DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

WAV Tag Editor... id3 tags for .wav

musiclee 2:50 PM - 21 July, 2009
I am in the process of re-ripping all my music to .wav

is there any such thing as a WAV tag editor?
so that SSL sees artist/track name etc...?

thanks in advance
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:13 PM - 21 July, 2009
wav files can't hold tags.

aiff files do and they are the same quality as wavs
musiclee 3:22 PM - 21 July, 2009
but aiff are not the most pc friendly files,
i was hoping to have all my library as .wav
i may have to rethink this...
DPR250R 3:51 PM - 21 July, 2009
Quote:
but aiff are not the most pc friendly files,
i was hoping to have all my library as .wav
i may have to rethink this...

Have you tried ALAC?

Think Serato just started to support them.... maybe check them out...
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:52 PM - 21 July, 2009
thats going to be more apple friendly too.
musiclee 4:25 PM - 21 July, 2009
i want to use WAV or AIFF, NO loss , no compression, no zipping, no apple "lossless"

i'm leaning more towards AIFF, as it seems to hold tags

anyone here spin with AIFF? or wav?
musiclee 7:15 PM - 21 July, 2009
how do we edit AIFF tags?
any batch type program for this?
sixxx 7:20 PM - 21 July, 2009
You can edit AIFF tags with iTunes. That's what I do when I rip vinyl. I tag all my AIFF's so I can put them away safely in an external... then convert to mp3 and trash the AIFF's while keeping the originals (or copies).
musiclee 7:33 PM - 21 July, 2009
and if i take these AIFF's to another computer, and copy
it will retain the TAG info? in SSL?
musiclee 7:34 PM - 21 July, 2009
also, itunes s a VERY manual process, you have to do one at a time, which is a pain,

there's got to be an easier way as we do with mp3's and 3rd party programs
sixxx 7:37 PM - 21 July, 2009
Quote:
and if i take these AIFF's to another computer, and copy
it will retain the TAG info? in SSL?

Yes. It should retain the info.

and if you're tagging songs that you ripped... you have no choice but to tag manually. Stuff like album, year, etc... all can be done at once for a particular album or whatever. Song Title and Artist may need to be done individually unless the artist is the same for all the songs you're tagging.
SeriousCyrus 1:21 PM - 23 July, 2009
Quote:
also, itunes s a VERY manual process, you have to do one at a time, which is a pain,

there's got to be an easier way as we do with mp3's and 3rd party programs

I use Toast to make an audio disc of the wavs I want to import, save the disk image to the hard drive, then mount it (with Toast), iTunes thinks it's an audio CD and gets all the track info from CDDB (If it's available of course), then import the CD as AIFF. It's a pian, but still much quicker than editing each track by hand.

I then make mp3s for the iPod too, and differentiate by putting the file extension in the album title.

If there's an easier way, I'd love to know
musiclee 1:30 PM - 23 July, 2009
just to let everyone know, as many people do not know

WAV's CAN BE tagged, and i have started re-ripping everything to WAV

Tag& Rename does an excellent job with this tagging of .wav

and SSL sees the tags, no problem

so if you want to rip to WAV use itunes, or audiograbber, soundgrinder, or whatever, and then tag with Tag&Rename

if you want AIFF tagged, use itunes and it automatically tags them,
it jusyt sucks that you manually have to add the Artist to the track name, as you can't have itunes automatically generate "Artist - Track Name.wav"

Tag& Rename does not see AIFF, but there is no need as itunes takes care of tagging for you
musiclee 1:33 PM - 23 July, 2009
just to add:

before you tag WAV's with Tag&Rename, you chould name your files "Artist - Track Name.wav" so you can batch process the tag info automatically

use any batch renaming program for this, and the Tag&Rename is just 1 click, and BAM, you've got all your tags
donx 8:32 PM - 24 February, 2016
It should be noted that there are several tagging formats for WAV. Tag&Rename can do INFO chunk and ID3v2 tag, but there are also others like Cart Chunk, iXML, and Broadcast Audio Extension Chunk. A good review of these tagging formats is can be found at wavmetadata.blogspot.com