Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Is serato DJ pro just for controllers

smokeyjoe 8:59 PM - 20 August, 2018
I have been a long time Serato user and I think i am missing something.

I have used Serato since the Rane Sl1 so I would like to think I know what i am doing but maybe I could be a complete idiot ?

I have a Macbook pro 2012 13inch 2.9ghz i7 with 16 gig of ram and a 500 gig ssd

I recently upgraded to osx Sierra and thought no problems for Serato DJ Pro.

So my Pioneer ddj sr2 works perfectly no glitches sounds smooth screen and sounds as one would expect for this type of controller.

My Rane Sl4 is a completly different story. The sound is terrible the screen glitches all the time. Even when scrolling through tracks the waveforms stutter and the signal is so hot the sound is almost distorted. I have pulled that back to -89db and it is almost bearable. I have all the right setting but surley as other professional this is not acceptable ?

Now I have rolled back to Yosemite and Scratch Live for my Rane Sl4 and can honestly say it is night and day the sound quality and also the display does not glitch at all.

Are we all doomed or am i a complete idiot and doing something wrong.
DJ Tecniq 10:12 PM - 20 August, 2018
Did you install the driver for Sierra and have you updated the firmware for the SL4? If not then you definitely missed something.
DJ Tecniq 10:13 PM - 20 August, 2018
For proper install instructions see here
dj.rane.com
smokeyjoe 12:45 PM - 21 August, 2018
I have done all that mate .... I think my point would be serato dj is great for controllers and mixers designed for it but for Rane SL boxes Scratch live works better.

Unless someone has a rane sl boxes and says it works better on Serato dj than scratch live i would love to know ?
Logisticalstyles 2:30 PM - 21 August, 2018
Quote:
but for Rane SL boxes Scratch live works better

Well, the SL does stand for Scratch Live so i assume it would work better with that program.
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:32 PM - 21 August, 2018
Quote:
I have done all that mate .... I think my point would be serato dj is great for controllers and mixers designed for it but for Rane SL boxes Scratch live works better.

Unless someone has a rane sl boxes and says it works better on Serato dj than scratch live i would love to know ?

Rane has not updated drivers for pre InMusic products in a hot minute. The last drivers were released in almost a nonchalant way if I may describe it like that.

There is a thread on the forum with 62 users having issues.

Serato DJ works fine with my Pioneer DJM S9 with DVS and controllers as well.
smokeyjoe 3:01 PM - 21 August, 2018
Thats my point anything since the release of serato dj seems to work fine but all previous equipment seems to be glitchy at best so why continue to sell Rane boxes if there is a problem ...... when serato dj was laucnched it was a handful of controllers and rane products but still we are having problems maybe i am just destined only to use scratch live which means i will have to stay on yosemite
smokeyjoe 3:03 PM - 21 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
but for Rane SL boxes Scratch live works better

Well, the SL does stand for Scratch Live so i assume it would work better with that program.

It is true but why continue to sell the rane boxes then ?

Is someone using a rane box with serato dj pro and having no problems would love to know ?
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:59 PM - 21 August, 2018
Quote:
why continue to sell the rane boxes then ?

Million dollar/euro/shilling question

I know you posted that you have troubleshooted. Why don't you contact Serato support...they may be able to assist you.

The SL4 should work with Serato DJ.

You may just need to work your way up from basic things to advanced troubleshooting

Partition your hard drive into 2

Leave Yosemite as your daily OS and install Sierra on the second partition

Then you can troubleshoot Sierra + Serato DJ Pro + Rane SL4

Go through the usual optimization steps

If you have PNT disable it and see if it makes any difference

Switch off Hi Res display option in SDJ Pro

There is also a 32bit version of SDJ Pro which you can also try.

Could be anything