DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

OMNI: The Next Portable Turntable King

Djkom 5:13 AM - 19 January, 2019
www.kickstarter.com

I absolutely love it 😍😍😍

Not only this kickstarter project looks clean and ultra pro, the product itself has everything portablists/turntablists want:
- Two contactless magnetic crossfaders for left and right handed scratchers
- Metal platter
- Can play 7/10/12" vinyls
- Play/Stop button
- Real cartridge
- Ultra pitch -/+50% !!!
- High quality phono preamp
- Bluetooh receiver
- USB powered
- Bunch of inputs/outputs
- Custom color body

No mods needed !

It crazy how portablism projects are way more appealing to me than the traditionnal and boring 12" turntables (...mk7 πŸ˜’)

@Chino, THIS is the real "OMG" product πŸ˜‰
Djkom 2:12 PM - 20 January, 2019
The start-up behind this project:

instagram.com
HK1200 3:39 PM - 20 January, 2019
Cool, but how you gonna invoke the name of the sl1200 in your marketing literature and then offer me a belt driven turntable?
Djkom 5:18 PM - 20 January, 2019
Quote:
Cool, but how you gonna invoke the name of the sl1200 in your marketing literature and then offer me a belt driven turntable?

I'm talking about innovations / new ideas. Such small turntable doesn't really a direct drive since the belt drive has enough torque to play with 7" records in good conditions.

Sl1200 design is more 40 years old !!! The only "improvments" made in the mk7 are usefull to .. play regular vinyls, quite a non-sense when 99% of djs use dvs...

Guess which turntable was the best seller in 2017 and 2018 ?? => Numark pt01 scratch by far !!!
deejayfatcat 5:33 PM - 20 January, 2019
I’m not heavy into scratching but I can’t help be into the portabilism scene. I like how diy it is and I’m hoping the decks get good enough to use as a stage worthy mini dvs system.
HK1200 7:19 PM - 20 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I'm talking about innovations / new ideas. Such small turntable doesn't really a direct drive since the belt drive has enough torque to play with 7" records in good conditions.

Sl1200 design is more 40 years old !!! The only "improvments" made in the mk7 are usefull to .. play regular vinyls, quite a non-sense when 99% of djs use dvs...

Guess which turntable was the best seller in 2017 and 2018 ?? => Numark pt01 scratch by far !!!

I've laid hands on quite a few belt driven TT's over the years. I wouldn't want to scratch or mix on any of them. They're fine for simple playback, but if you plan on touching the record good fucking luck to you. The only thing these have in common with a 1200 is that they both play records... Presumably.

I dig the portability and the concept, but 1200's they're not... Especially if they're belt drive.

Enjoy your Geminis's though. Oh, I mean your Numarks. Lmao. We'll see how those decks are holding up in 10 or 20 years.
Djkom 10:56 PM - 20 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've laid hands on quite a few belt driven TT's over the years. I wouldn't want to scratch or mix on any of them. They're fine for simple playback, but if you plan on touching the record good fucking luck to you. The only thing these have in common with a 1200 is that they both play records... Presumably.

I dig the portability and the concept, but 1200's they're not... Especially if they're belt drive.

Enjoy your Geminis's though. Oh, I mean your Numarks. Lmao. We'll see how those decks are holding up in 10 or 20 years.

Portable turntables are not aimed to replace traditionnal turntables ! I still have my Numark TTX USB which are still doing good and I have no plans to buy other 12" turntables ! I had a pair of sl1200 mk2 before them and I can tell the TTXs are way more advanced than the Technics. The mark is full enough of basic turntables to avoid all the hype around the mk7.

Honestly I don't see any reason why they can't last 10 or 20 years considering how basically they are built and how it's easy/cheap to repair/improve them.

Portablism is really a culture: www.scratcheverywhere.com

If you can't understand, just let interested people talk about this subject.
Djkom 10:56 PM - 20 January, 2019
The market*
HK1200 11:29 PM - 20 January, 2019
I never suggested that they were. They were the ones who brought up the SL1200 in their marketing. Portabalism is cool, I dig it, I do. I appreciate the stuff for what it is, but don't come at me trying to tell me some belt driven mini turntable was inspired by the SL1200 as some selling point, because I would be absolutely stunned if the tactile feedback or platter response had anything in common with a 1200 whatsoever. I mean, what in DJ culture isn't inspired by the sl1200? It isn't an outright lie or anything, but get bent.
So Fresh 11:37 PM - 20 January, 2019
It’s all about the sc1000

I really want one

www.instagram.com
So Fresh 11:38 PM - 20 January, 2019
Djkom 8:15 AM - 21 January, 2019
Quote:

I really want one

www.instagram.com

Nice !!!!
dj_soo 9:06 AM - 21 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have you ever used a portable deck. It's plenty for scratching even if it's still a belt deck.
HK1200 6:28 PM - 28 January, 2019
Actually, it's been a minute. I knew a guy that had what must have been one of the early ones and I wasn't impressed, but apparently the market has figured it out. I was wrong.

I dig the product and hope it does well, but it still has dick to do with a 1200. Lol
Djkom 9:14 PM - 28 January, 2019
Quote:
Actually, it's been a minute. I knew a guy that had what must have been one of the early ones and I wasn't impressed, but apparently the market has figured it out. I was wrong.

I dig the product and hope it does well, but it still has dick to do with a 1200. Lol

πŸ˜…
s3kn0tr0n1c 12:13 PM - 29 January, 2019
Quote:

I really want one

www.instagram.com

HELLL YEEHHH.. Open source as well...I must get on this. Thx for heads up!!
Djkom 12:30 PM - 6 December, 2019
Finally 😍😍😍

Can't wait mine to arrive next week !

www.instagram.com
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:39 PM - 6 December, 2019
tempted for something to fuck around with on the desk, let us know how it is
dj_soo 12:32 AM - 7 December, 2019
I opted for the Reloop spin cause I got a bunch of store credit at a shop that stocks them although I’m waiting on back order. My innofader has already arrived for it and I’m itching to get to cutting.

Love to see a proper review!
Djkom 12:17 PM - 13 December, 2019
Just received mine a few hours ago,

I so excited !!! It's been a long time I wasn't that excited for a dj product 😍

www.instagram.com

www.instagram.com

This thing works with RKDJ (and any open DVS) without anything else thanks to its internal soundcard !!!
Res-Q 8:18 PM - 15 March, 2023
I would like to know what's the opinion of DJs who have had the Omni for some time now.
How often do you change stylus/belt?
Does it hold the test of time in terms of reliability?
Djkom 12:59 PM - 21 March, 2023
Quote:
I would like to know what's the opinion of DJs who have had the Omni for some time now.
How often do you change stylus/belt?
Does it hold the test of time in terms of reliability?

Hi Res-Q, I've change the stylus for a Shure M44 so no need to change it yet...The original one started to skip that's why I changed.
No issue at all with the belt or motor, this thing is a beast !
So far so good !! My only "complain" is the crossfader which is really too light for my taste (reminds me the crossfader on the Vestax Samurai series), it litteraly flys, i'd like it to have a bit more resistance
Res-Q 3:23 PM - 22 March, 2023
thx for the feedback Kom