DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Starting from scratch, pun intended

Carleon 5:17 PM - 14 November, 2018
Greetings Serato Fam! I have to start out by saying music is my life! For as long as I can remember, I wanted to move the crowd. That priceless feeling of pointing your mic to the crowd and hear the people sing your song. As a rapper, I always wanted that, but never achieved that feeling. I ran with several crews and attended hundreds of networking events, showcases, music conferences, and open mic nights in an effort to pursue a career in the industry. Then real life came. Real kids, real wife, and a real job!! I know, dream unfulfilled. But I still love it! I still want to move the crowd. I am 40 now!! IMO it’s too late to for me to be running around on stages in this young man’s Hip Hop game.. Then I had a light bulb moment! I could still move the crowd, rock the mic, and do what I love to do! So I’m transitioning my stage name to a DJ name! I haven’t been so excited in years!

About 2 months ago, I purchased the DDJ-SB3 controller and DL serato lite. I already had an extensive library and I’ve just been adding new songs and every other song I can think of to it. Every day since, I get off of work and practice (we talkin bout practice!) for hours on my transitions, mixing, blending, and my mic checks. Trying to get better with my scratching skills (not trying to be a battle DJ though) and other tricks. I call myself the left handed bandit (not good at all with my right hand) because I only use the one hand on both tables. Can I keep it that way if it works for me?

If you’ve stayed this long, thanks for checking out my story! Now I need some assistance lol. I’m ready to rock but I have no laptop, no speakers, no hard drive, no business cards, no social media, no logo etc... I want to start out with the essentials but I need some suggestions fam! I know I can do this. I keep hearing “get a MacBook Pro” but damn they cost $$$ I definitely need something that’s gonna get me mobile, as I know some venues have a sound system to plug into.

Oh, here’s some good news. I answered an ad to spin at a local gentleman’s club and they want to do a mic check with me! So I need this laptop ASAP!!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated from you fam! I’m ready to get back to moving the crowd and I’m feeling real good right now!