DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

RCF HDP-45a

Richard Penrose 6:36 AM - 8 October, 2018
I’ve just seen that RCF are bringing out new models in their HD line. The most interesting one for me is the HDP-45a..

Watchm.youtube.com

Some of the more interesting features for me are :-

1/ New amp module derived from TT+ series
2/ RDNet
3/ New cabinet design (HD35 and HD15 also have this)
4/ 1.5” compression driver (745a uses 1.4”)

Other features look similar to the 745 and NX45

133 dB Max SPL
2200 WATT 2-way power
1.5” Titanium Compression Driver, 4.0” v.c.
Neodimium 15” Neodimium Woofer 3.5” v.c.
750 Hz crossover point for perfect vocal reproduction
90°x60°, wide dispersion constant directivity horn
FiRPHASE
Ultra-Light weight
705x442x386 mm - 27.76x17.40x15.20 in (HxWxD)
20 kg / 44.09 lbs

This looks like it could be a step up from the 745a?
dj_soo 7:08 AM - 8 October, 2018
So it's like the HD version of the ART 700 tops?

What's the difference between the two anyway other than the grill?
Richard Penrose 12:35 PM - 8 October, 2018
Pretty much all the things I mentioned above :-

1/ New 2200w amp module derived from the TT Series (745a has 1400w)
2/ RDNet features
3/ Slightly larger 1.5” compression driver (745a has 1.4”)
4) Different 750hz crossover point (745a has 650hz).
577er 2:37 PM - 8 October, 2018
The amp in the DHP has various DSP settings. Basically an improvement on the 754a and it’s not butt ugly which means a hell of a lot to mobile DJs. Definitely want to hear these and compare them to the NX45a.
Rebelguy 4:07 PM - 8 October, 2018
Glad to see they added PowerCON in and out on them as well.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 4:29 PM - 8 October, 2018
Quote:
Glad to see they added PowerCON in and out on them as well.

PowerCON is a must these days! Good call.
Arjun B 3:45 AM - 9 October, 2018
I just bought 745's.... *sigh*
dj scottie b 12:55 AM - 15 November, 2018
Quote:
I’ve just seen that RCF are bringing out new models in their HD line. The most interesting one for me is the HDP-45a..

Watchm.youtube.com

Some of the more interesting features for me are :-

1/ New amp module derived from TT+ series
2/ RDNet
3/ New cabinet design (HD35 and HD15 also have this)
4/ 1.5” compression driver (745a uses 1.4”)

Other features look similar to the 745 and NX45

133 dB Max SPL
2200 WATT 2-way power
1.5” Titanium Compression Driver, 4.0” v.c.
Neodimium 15” Neodimium Woofer 3.5” v.c.
750 Hz crossover point for perfect vocal reproduction
90°x60°, wide dispersion constant directivity horn
FiRPHASE
Ultra-Light weight
705x442x386 mm - 27.76x17.40x15.20 in (HxWxD)
20 kg / 44.09 lbs

This looks like it could be a step up from the 745a?

is that 2200 RMS or Peak?
577er 2:48 AM - 15 November, 2018
PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK That number is already cartoonish enough, you want it to be bigger?
dj scottie b 1:46 PM - 15 November, 2018
Quote:
PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK That number is already cartoonish enough, you want it to be bigger?

sure , their price never hits peak, its always continuous...lol
Johnnynights 6:05 AM - 31 January, 2019
I wonder if these speakers have a high pass filter built in?...or are they like the 745a that do not.
Arjun B 7:03 PM - 31 January, 2019
They have the DSP module on the back, so im pretty sure they do.
Johnnynights 7:28 PM - 31 January, 2019
Awesome if they do..a little later this year I might switch out my srx815ps and get these to go with my bassboss subs.
pdidy 4:50 AM - 2 February, 2019
Quote:
I wonder if these speakers have a high pass filter built in?...or are they like the 745a that do not.

They appear to have presets and high pass filters.
photos.app.goo.gl
photos.app.goo.gl
Johnnynights 7:20 AM - 2 February, 2019
Quote:
<div class="quote pl pr pt pb bg-l" readability="8">

They appear to have presets and high pass filters.
photos.app.goo.gl
photos.app.goo.gl

Nice I'm really looking into them...I need to hear these in person if there out yet.
Arjun B 7:01 PM - 2 February, 2019
They're probably going to sound similar to the 745a, nx45a etc but better since the amp module on the hdp-45a is new. Im pretty sure RCF is just using the same ND940 HF driver in all of these cabs, the only difference being the amp modules and the wood/plastic box
pdidy 11:56 PM - 17 February, 2019
Richard Penrose 7:05 PM - 15 April, 2019
Just seen this speaker added to the RCF website so hopefully release is coming soon!

www.rcf.it
dj scottie b 11:20 AM - 16 April, 2019
the model on the site is HDM...i guess its the one ?
specs/desc/pics is the same
just askin'
Richard Penrose 11:51 AM - 16 April, 2019
Yes that's the one. The name changed for original announcement.
577er 3:25 PM - 16 April, 2019
If you look closely at the plastic ridge around the outside edge, it slopes in at the top and bottom just enough that the grill can be damaged... annoying, but I can't wait to hear them and compare them to the new HD35A which are the same weight despite the smaller VCs.
dj scottie b 1:26 AM - 17 April, 2019
Quote:
Yes that's the one. The name changed for original announcement.

i emailed rcf today and was told it they are in production and will be at retailers 4-6 weeks.
thanks Richard for the heads up about the website!
SG SOUNDS 11:34 AM - 31 May, 2019
I wonder how will they compare to the NX45? just sold my jbl srx812's and bought 2 rcf' nx45a, due to be delivered today cant wait, then I see this new hdp45
Johnnynights 3:29 PM - 31 May, 2019
@RIDDIMNBLUES keep us posted...I'm thinking of selling my srx815ps and get some rcf hdp45
SG SOUNDS 4:21 PM - 31 May, 2019
Quote:
@RIDDIMNBLUES keep us posted...I'm thinking of selling my srx815ps and get some rcf hdp45

Will do, out here waiting on ups like a crack head lol...still trying to figure out the difference between the nx45 and the hd45 with no luck on the internet, the hd seems to have a larger amp though and is plastic compared to the nx which is wood.

wood vs plastic? wood should sound better imo
SG SOUNDS 1:01 PM - 3 June, 2019
So my NX45's came in this weekend and didn't have much time to air them out, but so far when tested them out I noticed right away a huge improvement in sound quality over my srx12's

These speakers sound amazing and the low end is incredible..everything just punch out more clearer than the srx series..the input sensitivity was low on the srx boxes, wow what a difference on the rcf, even at low volumes this box sounds so much more defined and detailed.

photos.app.goo.gl
SELECT 2:23 PM - 3 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Will do, out here waiting on ups like a crack head lol...still trying to figure out the difference between the nx45 and the hd45 with no luck on the internet, the hd seems to have a larger amp though and is plastic compared to the nx which is wood.

I took a look at the RCF website. The HD45a has advanced DSP where as the NX45 just has boost button. The HD45a also is compatible with their network control so you can essentially tune it from your desktop. The HD45 would be my pick as you can do a lot more with it, but the NX45 is still outstanding on its own.
SG SOUNDS 5:52 PM - 3 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I took a look at the RCF website. The HD45a has advanced DSP where as the NX45 just has boost button. The HD45a also is compatible with their network control so you can essentially tune it from your desktop. The HD45 would be my pick as you can do a lot more with it, but the NX45 is still outstanding on its own.

I already bought the NX45, imo they both will sound very similar, the wood enclosure should sound better, I also like the looks of the NX vs the HD appearance..
desmorider 1:13 AM - 4 June, 2019
The actual model number of the new speaker is HDM 45-A
dj scottie b 5:36 PM - 4 June, 2019
pro audio star says they got em
SELECT 7:18 PM - 4 June, 2019
benictrs 9:41 PM - 4 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I already bought the NX45, imo they both will sound very similar, the wood enclosure should sound better, I also like the looks of the NX vs the HD appearance..

I follow this discusion with great interest .
I own 2pcs of nx45's and 4pcs TT25a-mk2 and have compared them . They sound spl whise almost identical the TT25a-mk2 is a little bit louder but much more cleaner and defined in sound quality . The nx45 is definetly an improvement over the previously owned ART745's but a step under the TT's.
Why i mention the TT's is because the amp in the HDP-45's is identical with the amp in the TT25-mk2's as i notice , Even the presets are identical in the DSP .
It is wery posible that the HD45's will sound better (more defined, and punchier sound ) than the NX45's just because the amps even if they use plastic housing vs wood . Just my 2 cents ;)
Johnnynights 3:11 AM - 5 June, 2019
Dam if those HDM 45-A are a more of an upgrade to my srx815p I'm going to start saving.

Plus more lighter.

The only reason why I didnt go with rcf in the past was because they didnt have a built in high pass/crossover and I hate carrying external ones.

Looks like these new models have all that plus more awesome.
SG SOUNDS 12:42 AM - 6 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I own 2pcs of nx45's and 4pcs TT25a-mk2 and have compared them . They sound spl whise almost identical the TT25a-mk2 is a little bit louder but much more cleaner and defined in sound quality . The nx45 is definetly an improvement over the previously owned ART745's but a step under the TT's.
Why i mention the TT's is because the amp in the HDP-45's is identical with the amp in the TT25-mk2's as i notice , Even the presets are identical in the DSP .
It is wery posible that the HD45's will sound better (more defined, and punchier sound ) than the NX45's just because the amps even if they use plastic housing vs wood . Just my 2 cents ;)

Good observation, got me thinking now to return the nx45a and swap for the hd45's, not sure if its worth the hassle, will contact my dealer and see my options.
dj scottie b 1:21 PM - 9 June, 2019
so , i purchased the hdm 45s last week.
very pleased...
rcf is everything u guys say it is.
SELECT 12:36 PM - 10 June, 2019
Quote:
so , i purchased the hdm 45s last week.
very pleased...
rcf is everything u guys say it is.

Do you have any pics, video? How is the weight, bass, throw, dispersion, eq settings? Im really curious as Im going to sell my 735s soon.
dj scottie b 1:33 PM - 10 June, 2019
weight is light ( thank goodness)
bass is decent, but like anything else, in the right spaces .
throw is CRAZY.
dispersion didn't pay attention to.
eq settings i didn't have a chance to go thru, i had to go right into battle by myself.
i used w and without subs at different places, worked great .
anymore than that, I'm a neanderthal.
am i happy?
HELL YEA
(if that helps....LOL)
SELECT 2:11 PM - 10 June, 2019
Awesome, those might be my next RCF for sure!
pdidy 4:11 AM - 11 June, 2019
Quote:

I really should not have read this, now my curiosity is sparked......an I know dam well I dont NEED to upgrade my 745s.......lol
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:17 PM - 11 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I really should not have read this, now my curiosity is sparked......an I know dam well I dont NEED to upgrade my 745s.......lol

Yes you do. Do it! Do it!
Rebelguy 9:00 PM - 11 June, 2019
I doubt there will be a huge increase in quality. If the Hd45s used the same components as the TT line then you would probably hear a difference but DSP only goes so far. Realistically your audience will probably not notice a difference.
SELECT 9:37 PM - 11 June, 2019
Quote:
I doubt there will be a huge increase in quality. If the Hd45s used the same components as the TT line then you would probably hear a difference but DSP only goes so far. Realistically your audience will probably not notice a difference.

Pros of the HDM 45 are the 8 DSP presets and being able to control it all from their software. Not that any mobile DJ is using software, but the 8 presets can be useful.

2 CLOSE (C). When the listening distance is less than 4 meter
4 LINEAR (L). When the listening distance is from 4 to 11 meter
2 FAR (F). When the listening distance is more than 11 meter

Side note all the touring boxes are made of wood which will always translate into smoother bass and weight.
Rebelguy 10:54 PM - 11 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Pros of the HDM 45 are the 8 DSP presets and being able to control it all from their software. Not that any mobile DJ is using software, but the 8 presets can be useful.

Side note all the touring boxes are made of wood which will always translate into smoother bass and weight.

Am I still stand by my previous comment...Realistically your audience will probably not notice a difference.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:01 PM - 11 June, 2019
I thought the whole wood vs plastic was dispelled long ago.
Rebelguy 12:52 AM - 12 June, 2019
The RCF NX-45A is the wood cabinet version of the ART 745A. The components are supposedly the same. Every review I have read about the NX-45A state it sounds better than the 745A.

Doesn’t this support the whole wood cabinet sounds better than plastic cabinet discussion?
pdidy 2:26 AM - 12 June, 2019
Quote:

yes I has been dispelled many years ago by respected sound engineers with more degrees than any of us to prove it........In 2019 wood is merely a security blanket or placebo effect.
Rebelguy 3:41 AM - 12 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

yes I has been dispelled many years ago by respected sound engineers with more degrees than any of us to prove it........In 2019 wood is merely a security blanket or placebo effect.

I am still curious how this relates to my comment above yours. If end users are noticing a difference then how do you explain things?
benictrs 8:52 PM - 18 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Please don't forget about the hipass otions for each setting .

You have :

L1. LINEAR. Is the totally linear preset. The speaker curve response is perfectly linear. It is ideal when listening outdoor or in low reverberation rooms, at medium distance and at a medium or high sound pressure level.
L2. LINEAR HIGH PASS. This preset is the same as L1 with a 24 dB/oct. high pass lter at 100 Hz. To be used when the speaker is a part of a bigger system, when is a satellite of a subwoofer system or when the application is speech reproduction.
L3. LINEAR LOW LEVEL - PLAYBACK. This preset is linear with a gentle +3 dB boost at low frequency. To be used when playing at low level or for playback music.
L4. LINEAR INDOOR. This preset is linear with a gentle -3 dB shelf at low frequency. It is ideal for a better sound balance in reverberant rooms and for indoor speech reproduction.
C1. CLOSE. Close listening preset. To be used when the average listener is closer than 3 meter. The preset shows a gentle -3 dB shelf in high frequencies. The sound balance is natural and never aggressive.
C2. CLOSE HIGH PASS. This preset is the same as C1 with a 24 dB/oct. high pass lter at 100 Hz.
F1. FAR. Far listening preset. To be used when the average listener distance is more than 10 meter. The preset shows a +3 dB shelf in high frequencies to compensate the air absorption. The clarity and intelligibility in distance are improved.
F2. FAR HIGH PASS. This is the same as F1 with a 24 dB/oct. high pass lter at 100 Hz.

About the amps , RCF uses for their TT lines eather Pascal Pro or Labgruppen amps vs the ART , Nx , .... cheap lines witch used until now Digipro Clas D 700W Oem amps . so if sudenly one of the HD series receives a better amp this is a pretty big thing in my opinion prehaps in 3-4 years we will see a better amp in the nxl-44a mk2 ? or the hd32 mk5 ?
SELECT 3:38 PM - 9 July, 2019
RCF HDM-45A overview video, settings info-
youtu.be
desmorider 2:08 AM - 11 July, 2019
Quote:
youtu.be

I have the HDM 45-A's also if anyone has any questions. Did a brief un boxing. Nothing fancy as far as video.

Watchwww.youtube.com
benictrs 12:09 AM - 12 July, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
youtu.be

I have the HDM 45-A's also if anyone has any questions. Did a brief un boxing. Nothing fancy as far as video.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Nice aquasition ,
Good luck with the new set of speakers , please let me know if you get to compare them to the tt25 mk2’s
I have 4 piece of those and i’m in search of a new pair of speakers .
Perhaps the hd45’s are a decent and cheaper equivalent ???? Who knows !!! 😊
benictrs 12:11 AM - 12 July, 2019
P. S . I already own a pair of NX45’s too . They are not close to the aTT25’s quality and sound output 😔
SELECT 1:20 PM - 12 July, 2019
RCF TT25A-II vs RCF NX45A

Watchwww.youtube.com
Johnnynights 3:57 AM - 7 September, 2019
So have any of you guys bought some of these hdm 45a speakers?
dj scottie b 4:13 AM - 7 September, 2019
I did
desmorider 6:00 AM - 7 September, 2019
I did
benictrs 9:37 PM - 11 September, 2019
I own a pair !!!
They are nice speakers , they play together with the sub8004's but they still can't compare to the tt25mk2's but definetly a step over the art745a's .
I would be wery curious about a side by side comparation with the hd45's ;)
desmorider 11:05 PM - 11 September, 2019
Quote:
I own a pair !!!
They are nice speakers , they play together with the sub8004's but they still can't compare to the tt25mk2's but definetly a step over the art745a's .
I would be wery curious about a side by side comparation with the hd45's ;)

I'm confused. What do you own a pair of? HDM 45A's or NX45A's?

I think he was asking if anyone have the HDM 45A's.

Quote:
So have any of you guys bought some of these hdm 45a speakers?

What would you like to see compared side by side with the HDM 45A?
desmorider 11:08 PM - 11 September, 2019
Quote:

they play together with the sub8004's

I do have a couple of questions for you about the 8004. Have you compared it to the 9004? If so, what are your thoughts? Also, have you compared the 8004 to the captivator 118Pro? If so, thoughts?

Thanks for your time
Johnnynights 6:19 AM - 12 September, 2019
I want to compare the hdm 45a vs jbl srx815p

I might sell my srx815p which are very good,but they are on the heavy side...

I know is not much of an upgrade since both are good but I'm sure the hdm 45a should be much better.
dj_soo 8:26 AM - 12 September, 2019
most say the art 745a is better than the srx so the hdp should be an even bigger improvement.
DjDeepKanga 9:03 PM - 13 January, 2020
Hello guys!

Im about to purchase a pair of HDM 45a s to og With my EV ETX 18sp SUB.
Ive been doing a lot of Research the last month on what to buy and Im now leaning RCF because of the good reviews on sound quality. This will be my 3rd set of tops in the span of the last 1,5 years (SRX835p, FBT Mitus 112a) so I hope i get it right this time.

Im looking for a sound system that is flexible (manual DSP) and has a smooth, defined and Clear sound with a big sound stage. I tak pride in the sound quality I bring. The SRX was too smooth sounding and IMO not good for playback Music (even with manual DSP tuning), more of a live speaker if you will. The Mitus has a very poor soundstage imo, which reminds me of a speaker to half its price.

Any thoughts about the sound that comes out of the HDM 45a? Im very interested in the quality of sound from +100 hz since it will be paired with a sub most of the time.

Thanks
dj_soo 9:46 AM - 14 January, 2020
I don't actually know if this is the case with this particular speaker, but RCF traditionally does not include a high pass filter on their tops and relies on the sub having a high pass output - which the ETX18SP does not have.

Unless you want to be running an external crossover everytime you use the tops and sub, I would maybe consider a top with a built in highpass like maybe the Yamaha DZR15
benictrs 10:08 AM - 14 January, 2020
HDM 45a has the option to highpass , it has a built in dsp with the option to highpass & delay the speaker if needed.
benictrs 10:09 AM - 14 January, 2020
And if that is not suficent than you can always use the RDnert witch is also awailable on the HDM45's
DjDeepKanga 7:48 PM - 14 January, 2020
Thanks for the reply..
HDM45 has a HPF on 100hz. Im going to use the RDnet to customize my own EQ settings, so the lack of HP filter on the ETX18SP is not an issue. I will get to use the EVs 80,100,120 and 150 after customizing the HDMs With RDnet.. NP ;-)

Any comments on the soundquality? How dose it compare to other active speakers?