DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Using TRS vs Mono 1/4" male plugs

Ollie 8:29 PM - 20 December, 2018
Connecting from the DJM-S9 main outs (xlr) to my mixboard.
The channel inputs on the mixboard are stereo 1/4"
Does it make a difference if I'm using TRS 1/4" vs the Mono 1/4" plugs? Or will it sound
sound the same regardless which one i use?
dj_soo 8:47 PM - 20 December, 2018
TRS is properly balanced, mono 1/4” is not. Shouldn’t be a difference unless you’re running cables longer than 20 feet.
Ollieboy 10:22 PM - 20 December, 2018
Quote:
TRS is properly balanced, mono 1/4” is not. Shouldn’t be a difference unless you’re running cables longer than 20 feet.

Thanks Dj_soo
DJ Intrigue 11:11 PM - 20 December, 2018
Since you have a DJM S9 here is exactly what you want to do with the 1/4 plugs. Grab a tube of superglue and put a load of it onto the tip of the 1/4 male and insert into your mixer (10" cables are idea). Let it set for 24-48 hours.

Take your S9 with 1/4 cables glued in outside, place the other end of the 1/4 cables into your trunk and slam your trunk shut. The S9 should now be placed onto the street behind your vehicle and the cables should be crimped under your trunk lid, nice and secure.

Back up said vehicle (try and turn to crunch S9). Search for nearest guitar center on your phone and enter into navigation. Now drive as fast as you can erratically on the highway, in your rearview you should see said mixer bouncing off pavement (there wont be any sparks because there is no metal in unit).

Pull up to Guitar Center (hopefully S9 is melted and/or broken off and no longer exists) and get yourself a Rane 72. If you cant afford one finance through guitar center.

Great work!
RR437T 12:53 AM - 23 December, 2018
Quote:
Connecting from the DJM-S9 main outs (xlr) to my mixboard.
The channel inputs on the mixboard are stereo 1/4"
Does it make a difference if I'm using TRS 1/4" vs the Mono 1/4" plugs? Or will it sound
sound the same regardless which one i use?

It depends. A TRS cable is typically used as a single channel balanced IC, or a stereo single ended connection, like on a pair of headphones. Where you need to be careful is in the circuit topology of the individual components you are connecting. Its clear that your mixer is a single ended (unbalanced) component. Your S9, however, may or may not be putting out a balanced signal. This is something you need to know before you begin. Bal and SE are not compatible, so a conversion needs to be made. If the S9 is really putting out a balanced signal, there should be some way to change it to SE. This will definitely be in the manual. If its not mentioned, check the specs. If you only see one set of specs, then disregard all of this and just make the connection. If you see a 2nd set, and the output is 6db higher, that would indicate its capable of balanced operation. You just need to make sure the output on the S9 is putting out an unbalanced signal.

If you already connected the 2 components and everything works and sounds OK, you're good. If not, unhook everything deal with the mismatch.
Ollie 5:09 PM - 25 December, 2018
Thank you RR347T !!!
deezlee 5:45 PM - 25 December, 2018
I've never seen a mixing board with stereo inputs, are you sure about that part?
DJ Reflex 9:31 PM - 25 December, 2018
Quote:
I've never seen a mixing board with stereo inputs, are you sure about that part?

I was thinking the same thing. Are you talking about two separate 1/4 inputs per mixer channel (left & right)? What mixer are you using?
RR437T 12:19 AM - 26 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing. Are you talking about two separate 1/4 inputs per mixer channel (left & right)? What mixer are you using?

They make them. I just checked one of mine to be sure. You can input stereo 3 ways. It has a built in dac, so the usb input is stereo. For analog, it has one set of rca inputs, and a bunch of 1/4 inch channels that are combined. On the back is has something like channels 10 and 11 labeled left and right, and on the front, it has one slider labeled 10/11 that controls both channels.

Keep in mind that the mixer I just checked is not a very high end unit. Its a Behringer 2222 something, and is probably more consumer grade, than pro. If you guys are used to higher end mixers, you probably know just to use 2 mono channels.
dj_soo 2:48 AM - 26 December, 2018
Quote:

Tons of them have it - my 10 year old soundcraft mixer has 3 stereo ins - two sets of 1/4” and on rca
deezlee 9:48 AM - 26 December, 2018
Yeah of course there are. I read it as his mixer having stereo jacks for inputs which sounded crazy but I read it wrong.
DJ Intrigue 4:35 PM - 26 December, 2018
Did you sacks of shit not read my response? We offer you NO WORDS OF ADVISE IF YOU USE A PIONEER SHIT 9 MIXER YOU FUCKING PEON.
Ollie 8:47 PM - 26 December, 2018
Pyle 8 channel mixboard. It's a lower end board but states the channel inputs are stereo.
www.amazon.com
Ollie 8:49 PM - 26 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Pyle 8 channel mixboard. It's a lower end board but states the 1/4 channel inputs are stereo.
www.amazon.com
deezlee 12:32 AM - 27 December, 2018
Just to clarify, the stereo channels (5/6 for example) have two mono 1/4" input jacks (R & L).

Anyway, this is the answer to your question:
Quote:

I'd just run XLRs from the S9 to the XLR inputs on channels 1& 2 on the Plye.
Pan them L/R for stereo or straight up for mono.

From the image on that link, your mixer definitely has balanced inputs on the first 4 channels.
dj_soo 12:47 AM - 27 December, 2018
Most mixers’ xlr inputs are usually mic pres - so remember to turn the gain way down.

Some have a switcher or a pad option to get the input back to line level.

I usually just stick with xlr to 1/4” cables for line level input on my mixers.
Lou Dog 12:55 AM - 27 December, 2018
Dj soo nailed it. Def go line level. You'll get much more headroom
deezlee 1:01 AM - 27 December, 2018
His has that but sure either way.

My Mackie has unity marks on the gain knob instead of a pad button.

Trippy that that Pyle doesn't have unity markings.
dj_soo 3:33 AM - 27 December, 2018
that pyle has pad buttons
DJ Reflex 10:48 PM - 27 December, 2018
LOL - Yeah, but no "stereo inputs".