Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Warming up digital output

Philip McGarva 5:43 AM - 27 August, 2018
For some reason it's not possible to post anything in the new features forum at the moment.

I'm interested to know if there's something like a plugin that can be used across the Serato outputs to simulate analogue qualities like harmonics and saturation that are sometimes missing from compressed digital files, cheers.
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:22 AM - 27 August, 2018
Doesn't seem to be an issue for me creating a post in the feature section,

but I wouldn't bother posting there anyhow, that area is just for rival companies to look through to get great ideas that serato couldn't give a crap abput
17tr2 1:01 PM - 27 August, 2018
Quote:
For some reason it's not possible to post anything in the new features forum at the moment.

I'm interested to know if there's something like a plugin that can be used across the Serato outputs to simulate analogue qualities like harmonics and saturation that are sometimes missing from compressed digital files, cheers.

Bandaids like that never work. You need something good to start with. There are steps you can tale to make what you have sound better. First thing is to use he highest quality files you can get. Compressed digital files are not the problem. Lossy compressed digital files are. Lossless compression like flac is fine. After that, you need to look at your gain structure. Any time you attenuate volume in the digital domain, resolution is directly linked to it. The lower the volume, the lower the resolution. For example, a 320k mp3 file is only 320k if your digital volume control(s) are set to max. Turn the volume down and you lose resolution. You can minimize the damage by making an effort to keep digital volume controls as high as possible. A good place to start, is to see if your controller has a global gain setting. If it does, set it as low as you can get away with that still allows you just enough gain to use it normally.
Philip McGarva 1:10 PM - 27 August, 2018
Good points. I’ll make sure I pay attention to all these, cheers.