Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Eliminating buzzing noise (Direct audio output from Serato?)

user1502782 1:15 PM - 14 January, 2019
Hello, I've got the problem, that my DJ Controller creates a ground loop and so is letting my Speakers and Headphones (which isn't that big of a problem and not fixable without opening the controller anyways I think) giving out a relatively loud humming/buzzing sound. Also sometimes the audio cracks/glitches.

I use the controller on a PC, which is connected to an amplifier via an digital optical cable (toslink).

So I thought I have 2 possibilities if I dont want directly to buy an Ground Loop Isolator, because I've spend very much in the last month.

1. Make Serato DJ Pro direct the Audio Signals directly to the amplifier. But I guess there is no opportunity to do this, right? Or is there anyway to do this at Windows 10 or even in the Software itself? This would be the best solution, since it would eliminate the ground loop problem and the audio glitch problem.

2. Connecting the DJ Controller via Line In to my PC, and somehow filter the ground loop noise with a software.

Or maybe isn't this even a ground loop, so if I would buy a Ground Loop Isolator as my last chance it wouldn't make it different? Could this be something else too?

If I remember right, the noise is not static, at least at the headphone output i think, and it gets louder everytime an LED light blinks.

Or maybe you even got an other Idea how I could fix it? Please let me know.

Thank you for reading
user1502782 1:17 PM - 14 January, 2019
Quote:

2. Connecting the DJ Controller via Line In to my PC, and somehow filter the ground loop noise with a software.

If it's not clear; here I'm asking if you know a software, a setting or anything else that helps at Windows 10.
DJ Tecniq 3:06 PM - 14 January, 2019
It would help greatly if you told us what hardware you are using? Secondly have you tried another outlet? It could just be the location your are connected to and not the controller itself.
DJ JulioYEG 4:41 PM - 14 January, 2019
have you tried a power conditioner?
17tr2 5:57 PM - 14 January, 2019
"I use the controller on a PC, which is connected to an amplifier via an digital optical cable (toslink)."

You need to list your equipment because that doesn't make sense. You should be connecting your controller to an amp, and as far as I know, no Serato controller has a digital out. Also, the noise may not be a ground loop.
DJ JulioYEG 6:18 PM - 14 January, 2019
what kind of a dj amp has a spdif output lol
user1502782 5:31 AM - 15 January, 2019
Quote:
It would help greatly if you told us what hardware you are using? Secondly have you tried another outlet? It could just be the location your are connected to and not the controller itself.

Hi, it's just a Numark Mixtrack Platinum. Didn't try another outlet, but it's probably the controller since its at the headphone output too, luckily a bit more quiet.

Quote:
have you tried a power conditioner?

No, I use the controller very rare, so my first choice to try would be a ground loop isolator because its cheaper and doesnt take so much room.

Quote:
"I use the controller on a PC, which is connected to an amplifier via an digital optical cable (toslink)."

You need to list your equipment because that doesn't make sense. You should be connecting your controller to an amp, and as far as I know, no Serato controller has a digital out. Also, the noise may not be a ground loop.

Oh yea sorry, so when I wrote that I had my controller connected to my PC via chinch to the Line In Input, and set it so that the Line In Input Sound does come out again of my PC's Toslink Output, because with this my cable lays better from the place where I use the controller. First I've connected the controller directly to the amplifier, but of course the problem stays with both, and so I chose the option which is more comfortable.

Quote:
what kind of a dj amp has a spdif output lol

Haha it's a 5.1 Home Amplifier. Ive got a 5.1 Hifi System connected to it. And sometimes I also use my PC to stream music to it, so it is connected to my PC too.
user1502782 7:59 AM - 15 January, 2019
Oh and I forgot to say, that it just starts buzzing, when Serato is open. If Serato is closed there is no noise. Can this still be a ground loop or what is the cause?

Because I actually wanted to buy a Isolator now because it doesnt seem that there is another possibility, but what if it isnt even a ground loop, would the isolator even be able to filter the frequencies or signals if it isnt a ground loop?

But more important to know for me what could be the cause if it isnt a ground loop by my PC or the Controller?
user1502782 8:21 AM - 15 January, 2019
Quote:
Oh and I forgot to say, that it just starts buzzing, when Serato is open. If Serato is closed there is no noise. Can this still be a ground loop or what is the cause?

Nevermind, it just gets much more louder then.

Maybe I should just send the controller back? Because I have Audio Dropouts which Im sure are not coming out of my USB Port, and just are getting created by the soundcard in the controller, then this buzzing which maybe comes from my PC and a high frequency beeping everytime a LED blinks....
DJ Tracy G. 7:41 PM - 16 January, 2019
If you unplug the laptop power do you still hear the hum?
17tr2 10:03 PM - 16 January, 2019
You're not supposed to use anything other than your controllers output for Serato. To be honest, I was surprised you could get any type of output from your PC. Try disconnecting everything audio related, digital and analog, from your pc and only use the usb connection from your pc to controller, and the analog audio outputs from the controller to the HT system.

If that doesn't fix the problem, you most likely have too much gain in the system. Your controller is a preamp and your HT receiver has a preamp built in. Try different volume settings on both units. Experiment and see if you can get the noise to go away. Also, don't use any processing on your HTR. Just have it play stereo because that's what your controller is outputting. Don't use any room correction or tone controls either. Just use the adjustments on your controller.
user1502782 12:37 PM - 18 January, 2019
Quote:
You're not supposed to use anything other than your controllers output for Serato. To be honest, I was surprised you could get any type of output from your PC. Try disconnecting everything audio related, digital and analog, from your pc and only use the usb connection from your pc to controller, and the analog audio outputs from the controller to the HT system.

If that doesn't fix the problem, you most likely have too much gain in the system. Your controller is a preamp and your HT receiver has a preamp built in. Try different volume settings on both units. Experiment and see if you can get the noise to go away. Also, don't use any processing on your HTR. Just have it play stereo because that's what your controller is outputting. Don't use any room correction or tone controls either. Just use the adjustments on your controller.

Thank you so much, I just chose the Pure Direct Mode on the Amplifier and the noise seems to be completely gone! Thank you very much! So you was right, it was probably either too much gain from post processing, or disorder by the video circuit.
After I wrote this I was testing more, and just saw that it disappeared in every mode except a Dolby one, but even there it got more quiet. I didn't try that with cabled you wrote, so actually everything is the same. Hm, weird. Well, it's working, and I just hope it doesn't come back, even if I would like to know what suddenly made that it disappeared. I probably will never know.

But anyways, hank you for your answer, it did help!

Quote:
If you unplug the laptop power do you still hear the hum?

Thank you too for your answer even if I was not connected to a laptop
Serge86 6:14 AM - 4 September, 2019
Hi, everyone! I also hear some buzzing, but none of your advices helped me. What else can I try?
Helen26 10:03 AM - 4 September, 2019
Quote:
Hi, everyone! I also hear some buzzing, but none of your advices helped me. What else can I try?

Recently my friend had some problems and it seems to me that he found solution at this site amplifierexperts.com. Try! Maybe it will help you
Res-Q 12:06 PM - 4 September, 2019
Does your laptop have a power plug with the ground ? (3 prongs?
If it does buy a 2$ adaptor to make the 3 prongs become 2 in order to bypass the earth prong on your cpu power adapter