Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Thoughts on Soundcloud+ / Tidal

DJ Intrigue 7:22 PM - 13 December, 2018
Hello my beloveds,

I gave Tidal a shot, but no its not going to replace my Spotify. Just too many Artists the wife loves that aren't on the platform.

What is Soundcloud + all about?
DJ JulioYEG 8:03 PM - 13 December, 2018
love u
DJ Intrigue 9:15 PM - 13 December, 2018
Quote:
love u

My guy Julio! Heeyyyyyyy. I was reading in another forum that the soundcloud audio quality is doo doo.
YZ 10:43 PM - 13 December, 2018
Tidal library is weak if you're any sort of digger for music. Spotify is the easy king, I'm not even messing with those features yet.... and who the hell uses Soundcloud anymore? I didn't even know they were still popular?
popnwave 12:03 AM - 14 December, 2018
Quote:
Tidal library is weak if you're any sort of digger for music. Spotify is the easy king, I'm not even messing with those features yet.... and who the hell uses Soundcloud anymore? I didn't even know they were still popular?

Not really, 2 years ago I would have agreed, but considering Tidal and Spotify are both over 25million tracks... not anymore
Gio Alex 10:00 PM - 14 December, 2018
I've used to do a mix. I only mostly use spotify, so I signed up for the super premium Tidal trial. I believe tracks are at 705k. I used soundiiz.com to import my spotify playlists to tidal. It was pretty cool.

I did it at home and used a zoom recorder to record the mix since I was running the beta of 2.1 at the time.

Can you still not record mixes if streaming in the official version?
popnwave 10:19 PM - 14 December, 2018
Even in the final version, use of either streaming platform turns off internal recording. You'll still need a recorder like you mentioned.
Gio Alex 11:24 PM - 14 December, 2018
Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up.
Gio Alex 11:25 PM - 14 December, 2018
The irony is this is the only reason I would use this feature. Record mixes for songs I wouldn't normally buy to play at the club/bar. Experimental/chill tracks.
djcrap 4:55 PM - 16 December, 2018
they missed the ball here! i mean they should have included video streaming for tidal!

there are so many had to find music videos in the tidal catalog
plus it would have been a go to most djs to be the first to break new music videos in clubs or to customers before they hit the pool which equals more play and promotion for the artists.
musiclee 5:27 PM - 16 December, 2018
Sorry but NOTHING compares to Spotify
Spotify is amazing.
It’s a shame I have to use it on my iPad with djay

Spotify has ALL music I need and then some
It has all my Portuguese. Spanish, Brazilian and of course American

That’s all Serato needs, this 1 music service

I so so wish Serato teamed up with them
Other have, why not Serato ???
Dj Wunder 6:39 PM - 16 December, 2018
Quote:
Sorry but NOTHING compares to Spotify
Spotify is amazing.
It’s a shame I have to use it on my iPad with djay

Spotify has ALL music I need and then some
It has all my Portuguese. Spanish, Brazilian and of course American

That’s all Serato needs, this 1 music service

Serato has teamed up with Spotify, in an app named "Pyro".

Imagine a world where you listen and create playlists on the go with Pyro or Spotify and those new playlists are waiting for you in your gig laptop...
Gio Alex 9:13 PM - 16 December, 2018
Quote:

Same here. I’m sure tidal probably offered a better deal. We all have Spotify and I doubt I’ll renew this tidal trial just to casually stream music. I’ve had Spotify for years and don’t plan on changing that.
popnwave 11:39 PM - 16 December, 2018
Quote:
they missed the ball here! i mean they should have included video streaming for tidal!

there are so many had to find music videos in the tidal catalog
plus it would have been a go to most djs to be the first to break new music videos in clubs or to customers before they hit the pool which equals more play and promotion for the artists.

You do realize video licensing is a WHOLE other beast, even more people and regions involved. Baby steps man..
popnwave 11:40 PM - 16 December, 2018
Quote:

Serato has teamed up with Spotify, in an app named "Pyro".

Imagine a world where you listen and create playlists on the go with Pyro or Spotify and those new playlists are waiting for you in your gig laptop...

No, Spotify allows a lot of apps to use their playlists for personal use. Don't even try and play like you'd just be using SDJ and Spotify for bedroom DJing.

Why do you think Algoriddim has such a sweet relationship with them?
popnwave 11:42 PM - 16 December, 2018
Every time this stuff comes up, the majority of people here show they have no damn concept of how licensing works in this day and age. Which was why as much as the library stunk, Pulselocker and its streaming and offline use was a UNICORN in the world of DJing.
realstacktrace 7:02 PM - 28 December, 2018
I could care less about the SoundCloud/Tidal integration in 2.1, honestly. I use SC, but not heavily, as most of what I need is in Spotify. The rest is YouTube. The first DJ software that integrates with YouTube will be the winning one...
Comrade Tulayev 10:44 AM - 29 December, 2018
Lol, whut, don't use you tube ffs, are you mad
Unit27 8:28 PM - 29 December, 2018
Quote:
Every time this stuff comes up, the majority of people here show they have no damn concept of how licensing works in this day and age. Which was why as much as the library stunk, Pulselocker and its streaming and offline use was a UNICORN in the world of DJing.

If they had a more stable service and hadn't tanked so hard, Pulselocker could have been amazing. It's gonna take a long time, if ever, for these other streaming services to catch up to its licensing scheme.
Fluttzie 11:38 AM - 30 December, 2018
I really hope local rappers don’t find out about Serato having SoundCloud built in. Me saying “I can’t play SoundCloud links” was usually my go too excuse for not playing their track in the club. Now what will I say?!?!
Logisticalstyles 7:32 PM - 30 December, 2018
I've been testing the SoundCloud option. I mess around with making beats and I only used SoundCloud for uploading my beats, I never uploaded mixes of commercial music.
What I like about the SoundCloud integration is I am now able to easily have access to beats made from other producers and I can help them a little by giving them some streams. Just the other day I was practicing with some beats from another producer and I was able to see the impact it made to his stream count. Yes, I know that streaming pays very little but at least it's something.
I think if Serato can get Spotify on board things will be very different.
deejdave 3:12 AM - 31 December, 2018
Before we go off the deep end with opinions here I would suggest what someone said above. Get going with Soundiiz.com

I sub to Deezer, Tidal, Spotify & SC. I've been using Soundiiz for about two years now to SYNC all playlists between my streaming solutions and you would be VERY surprised as to the success rate between apps. As in Tidal had just about ALL of songs I have on Spotify. SC has about 85%. Deezer again has around 99% and I used this back when PL was around and for all the naysayers if you care Pulselocker had about 95% which is not bad at all!! Tidal has the sound quality over spotify as well so there is that. I will 100% say I still agree Spotify would have been great but if we can remember not that long ago Spotify made a huge deal when VDJ decided to add Spotify to their arsenal as it was too professional. Let's be honest if VDJ set of a red flag Serato would be an air horn right in Spotify's corporate office. Djay Pro gets away with this as it is not really marketed (or used) as a professional solution.
realstacktrace 3:47 PM - 3 January, 2023
@deejdave soundiiz is great! I cancelled Spotify and switched to Tidal, using soundiiz to migrate. It worked flawlessly. My only complaint is that Tidal is slow, but that has nothing to do with soundiiz or Serato. Tidal also doesn't update liked tracks on devices realtime, so I guess that's my only other complaint...

Serato also does not allow you to sort liked Tidal tracks by date added, which is a problem if you like to sort you new likes. Serato/Tidal says that's a work in progress but I'm not holding my breath.
DjSyndic8 4:14 PM - 3 January, 2023
Quote:
@deejdave soundiiz is great! I cancelled Spotify and switched to Tidal, using soundiiz to migrate. It worked flawlessly. My only complaint is that Tidal is slow, but that has nothing to do with soundiiz or Serato. Tidal also doesn't update liked tracks on devices realtime, so I guess that's my only other complaint...

Serato also does not allow you to sort liked Tidal tracks by date added, which is a problem if you like to sort you new likes. Serato/Tidal says that's a work in progress but I'm not holding my breath.

I prefer spotify it has more songs and better algorithem song choices, faster song load but my workaround is I download my playlist offline but still have it on Tidal as backup,

I just wish Serato can get back with spotify
realstacktrace 4:23 PM - 3 January, 2023
I used Spotify with Algoriddim DJay back in the day and it was awesome - literally the best streaming DJ experience I ever had. Then Spotify decided it was too good for DJay and that relationship ended...

Streaming is here, and it's the future. So many DJs trash it, but it's the way forward.
DjSyndic8 4:27 PM - 3 January, 2023
Quote:
I used Spotify with Algoriddim DJay back in the day and it was awesome - literally the best streaming DJ experience I ever had. Then Spotify decided it was too good for DJay and that relationship ended...

Streaming is here, and it's the future. So many DJs trash it, but it's the way forward.

one thing that hinders streaming is a solid wifi signal I hotspot my phone to my laptop but sometimes a certain location has poor signal, I guess I can always ask the venue for the wifi password but the one they give you is slow as f%%k,

cause a good signal will load the songs faster and a slow connection will pause and load real slow and thats an issue when you need to load a song in a hurry
realstacktrace 4:43 PM - 3 January, 2023
That's the big risk right now but as speeds and reliability improves over the years, this will become less of an issue, even in remote locales.

When I load streaming tracks, the vast majority of the time I also have a hard drive track ready to go in case the stream fails.
Logisticalstyles 4:43 PM - 3 January, 2023
This year I've finally hopped on board with using streaming at some of my gigs. It has been very good especially for gigs where I get a 100 song playlist from the client. It's nothing I would solely rely on but it has saved me from purchasing songs that I know I will never play again. I did one party over the summer where 90% of the music was streamed using my phone's hotspot.

I recently did a wedding reception that had a lot of obscure music on a Tidal playlist. I was connected to the venue's guest Wifi but none f the songs would load in Serato. I could open the Tidal app on my laptop and the songs would load but not using the venue's wifi. It wasn't until I switched to my phones hotpot that I was able to load songs from Tidal into Serato. It was very strange and made me a bit nervous about streaming but once I figured out the issue the rest of the event went smoothly. There are some limitations with using streaming music but I think they will eventually be addressed. I think as long as you keep the important songs saved locally on your device, streaming is a great way to fill in odd requests. I'm considering getting an iPad with cellular connection to make things more stable and reliable.
DjSyndic8 5:02 PM - 3 January, 2023
Quote:
I recently did a wedding reception that had a lot of obscure music on a Tidal playlist. I was connected to the venue's guest Wifi but none f the songs would load in Serato. I could open the Tidal app on my laptop and the songs would load but not using the venue's wifi.

This is what I mean you cant rely on the wifi connection the venue gives you its usually a slow and unreliable connection thats why I count on my wifi hotspot on my phone at least you know your getting full speed.

Quote:
I'm considering getting an iPad with cellular connection to make things more stable and reliable.

dont waste your money with this, its the same as you hotspotting your phones wifi.
and plus 4g tablets are way more expensive then a wifi one,

on my phones wifi hotspot I connect my laptop, tablet and another phone and I have 5g on my hotspot phone as well and I get good speeds when Im in a good location,

This issue we have been having with Tidal loading songs is our internet connection and theres nothing we can do unless we get some device with an antenna to boost our 5g/4g wifi phone connection. but for now my workaround is I download all my tidal playlist offline and then I use the Tidal streaming as a backup
realstacktrace 5:11 PM - 3 January, 2023
@logisticalstyles I have sometimes had to reload Serato to get Tidal to work in some locations. I leave my MacBook Pro on all the time, so I just shut the lid at home and open the lid at the gig. This has burned me in the past with connection issues, so now I shut down completely at home and boot the laptop at the gig and that has fixed my connection issues. I also have an iPad Pro w/o the cellular connection, and I just tether my iPhone to it or connect to wifi and it has never been an issue with Algoriddim DJay and Tidal. I did an entire corporate event on the iPad streaming Tidal a couple of months ago, and it went great. I had Serato ready to go on my MacBook Pro in case the iPad Tidal/DJay failed (which it didn't.)
realstacktrace 5:12 PM - 3 January, 2023
I agree @djsyndic8 it's not worth the extra $$ for the iPad with the builtin cellular.

I've heard those cell phone antenna boosters exist but I've never tried using one. I believe some of them are illegal in some locations as well, but would need to verify.
Logisticalstyles 6:02 PM - 3 January, 2023
Good to know. I can save some money then. For now I'm going to continue to comfortable with the app on my iPad Air and use my Macbook for backup purposes.
DJ Devrico 7:54 AM - 23 February, 2023
I would like Serato to add functionality to stream tidal videos to Serato Video. Not sure why this hasn’t been done yet.
StylesD 8:57 PM - 24 February, 2023
You could use Beatsource to store the streaming tracks offline and avoid using the Wi-Fi at a gig altogether.
DjSyndic8 1:01 AM - 25 February, 2023
Quote:
You could use Beatsource to store the streaming tracks offline and avoid using the Wi-Fi at a gig altogether.

Beat source is expensive
Logisticalstyles 9:33 PM - 28 February, 2023
Quote:
Quote:

Beat source is expensive

Yeah, $34.99 a month for tacks that I'll never own is a bit pricey.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:29 AM - 3 March, 2023
35€ a month, will try it and cancel it. If it was closer to 10€ monthly, maybe 12.99€ max I will leave the subscription running.
Dj Wunder 6:33 AM - 27 March, 2023
Yeah that $35 is steep, and the $10 plan seriously limits the library, you're better off with Tidal at that point. I'd pay $19.99 all day
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:07 PM - 27 March, 2023
If they bundled it with a DJCity subscription then the 35€ may be easier to swallow.

For now I combine Tidal with a standard pool subscription
DjSyndic8 2:21 PM - 27 March, 2023
Quote:
If they bundled it with a DJCity subscription then the 35€ may be easier to swallow.

niiice,
unless your David Guetta thats rich enough to get all these subscription I'm on a budget
Tidal is enough for me.
Dj Wunder 6:37 AM - 31 March, 2023
Quote:

This all day
deejdave 8:13 PM - 8 April, 2023
Quote:
Yeah that $35 is steep, and the $10 plan seriously limits the library,

For me the $10 plan has been decent. I notice the absence of dj friendly tracks (intro, outro, etc.) but not much missing in terms of content. What are you referring to specifically if you don't mind me asking.
Dj Wunder 2:11 AM - 11 April, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah that $35 is steep, and the $10 plan seriously limits the library,

For me the $10 plan has been decent. I notice the absence of dj friendly tracks (intro, outro, etc.) but not much missing in terms of content. What are you referring to specifically if you don't mind me asking.

All the DJ curated sets are missing half the entries, and a few other shortcomings that aren't top of mind right now