DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

QSC hpr151i sub vs jbl prx718xlf ?

deezlee 9:22 PM - 19 September, 2018
I have a QSC hpr 15" sub and hpr tops.
I have a gig coming up that I could use more bass for.
I can rent a jbl prx718 XLF from my buddy.

I was thinking of using the jbl instead of the QSC sub.
Do you think it'll be louder or sound louder?
They have the same spl ratings pretty much. (133-134).

And I prefer not to mix subs but if I set them next to each other do you think the benefit from the volume gain (of having two subs, I know they won't "couple") will outweigh the downside of filtering/cancellation?

Or what about not next to each other?
How far apart would they have to be to not conflict much in your experience (vs theory).

I've mixed subs in the past with ok results but the more I learn the more I'm ruled (limited) by theory!
Theory says don't use both but experience says "well... we do want more bass, so...."
deejaybman 3:30 AM - 20 September, 2018
I'd go with the JBL sub and try to place it in a corner.
deezlee 5:22 PM - 20 September, 2018
Thanks!
577er 12:41 PM - 21 September, 2018
I would use both as far apart as Is practical. The room itself can cause more issues than mixing subs in many instances.
deezlee 3:47 PM - 21 September, 2018
It's outside. The distance apart is just limited to how large I want to make the "dancefloor"
deezlee 3:50 PM - 21 September, 2018
I've seen plenty of models that show how spacing subs vs putting them together affect coverage and cancellation.
Are there any that show the effect of using different subs at the same time?
577er 4:17 PM - 21 September, 2018
I go to a weekly outdoor event for the last few summers that has 800+ people. They use three different kinds of subs both 18”s and 21”s in two stacks of six subs about 15 feet apart. It sounds amazing. For your purposes I’d put the subs together or at each side of the dance floor, whichever sounds best.
DJ Reflex 4:08 AM - 22 September, 2018
Just bought my 2nd and 3rd BassBoss SSP118 subs. Can't wait to run all three and rattle the rafters!
deezlee 4:11 AM - 22 September, 2018
Went ahead and rented 2 kw281s. All this cancellation stuff is making me paranoid.
Thanks y'all
577er 3:03 PM - 22 September, 2018
You are paranoid 😁 but it’s better than being sloppy. Since you have matching subs definitely place them side by side. And bring your 15 and try playing with and without it to see if you notice any changes. I’m guessing outdoors you won’t notice any cancellations.
deezlee 4:46 PM - 22 September, 2018
Yeah I've done it Rasta style for years (mix em up, use yer ears) but lately I've had to set up without much sound check as I'm in fancy wedding spots.
577er 5:28 PM - 22 September, 2018
Nice! Fancy wedding spots are where it’s at.
pdidy 10:18 PM - 25 September, 2018
Quote:
Or what about not next to each other?
How far apart would they have to be to not conflict much in your experience (vs theory).

I've mixed subs in the past with ok results but the more I learn the more I'm ruled (limited) by theory!
Theory says don't use both but experience says "well... we do want more bass, so...."

The answer to your question is NOT a "THEORY" as it is a science know as physics that uses mathematics. So the simple answer to your question is 56ft.....

While it’s customary with PA to have speakers to either side of the stage, that’s usually not the best way to place subs. Subs work best when they’re placed either close together for mutual coupling, or spread very wide to cover large areas. The basic rule is to have them either less than a quarter-wavelength apart or more than two wavelengths apart for their pass band, which for 40 to 100 Hz means less than 2.8 feet or more than 56 feet.

Never place subs with their radiating planes between 2.5 feet and 8 feet of a boundary.If you do at some frequency within the 35 to 100 Hz passband, depending on the distance, the reflected wave will be 180 degrees out of phase when it meets the original wave again, cancelling it out.

So there are 2 simple rules that you need to remember......
1. Center cluster your subs or space them 56 ft apart to avoid cancellation. If you are using mismatched subs, the smart idea is to go with 56ft apart to avoid cancellation.

2. NEVER place subs within 2.5 feet and 8ft of a wall (aka boundary).
pdidy 10:35 PM - 25 September, 2018
The science of speaker placement are known facts but these facts dont always agree with the real world aka were you are placed to setup. Quite often as a wedding dj you don't have the option of setting speaker 8ft away from a wall or 56ft apart because you may only be given a small space in the corner lol.
DJ Reflex 1:01 AM - 26 September, 2018
Quote:
The science of speaker placement are known facts but these facts dont always agree with the real world aka were you are placed to setup. Quite often as a wedding dj you don't have the option of setting speaker 8ft away from a wall or 56ft apart because you may only be given a small space in the corner lol.

True! You take what you can get and work out the physics the hard way... trial and error. Lots of errors!
pdidy - You got any experience with cardioid arrays? I'm getting my other two Bassboss subs next week and want to try out the cardiod settings. I want to eliminate most of the bass on stage. My turntables are bouncing all over the place.
pdidy 5:30 AM - 26 September, 2018
Quote:
pdidy - You got any experience with cardioid arrays?

Other than my reading and research I have no real world cardioid experience......