DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Help! Where Can I Find a Replacement USB cable. (DDJ SR)

Krystal Lake 9:27 AM - 19 August, 2018
Hey everyone! I have a DDJ SR and to make a long story short, my cable was grabbed at a venue, I don't have it anymore and theres no way of getting it back.

My problem is no other usb cable works with my controller except for the one that came with the SR. I tried one from my printer, as well as one from a DDJ SX, and an old one I had laying around, but nothing works.

Basically theres no audio coming from my headphones or master when using other cables, however it does turn on and Serato recognizes the midi signals, just no audio output, so I'm guessing it's a usb power issue?

I know this is a usb problem because it happened to someone else luckily they still had their original cable. So my question is does anyone know the cable that comes with the DDJ SR or the type of cable it is so I can find one that might be compatible. So far all I know is it's a USB 2.0 cable. Thanks for reading :)
DJ_Dad 10:34 AM - 19 August, 2018
Any usb type A to type B cable with a usb 2.0 spec should work. I use chroma cables personally, but any decent one from amazon should work fine. There is nothing proprietary about the pioneer cable.
Hanginon 12:02 PM - 20 August, 2018
Get a USB cable with 28/24 printed on it, and as short as possible, because I think your DDJ SR is USB only powered (no wall wart).
support.native-instruments.com
Hanginon 3:32 PM - 20 August, 2018
I know a lot of people think Physics is a dirty word, but here's the science behind it.

A 6' USB cable that uses 28 gauge wires for both data and power, can have as much as a .4V voltage drop.

.0649 ohms per foot x 12' (hot + ground return) = .78 ohms
Using E=IR, .78 ohms x .5 amps (500ma USB 2.0 port) = .39 volts

Now add a little contact resistance from the connectors at both ends, and you will have a .5V or more voltage drop, a 10% loss - which is significant when dealing with a maximum 5V system. This can cause connectivity issues and poor sound quality issues with controllers that are only USB port powered.

Using the same parameters, a 3' USB cable that uses 28 gauge wires for data and 24 gauge wires for power, will have a worst case total (including contact resistance) of .2V voltage drop, a significant improvement.
Krystal Lake 4:17 PM - 20 August, 2018
Thank you so much! Seriously that was so nice of you to help and actually break it down. I'll try it out and keep you all updated :D
Quote:
I know a lot of people think Physics is a dirty word, but here's the science behind it.

A 6' USB cable that uses 28 gauge wires for both data and power, can have as much as a .4V voltage drop.

.0649 ohms per foot x 12' (hot + ground return) = .78 ohms
Using E=IR, .78 ohms x .5 amps (500ma USB 2.0 port) = .39 volts

Now add a little contact resistance from the connectors at both ends, and you will have a .5V or more voltage drop, a 10% loss - which is significant when dealing with a maximum 5V system. This can cause connectivity issues and poor sound quality issues with controllers that are only USB port powered.

Using the same parameters, a 3' USB cable that uses 28 gauge wires for data and 24 gauge wires for power, will have a worst case total (including contact resistance) of .2V voltage drop, a significant improvement.
Krystal Lake 4:18 PM - 20 August, 2018
Quote:
Any usb type A to type B cable with a usb 2.0 spec should work. I use chroma cables personally, but any decent one from amazon should work fine. There is nothing proprietary about the pioneer cable.

Thanks a lot I'm going to try it out!!!!
17tr2 8:50 PM - 20 August, 2018
Actually, Hanginon brings up a valid point. For a bus powered device, the 24 gauge cable may be a better choice. I would err on the side of caution and go that route. It can't be that much more money.
Krystal Lake 2:11 PM - 29 August, 2018
Just got my 3ft, 24 gauge cable and it works like a charm :D

Guys thanks so much!!!
Aptidda 3:41 PM - 31 August, 2018
Quote:

Guys thanks so much!!!

wow................ not very interesting.
Krystal Lake 4:37 PM - 31 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Guys thanks so much!!!

Wow............... Nobody asked you.
Aptidda 4:50 PM - 31 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Guys thanks so much!!!

Wow............... Nobody asked you.

wow............ no one cares about your USB cable.
Hanginon 4:56 PM - 31 August, 2018
Krystal, I'm glad the cable worked.
Don't get involved with this fool - just do your thing and have fun!
17tr2 5:00 PM - 31 August, 2018
Aptidda can't help himself/. He's created a fantasy life on the internet. Lets just say that if we could read his mind, we would be bored with our own.
Aptidda 5:17 PM - 31 August, 2018
Quote:
Aptidda can't help himself/. He's created a fantasy life on the internet. Lets just say that if we could read his mind, we would be bored with our own.

Facts.
Krystal Lake 1:55 PM - 1 September, 2018
True lol and thanks :) @Hanginon @17tr2