Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

SDJ 2.1 forgetting Keys

Mikkel Thomsen 7:46 PM - 21 December, 2018
HI Serato

After updating to SDJ 2.1 serato forget key tags on random tracks

i have 10.000 tracks and serrate have forgot tags on 2500 tracks.. i loaded them

when i opened serato again 200 key tags was missing again.

im on OSX
popnwave 11:14 PM - 21 December, 2018
Do they load ok in 2.0.x still?
Mikkel Thomsen 11:36 PM - 21 December, 2018
Back to 2.0.5 ... No problem :)
Garytii 1:32 PM - 22 December, 2018
I'm having the same problem!!!!!
popnwave 4:00 PM - 22 December, 2018
Dang between a noticeably longer launch time compared to 2.0.x and these tag/library issues, I bet we see an update soon. I'm sticking to 2.0.x for now.
pudpoh 7:41 PM - 22 December, 2018
If you use an external drive or have your music on a separate partition 2.1.0 is not writing it's database to the root of the drive, instead it's writing it to the internal drive. This is a severe bug that should have been spotted in beta, my advice do not install this release if you don't want your database and crates messed up.
dj_soo 8:46 PM - 23 December, 2018
Yea this is a bug. Hopefully they fix it soon cause it’s super annoying.

What I do is sort my library by key, select all the tracks with missing keys and then click on the Files tab and drag and drop the selected tracks on the rescan id3 tags button.

If you have a shit ton of missing key files, use 2.0.5 and do the same first and it should fix the majority of the missing key files, but I find any track you load in 2.1 will lose the key tags at the beginning of each session.

I’d go back to 2.0.5 if you don’t need the new features in 2.1.
pudpoh 8:55 PM - 23 December, 2018
Download it again, a new build of 2.1.0 was released a couple of days ago, 210797 was patched to fix the library and database issues.
Serato, Moderator
James_M 10:08 PM - 23 December, 2018
Hi guys,

That's correct. There had been some work done around tags to facilitate the streaming services, which lead to the problem you describe here.

We patched the issue quickly and you should not experience this with the (very) latest 2.1.0 build of Serato DJ Pro.

If you're encountering this issue with tags missing, or going to an internal drive, please visit serato.com and re-install the application.
dj_soo 10:16 PM - 23 December, 2018
doesn't seem like the new build fixed the key tagging issue.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:36 AM - 24 December, 2018
Hi everyone,

We can reproduce the issue that you have described, it is new to 2.1. Note that the Key tag is still there (it will display again if you load the track to a deck or Rescan ID3 Tags) but it is not displayed in the library after a restart. If this is important to you, please roll back to the previous release of Serato DJ (2.0.5).

For everyone who is having this issue, can you please let me know the file extension of the problem files? So far we have only reproduced it with .m4a files.

We will aim to have a fix in a future update.

Cheers,
Michael.
dj_soo 3:41 AM - 24 December, 2018
I’ve had it happen on MP3, AAC, and ALAC files.
DJ Rob Dinero 6:32 AM - 24 December, 2018
This happens to me as well...every MP3 I played from last night (on 2.0.5) the key tag is now missing... but only after I updated to the latest 2.1 build.
dj_soo 6:35 AM - 24 December, 2018
are you using itunes?
DJ Rob Dinero 6:45 AM - 24 December, 2018
yeah I use iTunes, same way I have been since Scratch Live was still around
dj_soo 8:32 AM - 24 December, 2018
I think it's specifically an issue with itunes - at least that's what I've tracked it down to.

So basically anytime you make a change to a tag in itunes, it'll lose the key. Once that key is gone, it can be brought back by reanalyzing, rescanning the id3 tag within serato, making a change to a tag in serato, or just loading the track.

Each subsequent time you launch 2.1 tho, the key tag will disappear again. The only way to get the key tag to appear is to reload the tag, and then launch 2.0.5, let itunes rescan, and then quit.
Ize 6:57 PM - 20 August, 2019
This problem is still occurring in 2.2+

Also, if you don't have 2.05 already, the download or 2.05 for Mac zip file contains the 64bit Windows .exe file as of this moment:

serato.com
dj_soo 8:35 PM - 20 August, 2019
I haven’t seen this issue since they introduced the fix in 2.1.1 or whatever it was - on Mojave for OS X.

What behaviour are you seeing in 2.2 that you see this occurring?
Ize 9:33 PM - 20 August, 2019
Fortunately the install worked this time when I opened the package for 2.05 it didn't just open an .exe file.

However, I just tested to see if the problem went away and it is still happening.

I do use Mixed In Key 8 and have tried several different approaches to addressing this but none appear to be working.

I've tried several "fixes" as well as Mixed In Key's suggestions (re-tagging, re-analyzing, removing from their library and then analyzing, etc.). After I analyze it in Serato DJ It shows the change, I close the program, then reopen it. It's back to the way it was before I did anything (either no keys showing, or no updates to the keys).

It won't keep any key changes I try to make in Serato DJ either.
Ize 9:37 PM - 20 August, 2019
I should add, I've been using Scratch Live for years with this same library, and began to experience problems of this nature a little bit before moving to Serato DJ the past year.

I finally moved in part because I thought perhaps the problem was due to the outdated software and hardware.

That is not the case, yet the problem persists.
Ize 11:13 PM - 20 August, 2019
Quote:
I haven’t seen this issue since they introduced the fix in 2.1.1 or whatever it was - on Mojave for OS X.

What behaviour are you seeing in 2.2 that you see this occurring?

I'm using High Sierra. Could that be a part of the story?

I just went back to 2.2.2

Problem still occurring.
dj_soo 2:54 AM - 21 August, 2019
I found that once you had the problem appear in 2.1, you had to reset the id3 tags and then open up 2.2 (or 2.0.5) to get the tags to stick.

You say you’ve been using scratchlive for the longest time - have you rescanned all your files in dj pro yet or are you still using a mish mash of old scans and analysis?
Ize 2:34 PM - 23 August, 2019
I believe I had, but I just did again and problem is still occurring.
Ize 6:15 PM - 18 August, 2020
Quote:
I found that once you had the problem appear in 2.1, you had to reset the id3 tags and then open up 2.2 (or 2.0.5) to get the tags to stick.

You say you’ve been using scratchlive for the longest time - have you rescanned all your files in dj pro yet or are you still using a mish mash of old scans and analysis?

I know it was a year ago since I replied, but you said "reset the id3 tags."

Do you mean erase all if my id3 tags or "rescan" them?

I re-analyzed all songs after the reply and the same problem continues to occur.

Serato DJ is not remembering certain songs added and I have to keep adding the same files over and re-analyizing.

Meanwhile every time I open Serato the same songs are asked to be re-analyzed and arguably worse, other songs tagged and analyzed originally in Mixed In Key and then re-tagged with updated tags by Mixed In Key for in the Key and Comments boxes are only showing the changes after I load them as a song.

This is also impacting my own edits/tags I made in Serato in the Grouping box, which I've made Smart Folders to search for but render useless as it doesn't find the updated tags with a searchable word or phrase.

This is all very frustrating and has made using this so difficult and time consuming over the past 2 years or so.

I'm really lost.

I've just switched the files to a brand now external hard drive with the same data and the problem is still the same.

I'd love some more guidance. Thanks.