DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

When will a song be Clean enough for highschool

FREDDIE R 12:47 AM - 30 January, 2019
Hello I'm DJ ROWHAS. I'm a bit confused and need some advice or help. So here it goes I DJ for my Highschool during lunchtime. I get some complaints that my music isn't completely clean or edited. (It's from BPMSUPREME. I play mainly the clean versions of the songs. So I've been trying to keep it about PG. But we always know the highschool want stuff that there into (for example YG,Wiz khalifa, Drake just to name a few). SO it kinda makes it hard for song selection. So I just deal with it and keep it's PG. But pretty soon we have a high school dance coming up for sober graduation night , Sadie's , prom. And I'm planning to go all out with the song selection but with clean versions of the songs but some of the songs have very noticeable cuss words but censored in some way. Or we have songs like "aye ladies" idk by who but anyway that song has a girl moan Every so often. (Listen to it for yourself) should I add this song to the black list and not play it all? FYI (this is a highschool dance ) please tell me your opinion on what words can't be said or what can fly. Like I'm hesitant to play that's what I like by Bruno Mars because it's says sex.(because last time I got complained about that song talking about sex.
But the thing I find funny is when the other kids plug in their iphone and play clean versions from Apple music it's ok for them.
(So is the highschool dance a completely different ball?)
Songs im thinking of playing are
Shots-Lmfao
Blow the whistle- - Too short
Panoramic
Paranoid
Yiken
Trick - e-40 (bitch clean version)
Mo mamba
All songs are clean

DJS from the valley this Fresno unified School district. Fresno CA
So what's the difference between radio edit , clean , squeaky clean , radio dirty
If you guys would like to give me feedback and take the time to listen to the songs I will play you can hmu freddieriojas@hotmail.com and I can send you a unedited DJ set but it's just to grab a hearing of how clean my songs are.
Rebelguy 12:55 AM - 30 January, 2019
Just play the instrumentals. Haha. Jk

It’s a tough situation. Even if you play the clean versions the kids still sing a long saying all the dirty words. Have you joined the High School Dance Network? They usually comment on a songs playability at school functions. May sit down with the faculty and discuss the song selection. You can ask them if they have any banned songs and possibly play them the clean version you have of the most popular songs you might play at the dance.

Also it is guaranteed that if you play Blow the Whistle kids will scream out Bitch at that part. Haha.
577er 2:20 AM - 30 January, 2019
If it’s just students in the room then who cares? If it’s students complaining then tell them to get a life. If it’s adults in the room then just drop the song out at the offending parts and let the kids scream the explicit bits themselves. As long as you are playing the clean versions people need to realize that most popular music is mindless gaaaarbage and that’s the way people like it. If they have an issue just send them the files to review before hand and if they don’t veto a song in advance then do you. Just be sure to send them so many files they have no chance of listening to them all 😉
DJ Reflex 4:28 AM - 30 January, 2019
You can make your own "short edits" too. I have to do that with a lot of current hip-hop and rap music. Just cut out a verse or a chorus if it's too offensive. Reloop a chorus or a instrumental break too if needed. Takes a bit of work on Audacity, but you can customize your own songs.

Like RebelGuy said - check out www.schooldancenetwork.com
Won't give you the music direct, but will tell you what's clean enough to play at high schools.
Logisticalstyles 3:01 PM - 30 January, 2019
I probably wouldn't play Shots for a high school dance.

Quote:
Also it is guaranteed that if you play Blow the Whistle kids will scream out Bitch at that part.

For sure.
HK1200 5:50 PM - 30 January, 2019
For some reason this came to mind whilst reading this thread:

youtu.be
FREDDIE R 11:56 PM - 30 January, 2019
Quote:
If it’s just students in the room then who cares? If it’s students complaining then tell them to get a life. If it’s adults in the room then just drop the song out at the offending parts and let the kids scream the explicit bits themselves. As long as you are playing the clean versions people need to realize that most popular music is mindless gaaaarbage and that’s the way people like it. If they have an issue just send them the files to review before hand and if they don’t veto a song in advance then do you. Just be sure to send them so many files they have no chance of listening to them all 😉

HAHA, ill keep that in mind
FREDDIE R 12:06 AM - 31 January, 2019
Quote:
Just play the instrumentals. Haha. Jk

It’s a tough situation. Even if you play the clean versions the kids still sing a long saying all the dirty words. Have you joined the High School Dance Network? They usually comment on a songs playability at school functions. May sit down with the faculty and discuss the song selection. You can ask them if they have any banned songs and possibly play them the clean version you have of the most popular songs you might play at the dance.

Also it is guaranteed that if you play Blow the Whistle kids will scream out Bitch at that part. Haha.

No I just offered to play music for the school because our Leadership teacher was playing the same stuff over and over. Also, she didn't know to work the school PA system. (It was one of those weird 2-way speakers were you needed 2 amps one for the LF and The Other for The HF Driver.) So I would DJ off my laptop with Serato DJ Pro. they liked it so much that they showed me their other equipment. Turns out they had some Yamaha DXR12 which were much better. I played music during lunch. But they asked me to do the Football games and I did ofc with my DDJ-SB3. ) But anyway I'm just planning on reversing the songs bad parts with the censor button. Helps out so much.
deezlee 12:10 AM - 31 January, 2019
i dunno, when i played a mainstream highschool dance it was no songs about drugs or drinking. The kids only wanted the KMEL top 20 (bay area) current chart hits (hiphop/r&b).

Basically the songs that were left after skipping drug/alcohol songs were songs about sex which i guess was ok with the school as long as no swearing.

I guess it was appropriate music anyway because the kids all got in one clump on the middle of the dancefloor all night w the cool kids/hot girls in the middle grinding and the rest of the kids sorta half grinding around the outside sorta blocking the chaperones view. The "hump clump".

I guess being in high school these days is chilling at the homecoming dance looking bored while dry humping and checking your cellphone at the same time or something.
DJ Reflex 4:45 AM - 31 January, 2019
Quote:
I guess being in high school these days is chilling at the homecoming dance looking bored while dry humping and checking your cellphone at the same time or something.

LoL - True!