Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Denon DJ Prime 4 shuffled the market

Telony Ex 5:31 PM - 17 January, 2019
Looking at this piece of gear and think its not a game changer would be a lie.
It has everything any dj could ask for. Including affordability.

4 decks stand alone
Sdj pro support comming soon
On jod display
Hdd ad on
Onboard colour fx
Built in touch screen for library etc

Only drawback i notice so far is the single usb B port, which means only one pc connected at a time.
But no big deal.

This has potential to be a game changer
Itchin_4_A_Scratch 7:36 AM - 18 January, 2019
People tend to get excited about new Denon products but for some reason never buy them or buy them and get rid of them.

Seems to be something that prevents them from capturing the intended customer base.
Kmxorbit 10:20 AM - 18 January, 2019
I'm considering Denon for a longer time already for their Prime series.
This time I think they nailed it for me. This will probably be my next unit.

Just wondering what the integration with Serato DJ will be.
PositiveTek 1:46 PM - 18 January, 2019
I bought a single Denon sc5000 prime recently, and now plan to sell my nxs2s. The double layer feature is not only learnable/useable after an hour or so of using it, but it sort of makes you re-conceptualize part of what you spend your time doing when DJing/mixing. It also 'feels' better than the nxs2s.

I've used Serato with it once in HID mode, and though I normally don't use players as HID controllers, the ability to easily set-up/run all four decks and barely have to look at the laptop makes me re-think HID stuff too. It's not 100% perfect but it's about as close to perfect - within reason - that a DJ player might get. Though I much more prefer a single $999 sc5000 opposed to two $2100 Pioneer CDJ-2000nxs2s .

The DJ Prime 4 has some actual, new/innovative elements and even if it 'fails' (though something doesn't have to 'beat' Pioneer to win...it's totally possible to have two companies making DJ gear, /rant), it might force Pioneer (and Denon) to up their game beyond the status quo.
Illiment 2:42 PM - 18 January, 2019
for everything the prime 4 has including standalone capabilities, I can't wait to see the complainers come in talking about what it's missing lol.
PositiveTek 4:23 PM - 18 January, 2019
Quote:
for everything the prime 4 has including standalone capabilities, I can't wait to see the complainers come in talking about what it's missing lol.

I'm keeping a running list of them as I find them...that is, quotes from ridiculous compainers, not things that are missing (Though srsly, only ONE 2.5-inch SATA internal drive bay? What if Circuit City had a two for one sale and I then owned TWO? I'd be wasting my money!)
popnwave 5:29 PM - 18 January, 2019
Quote:
I'm keeping a running list of them as I find them...that is, quotes from ridiculous compainers, not things that are missing (Though srsly, only ONE 2.5-inch SATA internal drive bay? What if Circuit City had a two for one sale and I then owned TWO? I'd be wasting my money!)

Stuff like that is how people create excuses when they don't have the resources to jump into it. Same way people will trash a new Samsung Galaxy or iPhone for anything more than cost.

There's a good selection of stuff now - you can go all Pioneer to mimic a lot of club setups with a mixer and 2 CDJ/XDJs, go 2/4CH controllers for portability, stick with TTs or move to Rane TWELVES!
Illiment 5:32 PM - 18 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

hhahaha that's what I meant. People are ridiculous. I already saw a few, but I forget what they were. For the longest time "standalone" with the ability to just play off flash drives was the biggest issue for a lot of complainers. Now they have that PLUS the ability to install an SSD, and ppl still not happy. It's insane.
Illiment 5:34 PM - 18 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Stuff like that is how people create excuses when they don't have the resources to jump into it. Same way people will trash a new Samsung Galaxy or iPhone for anything more than cost.

There's a good selection of stuff now - you can go all Pioneer to mimic a lot of club setups with a mixer and 2 CDJ/XDJs, go 2/4CH controllers for portability, stick with TTs or move to Rane TWELVES!

exactly, between all the viable options available now the complaints from idiots should be at a minimum. Like honestly wtf do you have to complain about here in 2019. The advancements in dj tech happening right now are mindblowing.
Illiment 5:36 PM - 18 January, 2019
Back on topic though, Denon is really coming for the crown right now. Once the sc5000m's have full serato HID support and serato support on the prime 4...damn. Pioneer got some catching up to do.
PositiveTek 5:56 PM - 18 January, 2019
Quote:
Pioneer got some catching up to do.

I'm sure the latest features in Kuvo will be next level game changers.

But yes, back on topic, the fact that the sc5000 can connect to the Prime4 and then controlled via the screen etc is 1) awesome and 2) gives me hope that Denon is thinking 'extended eco system integrarion' opposed to, for example, creating an amazing standalone DJ sampler but then cripling it so it becomes a toy instead of something great.
Itchin_4_A_Scratch 6:12 PM - 18 January, 2019
But we have seen it all before.
Denon drops something that has great features and the early adopters say how well it works but in a minute it's gone and Denon has moved on.

Until they get a grasp on why that keeps happening they will continue the same ole cycle.

Personally the thing that keeps getting me about the whole standalone thing is that it seems to be going at people with the club layout, get ready for the club etc when it to me it would be more viable to market it to mobile DJs.
The world wants you to think that if you don't have a club residency you aren't a DJ.

With all the options we now have you have got to stop letting the internet make your decision for you.
Find what works for you and understand why something doesn't work for you.

I would rather Denon gave more hands on knobs with a nice layout for screen use than a touch screen.
Touch screens have always been a problem for me because of the size of my hands and how they take away from my focus by assuring I touch only what I am trying to touch.
Also the pictures of what appears to be the default layout looks like the wave forms are really eating up available screen.
I wonder if there will be options to change how it's displayed or what is displayed?

Will be even more interesting to see what else InMusic is trying to do since they are showing that they want to save Akai, Rane and Denon.
What are they planning for Numark?
dj_soo 7:09 PM - 18 January, 2019
The big test for me is how well Denon supports the SC5000 moving forward after this unit drops or if they abandon it like they've abandoned all their other stuff in the past leaving their paying customers out in the cold. I thought that the InMusic purchase might have changed some of their shitty customer service practices, but the way they dealt with the MCX8000 and the myriad of complaints about it (basically never acknowledging all the faults, trying to blame it on user error, deleting posts in their forum regarding common bugs, zero transparency on any firmware updates etc) shows that they are kind of up to their old tricks - although the late stage 8000 firmware update helped a bit.

If they release a firmware update to the SC5000s with some of the new features in the Prime4All (like the native key shifting and playlist editing), then that would be a good sign for them caring about their paying customers rather than only chasing success of their next big release.
DJ Stygma 7:34 PM - 18 January, 2019
I am definitely going to pick one of these up, the fact you can put a SSD in it is amazing. My only issue right now is, where is the sampler?
Itchin_4_A_Scratch 10:26 PM - 18 January, 2019
Quote:
The big test for me is how well Denon supports the SC5000 moving forward after this unit drops or if they abandon it like they've abandoned all their other stuff in the past leaving their paying customers out in the cold. I thought that the InMusic purchase might have changed some of their shitty customer service practices, but the way they dealt with the MCX8000 and the myriad of complaints about it (basically never acknowledging all the faults, trying to blame it on user error, deleting posts in their forum regarding common bugs, zero transparency on any firmware updates etc) shows that they are kind of up to their old tricks - although the late stage 8000 firmware update helped a bit.

If they release a firmware update to the SC5000s with some of the new features in the Prime4All (like the native key shifting and playlist editing), then that would be a good sign for them caring about their paying customers rather than only chasing success of their next big release.

Glad someone else remembers Denon's track record.
Like I said they are trying real hard with this product but the product isn't the real issue Denon is.
I put Traktor to the side because I didn't like Native Instruments' direction with the products or software.
Right now I have no issues with Serato except tempo detection but that will be ok once I finish migrating my entire library from Traktor.

I guess unlike most I can't find anything about the Prime 4 that draws me in it's direction.
Of course I'm gonna check it out when available but it just looks too ergonomically uncomfortable for me based on what I'm seeing so far.
PositiveTek 11:17 PM - 18 January, 2019
"Maybe this time it will be different..." said my tombstone.
dj_soo 8:45 PM - 19 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Pioneer got some catching up to do.

I'm sure the latest features in Kuvo will be next level game changers.

But yes, back on topic, the fact that the sc5000 can connect to the Prime4 and then controlled via the screen etc is 1) awesome and 2) gives me hope that Denon is thinking 'extended eco system integrarion' opposed to, for example, creating an amazing standalone DJ sampler but then cripling it so it becomes a toy instead of something great.

don't worry - Pioneer already has the answer to this with these $600 headphones.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Cause all that carbon fiber is really going to make a difference to your DJing.
PositiveTek 9:52 PM - 19 January, 2019
Quote:
don't worry - Pioneer already has the answer to this with these $600 headphones

Seriously, I saw that 'announcement' and felt like some prankster was trolling me at Pioneer DJ because there was NO WAY that Pioneer's calculated pre-NAMM move, in the shadow of Prime 4 and the Akai, was to drop a pointless and expensive special edition of their excellent though already pricey headphones. Would love to know what people on the inside really think ...wow.
DJ Xio 12:04 AM - 20 January, 2019
It's coming next week... CDJs are also due for an update. 3 Years now!
djsimonse 1:47 PM - 2 July, 2019
Has anybody got it to work with Serato DJ Pro?