DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Clipping / Redlining speakers

Ollie 5:30 PM - 2 January, 2019
How loud and how long can you run a speaker to the point where it's permanently damaged.
I've couple of the Altos TS300 series that run at 2000watts. I do notice though that there
are times where the little red dot would light up. Not consistently but at times when the bass hits it would slightly turn red. Is this normal at most gigs and how long before I blow the speaker?
Ulrich von Hurtem 6:41 PM - 2 January, 2019
You're fine. If it's stay red all the time, turn down.
RR437T 12:53 AM - 3 January, 2019
I have no idea how they get away with telling people that a $300 powered speaker has an amp capable of 2000 watts, peak or otherwise. Either way, the best way to tell is to listen to them. Its very easy to tell if an amp/speaker combo is straining. If it sounds like you're doing damage, you probably are. If it sounds like the speaker is comfortable playing at its current volume, you should have nothing to worry about.
DJ Reflex 5:09 AM - 5 January, 2019
Saw two DJs at a wedding try to rock a large outdoor crowd with 2 Mackie Thumps. Those things were clipping all night and smelled like they were going to blow at any second. They were literally smoking out the back! Sounded like crap too.

They had no clue. SMH