Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato Pro software skipping/freezing during gig

nickryan42 4:30 AM - 20 August, 2018
My 2017 Macbook Pro Touchbar running 10.13.6, using Serato DJ Pro 2.0.4 will have random spurts of the software skipping and freezing for roughly 1 to 2 seconds. No gap in playback, but it makes it nearly impossible to mix with. Even after restarting computer, reanalyzing files, restarting app.... nothing worked. This happened once about 2 weeks ago, I had to uninstall and reinstall the entire app. Has worked fine the last 5 times I've used it, now all of a sudden middle of Djing it does it AGAIN. Has anyone experienced this? Can anyone help me? I am not clipping with playback. My CPU is only at 18% MAX with Serato running. Nothing else was even open. Idk what to do but this is very irritating, because I have never had these issues before upgrading to Serato DJ Pro.
DJ Tecniq 5:06 AM - 20 August, 2018
Sounds like your Touchbar is causing these issues. Those laptops are a hit or miss with Serato.
nickryan42 5:11 AM - 20 August, 2018
Its certainly possible I guess, I mean I don't know much about the touchbar but it doesn't seem to do anything with Serato. It actually is off once the keyboard goes idle from only using my controller.
DJ Tecniq 5:16 AM - 20 August, 2018
What all devices do you connected to the laptop? There have been various issues with the Touchbar Macs lately but some users are having luck.
DJ Tecniq 5:16 AM - 20 August, 2018
Do you have*
nickryan42 5:18 AM - 20 August, 2018
During this situation, all I have connected is my DDJ-SX. I can try to post a link to a video I took of the situation hang on.
nickryan42 5:24 AM - 20 August, 2018
drive.google.com

I just uploaded it so it may take a second to work, but this is a small clip of exactly what it is doing. Maybe somebody with a touchbar mac has figured this out but its getting old for me quick lol. I love this mac. I have 0 issues, 0 complaints but what I know is that it does not seem to play well with Serato Pro. I'm almost thinking I should have stuck with just regular old Serato DJ.
DJ Tecniq 5:24 AM - 20 August, 2018
Quote:
During this situation, all I have connected is my DDJ-SX. I can try to post a link to a video I took of the situation hang on.
That would be great. Didn’t you say you use an external drive too though? Does it use a diff connection other than usb like thunderbolt?
DJ Tecniq 5:26 AM - 20 August, 2018
Correction. Sorry that was a diff post someone mentioned an external. My bad
DJ Tecniq 5:29 AM - 20 August, 2018
Did the computer come pre installed with High Sierra on it? My other suggestion is to back up your data and do a clean install of the OS. If problems still occur after that then it’s maybe something internal with the machine itself or maybe Serato library is corrupt. Have you scanned for any corrupt files? Corrupt files can cause all types of interruption with Serato.
nickryan42 5:31 AM - 20 August, 2018
No external. Just the SX but I have to use a dongle in order to connect the USB to the board. Macs only have type c ports but I did buy the best one available. When using it to transfer music, it still is at the typical speed it should be.

Serato still does this skipping thing without the board connected anyway. It does it when music is just playing on the app. Also, I've opened Youtube and experienced no similar skipping. Opened iTunes, nothing. Played a video from my desktop, no issues. This all makes me believe it is Serato DJ Pro related.

It came with High Sierra. I've only updated it once since I got it. Both my OS and Serato are up to date. I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of Serato last time, which only fixed this issue for about 5 or so gigs. Its reoccured now. Same OS and version of Serato then too.

No corrupt files. I just got this laptop brand new so I've only transferred over 2000-3000 songs so far from my old one, and they're all perfectly there, etc.
nickryan42 5:32 AM - 20 August, 2018
Thanks by the way for the support, I really appreciate it man.
DJ Tecniq 5:32 AM - 20 August, 2018
I recall reading something about a bug with the iSight camera and audio glitching from the camera lens with the Touchbars. I can’t recall if there’s a fix but can you confirm if it only happens when a camera is pointed at your iSight camera on your laptop? Or does the studdering happen no matter what?
nickryan42 5:37 AM - 20 August, 2018
Its happened both in situations where I am in a dark room, light room (like right now) and during gigs where lasers and projectors are across my screen. It doesn't seem to make a difference what the camera is seeing in the situation. So my thought that is was possibly the light sensors or something didn't make a difference. And I've never seen my camera even turned on at all. a small green LED turns on when the camera is activated, and I've never used it. So no I don't think it could be the issue. I'm reading now through forums and stuff, can't really seem to find anyone else having this issue :(
DJ Tecniq 5:37 AM - 20 August, 2018
If you say the audio studdering happens without your hardware connected then this sounds like High Sierra is the issue and it’s related to the OS. If you want to rule out the OS the only way to find out is to completely wipe the Mac and do a clean install of the operating system. It’s not the dongle cause you confirmed it happens in offline player as well correct? That’s something that’s not normal cause i get no audio studder on my Mid 2014 mbp but I’m also not on High Sierra i just have Sierra OS.
nickryan42 5:38 AM - 20 August, 2018
I'm going to try a complete wipe of my laptop and restore then. I'll back it up and install everything just as it is now, hopefully this will solve my issue.
DJ Tecniq 5:39 AM - 20 August, 2018
And I I have a 2014 so it’s of course not a Touchbar. Do you have the dongle connected while offline still or do you disconnect it?
nickryan42 5:39 AM - 20 August, 2018
It really can't hurt lol and there isn't much on here at all so it shouldnt take long
nickryan42 5:40 AM - 20 August, 2018
Quote:
And I I have a 2014 so it’s of course not a Touchbar. Do you have the dongle connected while offline still or do you disconnect it?

I still disconnect it
DJ Tecniq 5:42 AM - 20 August, 2018
Quote:
It really can't hurt lol and there isn't much on here at all so it shouldnt take long
at this point what else have you got to lose? Make sure it’s a full clean install of the OS that means it will save no data and you’ll have to back it up first. I have high hopes it will correct your issue. A fresh system is always best. I updated from Yosemite to High Sierra and have video issues and freezes. So instead i did a clean install of Sierra OS and everything is running like butter.
DJ Tecniq 5:45 AM - 20 August, 2018
It’s possible the computer came preinstalled with an older OS and it was updated to High Sierra. Regardless I would do a clean install and start from scratch again. Cause i sure as hell couldnt play like that those studders are really bad.
nickryan42 12:38 PM - 20 August, 2018
Thanks a million, I backed it up last night I'm going to try it today. I have no doubts it'll at least work temporarily but in like 2 weeks or so if it doesn't do it again I think that's when I'll really know. Either way I'll post on here about it lol
gostradergo 9:55 PM - 31 August, 2018
Noticed this lag problem also. Did a test on internal mode Serato DJ Pro. The wave lenght stuttering / skipping happens when direct light is hitting screen (camera and sensor). I used a flashlight. This computer is a touchbar w/ High Sierra 10.13.4

Wonder if this is on Serato or Apple.
Aptidda 10:03 PM - 31 August, 2018
Dang, feel so bad you guys are having problems.

I guess 32GB of Ram is the way to go......
dj zaza 5:50 AM - 1 September, 2018
Hello Gostradergo, then for the problems with the camera that blocks the Ui when it is struck by light, you have to disable the brightness sensor, go into keyboard shortcuts and set that when you open Serato TB show the keys from F1a12, this will solve the problem with the UI, you can also do a test opening Serato, with the TB that shows the buttons of the App if you pass the hand in front of the camera you'll see that the UI freezes, but if you press FN and the F1 keys appear and run your hand in front of the camera you will not have this problem anymore. For audio I do not know if the Sx2 has drivers or is class compliant, but they could be the cause of the drop outs. I hope my suggestion helps.
DJ Tecniq 5:57 AM - 1 September, 2018
Quote:
Noticed this lag problem also. Did a test on internal mode Serato DJ Pro. The wave lenght stuttering / skipping happens when direct light is hitting screen (camera and sensor). I used a flashlight. This computer is a touchbar w/ High Sierra 10.13.4

Wonder if this is on Serato or Apple.
It’s a bug with the Touchbar Macs camera sensor many users have reported the same it’s an Apple issue apparently.
haanuman 5:21 PM - 2 September, 2018
I also have the freezing issues.