DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

RCF HD32A MK4 or QSC K12.2

DJ Unique 9:01 PM - 27 February, 2019
Has anyone listened to both of these and compared sound?

I currently have QSC HPR122i and wanting lighter weight speakers. The HPR series is the predecessor to the KW series. Same Birchwood construction.

I have narrowed my search to these two options and would purchase matching bass bottoms.

QSC K12.2 with KW181
RCF HD32A MK4 with SUB905-AS ii

I do know the sound of this specific QSC setup but not the RCF.

Thanks
DJ Guayo 9:27 PM - 27 February, 2019
Not an exact comparison. I had a pair of KW152 and moved to the HD32A with 8004.

Watchwww.youtube.com

This bangs for most of my events, 150 to 200 people.
DJ Unique 11:54 PM - 27 February, 2019
Quote:
Not an exact comparison. I had a pair of KW152 and moved to the HD32A with 8004.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Did you use subs with your KW152
Arjun B 4:36 AM - 28 February, 2019
RCF
DJ Guayo 1:43 PM - 28 February, 2019
I didn't use subs with the KW152 so i can't compare the sound of the QSC tops to the RCF tops and bottoms, but tops to tops, the RCF HD32A has better throw and clarity. The KW got the job done, but the RCF tops sound better overall to me.

One thing to note though, the KW152 puts out better bass by itself than the HD32A. So if you're looking to run the HD32A standalone, be conscious of this.

Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Did you use subs with your KW152
DJ Unique 5:13 PM - 28 February, 2019
Thank you DJ Guayo
benictrs 12:20 AM - 17 March, 2019
So i own RCF hd32 & sub 905 mk2 .
I would say that the sub 8004 as would be a better match for the hd32’s .
Have tested the hd32’s vs qsc 12,2 and the rcf sounded better in my opinion .
DJ Unique 5:59 AM - 25 March, 2019
Quote:
So i own RCF hd32 & sub 905 mk2 .
I would say that the sub 8004 as would be a better match for the hd32’s .
Have tested the hd32’s vs qsc 12,2 and the rcf sounded better in my opinion .

I finally received and used this RCF system for a 150 people wedding and did like the sound of the HD32A's. I also agree that the SUB905-AS ii was not able to keep up with the tops but for Weddings this is OK for me.
DJ Guayo 2:07 PM - 26 March, 2019
That HD32A sounds super clean when hi passed with a sub. I noticed speeches during a wedding carried farther without having to crank the volume. The throw on these is great. You notice the same?
DJ Unique 6:49 PM - 26 March, 2019
Quote:
That HD32A sounds super clean when hi passed with a sub. I noticed speeches during a wedding carried farther without having to crank the volume. The throw on these is great. You notice the same?

Exactly the same.
Speeches sounded better than my old QSC speakers
Arjun B 8:05 PM - 26 March, 2019
The HD32 has a 3" voice coil powering the HF driver. A general rule of thumb is that a bigger voice coil = better performance.

On a HF driver:
- a bigger voice coil allows for a lower crossover point (RCF takes full advantage of this) which gives better midrange performance on a 2-way box and often improved HF performance
- allows for better clarity at higher SPL's & generally will be able to produce more output compared to smaller drivers
- offers much better throw and linearity in SPL over distance

The exit size of the HF driver also affects the sound and the shape of the sound but that's a whole different field.
Al Poulin 4:15 PM - 27 March, 2019
Warranty/service wise, the QSC wins, but for everything else (sound quality, output, intelligibility) RCF is the winner - no question.

Al
keys88 5:21 PM - 26 May, 2019
Has anyone tried/use both inputs into the HD32a at the same time running line signals into them, one line output in to the balanced XLR of the HD32a and one line output into the 1/4" input concurrently? Any issues doing this/overloading the HD32a or something else I'm not thinking of where this is not possible?

I have a UA twin interface(balanced line out) and a 1/4" unbalanced line out from my piano keyboard that I need to run into the speaker at the same time. I realize there's only one volume control on the HD32a but that's not a problem, I will control the volume individually on the interface and the keyboard and just set the overall volume on the HD32a. I do realize I can use a mixer but I would prefer not to on many levels, one more piece of equipment is not what I prefer. I currently have a QSC K12 and that has 2 channels/inputs of course so this is not an issue with the K12.