DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How do i choose between controllers?

goldviewer 10:41 PM - 6 December, 2018
I want to become a DJ but have no idea which controller to start with? Should i use vinyl or not? Should i get a pioneer or if not, how to i filter between all the options that Serato DJ supports?
pdidy 10:59 PM - 6 December, 2018
What's your budget $$?
pdidy 11:08 PM - 6 December, 2018
Are serious about being a dj or is this more an at home hobby?
Describe what type of dj you want to be in the future?
Do want to be a competition level scratch dj?
Do you want high quality or low-quality gear and does your choice match your budget?
Post a youtube video of a dj you would most like to be like in the future.
DJ Intrigue 11:40 PM - 6 December, 2018
I think you should start with Vinyl DVS. Get a pair of tables and a Rane 72 Mixer, that's the one I'm getting.
577er 4:27 AM - 7 December, 2018
Quote:
I think you should start with Vinyl DVS. Get a pair of tables and a Rane 72 Mixer, that's the one I'm getting.

Hell no.
goldviewer 5:08 PM - 7 December, 2018
Well, I am hoping to be a DJ for mainly parties, and i wouldn't go for very expensive equipment. The more i think about it, maybe its best for me not to start with Vinyl but with all the options i have no idea what to start with.
Gio Alex 5:20 PM - 7 December, 2018
The thing is if you start with turntables and a mixer then things are pretty flexible. Meaning, the turntables will always serve a purpose whether you're using it for vinyl or DVS. Best of both worlds, and you'll learn how to be precise.

But, realistically thinking about it, controller may be a better route if you're not even too sure about it. Times are different now, and you are correct, there's a million options and it can be overwhelming. I can only imagine starting out now. When I started there was only turntables and a mixer. Technically CDJs were at early stages, but hip hop djs weren't using those back then.

I say get a nice mid to pro level controller. Pioneer makes great ones. Denon as well I hear. The Pio DDJ-SR2 is a great mid level controller. You can even add turntables to it since it's DVS enabled.
goldviewer 6:05 PM - 7 December, 2018
Quote:
The thing is if you start with turntables and a mixer then things are pretty flexible. Meaning, the turntables will always serve a purpose whether you're using it for vinyl or DVS. Best of both worlds, and you'll learn how to be precise.

But, realistically thinking about it, controller may be a better route if you're not even too sure about it. Times are different now, and you are correct, there's a million options and it can be overwhelming. I can only imagine starting out now. When I started there was only turntables and a mixer. Technically CDJs were at early stages, but hip hop djs weren't using those back then.

I say get a nice mid to pro level controller. Pioneer makes great ones. Denon as well I hear. The Pio DDJ-SR2 is a great mid level controller. You can even add turntables to it since it's DVS enabled.

Hey Gio Alex, thanks. In your opinion do you think the Pioneer DDJ-SZ would work well for a beginner. Is it a good choice because I was also looking into a Pioneer.
goldviewer 6:11 PM - 7 December, 2018
Sorry, never mind about the DDJ-SZ.
577er 6:12 PM - 7 December, 2018
The SZ is huge and expensive, the SR2 or even SB is a better place to start. That way if you don’t keep it up you aren’t out a bunch of money.
Gio Alex 6:22 PM - 7 December, 2018
Quote:
In your opinion do you think the Pioneer DDJ-SZ would work well for a beginner. Is it a good choice because I was also looking into a Pioneer.

Nothing wrong with it, but that controller is MASSIVE, and like 577 mentioned it's expensive. I wouldn't really consider it a beginner controller at all to be honest.

But, if you don't mind shelling out the money i'd say do it. The SX series is a bit more portable than the SZ though if that matters to you.
goldviewer 6:25 PM - 7 December, 2018
Thank you so much for all your support guys. I will look into both of those and take them into consideration.
RR437T 1:40 AM - 8 December, 2018
Quote:

You give yourself up on your first post. Again.

Wait a couple of weeks, make a new account, and start posting in Windows & Pioneer forums. Don't use the word Rane for at least a month or two. Blend in like a cat stalking prey, not Donald Trump on a bad hair day.
RR437T 1:50 AM - 8 December, 2018
Quote:
Thank you so much for all your support guys. I will look into both of those and take them into consideration.

I think Gio Alex gives some great advice. It really makes sense. You may want to consider a Pioneer SX-2. I've had one for a couple of years now, and its never given me a single problem. Its sits right on the border between high end home and entry level professional. Also, given some of the issues people are having with the new SX-3, a used 2 may be a safer choice.
CMOS 4:50 PM - 8 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

You give yourself up on your first post. Again.

Wait a couple of weeks, make a new account, and start posting in Windows & Pioneer forums. Don't use the word Rane for at least a month or two. Blend in like a cat stalking prey, not Donald Trump on a bad hair day.

Lol i thought the same thing when i read this.
dj_soo 9:54 PM - 8 December, 2018
Oh hey did he get banned again? I was wondering why the forum was suddenly so readable again.
Gio Alex 11:42 PM - 8 December, 2018
Quote:
Oh hey did he get banned again? I was wondering why the forum was suddenly so readable again.

Yup, he sure did
dj_soo 6:35 AM - 9 December, 2018
huh - what got him banned this time?
RR437T 5:12 PM - 9 December, 2018
Quote:
huh - what got him banned this time?

His communication skills.
deezlee 7:36 PM - 9 December, 2018
Maybe just get a $0-$100 controller. They do the main stuff and you can familiarize yerself w djing and decide what extra features you want/need in a controller.
goldviewer 4:03 PM - 10 December, 2018
Quote:
Maybe just get a $0-$100 controller. They do the main stuff and you can familiarize yerself w djing and decide what extra features you want/need in a controller.

What controllers are there for $0-$100. I have been recently considering the Pioneer DDJ-SB3 or the DDJ-SR2. I am looking for more within $500 or less but i can also get it used off of Kijiji or Ebay or something like that.
DJ Intrigue 4:14 PM - 10 December, 2018
Ya LOL, listen to all these jack asses and get a "0-$100 controller" It will certainly be "future proof" and will "sound amazing".

Ya gotta be kidding me with that nonsensical banter. Save your sheckles and get a self respecting setup vinyl DVS or nothing.
Gio Alex 6:55 PM - 10 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

What controllers are there for $0-$100. I have been recently considering the Pioneer DDJ-SB3 or the DDJ-SR2. I am looking for more within $500 or less but i can also get it used off of Kijiji or Ebay or something like that.

You can probably find an SR2 on reverb for that budget. Or Craigslist. I personally not a huge fan of the SB3 unless you also own some higher tier models as well. The lack of XLR and booth is the deal breaker for me, BUT if you already own an SR2 or SX2 the SB3 is a great extra controller to own for super budget gigs.
deezlee 8:01 PM - 10 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I dunno. I'm a vinyl DJ who only uses Serato occasionally.
Every controller even the cheapest one does what I need: to play songs and mix them together.
deezlee 8:01 PM - 10 December, 2018
I'd say get something with three band eqs on the channels though.