DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Scratchlive & Yosemite, vs. IOS 12 & ITunes...

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:25 PM - 2 December, 2018
So um...anybody got an iPhone running IOS 12 trying to back it up to a Mac with Yosemite on it?

Scratchlive works FLAWLESSLY on the Mac, but if I happened to use that same Mac to backup my iPhone as well (running the new IOS 12), it says the iTunes version supported on that version of Yosemite isn't supported...and WON'T back up...

But I'm not trying to break Scratchlive to backup my phone....

Beware...
novakone 10:03 PM - 2 December, 2018
You after a solution? Had the same problem and managed to get around it
deejayfatcat 11:49 AM - 3 December, 2018
Had the same problem a few years back when I got a new iPad. Create a small partition w Yosemite just for SL?
Culprit 1:30 PM - 3 December, 2018
Quote:
Had the same problem a few years back when I got a new iPad. Create a small partition w Yosemite just for SL?

Not a bad idea
pdidy 9:34 PM - 3 December, 2018
Have the same issue so my iPhone is now backed up on icloud and I will figure out another app to replace iTunes to put music on my iPhone. Serato/Yosemite compatibility, stability and reliability is still a far greater priority so no fucks given to my iPhone, to be honest.

I haven't looked into reverting back to ios 11 yet or if it's even possible.
popnwave 12:14 AM - 4 December, 2018
Just use iCloud, I have the same problem now and am sure as hell not upgrading to El Cap or later to do a local backup.
Culprit 5:08 PM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Just use iCloud, I have the same problem now and am sure as hell not upgrading to El Cap or later to do a local backup.

Agreed, or just partition a small part of the hard drive
Gio Alex 9:03 PM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
I will figure out another app to replace iTunes to put music on my iPhone.

Is there such a thing?
popnwave 10:29 PM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Is there such a thing?

Not worth the effort to circumvent imho. Better off just using a streaming service that allows downloads (if you're worried about mobile data) like Spotify Premium. If you have some -that- rare that you can only live with a file transferred to your phone, then maybe even installing El Cap or later on a 32GB thumb drive (won't be fast!) is easiest.
Dj MacMillz 12:45 AM - 5 December, 2018
Use iCloud for phone backups, as for transferring media to the phone apps like iexplorer and anytrans can replace iTunes.
Gio Alex 3:02 PM - 5 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is there such a thing?

Not worth the effort to circumvent imho. Better off just using a streaming service that allows downloads (if you're worried about mobile data) like Spotify Premium. If you have some -that- rare that you can only live with a file transferred to your phone, then maybe even installing El Cap or later on a 32GB thumb drive (won't be fast!) is easiest.

That's fine for songs, but mixes and so on are a diff story if you don't want to stream them. I've had friends ask me for the direct downloads to some mixes before, and they're not interested in doing the whole mixcloud thing.
popnwave 4:10 PM - 6 December, 2018
Quote:
That's fine for songs, but mixes and so on are a diff story if you don't want to stream them. I've had friends ask me for the direct downloads to some mixes before, and they're not interested in doing the whole mixcloud thing.

I dump that stuff on Dropbox and you can download it to have it locally. I would think that Google and Microsoft let you save a copy local for their cloud stuff as well. iCloud and the Files app might do it as well, I just don't like the interface on my phone.
got2b Ru 5:59 PM - 13 December, 2018
OK so I've been away for a minute but did I just read DJ Johnny M is using a MAC???
Mr. Goodkat 10:03 PM - 13 December, 2018
sierra works fine with ssl, i use it 3-4x a week every week
Culprit 11:29 PM - 13 December, 2018
for fun ive been trying to hack my windows 10 machine to run SSL and ive been unsuccessful.

I can get SSL to work with the latest official releases of OSX but windows 10 has stopped me dead in my tracks.
Culprit 11:29 PM - 13 December, 2018
and when I mean run, i mean run with an SL1/TTM57SL. It works fine unconnected. As soon as it connects to SSL, the decks freeze up.
pdidy 1:47 AM - 14 December, 2018
Quote:
OK so I've been away for a minute but did I just read DJ Johnny M is using a MAC???

Yep, over a year now.
got2b Ru 2:31 AM - 14 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, over a year now.

but STILL on Scratch Live though... Go figure...
pdidy 3:39 AM - 14 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, over a year now.

Me too, so I understand.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:22 PM - 21 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, over a year now.

Me too, so I understand.

The struggle is real...but the stability is a no brainer.
Crackpipe 3:31 PM - 21 April, 2019
Just go Serato DJ or DJ Pro. I was like JohnnyM "keeping it real" with XP with SSL for as long as I could. DJ and DJ Pro has a more cluttered interface obviously, but the stability seems to be on par with SSL.

Do you still have your old XP laptop? Not sure if iTunes is available, but can you use that laptop with iTunes as backup?
Mr. Goodkat 3:23 AM - 22 April, 2019
Quote:
DJ and DJ Pro has a more cluttered interface obviously, but the stability seems to be on par with SSL.

depending on what you use. it can be pretty shite on occasion, rock solid others.
Crackpipe 3:05 AM - 23 April, 2019
I'm tech management so maintaining optimal performance for a system is like what i do for a living.
Gio Alex 2:09 PM - 23 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
DJ and DJ Pro has a more cluttered interface obviously, but the stability seems to be on par with SSL.

depending on what you use. it can be pretty shite on occasion, rock solid others.

This.

I've seen alotta windows 10 users make complaints.

Also, on the S9 it can be funky at times.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:23 PM - 2 June, 2019
Quote:
I'm tech management so maintaining optimal performance for a system is like what i do for a living.

This...
djvtyme85 2:08 AM - 3 June, 2019
Been using Mojave and SL and Serato DJ Pro for a few months now. On my machine its the smoothest OS I’ve ever used.