Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ Pro Vs Rekordbox: The Battle for DJ software Supremacy!

Chino 12:51 AM - 4 December, 2018
Yesterday, I had a conversation with a close DJ friend of mine. It started off with me inviting him to an upcoming Christmas party that I'm DJing but of course he has to work an event on that same night (a problem when many of your friends are DJs). After that, he told me that he had bought a set of Rane Twelves but has since returned them and purchased a set of the Pioneer XDJ-1000MK2 instead. I was at a lost for words! This was coming from the same DJ that I've know for over 15+ years who introduced me to Serato. He stated that the XDJ-1000MKII offered more value & flexibility for the price versus the Rane Twelves. He also said that he may transition over to using Rekordbox exclusively??!! Silence. I'm just now wrapping my head around what he told me...

So, to put this in the correct context- a DJ from my close inner circle is contemplating moving on from my beloved Serato software for two major reasons:

1. Standalone platform. Stick a USB drive in filled with music and your good to go. No laptop.

2. In the short time Rekordbox has been made public & developed; it has made huge progress in terms of features. Rekordbox is also closing the gap in terms of reliability & stability.

Hmmmm, I know next to nothing about Rekordbox. The only Pioneer DJ product I even own is the Pioneer DJS-1000 sampler. (I'm a HUGE FAN of that product, btw!!) Are the above points true? Is Rekordbox a legit contender against Serato DJ Pro? Am I just late to the party? How many DJs are considering moving over (blasphemy, LOL)? Are there any DJs that have already made the switch and if so why? Please comment & share your experiences with Rekordbox on this thread.
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:07 AM - 4 December, 2018
I bought the DDJ400 to mess with Rekordbox DJ properly. I initially copped the XP1 or whatever that multiple pad controller is called. I have that mapped to Mixemergency now.

I have no intention to go the USB only path with Rekordbox I was more interested in the performance software.

It's a serious contender.

My issues

1. The lack of mixed playlist ie both videos and audio tracks as one playlist. I don't have time to maintain separate play list for audio and video.

2. When one clicks on a parent playlist with sub playlist it doesn't show the tracks in the subs. The way Serato and Engine Prime does.

3. I haven't tried the DVS bit yet, for a while it was near impossible to buy their timecode vinyl but I think they are readily available now. The XP1 came with a DVS licence

4. I trialled the video plug in as well to test the lyrics plug in, it was cool but downside is that it only worked for studio releases properly. So if you use a DJ Intro version the lyrics don't line up.

5. The Lyrics thing also had a 3000 track limit.

6. I still feel their gear is overpriced

Other than that I'd say if I was a newbie starting off I will be content with what's on offer.

1. The tagging system seems like a powerful tool.

2. Flexible Beat gridding is fire, it even tries to do it automatically during analyses.
Chino 1:25 AM - 4 December, 2018
@Marv- Have you done an actual 4-5 hr gig with Rekordbox yet? If so, how is the software in terms of stability? Any freezes or crashes? You already know my feelings on software stability. It should ALWAYS be priority #1 as far as I'm concerned!! Do you experience any annoying short pauses/software freezes when searching for music?
DJ JulioYEG 4:32 AM - 4 December, 2018
I can see what he means feature wise. The 12 is just a a tt without a tonearm and some smalll pads for cues and a pitch slider. Like you stated the xdj has the usb functionality but also the abillity to use hid with rekord box but you can use it on serato too if you put the tone on a usb not the greatest but the option is there. rekordbox has improved greatly and imo is a blatent copy of the serato ui so it doesnt feel that different ive only giggged on it a couple of times because this one promoter pushes his djs to use rekord box and it was okay. But when comparing the xdj to the 12 the xdj has plenty more features.
Matt Sherman 4:37 AM - 4 December, 2018
Are most clubs using Serato or recordbox now?
DJ JulioYEG 4:38 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Are most clubs using Serato or recordbox now?

personal preference. also depending on equipment available
dj_soo 4:45 AM - 4 December, 2018
It’s got the featureset and the library functions are cool (although no secondary sort is a bit of a dealbreaker for me), but imo, it doesn’t put it together as cleanly and as smoothly as serato in terms of usability.

Personally, I can’t stand using it, but I’m a bit of a serato power-user and Serato has a way of implementing little things that really help with the flow. The aforementioned secondary sort, things like sticker lock, some of the searching features, and flip all contribute to my preference.

When I was trying the ddj 1000, they hadn’t implemented a track undo feature yet which was also a huge dealbreaker (although it’s there now).

To me, serato has always felt like it was designed by djs whereas rekordbox feels like it’s designed by software engineers who have a list of features they need to tick off without any real concern over the best way to implement it.

That said, rekordbox is getting constant updates all the time so it could be there in a few years.

The fact that they have the install market pretty cornered these days and the plus of the unified library, the new rekordbox only controllers that are head and shoulders better than the serato offerings, and the fact that they are explicitly undercutting serato by offering their licenses for free - and the mindshare dominance, there are lots of people converting right now.
Matt Sherman 4:51 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
It’s got the featureset and the library functions are cool (although no secondary sort is a bit of a dealbreaker for me), but imo, it doesn’t put it together as cleanly and as smoothly as serato in terms of usability.

Personally, I can’t stand using it, but I’m a bit of a serato power-user and Serato has a way of implementing little things that really help with the flow. The aforementioned secondary sort, things like sticker lock, some of the searching features, and flip all contribute to my preference.

When I was trying the ddj 1000, they hadn’t implemented a track undo feature yet which was also a huge dealbreaker (although it’s there now).

I use Serato now and have never used Record box. Maybe I should implement both that way I'm not caught off guard.
To me, serato has always felt like it was designed by djs whereas rekordbox feels like it’s designed by software engineers who have a list of features they need to tick off without any real concern over the best way to implement it.

That said, rekordbox is getting constant updates all the time so it could be there in a few years.

The fact that they have the install market pretty cornered these days and the plus of the unified library, the new rekordbox only controllers that are head and shoulders better than the serato offerings, and the fact that they are explicitly undercutting serato by offering their licenses for free - and the mindshare dominance, there are lots of people converting right now.
Matt Sherman 4:52 AM - 4 December, 2018
I use Serato now and have never used Record box. Maybe I should implement both that way I'm not caught off guard.
dj_soo 5:09 AM - 4 December, 2018
personally, I'm too deep into Serato. My entire workflow these days is pretty much tied to the featureset. When I get on something that doesn't have the features I use - or even does them slightly differently, it just feels like a struggle.

I gave it a month straight - used it at every gig, every practice session, and did a deep dive into it for a review and when I finally got back onto Serato it made me appreciate the software more - warts and all.
Matt Sherman 5:15 AM - 4 December, 2018
When I use to DJ back in 2000 I obviously didn't have to worry about if the club I was going to play at had either Serato or Record box. But now days I guess if you use Serato and the club uses Record box then I guess you are just screwed.
dj_soo 5:32 AM - 4 December, 2018
900nxs and up let you plug straight into the mixer to use serato if you have the club kit and you can use the cdjs in hid for most of the newer players.
Chino 1:17 PM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:

I can definitely relate to this. I feel exactly the same way about the Akai MPC Live software. It feels like it was designed by engineers who don't make music. The Pioneer DJS-1000 sampler, on the other hand, is an extension of my creative soul! It has become an indespensible part of my DJ setup.
DJ Stygma 1:40 PM - 4 December, 2018
I use both Rekordbox and Serato (Thanks Rekordbuddy) here are my observations:

1.) I think Rekordbox is more stable than Serato right now. When I use Serato, when scrolling through crates, the wave form will pause, audio still plays but waveform pauses, in Rekordbox no issues. (Mid 2015 15" Macbook Pro with 2.5g I7)

2.) I think beat gridding, or rather fixing beat grids is easier in Serato, so I still do that all in Serato then use Rekordbuddy to import it to Rekordbox.

3.) I love the suggested tracks feature, it makes me remember some songs I have not played in a long time and add them to my set.

4.) I hate that you can not click on the main folder and see all the songs in the subfolders, that is annoying, but allegedly they are working on it.

5.) I haven't even messed with it yet, but the built in light shows seems like an awesome addition, nice to know it is there.

6.) I do miss Serato Flip as I use it to make clean versions of song for School gigs.
Chino 11:54 PM - 5 December, 2018
Come to think of it, Pioneer releasing the XDJ-1000MKII & DDJ-1000 controller for Rekordbox was a very smart move on their part. It sparked interest in Rekordbox because of the high end hardware. My same friend from above is now also considering selling his Pioneer SX3 for the DDJ-1000?! I'm living in the Twilight Zone!!

Not if but when Pioneer releases the R9(MKII version of the S9 for Rekordbox) I predict that there will be a mass migration to Rekordbox. If a die hard Serato DJ Pro user from my crew can decide to switch then anyone can. Serato needs to do something very innovative like release...

SDJ Pro embedded technology. Come on Serato, I'm rooting for you! Take a risk. Hash out a deal with one of your hardware partners & pave the way for a bright new future!!

That way, when I retire, my son will take over my business & still be using some form of Serato DJ software!! ; )
dj_soo 11:59 PM - 5 December, 2018
yea, some people have no problems switching, but there's plenty of people who decided to go back to serato. Serato just does the little things so much better than Rekordbox outside of some features with the library.

I have all three pieces of software and nothing feels as comfortable as Serato, but I have a very specific process and workflow that integrates well with serato.

For the types that are just "make crates and sort by bpm" the switch probably isn't as jarring.
DJ JulioYEG 12:03 AM - 6 December, 2018
only reason id ever go to rekordbox is ddj 1000
Chino 12:09 AM - 6 December, 2018
Quote:

If Pioneer doesn't open it up to SDJ Pro then maybe inMusic Brand (Denon DJ) will release a new comparable controller at NAMM 2019 for Serato?
DJ JulioYEG 12:11 AM - 6 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

If Pioneer doesn't open it up to SDJ Pro then maybe inMusic Brand (Denon DJ) will release a new comparable controller at NAMM 2019 for Serato?

nothing can compare to the nexus jogs tho imo other than motorized platters
Chino 12:20 AM - 6 December, 2018
Quote:

Im a BIG fan of motorized platters too.I will say WITHOUT A DOUBT, that the best static jog wheels I've been on are the ones on the Roland DJ-808.

If tomorrow, DJ hardware manufacturers stopped making moving platters and/or turntables- I would be ok as long as Roland kept the jog wheels of the DJ-808.
DJ JulioYEG 12:35 AM - 6 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Im a BIG fan of motorized platters too.I will say WITHOUT A DOUBT, that the best static jog wheels I've been on are the ones on the Roland DJ-808.

If tomorrow, DJ hardware manufacturers stopped making moving platters and/or turntables- I would be ok as long as Roland kept the jog wheels of the DJ-808.

Ive only used the dj 808 once at long&mcquade for maybe 10 minutes not long enough to try the jogs let alone the drum machine
Matt Sherman 6:26 AM - 6 December, 2018
The XDJ-1000 jog wheels just flat out feel cheap or sloppy compared to the CDJ 2000 nexus.
DJ JulioYEG 6:50 AM - 6 December, 2018
Quote:
The XDJ-1000 jog wheels just flat out feel cheap or sloppy compared to the CDJ 2000 nexus.

no you just havent adjusted the tension. its a hassle you gotta open it up
So Fresh 8:16 AM - 6 December, 2018
The dj808 platters are amazing but I had 4 replacements units over a year before they replaced it with an s9.

I was gutted but much happier with an s9 just need phase;)
So Fresh 8:33 AM - 6 December, 2018
Actually i’m much Happier with my dz1200mkii s9 over any controller setup

Good thing about the dz’s is they work with anything as well.
dj_soo 10:11 AM - 6 December, 2018
Yea, I am set with my 3900s and 72. I haven't used a controller since I got my 72.

Only thing that will make me switch up is if Rane makes a smaller and lighter version of the Twelve with a 9 or 10 inch platter.
Chino 1:28 PM - 6 December, 2018
Quote:
Yea, I am set with my 3900s and 72. I haven't used a controller since I got my 72.

Only thing that will make me switch up is if Rane makes a smaller and lighter version of the Twelve with a 9 or 10 inch platter.

+1. Are you by chance having issues with the PLAY button on the 3900s? Sometimes my PLAY button acts up where if I press it the platter won't start right away. I'm not sure if a tact switch is starting to go bad or if Im having some MIDI conflict going on. I have the startup knob adjusted all the way to the left (fast).
Chino 1:32 PM - 6 December, 2018
Quote:
Actually i’m much Happier with my dz1200mkii s9 over any controller setup

Good thing about the dz’s is they work with anything as well.

If you ever want to sell the SLDZ 1200MKII or know someone selling a set- hit me up! I wish there was someone selling a set here in the States but I'm having no luck finding any.
So Fresh 3:43 PM - 6 December, 2018
hey chino not thinking about it at the moment

check out the the

www.facebook.com

I've seen a couple on there for sale but a guy called Richie styles has a pair of mkII for $900 in the US
So Fresh 5:22 PM - 6 December, 2018
going back to software question

its a tuff one - they all do pretty much what I need for my style of A B mixing and scratching

the only thing that I think that is lacking for me and would tempt me to move from Serato is better library management

I'm not even sure what that is but

deleting duplicates
better analysis
things that I haven't thought of:)

I have been trying to delete all non dj able tracks from my library which is very bloated - I now have a new ish MacBook Pro just for Serato now and using the internal SSD instead of an external drive.

Serato is solid and the issues I have are down to having the prefect hardware if anything,
The more I use my DZ's the less I use my vestax's but I think phase may change that and that will (if it ever arrives) work with everything unlike the 12's

I've not used the 3700 , 3900 or the 5000m's which do work with anything and I'm guessing are amazing

the second reason I love the dz after the fuctionality is just how fucking cool they look:)

www.instagram.com
DJ JulioYEG 5:40 PM - 6 December, 2018
Quote:
going back to software question

its a tuff one - they all do pretty much what I need for my style of A B mixing and scratching

the only thing that I think that is lacking for me and would tempt me to move from Serato is better library management

I'm not even sure what that is but

deleting duplicates
better analysis
things that I haven't thought of:)

I have been trying to delete all non dj able tracks from my library which is very bloated - I now have a new ish MacBook Pro just for Serato now and using the internal SSD instead of an external drive.

Serato is solid and the issues I have are down to having the prefect hardware if anything,
The more I use my DZ's the less I use my vestax's but I think phase may change that and that will (if it ever arrives) work with everything unlike the 12's

I've not used the 3700 , 3900 or the 5000m's which do work with anything and I'm guessing are amazing

the second reason I love the dz after the fuctionality is just how fucking cool they look:)

www.instagram.com

Did you mod them yourself?
So Fresh 6:09 PM - 6 December, 2018
No I got Stuart to do them
Chino 6:47 PM - 6 December, 2018
Quote:
No I got Stuart to do them

I wish Stuart had a U.S. rep that did mods. I'm going to try joining that Facebook group to see if I can cop a modded set. Thanks for the link!
Logisticalstyles 6:48 PM - 6 December, 2018
I tried to switch to Rekordbox earlier this year. I used the Pioneer 250mkII with DVS. I even found the Rekordbox control vinyl. I ended up returning it after 3 weeks. I may be too used to Serato but for some reason I just did not like using Rekordbox library. I sent the 250mkII back and got the S3, which is basically the same mixer just made for Serato.

At this point if I had to go to another DJing platform it would be Virtual DJ. 10 years ago I would have never considered such a thing but I was given a copy about a year or two ago and every once in a while I open it to update it and see what's new with it. I gotta say it looks better and better each time. I've been talking to other DJs in my area and a lot of them are saying the same thing.
Chino 6:54 PM - 6 December, 2018
Quote:
At this point if I had to go to another DJing platform it would be Virtual DJ.

I've met a lot of other mobile DJs that swear by VDJ. Personally, I'm a Serato lifer but I like to keep my options open in case something drastic ever happens to Serato.
MixMasterGnl 7:23 PM - 6 December, 2018
For most DJs the software they started out with is the one they love most. The big 3 are on par feature, reliability and sound quality wise. If I was to advise a blank novice potential DJ these days what software he/she should pick I would say your controller dictates the answer to that question.
Thanks to the previously mentioned Rekordbuddy and the DJ Conversion Utility you can simply stay with the platform you're most comfortable with, and convert to whatever performance platform you require.

I'm the author of the DJ Conversion Utility. My base DJ software is Traktor and I convert from there to whatever platform I need (Rekordbox, Denon Engine Prime and Algoriddim's djay -on iOS-).
Some (real big name) DJs requested me to add Serato support. So all of the above can be realized from a Serato collection as well. see also these video's:
Serato to Rekordbox:
youtu.be

Serato to a USB that works in Denon Prime hardware (MCX8000/SC5000/SC5000M) maintaining Serato BPM values:
youtu.be
dj_soo 8:04 PM - 6 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

+1. Are you by chance having issues with the PLAY button on the 3900s? Sometimes my PLAY button acts up where if I press it the platter won't start right away. I'm not sure if a tact switch is starting to go bad or if Im having some MIDI conflict going on. I have the startup knob adjusted all the way to the left (fast).

Yea, one of my Play buttons is acting up - I attribute it to the fact that the buttons are shit. Honestly, the buttons on the Denons are just terrible. I have misfiring problems with the cue buttons as well.
Mr. Goodkat 9:22 PM - 6 December, 2018
Quote:
Yesterday, I had a conversation with a close DJ friend of mine. It started off with me inviting him to an upcoming Christmas party that I'm DJing but of course he has to work an event on that same night (a problem when many of your friends are DJs). After that, he told me that he had bought a set of Rane Twelves but has since returned them and purchased a set of the Pioneer XDJ-1000MK2 instead. I was at a lost for words! This was coming from the same DJ that I've know for over 15+ years who introduced me to Serato. He stated that the XDJ-1000MKII offered more value & flexibility for the price versus the Rane Twelves. He also said that he may transition over to using Rekordbox exclusively??!! Silence. I'm just now wrapping my head around what he told me...

So, to put this in the correct context- a DJ from my close inner circle is contemplating moving on from my beloved Serato software for two major reasons:

1. Standalone platform. Stick a USB drive in filled with music and your good to go. No laptop.

2. In the short time Rekordbox has been made public & developed; it has made huge progress in terms of features. Rekordbox is also closing the gap in terms of reliability & stability.

Hmmmm, I know next to nothing about Rekordbox. The only Pioneer DJ product I even own is the Pioneer DJS-1000 sampler. (I'm a HUGE FAN of that product, btw!!) Are the above points true? Is Rekordbox a legit contender against Serato DJ Pro? Am I just late to the party? How many DJs are considering moving over (blasphemy, LOL)? Are there any DJs that have already made the switch and if so why? Please comment & share your experiences with Rekordbox on this thread.

i finally got a nexus 900 and it is pretty cool. i used the trial and it seems rock solid. also think it sounds better to me.

Rekordbuddy2 was 30 on black friday and im thinking about switching once i get a second deck(got the first one for 480$ out the door)

I'm thinking about going with 2 xdj mk2 though and just selling the 900 nexus.

Other cool thing, in mojaxx video, he shows how you can basically use your computer as a flash drive with the FREE rekordbox software -- watch the vid at 5:40 on, it also talks about using a sp1

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Intrigue 10:34 PM - 6 December, 2018
In my experience with both I would say Serato for sure reigns Supreme. I use DVS, and Rekordbox seems to be stuck back in the dinosaur days with piss poor latency and audio fragmentation on my cuts.
Matt Sherman 3:47 AM - 7 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Why not just make it like the 2000 out of the box?
dj_soo 4:15 AM - 7 December, 2018
because then people would buy less 2000s.

Probably the same reason they refuse to make a 4 channel standalone controller - it would cut into their high end sales.

Pioneer have an annoying habit of taking small, relatively inexpensive features and locking them to their highest end gear in order to drive sales of their premium stuff.
Matt Sherman 4:37 AM - 7 December, 2018
Quote:

Probably the same reason they refuse to make a 4 channel standalone controller - it would cut into their high end sales.

Pioneer have an annoying habit of taking small, relatively inexpensive features and locking them to their highest end gear in order to drive sales of their premium stuff.

Isn't the DDJ-SZ2 considered a 4 channel controller?
DJ JulioYEG 4:54 AM - 7 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Isn't the DDJ-SZ2 considered a 4 channel controller?

not standlone s stands for serato r statnds for rekord box
DJ JulioYEG 4:56 AM - 7 December, 2018
pio rx and mcx8000 are the only standalone controllers to my kknowledge
DJ JulioYEG 4:58 AM - 7 December, 2018
oh and my old mixdeck quad lol things standalone serato and cds. and the xdj aero are standalone
dj_soo 6:23 AM - 7 December, 2018
Gemini released a cheap standalone a year ago I think.
Gio Alex 10:10 PM - 7 December, 2018
Quote:
I sent the 250mkII back and got the S3, which is basically the same mixer just made for Serato.

The S3 and the DDJ-SP1 is a real nice combo. Basically the poor man's S9 there. I actually much prefer the layout of an SP1 over an S9. the three parameters for each FX is a nice touch, and mirrors the layout of all pioneer controllers.
Gio Alex 10:14 PM - 7 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why not just make it like the 2000 out of the box?

Because it would compete with the 2000.
dj_soo 9:29 AM - 8 December, 2018
Still confused why pioneer didn’t just put the sp1 controls on the s9. Probably would have bought an s9 if it was basically a built in sp1 on the mixer.
Gio Alex 1:20 PM - 8 December, 2018
Quote:
Still confused why pioneer didn’t just put the sp1 controls on the s9. Probably would have bought an s9 if it was basically a built in sp1 on the mixer.

Same here man, I actually hate the S9 controls or layout. It goes against all the serato dj controllers they make. They should've kept it consistent. Also, layering FX is so easy and simple on a SP1/pio controller.
Logisticalstyles 5:12 PM - 9 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
I sent the 250mkII back and got the S3, which is basically the same mixer just made for Serato.

The S3 and the DDJ-SP1 is a real nice combo. Basically the poor man's S9 there. I actually much prefer the layout of an SP1 over an S9. the three parameters for each FX is a nice touch, and mirrors the layout of all pioneer controllers.

I feel the same way. I've been getting by with using my Denon HC1000S but that thing is so old and out dated. I'm considering getting the SP1 because it matches the controller layout.
DJ Intrigue 4:24 PM - 10 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I feel the same way. I've been getting by with using my Denon HC1000S but that thing is so old and out dated. I'm considering getting the SP1 because it matches the controller layout.

I also feel the same way. Took my old Shite9 to the local dump to see how much I would get in recycling scraps, walked away with a shiny new $.05 nickel. Just to see the look on the working classes face when I handed him what was basically a BNIB unit advising him that the Pioneer Mixer is now home where it truly belongs, priceless....
Mr. Goodkat 7:14 PM - 10 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I also feel the same way. Took my old Shite9 to the local dump to see how much I would get in recycling scraps, walked away with a shiny new $.05 nickel. Just to see the look on the working classes face when I handed him what was basically a BNIB unit advising him that the Pioneer Mixer is now home where it truly belongs, priceless....

jeezus aptidda will not stay away.
Gio Alex 7:16 PM - 10 December, 2018
He can't help it. He's hooked. I wonder who he really is.
Chino 7:30 PM - 10 December, 2018
Quote:
He can't help it. He's hooked. I wonder who he really is.

It doesn't matter who he is. I'm more concerned about his agenda. There are ways to promote products WITHOUT dissing competitor companies & their products.
Gio Alex 7:51 PM - 10 December, 2018
I don't think he works for them though, or anyone for that matter. He's a lone troll.
Mr. Goodkat 7:59 PM - 10 December, 2018
im not sure, he has some decent info, maybe a friend works for them, but its pretty clear there is an agenda. but in the day of the troll, who knows...
Mr. Goodkat 8:00 PM - 10 December, 2018
this is pretty awesome though

''Born and raised in Antartica, Sweezy is one of the best DJ's on the face of this earth.''
YZ 8:29 PM - 10 December, 2018
Quote:

Excellence.
Matt Sherman 3:49 AM - 11 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Excellence.

Can you even baby scratch?
DJ JulioYEG 4:28 AM - 11 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Excellence.

Can you even baby scratch?

man you are setting him up to give you a childish reply so you can satisfy your small dick itis and feel good about yourself by reporting him. If you really want him to stop his trolling you would ignore him just how mommy told you to ignore the bullies when you went to high school. same principle. Stop playing devils advocate and let him be in his natural habitat.
Itchin_4_A_Scratch 5:08 AM - 11 December, 2018
Quote:

I felt the same way until I came face to face with the 1000.
The screens in the jogs felt cluttered and cheesy.
Bornd Fono 8:03 AM - 11 December, 2018
This thread was a really interesting read... I am not surprised by the number of ppl really considering other software solutions after the (missing) development of Serato in some sectors.

Since Serato showes no interest in supporting hardware like the Xone 96 and help advanced users getting a decent midi mapping done (keeping the list of xml midi commands locked up, modifiers and macros need to be midi-hacked with the xml files directly), I am (after 8 years of being a fulltime DJ and power-using their software) really looking into Traktor 3 and Recordbox and will probably make a switch in the next few months. A few years ago I would have never thought I would one day move away from Serato... but the situation is like it is... and this makes me kinda sad tbh.
dj_soo 8:44 AM - 11 December, 2018
Every software has its deficiencies.

Go with what feels most comfortable for your style - for me, Rekordbox and Traktor are missing some key features, and the things they do better than serato don't really interest me.

Could Serato be better? Absolutely, but for my style, it's what works the best and I've learn to either live with, or work around the deficiencies. Spending some time on the other guys really cemented to me that Serato works best for me.
Gio Alex 2:49 PM - 11 December, 2018
I think I've tried Traktor on two different occasions and just hated it. The look and feel of it just feels like you're all in the software heavy. Too GUI is super busy. Couldn't get into it. Didn't feel like djing to me.
Djkom 3:33 PM - 11 December, 2018
Guyz you might be surprised by the next Traktor Pro 3 ;-)

No matter what is the "best" current software currently, the most important thing is the evolution ! Traktor and Rekordbox show very goods signs in the last 1 or 2 years but not Serato (more issues, long awaited features, poor hardware offerings except Rane ones, less releases, less innovations ...etc)
mixgoonie 3:43 PM - 11 December, 2018
Traktor 3 is indeed good but there are some things which is a severe issue.

First, very sensible to the DPC latency, Serato has no any stutter with low audio latency, on Traktor you have more chances to have audio stutters and you need the driver or ASIO4ALL (speaking about PC version)

Secondly, there is not stacked view in Traktor and i am afraid this will never come, for a good phasing especially for complex songs, this is making such a difference.
Itchin_4_A_Scratch 6:05 PM - 11 December, 2018
People say Traktor looks cluttered or busy but to me things look bigger and more legible on the Traktor screen.
Also you can pick what is actually displayed on the screen of Traktor most people just choose to have a lot on the screen.
Traktor 3 is still nothing more than a Traktor 2 tweak and the fact that they are portraying it as a major new version shows that they probably don't have a lot of new aspect coming.

Using Traktor with non NI controllers still feels kinda clunky to me and the selection of NI controllers is just too limited.

Using their DVS still feels good but for now I'm putting Traktor on Hiatus.
dj_soo 6:27 PM - 11 December, 2018
Traktor 3 is essentially a $50 facelift with the added features of open DVS, less CPU usage, and one effect new mode.

People complain about Serato being slow to add features have obviously never followed Traktor development.

In 3 years, they put out a single update that added some color coded track ability in their library and some bug fixes and that's it.

Now Traktor 3 came out, requires users to pay for it and still hasn't added a host of features that users have been clamouring for - including plenty that are part of other software like dynamic beatgrids or smart playlists.
Mr. Goodkat 6:35 PM - 11 December, 2018
serato had to catch up with

sync(which sucks compared to traktor or rekordbox)
efx
beat jump
time stretch
and always worked with third party sound cards(just not all dvs)

serato really kinda sucks since sdj. the only thing i like about serato dj over ssl is pnt and the quantize feature so its easier to add cue points and set beat grid.

i still have problems with sdj from time to time that i never have with ssl.

serato dj still wont work with a 62 or an s9 and after a month of going back with support and even doing a remote view session, support still couldnt fix my problem. they were nice enough and tried, but i cant wait to ditch serato for rekordbox. just gotta buy my secord cdj/xdj. otherwise i trust ssl with time code only. sad.
Mr. Goodkat 6:36 PM - 11 December, 2018
Quote:
serato dj still wont work with a 62 or an s9

for me
Itchin_4_A_Scratch 6:37 PM - 11 December, 2018
@dj_soo don't forget that to cover all that you mention, NI is boasting like TP3 is an Ultimate new version that takes it to the next level.

It seems that releasing 2 moderately improved versions of the same controllers along with a tweaked version of the existing software is enough to impress Traktor fans.

Somehow it had the opposite effect on me.
Itchin_4_A_Scratch 6:47 PM - 11 December, 2018
Quote:
i cant wait to ditch serato for rekordbox.

After months of evaluating Traktor, Rekordbox and Serato, Serato still had the most comfortable feel and I am Traktor power user.

Rekordbox is really nice and had great options for peripherals but when I use it I always feel like it trying too hard to be a Serato.
Mr. Goodkat 6:49 PM - 11 December, 2018
ive gone back and got rekordbuddy2 and have my tightened my playlists up. ill be fine.

its not like i wont use serato ever, but im going all in on rekordbox, im looking at the future not the past.
dj_soo 7:00 PM - 11 December, 2018
Rekordbox lacks a lot of the little things I come to rely on:

Secondary sorting
CMD-F search all (going back to the crate you were in when you x-out of the search)
Sticker Lock
needle drop to absolute or cue point
Sync able to match halved or doubled bpms between each other
Flip
Track-saved data like cues and loops
DVS flip to Internal when record runs out (they might have added this recently like the Undo feature)
Camelot key tag integration

Probably a bunch more that will come rushing back the next time I decide to try to use the program (which will probably be a good while).

On top of that there's tons of things I just don't like how they do thins - like Beat Jump only going to the start of the track when you initiate at the beginning of the track instead of taking back before the track like Serato or shittier iTunes integration or the fact that numerical sorting in tagging fields numbers things as 10, 11, 12, 13, 1, 2, 3 and a bunch of other really annoying things that made me glad to go back to Serato.
Itchin_4_A_Scratch 7:05 PM - 11 December, 2018
@Mr. Goodkat I know what you mean.
When I left SL to go to Traktor I went all in on the Traktor eco-system but after all these years SDJ has taken care of many of the missing features that made me go to Traktor.

Meanwhile Traktor hasn't addressed my major dislike which was the small jogs and file management.
I could always lug the CDJs around and use DVS but that's not really what I want to do and mapping controllers to work with Traktor gives such mixed results.

I guess at the end of the day we all still end up deciding what we can live without when picking our software since they all have shortfalls.
Mr. Goodkat 8:12 PM - 11 December, 2018
yeah, i dont even love pioneer stuff, but we're at the point where it works, its the standard and i dont see it changing anytime soon.

would i love a world of rane and serato dj where everything worked and rane was back in washington? yes,100%. but after going back to a 62 and tts about 3 years ago, its fun, i think its better, but pioneer is clearly whats coming and already here.

my buddy has and xdj 1000 mk2 and djm 750 mk2, pretty perfect setup for home and gigging
Gio Alex 8:24 PM - 11 December, 2018
Personally, Traktor will never be an option for me. Nor another software. Rather just use thumbdrives or hard drive with music than learning a newer interface and features. Imagine if the twelves were 9" platter, and were standalone via thumb drive. Would be a real game changer. OR if the 72 allowed that instead.
dj_soo 8:29 PM - 11 December, 2018
the SC5000M is already a thing
Gio Alex 8:30 PM - 11 December, 2018
Quote:
the SC5000M is already a thing

I thought about that, but that price tho for one deck- not worse than what Pio charges, but still a pocket breaker.
dj_soo 10:47 PM - 11 December, 2018
Anything with standalone is going to be expensive.

It is currently on sale tho.
Sanurita 9:10 AM - 13 November, 2019
I am not a professional DJ but a guitarist but i love Serato. Rekordbox's track organization is a bit confusing. I have written a head to head comparison here www.mrguitarist.com
Chino 4:21 PM - 27 September, 2020
Quote:
At this point if I had to go to another DJing platform it would be Virtual DJ. 10 years ago I would have never considered such a thing.

+1! The way Virtual DJ implemented their new AI stem feature is DOPE!!
Res-Q 7:28 PM - 13 December, 2020
Quote:
Hello everyone, I recently started performing on stage and doing cool mixes. Cool, indescribable atmosphere. I love parties and I love making beats, but we need to match words to beats if we're talking about a song. I tell all this to the fact that I no longer need to write lyrics for me, this is done by [link removed] and I completely surrender to music!

Damn robots
Stop bullshitting!
Nobody is performing on stage now
Dj KoolBreeze 3:36 AM - 16 December, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

Rekordbox is really nice and had great options for peripherals but when I use it I always feel like it trying too hard to be a Serato.

RBDJ is currently not in the race at this time anymore. they failed with the subscription model in my opinion. they were too early when the App didnt even caught on. pioneer should stick to hardware. or because denon is so up in there space they trying to diversify.
Blank_Disk 10:06 AM - 28 December, 2020
I started using rekordbox on version 5.0, been using it a while now and to be honest its a real contender now, used Serato for about 5 years and when features were asked for they fell on deaf ears, this is why I moved to rekordbox in the first place, the sampler is excellent you click a little scissor sign in the wave view and you can drag the sample straight into the sample banks & it cuts out the sample not the whole track with cue points, I was looking at the stand-alone thing myself and I'm not sure yet, I like the look of the demon prime 4 & the pioneer xz both look wicked but they are far from cheap.
Bigheaded1 10:45 AM - 28 December, 2020
I've only been using RB for like 2 weeks, it came with my DDJ-FLX6 so I thought why not I'll give it a shot.

don't like the library, making playlists similar to crates in Serato's not intuitive and time consuming. And no nested playlists? no thanks. Maybe it's I just don't understand how RB does things, but if that's the case. I shouldn't have to read a tutorial on how to do all this. Serato's library management just works and it's dead simple to figure out.
I do however love My Track id, I know Serato has the option for track color. But it's nowhere near as nice imho.
Unless there's a feature I'm not seeing RB can only make the cue points absolute. I like how in Serato it makes the cue list marker on the FLX6 jog wheel 12'oclock. Maybe there is a relative/absolute option in RB, I didn't see it though.
RB takes like 2-3x as long on my system to analyze tracks. This is with lyrics and the DMX light thingy disabled.
I don't like how RB displays the waveform, this is a personal preference but it's a lot bigger in Serato, I'm talking horizontal 2 deck view.
No Flip, this is probably the deal-breaker for me.
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:02 PM - 28 December, 2020
Quote:
And no nested playlists? no thanks. Maybe it's I just don't understand how RB does things, but if that's the case

There is nested playlist but Clicking on the parent playlist will not display all the contents on the sub playlist

Quote:
RB takes like 2-3x as long on my system to analyze tracks

I have noticed that Rekordbox is not utilising all the threads when analysing. On my i7 quad core, it analyses 4 tracks at a time versus serato which does 8 at a time.

Other thing is that they have 3 options for analysis - normal, performance and energy saver.

Quote:
do however love My Track id

Track Tagging is a sweet feature in Rekordbox! I wish they can pull some of that data from discogs or something like that. To populate generic information, then user can add custom ones as well.
dj_soo 9:32 PM - 28 December, 2020
the My Tag feature on rekordbox is the best thing about it. Hate most other things on rekordbox
WildcardX 3:39 PM - 30 December, 2020
Quote:
There is nested playlist but Clicking on the parent playlist will not display all the contents on the sub playlist

Recursive Playlists.....Askes them some time back when I was thinking about seriously thinking and to date the can't give a definite answer and this was a deal breaker for me due to my workflow.
dj_soo 5:04 PM - 30 December, 2020
yea, that's also one of the things i hate the most about rekordbox.
notoha 1:15 PM - 10 July, 2023
[spam removed]
Blank_Disk 7:55 AM - 11 July, 2023
used to like serato a lot, but endless questions about the library and a few other things never got answered, there are suggestions that go back 10 years i now as i asked & still its not changed, i lost my patients as other users probably, used to love the workflow, things like no context menu, having to remember 100000000 keyboard commands started to put me off, ended up moving to rekordbox(due to getting a ddj-1000), which also has some faults, but at least when you suggest something its possible it may appear eventually.
DjSyndic8 12:59 AM - 12 July, 2023
Quote:
used to like serato a lot, but endless questions about the library and a few other things never got answered, there are suggestions that go back 10 years i now as i asked & still its not changed, i lost my patients as other users probably, used to love the workflow, things like no context menu, having to remember 100000000 keyboard commands started to put me off, ended up moving to rekordbox(due to getting a ddj-1000), which also has some faults, but at least when you suggest something its possible it may appear eventually.

well you might be in luck since Serato has been bought by Pioneer maybe they might do all these things Serato neglected to do
Blank_Disk 8:22 AM - 12 July, 2023
i read that last night, may be an interesting thing, maybe some big improvements for both or a merge of both