DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Dz1200mkii

So Fresh 10:11 PM - 5 September, 2018
instagram.com

Just has my first gigs with these and they were absolutely amazing and fun!! I can not recommend them enough, so much more fun the any controller i’ve Ever had and i’ve Had a few. Will not be replacing my vestax’s but for smaller gigs I will be using them.

Are the perfect, no but I felt like I was on 1200’s it hard to explain. I was smiling the whole set:) The upgrade is a must if you cut.

Contact Stuart who was super nice and helpful if you are after a pair!!
www.facebook.com
HighTopFade 5:43 AM - 6 September, 2018
That's awesome. If I run into some funds, will probably do the same mod. These decks are like the perfect size.
So Fresh 8:23 AM - 7 September, 2018
they are so perfect!

its the controller i always wanted:)

two channels battle mixer
10" platters with technics 1210 feel
16 cue points
paddle effects
basically a S9:)

I'm so so sure a 12 72 setup will be even better and tighter but very wasted on me

the dz1200MkII have that technics thing, wrong but so so right if that makes sense.

Quote:
That's awesome. If I run into some funds, will probably do the same mod. These decks are like the perfect size.
DJ Guayo 12:54 PM - 7 September, 2018
How much is the mod? I looked over the website but did not see pricing. Also do you have any pics of the how it connects to the mixer? I'm assuming there's is USB port somewhere.
DaltonSR20 5:21 PM - 7 September, 2018
I think the cheapest conversion was something like $60-70 (DIY DVS Conversion) and that removes the center control screen on the DZ and replaces it with a center spindle. My only gripe about the cost is that the parts are really basic. It really is just a generic ball bearing with a spindle nub pressed into it sitting on a metal bracket.

@DJ Guayo = The DZ1200 is just a CDJ with a spinning platter, doing the conversion doesn't change this. This conversion just removes the screen so you can place a full 10" vinyl on the platter so you have a full vinyl surface to touch. You would still connect this to your Mixer or serato box using RCA cables as you would a standard CDJ. Since you no longer have the screen to select a track, you have to use a CD-R or SD Card that has a long time code (like 8 hours long so you can get through a full gig without ever running out of time code).

He does offer a midi conversion but that only applies to the cue buttons so you can use the DZ's onboard cue buttons to map to a function.
So Fresh 6:12 PM - 7 September, 2018
What he said:)
DJ Guayo 6:17 PM - 7 September, 2018
Quote:
I think the cheapest conversion was something like $60-70 (DIY DVS Conversion) and that removes the center control screen on the DZ and replaces it with a center spindle. My only gripe about the cost is that the parts are really basic. It really is just a generic ball bearing with a spindle nub pressed into it sitting on a metal bracket.

@DJ Guayo = The DZ1200 is just a CDJ with a spinning platter, doing the conversion doesn't change this. This conversion just removes the screen so you can place a full 10" vinyl on the platter so you have a full vinyl surface to touch. You would still connect this to your Mixer or serato box using RCA cables as you would a standard CDJ. Since you no longer have the screen to select a track, you have to use a CD-R or SD Card that has a long time code (like 8 hours long so you can get through a full gig without ever running out of time code).

He does offer a midi conversion but that only applies to the cue buttons so you can use the DZ's onboard cue buttons to map to a function.

That clears it up for me. The control signal being built in the SD card makes sense. I wasn't aware you could do Midi over the RCA cables. Now to find me a pair to convert.
So Fresh 7:44 PM - 7 September, 2018
i would double check with stuart about how the midi works
i thought he added a port but i'm not 100%

Quote:
Quote:

That clears it up for me. The control signal being built in the SD card makes sense. I wasn't aware you could do Midi over the RCA cables. Now to find me a pair to convert.
So Fresh 7:58 PM - 7 September, 2018
i feel like a broken record :) going on about how good these feel but they feel so nice i'm finding it hard to set up my vestax's

the other thing i've noticed is how good the signal is from on the scopes being a SD / CD signal.
HighTopFade 8:53 PM - 7 September, 2018
Quote:
the other thing i've noticed is how good the signal is from on the scopes being a SD / CD signal.

Oh yeah. The freedom of not dealing with dirty needles or control vinyl. I use the SD card full time fearing something in the CD mechanism will break over time.
DaltonSR20 8:58 PM - 7 September, 2018
Quote:
i would double check with stuart about how the midi works
i thought he added a port but i'm not 100%

A USB port does have to be added because that's the only way you can hook up the DZ's to a computer and communicate with each other. The MIDI feature is only for the Cue buttons on the unit. This was taken from his DZ1200MKII facebook page:

"Long time no post! Ok now offering a midi conversion service. If you want to have full midi control exactly the same as using a Novation Dicer. The sample/cue pads on your dz will be the midi triggers after the mod. You can just send me the pcb and I'll do the rest. Shipping for just this will be super cheap as all you need to send me is the PCB(as pictured!) £150 per PCB/Deck. PM me for further information or orders."

I also got this message from Stuart awhile back too:

Price list for latest conversion of SL-DZ1200. Mix and match to whats best suited to you.

- Standard conversion is £150 plus whatever extras you require from the below list…
- Midi conversion £50 for conversion £50 for parts.
- Midi L.E.D conversion(can only be done if above is done!) £75 plus £10 parts.
- Platter L.E.D conversion £50 for conversion, £35 for parts.
- Full L.E.D conversion of remaining lights like strobe/pitch/start/stop/cd light/pitch lock and other.. £20 plus £10 parts.
- Slipmat conversion £15 for conversion plus £15 for butter nut slipmat or £7.50 for my personal slipmats which are just as good!
- Internal Sound Card, £75 for conversion plus £99 for parts.
- A usb powered hub and power supply must be added if you require sound card £10 for conversion plus £10 for parts.
- Any sd card with any timecode or track can be added just for the price of the sd card or supply your own.

You can mix and match any of the above to suit your need. The sound card will always have to have the powered hub and power supply to function properly.
This conversion will take at least four days to complete please check with myself as there has been a long waiting list in the past.
Prices may vary but are right at this time, please confirm price with me. Any issues with any conversion I will sort out free of charge if it’s my fault you will have to return the unit or part to myself and at your expense, but I will not let anyone down.
Prices are in English Pounds so you will need to convert to your local currency. In the process of doing the diy kits which will be a lot cheaper but I don't know when I'll get around to completing the instructions please bare with me! Add around £200 for me to supply original units to convert!

Cheers Stuart.
Dupie 12:01 AM - 8 September, 2018
Where in england can i get hold of y bud. Would have to send mine from south africa. Parent live in bournworth.
So Fresh 4:50 AM - 8 September, 2018
www.facebook.com

Stuart works in reading currently but contact him through the site fb page:) good luck
dj_soo 8:40 AM - 9 September, 2018
I use SC3900s which feel great, but there are some issues with both sticker drift, and cheap buttons that wear out faster than I'd like. How's the mod with sticker drift? I would think if it uses the official control tone (unlike the sc3900s in hybrid mode which uses a bootleg tone much like Phase will), the techs should have much better sticker drift since serato apparently auto-corrects drift via the control tone.

I'd really love to see Rane put out a 9 or 10 inch controller just for easier transport since the Twelves aren't much smaller or lighter than turntables...
deejayfatcat 1:15 PM - 9 September, 2018
This, I would go active, but they’ve got to be more transportable than just carrying my 1200s. I know we’re a hard to please bunch, It’s hard to believe someone hasn’t figured out the sweet spot yet.

Quote:
I use SC3900s which feel great, but there are some issues with both sticker drift, and cheap buttons that wear out faster than I'd like. How's the mod with sticker drift? I would think if it uses the official control tone (unlike the sc3900s in hybrid mode which uses a bootleg tone much like Phase will), the techs should have much better sticker drift since serato apparently auto-corrects drift via the control tone.

I'd really love to see Rane put out a 9 or 10 inch controller just for easier transport since the Twelves aren't much smaller or lighter than turntables...
Mutis Mayfield 2:31 PM - 9 September, 2018
Quote:
This, I would go active, but they’ve got to be more transportable than just carrying my 1200s. I know we’re a hard to please bunch, It’s hard to believe someone hasn’t figured out the sweet spot yet.

Quote:

www.musicismysanctuary.com

www.stantondj.com

It’s crazy how nobody has done it years ago...
ironic mode: off.

The point is mostly around 7” (but the stanton is 10” and was the first) but djs evolve slowly (or just left and those who still scratch are technics lovers now rane twelves but usually never v7/ns7... also denons are 9” but poor dvs/midi implementation and price makes them so so...

In the end the closed gardens of serato/traktor had let turntables die slowly. Now each one try to bring back those (twelve vs s4mk3) but true innovation was in portablism.

ATM hardly we will see another motorized controller like those. Times goes by and turntables have killed themselves by success...
So Fresh 5:24 PM - 9 September, 2018
I can’t quantify the drift but for my level of cutting I feel they are better than my Vestax turntable setup. The scopes are perfect because if it being sd / cd signal.

Honestly they feels amazing! My stabs feel and sound better then ever
So Fresh 8:04 AM - 10 September, 2018
is sticker drift an issue using timecode on pionner CDJ?
Despo 9:25 PM - 10 September, 2018
Quote:
is sticker drift an issue using timecode on pionner CDJ?

Yes, it happens to me in rel mode with cd timecode. I will try using recorded vinyl timecode on cdjs
v@l 10:24 PM - 10 September, 2018
Here's a mod i did to use with phase dj setup www.instagram.com
v@l 10:26 PM - 10 September, 2018
In flight Cases $ added reloop neons www.instagram.com
So Fresh 10:53 PM - 10 September, 2018
I just got these flightcase today -great deal!!

www.theflightcasecompany.com

Quote:
In flight Cases $ added reloop neons www.instagram.com
v@l 11:03 PM - 10 September, 2018

www.theflightcasecompany.com Dope!
v@l 11:04 PM - 10 September, 2018
Quote:

So Fresh 11:06 PM - 10 September, 2018
Here the link! Sorry

www.theflightcasecompany.com

£57 is super cheap! And they are solid as

Quote:
Quote:

DaltonSR20 4:35 PM - 12 September, 2018
Quote:
Here's a mod i did to use with phase dj setup www.instagram.com

I'm curious as to why you would use the Phase on a DZ1200? The unit can send a clean and clear signal to your DVS as it is with a CD or SD card inserted. The point of the phase was to remove the tonearm, cartridge, stylus, and control vinyl; the DZ1200 has none of those. This would almost be exactly like someone using the Phase on a Rane TWELVE.

To me, you're adding an unnecessary layer (and cost) for something to maintain or something to go wrong or drop out (you gotta make sure their charged).
v@l 6:33 PM - 12 September, 2018
Thats your opinion just maybe they where old and faulty! also i found a way to put the phase unit inside the deck watch this space..
So Fresh 10:23 PM - 12 September, 2018
That true and it may be a waste of time. I think audio of of the dz’s could be a improved by phase and the slight digital distortion on slow rubs and start stop.

I’m mostly gonna use the dz’s for bar type controller gigs so really might be over kill with phase but if it gives me that last 5% to make them sing i’m Up for it.

I’m getting phase either way for my pdx’s

The dz’ mkii were just a little obsession for me but I love the feel of them. I think it’s the technics motor and feel over the vestax torq.

Any way might be stupid idea but fuck it

It’s all a bit of fun init:)
Chino 10:57 PM - 21 September, 2018
Im going to hold out until NAMM 2019. Hopefully, Rane will release a 9" or 10" mobile friendly version of the 12. If not, I will sell my 3900s & buy a set of the SLDZ 1200MKII mods.
v@l 8:58 AM - 22 September, 2018
I just sold my 3900 i'm rocking like this until i get my rane 72.
www.instagram.com
dj_soo 9:25 AM - 22 September, 2018
Man, where the fuck are you guys finding your SLDZ 1200s?
v@l 9:27 AM - 22 September, 2018
Man, where the fuck are you guys finding your SLDZ 1200s?
Done these myself..
So Fresh 10:05 AM - 23 September, 2018
A few are popping up on eBay

I got mine from a seller on the dz1200 fb group

Great deal! I did have a set which I bought from eBay and they we’re faulty and had to send back the seller has put them again but will say he was very difficult to say the least.

But keep an eye out. I think Stuart has two at the moment ready for a mkii upgrade:)
Mutis Mayfield 1:33 PM - 23 September, 2018
I see some time to time at wallapop (spanish craiglist like app)
HighTopFade 5:23 AM - 26 September, 2018
Worth it? 700 with cases.

sfbay.craigslist.org
So Fresh 11:55 AM - 26 September, 2018
I would say that’s not bad at all

Similar to what i paid obviously it including mkii upgrade and 12” skinz

Quote:
Worth it? 700 with cases.

sfbay.craigslist.org
So Fresh 12:14 PM - 26 September, 2018
Not
dj_soo 5:31 PM - 26 September, 2018
I’d buy it at that price.

I paid almost double for pair sc3900 and that didn’t include cases.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 8:02 PM - 26 September, 2018
this sldz1200 upgrade looks interesting. Does it involve splicing and soldering though?
dj_soo 8:12 PM - 26 September, 2018
I think it depends on the upgrade - the basic DIY DVS upgrade doesn't require any soldering. If you want the midi upgrade it probably does, but I think he only does that if you ship the units to him.
So Fresh 8:35 PM - 26 September, 2018
I’m really glad I got him to do mine, they almost feel factory fitted if that makes sense. speaking to him he was pretty confident that the kits are relatively easy but i’m Lucky it was like an hour drive from mine to drop them off
Chino 10:42 PM - 26 September, 2018
Quote:
I’m really glad I got him to do mine, they almost feel factory fitted if that makes sense. speaking to him he was pretty confident that the kits are relatively easy but i’m Lucky it was like an hour drive from mine to drop them off

I know a DIY kit is available. I still wish there was an authorized dealer or tech facility in the U.S. that I could send a set directly to & have the mod done professionally.

I may try to buy a set and do the mod myself.
v@l 1:06 PM - 20 October, 2018
I Did mine myself no soldering but had to move thing around & design a spindle system
www.instagram.com
Chino 10:47 PM - 9 December, 2018
Quote:
i found a way to put the phase unit inside the deck watch this space..

Now this sounds interesting!
dj_soo 1:45 AM - 10 December, 2018
Is it worth it? Would you have to open the unit up to recharge the transmitter every time?

I don’t understand the appeal of adding latency to a unit when it’s easy enough to just use the timecode on an sdcard that comes with the mod.

Why would you want to add more points of failure and latency - not to mention batter power reliance - into the unit when you don’t need to?
v@l 9:16 AM - 10 December, 2018
Quote:
Is it worth it? Would you have to open the unit up to recharge the transmitter every time?

I don’t understand the appeal of adding latency to a unit when it’s easy enough to just use the timecode on an sdcard that comes with the mod.

Why would you want to add more points of failure and latency - not to mention batter power reliance - into the unit when you don’t need to?

Thats incorrect as soon as i get the phase unit once released i will post how iv'e done this....
Chino 2:14 AM - 18 December, 2018
@So Fresh- Let me begin by giving you a SHOUT OUT & RESPECT! I joined the private Facebook group that you mentioned & I'm now officially the proud owner of a set of...
Technics SLDZ 1200MKIIs!! I've had them for almost a week now. Here are my observations so far...

My BIASED point of reference will always be the Technics SL-1200MK2s whether I'm using a MIDI controller or CDJ standalone type deck. That said, the Technics SLDZ 1200MKII mod FINALLY lives up to it's namesake!! What does that mean? It means that it looks like a 1200, it's built like a 1200 & most importantly it FEELS like a 1200 (only smaller)!!!

Many of you already know that I've been contemplating on buying the Rane 12s and/or waiting for Phase to use with my Technics 1200s. I currently use the Denon sc3900s for my mobile gigs. The Denon sc3900s are good except for sticker drift & the 1200 'feel' is just not there. No matter how much I adjusted the torque & brake knobs, I could never really mimic the feel of 1200s. Is the SLDZ mod perfect? No, but it comes REALLY close in a very portable package. The limitations force me to be a better DJ overall. I can also verify that there is definitely an improvement in tracking(latency) versus the 3900s. I believe it's due to the fact that the SLDZ uses Serato's original control signal instead of the generic one found internally in the Denon 3900s. Other forum members have mentioned this as well.

To sum it up, the SLDZ mod JUST FEELS RIGHT!!! If anyone is interested, please check out the SLDZ MKII Facebook page listed above in this thread. I have also posted pics of my setup & MK3 improvements that I made on the private SLDZ Facebook group.
dj_soo 7:52 AM - 18 December, 2018
Man, I saw a pair of these going for sale on craigslist locally a few years back - before I learned of this mod - and passed. Shoulda grabbed them...
Chino 1:41 PM - 18 December, 2018
Quote:
Man, I saw a pair of these going for sale on craigslist locally a few years back - before I learned of this mod - and passed. Shoulda grabbed them...

I'll keep a look out for you. If I hear about anyone selling a pair- I'll definitely let you know asap!
So Fresh 1:42 PM - 18 December, 2018
Excellent!!

I’m glad you are happy:)

They are not perfect but they have that technics feel which is indescribable.

I really love mine and have been using them over my pdx2300 as I prefer the feel.
Chino 2:36 PM - 23 December, 2018
Quote:
the dz1200MkII have that technics thing, wrong but so so right if that makes sense.

^^^THIS!! I did my first gig with them last night. It was a laid back Christmas party so it gave me the perfect opportunity to test them out. Pure fun! I absolute love the feel of them. Perfect size & I instantly felt very comfortable on them!
So Fresh 4:44 PM - 23 December, 2018
:)

It’s so hard to quantify a feeling in words:)

they make me smile like my first pair of 1210’s
Benzito 1:12 PM - 24 December, 2018
I reached out to Stuart last night. Had to create FB account in order to do it...Hope he still has kits left to purchase.

@So Fresh/ladidadi, was the DYI easy to do? thanks
So Fresh 9:59 PM - 24 December, 2018
Stuart did mine
Chino 1:14 AM - 25 December, 2018
Does anyone know if the 8 hour Serato time code on SD will prevent the decks from going into internal mode?

I have a set of 16min Serato time code on SD cards. It automatically goes into Internal mode after it runs out of the 16min signal. This use to happen with my Denon 3900s as well. I'm hoping an 8 hour version will prevent this without having any errors.
dj_soo 10:25 AM - 25 December, 2018
So what would you say are the main differences between the DZ1200 and the SC3900s? Just the platter/motor feel? How's the accuracy and sticker drift on the 1200s?
Chino 5:19 PM - 25 December, 2018
Quote:
So what would you say are the main differences between the DZ1200 and the SC3900s? Just the platter/motor feel? How's the accuracy and sticker drift on the 1200s?

Sticker drift & tracking in general is def improved. It's a very noticeable difference. It feels like it has lower latency & a tighter feel overall. I prefer the slightly larger platter & smaller spindle. I also prefer the build quality/look of the Technics. The buttons feel way better too!

The straight DVS mod will cause you to loose CUE & sampler button functionality. There is a MIDI upgrade available now to restore those functions. Playing music on CDs can be done but its prob best to use it for emergencies only since there is no screen to select the song that you want to play.

It was more of a lateral move with a BIG improvement on the build quality & platter/motor feel.

I never used the CD/USB functionality of the Denon 3900s so I don't need or miss those features. I also don't need use of the CUE/ sampler buttons since I use a Rane 72 mixer.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Technics SLDZ MKII mod!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Chino 4:03 PM - 1 January, 2019
2nd gig using the Rane 72/Technics SLDZ mod combo. New Years Eve went flawless. Great start to the new year!
YZ 10:40 PM - 2 January, 2019
Can someone compare the feel and lag with the SLDZ vs Rane Twelves? I've always wanted DZ's with the mod, but always nervous to purchase.
Chino 4:47 PM - 3 January, 2019
Quote:
Can someone compare the feel and lag with the SLDZ vs Rane Twelves? I've always wanted DZ's with the mod, but always nervous to purchase.

I spent a limited amount of time (maybe an hour) on the Rane 12s. The white acrylic felt overly slippery on the surface but heavy in weight (when compared to actual vinyl). IMHO it felt awkward. Another forum member mentioned that the feel does improve significantly when the white acrylic is replace with actual vinyl on butter rugs. I definitely like the Rane 12s but I wasn't blown away by them.

Whether you like the "feel" of a deck is all subjective/personal preference BUT lag(latency) is not. The Rane 12s are MIDI devices and latency plays a role. I prefer the SLDZ mod over the Denon 3900s and Rane 12s because of the lower latency. Yes, I can tell(feel) the difference immediately!

Another factor was the reality of lugging decks to gigs that are very similar in size & weight to my Technics 1200s. I might as well just wait until Phase is released & use it with my 1200s. The practicality, portability & overall 'feel' won me over so I decided to buy a set of SLDZ mods.

These days most crowds could care less about what you are spinning' on as long as your playing the music that THEY want to hear.

I've said this before but... I would recommend buying whichever deck YOU feel most comfortable on- one that helps you perform at your best. Good Luck!
GusGomez 4:56 PM - 3 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I spent a limited amount of time (maybe an hour) on the Rane 12s. The white acrylic felt overly slippery on the surface but heavy in weight (when compared to actual vinyl). IMHO it felt awkward. Another forum member mentioned that the feel does improve significantly when the white acrylic is replace with actual vinyl on butter rugs. I definitely like the Rane 12s but I wasn't blown away by them.

Whether you like the "feel" of a deck is all subjective/personal preference BUT lag(latency) is not. The Rane 12s are MIDI devices and latency plays a role. I prefer the SLDZ mod over the Denon 3900s and Rane 12s because of the lower latency. Yes, I can tell(feel) the difference immediately!

Another factor was the reality of lugging decks to gigs that are very similar in size & weight to my Technics 1200s. I might as well just wait until Phase is released & use it with my 1200s. The practicality, portability & overall 'feel' won me over so I decided to buy a set of SLDZ mods.

These days most crowds could care less about what you are spinning' on as long as your playing the music that THEY want to hear.

I've said this before but... I would recommend buying whichever deck YOU feel most comfortable on- one that helps you perform at your best. Good Luck!

as much as i like the Twelves and i do love them you are completely right that's why if i could do it over again i would rather get the Denon SC500M's much easier to carry and the stand alone capabilities is also a winner for me...Now if they could make them work with Serato and the Rane 72 it would definitely consider ttrading my twelve's
Chino 5:22 PM - 3 January, 2019
Quote:
Now if they could make them work with Serato and the Rane 72, I would definitely consider trading my twelve's

I wish Denon had kept the same size platter that are on the 3900s. Unfortunately, the smaller platter/larger spindle is a no for me. It also doesn't help that I had a deck completely freeze on me at the DJ Expo in AC??!!!
GusGomez 5:31 PM - 3 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Now if they could make them work with Serato and the Rane 72, I would definitely consider trading my twelve's

I wish Denon had kept the same size platter that are on the 3900s. Unfortunately, the smaller platter/larger spindle is a no for me. It also doesn't help that I had a deck completely freeze on me at the DJ Expo in AC??!!!

wow it froze on you? damn that's not a good look...Maybe Technic will come with something next week.
Chino 5:45 PM - 3 January, 2019
Quote:
wow it froze on you? damn that's not a good look...Maybe Technic will come with something next week.

Yeah, it sucks that it froze on me!! I'm REALLY disappointed in the overall lack of 'quality control' on some of the new Denon DJ products. inMusic Brand needs ALOT of help in that department!!
So Fresh 7:06 PM - 3 January, 2019
The only problems I have with the dz II’s are:

1.Start stop speed and distortion on power down slowdown
2. Time code length especially with lack of screen but fixable with long timecode on cd or sd
3.excess redundant buttons after mod

But apart from that they are solid as.

I’ve only used 12 for like 20mins so not fair to comment, The only thing I would say was they did not feel fun
Chino 7:31 PM - 3 January, 2019
Quote:

Time code length especially with lack of screen but fixable with long timecode on cd or sd

I found someone here in the U.S. selling the longer timecode signal on SD cards. I might try them out. I did hear reports of errors with the longer time code so that does worry me. I'll report back my findings...
Chino 7:39 PM - 3 January, 2019
Quote:
I’ve only used 12s for like 20mins so not fair to comment, The only thing I would say was they did not feel fun

There is something to be said for the 'FUN' factor of products. I guess if a product is fun to use then it will get more use & the user will become better skilled with the decks because of the frequent use.

Despite the shortcomings, the Technics SLDZ MK2 mod DEFINITELY has that 'FUN' factor!!
So Fresh 7:42 PM - 3 January, 2019
I’ve got a longer cd timecode from Stuart that I need to try.

It’s like 5h I think that was the max we could fit on a cd
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:54 AM - 4 January, 2019
Just on the point of putting a phase unit in the turntable not really practical unless you just plan on mixing with the pitch as you'll have no record control unless you stop the platter so what's the point
So Fresh 9:08 AM - 4 January, 2019
Why do you say that?

it could be done quite elegantly if you built some sort of cradle / cavity into the vinyl as it hollow under the vinyl.

Or just whack it on the top as how it wAS designed.

I really might cancel my phase if the 7th brings anything that incoperates DVs
Chino 9:04 PM - 4 January, 2019
Quote:
it could be done quite elegantly if you built some sort of cradle / cavity into the vinyl as it hollow under the vinyl.

You are a genius! You just gave me an idea. On a SLDZ mod with working CD/SD slots my idea may be unnecessary (redundant) but with a SLDZ that doesn't have a working CD/SD slot then Phase would be a great solution...

Attach the Phase transmitter on the BOTTOM center of the record & place the receiver INSIDE the Chassis. There should be enough room for the Phase receiver to fit inside the SLDZ. That way there is nothing but the spindle on top of the record. This would be a simple elegant solution to use Phase with SLDZ mods that are not fully functional.
So Fresh 9:37 PM - 4 January, 2019
Arr thanks chino:)

I was going to speak to Stuart about a power solution for the phase units under the vinyl
Using a slip ring like they have in 3axis camera gimbals so you wouldn’t have to take them out to charge.
v@l 10:21 PM - 4 January, 2019
I'mve done the phase mod just waiting for phase to be released when ever that is....
v@l 10:30 PM - 4 January, 2019
Here's what i came up with the phase sits inside under the vinyl i used clear vinyl with a cut out on the lable so you can see the phase & added dicers..
www.instagram.com
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:45 PM - 4 January, 2019
stupid idea i reckon can you post a profile pic , side on so we can see how much space you have between the platter and the vinyl
v@l 10:52 PM - 4 January, 2019
There's enough space for the phase which connects to the spindle from the bottom of the vinyl & charging the phase is simple..😎
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:00 PM - 4 January, 2019
so does your mod put any space between the vinyl and the platter and can you explain more on what you mean by connecting to the spindle?
v@l 11:09 PM - 4 January, 2019
Underneath the vinyl..
Quote:
so does your mod put any space between the vinyl and the platter and can you explain more on what you mean by connecting to the spindle?
v@l 11:18 PM - 4 January, 2019
Quote:
Underneath the vinyl..
Quote:

www.instagram.com
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:19 PM - 4 January, 2019
i'll see it if it ever gets released but i don't see the issue with the phase on top and in a year or 2 of the company is still around we will get a nano tech version
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:21 PM - 4 January, 2019
ok seen your pic, that makes more sense i didn't know there was a massive hollow under the record i thought you were going to be using the phase under the record but not in that massive hollow
v@l 11:23 PM - 4 January, 2019
Quote:
i'll see it if it ever gets released but i don't see the issue with the phase on top and in a year or 2 of the company is still around we will get a nano tech version

I had some busted up sldz just putting them to use..
v@l 11:25 PM - 4 January, 2019
Y
Quote:
ok seen your pic, that makes more sense i didn't know there was a massive hollow under the record i thought you were going to be using the phase under the record but not in that massive hollow

That would be a no go lol
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:36 PM - 4 January, 2019
I know that's why i thought it was a stupid idea , i thought you were connecting it to the bottom of the platter meaning you have no control unless you move the platter but that idea is ok, be sure to connect the phase upside down and not the correct way as it will not go clockwise for you on normal play
Chino 11:53 PM - 4 January, 2019
Quote:
Here's what i came up with the phase sits inside under the vinyl i used clear vinyl with a cut out on the lable so you can see the phase & added dicers..
www.instagram.com

DOPE!! I hope that Phase's latency is minimal (if it ever gets released!!!)
Djkom 1:38 AM - 5 January, 2019
Meanwhile, in my studio:

www.instagram.com

Perfect players EVER with my 9" clear vinyls !!!

No need Phase, sldz1200mkII, Rane 12, mk7... just need next SDJ version with HID support 🙂
Chino 2:04 AM - 5 January, 2019
Quote:

just need next SDJ version with HID support 🙂

I hope Serato & Denon can get those players to work right with the Rane 72.
dj_soo 2:57 AM - 5 January, 2019
I still don't understand the idea of adding latency, wireless signal, and battery power when all you're getting is timecode signal - something you get just from an SDcard loaded with the control tone.
Chino 4:11 AM - 5 January, 2019
Quote:
I still don't understand the idea of adding latency, wireless signal, and battery power when all you're getting is timecode signal - something you get just from an SDcard loaded with the control tone.

This is just an option for owners of the SLDZ decks that have faulty CD/SD drives. In most cases installing Phase would be cheaper than fixing/replacing the CD/SD drive (if the parts can even be found). If breaths new life into these decks.
Chino 4:11 AM - 5 January, 2019
*it
So Fresh 4:15 AM - 5 January, 2019
My sd am cd are fine

It’s the distortion on breaking and slow downs I don’t like

Them denon m’s look great

But if i’m Honest a bit busy, I love the simplicity and size of the dz’s
Chino 4:43 AM - 5 January, 2019
Quote:

I have noticed a slight digitalized sound on breaking. I combat this by...

1. Adjusting the breaking speed to slightly less than the fastest setting
2. Turning off the 'instant change'
3. Stopping the platter
4. Quickly perform a slight, slow backspin

This gives me the desired effect without much artifact.

On my Denon 3900s there was no artifacts(digital distortion) on brakes but I could never get the backspin to sound right. The sound would cut off too quickly. It sounded unnatural. I think it had something to do with the motor torque. I adjusted it but the results were the same.
Chino 4:49 AM - 5 January, 2019
Quote:
I love the simplicity and size of the dz’s

+1. My Rane 72 is busy enough with all the flashing lights & buttons! Lol
dj_soo 5:39 AM - 5 January, 2019
Quote:
My sd am cd are fine

Them denon m’s look great

But if i’m Honest a bit busy, I love the simplicity and size of the dz’s

do you have pitch n time on?
So Fresh 7:24 AM - 5 January, 2019
Yup

Do you think that is the problem?
dj_soo 8:44 AM - 5 January, 2019
Yea, pitch n time is awful for things like record stops, slowdowns, and slow scratches.

Just a part of using the algorithm unfortunately.

It's why I'm still gravitating towards the Twelves (or hopefully something smaller). Midi/HID bypasses the timecode so record stops and power downs work because it's not dependent on timecode.
Donald Cassey 6:32 AM - 6 January, 2019
I always have pitch problems with my DJing. Although I do mix-up things very good.
So Fresh 3:58 PM - 8 January, 2019
So my dz’s are safe but vestax 2300 are up for sale:)

I really want the reloops

I’m also going to look into the midi upgrade on the dz’s

Shame technics didn't pull it out the bag, still a little shocked they didn't go balls out
Chino 4:05 PM - 8 January, 2019
Quote:
I’m also going to look into the midi upgrade on the dz’s

Please keep me updated on this. I may send mine out for the MIDI mod too.
Benzito 1:00 AM - 9 January, 2019
I gave up trying to get ahold of Stuart..

Question. Would updating the firmware from 2.1 to 2.3 make a huge difference?
I ordered a 32meg SD card off Ebay inorder for me to do this.

thanks!
Chino 1:07 AM - 9 January, 2019
Quote:
Question. Would updating the firmware from 2.1 to 2.3 make a huge difference?
I ordered a 32meg SD card off Ebay inorder for me to do this.

YES!! Luckily, my set came with the latest firmware (2.3) installed. It helps improve the digital distortion(artifacts) you mentioned before. Its prob why I only notice a very slight digital distortion on brakes and slow downs(rubs) on my decks. Its really helps slow scratches too Firmware 2.3 fixed all that (for the most part).

Did you try out your longer 5hr timecode CD yet? I still need to get a set of the 8hr Serato timecode signals on SDs to try out.
Chino 1:08 AM - 9 January, 2019
Sorry the last part was directed @So Fresh..lol
Chino 1:10 AM - 9 January, 2019
Quote:
I gave up trying to get ahold of Stuart..

Were you able to get your decks modded?
Benzito 2:32 AM - 9 January, 2019
Hi Chino, thanks for the quick reply. I will definitely try to 2.3 firmware upgrade.

No, unfortunately I did not get my dz1200 modded.
So Fresh 3:39 PM - 10 January, 2019
not had a chance chino

I've just given my decks to dj prime cuts for a week so he can get used to them,

we are going to do a little video and pics for Stuart as his ones are rubbish
Chino 5:56 PM - 10 January, 2019
Quote:

Nice! Hopefully that will generate more interest in the mods!
pdidy 6:39 AM - 22 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Nice! Hopefully that will generate more interest in the mods!

Never going to happen, too many of us know the history of those decks.
Chino 7:17 AM - 22 January, 2019
Quote:
Never going to happen, too many of us know the history of those decks.

I guess you don't believe in second chances? Lol. The MKII mod is a VAST improvement over the original. Its not perfect but it definitely suits my needs. I prefer using the SLDZ MKII mod instead of my controller(s) and 3900s.
So Fresh 8:01 AM - 22 January, 2019
I have to second that one

The dzmkii s9 setup is the controller i’ve Always wanted plus being modular easy to transport. No tone arm, techinics feel, solid time code, two channel battle mixer layout:)

My 808 was lovely but buggy and still not perfect,
Really did’nt need the tr or 4 channels. And was left looking and feeling amateur when playing out with it.

The vestax 380 was and is sold as a rock! But has a different use.

The dz’s were bad but i’m Sure if you tried them you will be surprised.

Hopefully something new will come out that will fill that gap but till then they are my best solution.
Chino 3:42 PM - 23 January, 2019
*UPDATE*

I bought a set of the 8hr Serato time code SDs from a U.S. Ebay seller. Unfortunately, the decks still go into INTERNAL mode after the normal 16min + Serato time code runs out. Maybe this is by design no matter the length of the timecode?

One interesting observation is that the sound of my brake stops & slow scratches sound much better now. Im not sure if the original time code SDs(that came with the decks) were a copy of a copy? The new SDs have made a noticeable improvement!
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:36 PM - 23 January, 2019
As it's digital a copy of a copy has no bearing, data does degrade but I doubt that's your issue
Chino 7:19 PM - 23 January, 2019
Quote:
As it's digital a copy of a copy has no bearing, data does degrade but I doubt that's your issue

Maybe the updated firmware was included on the SDs? It's possible that when I inserted the new SDs it also installed the firmware. There is no screen so there is no way for me to check -LOL.

Either way it def sounds much better for some reason!!
Chino 7:30 PM - 9 February, 2019
Quote:

Hopefully something new will come out that will fill that gap but till then they are my best solution.

^ THIS!
YZ 4:49 PM - 12 February, 2019
Really wanted the Twelves when they were released. From what you all have been saying, my friends, etc... don't want them anymore. I'm sure they're nice\ok but for that much money I'm waiting for a MK2 edition or something else. As far as the Phase is concerned, that's old tech using wires, base stations, bluetooth, what lese am I missing? that's going to burn out in less than a year. Plus... well, it' ain't even a product yet!

The DZ's I've always wanted, always seen them for consignment at Guitar Center too. I may pick up a modded pair just because it's still less than a new Twelve.
Chino 6:11 PM - 12 February, 2019
Quote:
The DZ's I've always wanted, always seen them for consignment at Guitar Center too. I may pick up a modded pair just because it's still less than a new Twelve.

As you can probably already guess, I'm REALLY happy with my set of SLDZ MKII mods! They work well with my Rane 72 & the build quality/portability factor is also a plus. I bought my modded set for the price of one Twelve.
YZ 6:49 PM - 12 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

As you can probably already guess, I'm REALLY happy with my set of SLDZ MKII mods! They work well with my Rane 72 & the build quality/portability factor is also a plus. I bought my modded set for the price of one Twelve.

Who, where.. from the facebook uk dude?
Chino 9:21 PM - 12 February, 2019
Quote:

Who, where.. from the facebook uk dude?

There was a DJ out of NY selling a set that he already had modded. On the SLDZ Facebook fan page there is another DJ selling a set from NJ. I would recommend checking that site out. There is a lot of good info posted & the guys there are always willing to help out if you ever run into any issues with your SLDZ.
So Fresh 9:51 PM - 17 February, 2019
I wish Technics would release official Mkii’s
They would clean up
Chino 3:51 AM - 18 February, 2019
Quote:
I wish Technics would release official Mkii’s
They would clean up

Maybe we will see an official release @NAMM2020?

Since Technics is "re-engaging the DJ community", hopefully a matching mixer will also be released. This is the perfect opportunity for a Technics/Serato collabo...
So Fresh 9:26 AM - 18 February, 2019
If Technics do make it I hope they make it cross platform and keep it simple.
So Fresh 6:19 PM - 20 February, 2019
GusGomez 6:30 PM - 20 February, 2019

Damn that’s dope
Chino 6:35 PM - 20 February, 2019

; ) I keep trying to tell people what is comings next...
GusGomez 6:53 PM - 20 February, 2019
Quote:

If it’s not stand alone it’ll be a fail
Djkom 11:27 PM - 20 February, 2019
Quote:

This is a fan made video, clearly not a official teaser from Technics ...
So tell us what is coming and from who !!! :-)
So Fresh 3:59 PM - 22 February, 2019
Here you go,

I’m the fan:)

djworx.com
Chino 10:42 PM - 22 February, 2019
Quote:
Here you go,

I’m the fan:)

djworx.com

Consider me a SUPER fan, lol! I'm definitely promoting them here in the States. I'll be demoing them to a bunch of DJs (& general public) at an event this coming Sunday.
So Fresh 10:43 PM - 22 February, 2019
It would be great know what you guys think of the article and agree with the sentiment :)

It was a lot of fun to do