Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Denon SC5000M with Motorized Platter

R-A-C 12:07 AM - 10 August, 2018
just spotted the new denon! if you're interested in motorized platters this is worth a very close look: sc5000m.com

and just in case: i'm not affiliated with denon in any way. i just like the sc5000 a lot :-)
DjSyndic8 12:28 AM - 10 August, 2018
Quote:
just spotted the new denon! if you're interested in motorized platters this is worth a very close look: sc5000m.com

and just in case: i'm not affiliated with denon in any way. i just like the sc5000 a lot :-)

very cool I guess they have taken off where Numark finished by adding more features then the numark V7 I could see there next midi controller like this
Clubber1970 9:54 AM - 10 August, 2018
They look really amazing. Let‘s wait when Pioneer releases some kind of XDJ player with motorized platteres.
Aptidda 4:03 PM - 10 August, 2018
Quote:
They look really amazing. Let‘s wait when Pioneer releases some kind of XDJ player with motorized platteres.

LOL Pioneer is not going to release ANY player with "motorized" platters. PIO is trash. You just mad cuz you for SURE aren't getting one of these units (laughing hysterically envisioning your poor living conditions and the fact I just pre ordered two units).
DFK 6:11 PM - 10 August, 2018
This looks dope as hell !

Owning a DN-S5500 and SC3900 this seems to be the ultimate update all turntablists were wishing for !

Kudos to Denon to keep motorised platters alive in 2018.
Chino 8:50 PM - 10 August, 2018
This may be what gets me to finally sell my 3900s. I will wait on some owner/user reviews FIRST!! I've learned my lesson about pre-ordering (inMusic Brand)Denon products. I won't be an early adopter (paying beta tester) this time around!

Is Engine Prime stable/reliable enough to use consistently at an average 4-5 hr gig? Is the build quality the same as the Denon MCx8000/Denon SC5000? Is it still thin pieces of metal bolted to a plastic chassis? Do these new motorized players work flawlessly with the Rane 72? I expect NO freezes, crashes or audio dropouts! I have ALOT of questions that need answering before I make a purchase!!
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:40 AM - 12 August, 2018
My SC5000 non motorized does not work with the 72. I've seen another user with the same issue on the official Rane or Denon DJ Facebook page.

InMusic support claim they can't reproduce this with their own units.

I tested the 72 with two different pairs of SC5000 and got the same result, basically unusable. I use the my 5000s with my S9 and the Rane 62 with no issues whatsoever.

The official line is "maybe it's hardware failure", the store has sent it back to InMusic warranty department and waiting for a replacement to be shipped.
R-A-C 9:08 PM - 13 August, 2018
Quote:
Is Engine Prime stable/reliable enough to use consistently at an average 4-5 hr gig?

the sc5000 is a standalone device. engine prime is only used for preparing your tracks.
Dj Ace 5:35 AM - 14 August, 2018
Looks sick!
John Calipari 1:31 PM - 14 August, 2018
Recent purchasers of the SC5000 must be feeling GREAT right about now.
Aptidda 3:56 PM - 14 August, 2018
Quote:
Recent purchasers of the SC5000 must be feeling GREAT right about now.

Meh, just add the new one to the collection! No sweat.
HellNegative1 7:10 PM - 14 August, 2018
I was just about to order the SC5000's too (the 1.2 update further fixes the Rekordbox Sync). Im debating on waiting on the SC5000M.
John Calipari 12:20 PM - 15 August, 2018
Quote:
I was just about to order the SC5000's too (the 1.2 update further fixes the Rekordbox Sync). Im debating on waiting on the SC5000M.

I'd say waiting is a no brainer, if for nothing else, it will drive down the price of the SC5000
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:36 PM - 15 August, 2018
The OG 5000 is already selling £250-300 cheaper on most retailers here.

To anyone considering the OG or M version and primarily a Serato user, I used an app called Denon conversion utility last night to move some crates to USB drive. By far more painless than using the native Serato library refresh baked into Engine Prime.

If you don't plan to go back to using Serato then the native Engine Prime Serato library refresh is enough ie you go through the process once, can take up to 12 hours to complete depending on your library size, i have 63k files and it's an overnight process. So you this once and subsequently just manage you library in Engine Prime.

But if you still want Serato to be your primary library manager it's not ideal. If you add new tracks to Serato and you want those tracks to show in EP you have to do a complete refresh in EP. It purges previous library and builds again from ground up.
Chino 2:11 PM - 15 August, 2018
Quote:

But if you still want Serato to be your primary library manager it's not ideal. If you add new tracks to Serato and you want those tracks to show in EP you have to do a complete refresh in EP. It purges previous library and builds again from ground up.

If I plan on using Serato DJ as my main library manager, would it be better to keep the two libraries separate? I had hoped by now that Engine Prime would be ready for "PRIME" time mobile gig use?! ; (

Btw, I've read & heard good things about that Denon Utility Conversion app. inMusic Brand would definitely benefit from hiring the developer.
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:31 PM - 15 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

If I plan on using Serato DJ as my main library manager, would it be better to keep the two libraries separate? I had hoped by now that Engine Prime would be ready for "PRIME" time mobile gig use?! ; (

Btw, I've read & heard good things about that Denon Utility Conversion app. inMusic Brand would definitely benefit from hiring the developer.

The guy that developed the app is quite passionate about it. Obviously he is filling an obvious good in the current iteration of Engine Prime. For some reason i get the vibe that Denon moderators don't support his enthusiasm but I could be wrong.

With regards to your question you can totally use Engine Prime and the 5000s for your mobile gigs but I think the best way will be to have 2 copies of your Denon dedicated hard drive. And plug one each into each deck. I still don't trust the shared library over Lan.

Carbon Copy Cloner to maintain both hard drives.

I think the Denon conversion utility can do incremental updates by date e.g. say you keep your Serato library separate from engine and in the past week you have added new songs to your Serato and updated cues/loops, you can just set a specific date and do a sync to your Engine Prime disk from that specified date.

My plan is to sync my Serato library (4tb SSD) to another 4TB external drive formatted to ExFat, I will now use that with the 5000s.

I will then update that prime 4tb as necessary. I think it's one way direction, you can't sync back to Serato library things you added to the Engine library e.g. say you made cues on the 5000 players
HellNegative1 5:14 PM - 15 August, 2018
The Engine built in manager took about 4 hours to sync for me. Little less than 1TB, 58,000ish tracks. It seems to vary greatly from system to system tho. I am looking forward to the Engine integration into Rekordbuddy.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:57 PM - 15 August, 2018
Quote:
The Engine built in manager took about 4 hours to sync for me. Little less than 1TB, 58,000ish tracks. It seems to vary greatly from system to system tho. I am looking forward to the Engine integration into Rekordbuddy.

All audio?

My library is mixed...mp4, mp3 etc
HellNegative1 11:36 PM - 15 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

All audio?

My library is mixed...mp4, mp3 etc

All audio, My library is mostly MP3 with a large collection of .wav thrown in there as well.
MixMasterGnl 2:21 PM - 1 September, 2018
I'm "The guy that developed the app" and for the record.
To go from Serato to Engine Prime (on a dedicated USB disk) you'll need:
The DJ Conversion Utility (separate app)
and
The Denon Conversion Utility and the iTunes Rekordbox Collection back up tool (they are bundled together in the DeCU pacakage)

The workflow is:
convert to a Rekordbox.xml from Serato with DJCU
sync the Denon Disk with iR CBT, which will automatically start DeCU

And yes this can be done incremental (like all tracks that were modified in Serato after a given date) or on selected combinations of crates/subcrates.

This is the only way to convert your Beatgrid data into Engine Prime and tracks from non supported prime storate locations (thats what makes iR CBT so important in the proccess).

The beauty of the whole procedure is that you don't need to do any manual labor in Engine Prime and not need to sync a separate drive out of the collection data. And everything is firewall seperated from each other.

The video is at
youtu.be

and I'm here to answer all questions
HellNegative1 10:28 PM - 3 September, 2018
Quote:
I'm "The guy that developed the app" and for the record.
To go from Serato to Engine Prime (on a dedicated USB disk) you'll need:
The DJ Conversion Utility (separate app)
and
The Denon Conversion Utility and the iTunes Rekordbox Collection back up tool (they are bundled together in the DeCU pacakage)

The workflow is:
convert to a Rekordbox.xml from Serato with DJCU
sync the Denon Disk with iR CBT, which will automatically start DeCU

And yes this can be done incremental (like all tracks that were modified in Serato after a given date) or on selected combinations of crates/subcrates.

This is the only way to convert your Beatgrid data into Engine Prime and tracks from non supported prime storate locations (thats what makes iR CBT so important in the proccess).

The beauty of the whole procedure is that you don't need to do any manual labor in Engine Prime and not need to sync a separate drive out of the collection data. And everything is firewall seperated from each other.

The video is at
youtu.be

and I'm here to answer all questions

Question: Will there be a Windows version>?
MixMasterGnl 10:36 PM - 3 September, 2018
No, I'm MacOS only.

However the Engine Prime and Serato collections are identical for both MacOS and Windows. If you have access to a MacOS capable computer and the tracks can be accessed from that computer as well you can run the conversion on MacOS and use the results under Windows.
HellNegative1 10:46 PM - 3 September, 2018
Quote:
No, I'm MacOS only.

However the Engine Prime and Serato collections are identical for both MacOS and Windows. If you have access to a MacOS capable computer and the tracks can be accessed from that computer as well you can run the conversion on MacOS and use the results under Windows.

I do this for Rekordbuddy already via a VM. Hoping they add Engine Prime into the ecosystem soon.
MixMasterGnl 8:47 AM - 4 September, 2018
If Rekordbuddy woks for you via VM, my apps will do that as well. The DJCU / DeCU combo will save you all hassle in Engine Prime as you can see in the video and can be used incrementally instead of EP's all of nothing approach.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:01 AM - 5 October, 2018
"Now Shipping Globally"

Who is going first?

www.denondj.com
Chino 2:38 PM - 8 October, 2018
Quote:
"Now Shipping Globally"

Who is going first?

www.denondj.com

Hmmmmm... I'm VERY tempted but the uncertainty of whether or not it will work RELIABLY with SDJ Pro gives me pause. The 7" platter & unfinished Engine Prime software is disappointing too!!
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 3:24 PM - 8 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
"Now Shipping Globally"

Who is going first?

www.denondj.com

Hmmmmm... I'm VERY tempted but the uncertainty of whether or not it will work RELIABLY with SDJ Pro gives me pause. The 7" platter & unfinished Engine Prime software is disappointing too!!

I'm a big scratcher, and the Denon Prime software contains artifacts and does not process scratches well. I will hold off until the scratching is on point. Once that is up to 100% I will be purchasing a bakers dozen of these to hand out at the homeless shelter/ soup kitchen near my home in Oakland, CA.
J.J. 5:06 PM - 8 October, 2018
I will buy it when...
1. It works flawlessly with SDJ.
2. They need to fix the screen issues with the Rane 72.

No way am I investing into Denon proprietary software, only as a backup.

Serato has been consistent and has saved my data since 2005. Started with the overviews, then cues, then loops, then video, then FX, then Pitch ‘n Time then Flip. Can't say that with Denon DJ Music Manager.

However, Serato dropped the ball with cool features that were taken away such as Ableton The Bridge, Mixtape*, mic record to instantly scratch, better in depth control of FX in Scratch Live, horizontal DAW GUI and Rane hardware with drivers written by Serato,

Quote:
*Mixtape records each channel of audio and depending on the hardware used, records automation such as fader or EQ movements.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:56 PM - 8 October, 2018
Quote:

I'm a big scratcher, and the Denon Prime software contains artifacts and does not process scratches well. I will hold off until the scratching is on point.

Could this be due to the time stretching algorithm?

Elastique V3
HellNegative1 11:20 PM - 9 October, 2018
Quote:
I will buy it when...
1. It works flawlessly with SDJ.
2. They need to fix the screen issues with the Rane 72.

No way am I investing into Denon proprietary software, only as a backup.

Serato has been consistent and has saved my data since 2005. Started with the overviews, then cues, then loops, then video, then FX, then Pitch ‘n Time then Flip. Can't say that with Denon DJ Music Manager.

However, Serato dropped the ball with cool features that were taken away such as Ableton The Bridge, Mixtape*, mic record to instantly scratch, better in depth control of FX in Scratch Live, horizontal DAW GUI and Rane hardware with drivers written by Serato,

Quote:
*Mixtape records each channel of audio and depending on the hardware used, records automation such as fader or EQ movements.

We still have Bridge, it's just called Link now.
dj_soo 12:03 AM - 11 October, 2018
Link is just a proprietary midi out. Nowhere near the integration of Bridge and no Mixtape feature...
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:25 PM - 11 October, 2018
Just did a price check and noticed a yuuuge price drop already in 1 week since launch.

It was £1569 and now £1099.

I also observed retailers stock status are "available to order". Guess they ain't stocking it or just being careful.

The OG SC5000 is £1099 as well.

Thats an aggressive price point.

NXS2 is £1959
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 9:35 PM - 11 October, 2018
Quote:
Just did a price check and noticed a yuuuge price drop already in 1 week since launch.

It was £1569 and now £1099.

I also observed retailers stock status are "available to order". Guess they ain't stocking it or just being careful.

The OG SC5000 is £1099 as well.

Thats an aggressive price point.

NXS2 is £1959

wow that's a good deal, they are still at 1899 same prices as the M's here stateside.
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:00 PM - 11 October, 2018
Stateside is probably where the target market is perhaps they can charge higher so, i doubt if they will move that many units of the 5000M in the UK/Ireland.

Pioneer has this zone on lock down, not only for media players but mixer as well. I have never seen any other product installed in any club except Pioneer.

1099 is a great price.

I remember when the MCX8000 was released it retailed for 899 then six months later they jacked it up to 1099 or so following the release of the MC7000.

History might be repeating itself.
HellNegative1 1:09 AM - 13 October, 2018
Quote:
Stateside is probably where the target market is perhaps they can charge higher so, i doubt if they will move that many units of the 5000M in the UK/Ireland.

Pioneer has this zone on lock down, not only for media players but mixer as well. I have never seen any other product installed in any club except Pioneer.

1099 is a great price.

I remember when the MCX8000 was released it retailed for 899 then six months later they jacked it up to 1099 or so following the release of the MC7000.

History might be repeating itself.

They also have to deal with a higher import tax in the States.
HellNegative1 6:09 PM - 16 October, 2018
They are out in the wild and now confirmed not to work with Serato DJ. From Denon, it seems to be a Serato issue?
DJFocker 7:48 PM - 16 October, 2018
Will anyone from Serato confirm that the SC5000M (motorized) prime player WILL be supported in a future update?
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:12 PM - 16 October, 2018
Quote:
They are out in the wild and now confirmed not to work with Serato DJ. From Denon, it seems to be a Serato issue?

Quote:
Will anyone from Serato confirm that the SC5000M (motorized) prime player WILL be supported in a future update?

I'd say give it time, it's basically the same as the SC5000. Pretty certain Serato support will come at some point.

Hope we don't get a jump in price to reflect the support though.

I'm certain many users already have club kit ready to go. So Serato will probably be dipping into Denons pocket for the licensing fee directly.
J.J. 5:36 AM - 17 October, 2018
Quote:

Where did you read/hear this?

Quote:

This is from DenonDJCorey (In Music Staff) on Sep 24. www.denondjforum.com
Quote:
Hi everyone!

The SC5000M will have the same Serato accessory status as the SC5000.

There are a handful of users that have had trouble using the SC5000 in combination with the Rane Seventy-Two, though it’s unclear if this has anything to do with the screens per se, or just a matter of system performance, USB bandwidth, etc. While most of our experience using the Seventy-Two and SC5000 combination in the office has been successful, these cases are being investigated further.

For the time being, the best partner for a pair of SC5000s is the X1800.

Hope this helps!

This is from jflexuk on Oct 16. www.denondjforum.com
Quote:
I did chat to someone at serato Dj today. They told me it will be coming out soon. Let’s see
HellNegative1 5:36 PM - 17 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Where did you read/hear this?

Quote:

This is from DenonDJCorey (In Music Staff) on Sep 24. www.denondjforum.com
Quote:
Hi everyone!

The SC5000M will have the same Serato accessory status as the SC5000.

There are a handful of users that have had trouble using the SC5000 in combination with the Rane Seventy-Two, though it’s unclear if this has anything to do with the screens per se, or just a matter of system performance, USB bandwidth, etc. While most of our experience using the Seventy-Two and SC5000 combination in the office has been successful, these cases are being investigated further.

For the time being, the best partner for a pair of SC5000s is the X1800.

Hope this helps!

This is from jflexuk on Oct 16. www.denondjforum.com
Quote:
I did chat to someone at serato Dj today. They told me it will be coming out soon. Let’s see

It looks like the reply on the post in the Denon forum has since been deleted.
Djkom 9:03 PM - 17 October, 2018
Good news almost anywhere in Europe (especially in France), sc5000 and sc5000m(pre orders) are sold at 1299€ !!!

www.sonovente.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:33 PM - 17 October, 2018
Quote:
Good news almost anywhere in Europe (especially in France), sc5000 and sc5000m(pre orders) are sold at 1299€ !!!

www.sonovente.com

My local dealer in Ireland is happy to match Thomann's 1299 euros.

I tested them today, took a bit to get used to as I have never used motorised platters before.

If i can sell my SC5000 locally i will buy it. Otherwise i may have to deal with an offshore dealer for a part exchange deal who i use for trade-in transactions.

I will prefer to buy locally though for after sales support.
Djkom 7:24 PM - 19 November, 2018
www.instagram.com

7" custom vinyl for the sc5000ms with a smaller spindle

😍😍😍

Just wondering how a 10" can look like on it...
Chino 1:46 AM - 20 November, 2018
Quote:
www.instagram.com

7" custom vinyl for the sc5000ms with a smaller spindle

😍😍😍

Just wondering how a 10" can look like on it...

DOPE! I definitely would prefer the smaller spindle. I wonder how the feel would be with a slightly larger 9" custom vinyl on it?
Chino 2:11 AM - 20 November, 2018
Based on that INSTAGRAM pic & what I saw at the DJ Expo...

I wonder if I could retro fit the Denon 3900 platter onto the sc5000M? Hmmm, the vinyl on the sc5000Ms may only be 7" but the actual metal platter itself may be the same size as the ones on the Denon sc3900s. I imagine the motor is very similar in size/specs as well...
Djkom 3:13 PM - 21 November, 2018
@Chino, I have a gift for you

www.instagram.com
Chino 5:42 PM - 21 November, 2018
Quote:
@Chino, I have a gift for you

www.instagram.com

NICE!! I do wish Denon had released the sc5000M with the same size platter as the Denon sc3900s.

I'm waiting until NAMM 2019 to see if Rane or Numark releases a 9" or 10" mobile friendly motorized platter controller/media player. If not then I'll probably look into the Technics SLDZ MK2 mod.
Djkom 7:00 PM - 21 November, 2018
A 9" vs 7" quick video

www.instagram.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:15 PM - 21 November, 2018
Quote:
A 9" vs 7" quick video

www.instagram.com

€599 😳
dj_soo 9:23 PM - 21 November, 2018
the vinyl plate that's bigger than the platter just looks so wrong to me
Djkom 9:25 PM - 21 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
A 9" vs 7" quick video

www.instagram.com

€599 😳

Nope, it's 1169€ for the black friday week
Djkom 9:28 PM - 21 November, 2018
Quote:

In fact, the 9" vinyl is larger than the platter BUT it has the exact same size of the outter led ring so I guess with some special platter mod it is possible to have a perfect sized player without altering the other controls !
dj_soo 9:30 PM - 21 November, 2018
I'm just talking about aesthetics
Djkom 9:53 PM - 21 November, 2018
I mean "and aesthetic too"
HellNegative1 10:01 PM - 21 November, 2018
Quote:

I agree. A modified platter to accept the 9" would be pretty dope tho. Either way, Ive gotten used to 7's since I got into modding pt-01's.
Djkom 9:41 PM - 22 November, 2018
www.instagram.com

With 9" clear vinyl and orginal sc3900 spindle, the result is DOPE !!!
Quite aesthetic and no sticker drift !
The good chance is the little hole on the sc3900 spindle holds tight the center spindle of the sc5000m platter.
HellNegative1 9:55 PM - 23 November, 2018
Quote:
www.instagram.com

With 9" clear vinyl and orginal sc3900 spindle, the result is DOPE !!!
Quite aesthetic and no sticker drift !
The good chance is the little hole on the sc3900 spindle holds tight the center spindle of the sc5000m platter.

That does look sick af
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 4:39 PM - 26 November, 2018
just grabbed two (2) SC5000M's over the weekend from World of Stereo. Must say, I am liking not having to connect my iMac Pro when playing!
Djkom 5:19 PM - 26 November, 2018
Quote:
just grabbed two (2) SC5000M's over the weekend from World of Stereo. Must say, I am liking not having to connect my iMac Pro when playing!

This is it !!! Making some quick mix session like before with my vinyls, just turn on the decks and let's go !
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 5:23 PM - 26 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

This is it !!! Making some quick mix session like before with my vinyls, just turn on the decks and let's go !

Amen to that my dark skinned African brotha!
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:03 AM - 27 November, 2018
I have my entire Serato library added to Prime as well. Previously only exported a few tracks to a smaller drive.

The BPM algorithm of Engine Prime is still infantile giving wrong readings with a good chunk of tracks.

If they improve on that...it's definitely laptop free future.
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:38 PM - 13 December, 2018
Appears the 72 and SC5000 now works together according to someone on the Facebook.

m.facebook.com

Neither Serato nor Rane said anything about it in the release notes of their latest updates.

I have since traded in for the 5000M which is not supported as at yet.
popnwave 11:44 PM - 3 January, 2019
On a side note, has the waveform display when using them as HID devices improved?
popnwave 11:44 PM - 3 January, 2019
(On the OG SC5000s that is)
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:29 AM - 4 January, 2019
Quote:
On a side note, has the waveform display when using them as HID devices improved?

Quote:
(On the OG SC5000s that is)

I don't believe so. I swapped mine for the Ms just after the last firmware update.

Still the overview wave form.
Matt Sherman 12:57 AM - 4 January, 2019
I just wish they were able to make it where you can nudge the pitch by grabbing the spindle like you do on a turntable.
nymlb4 8:58 AM - 3 February, 2019
Any word on Denon Sc5000m support?
Mikecola 7:16 PM - 3 February, 2019
I'm also inquiring about support for the SC5000M...And please don't use the word soon as my version of soon means tomorrow afternoon whereas your definition of soon may mean next October. Give us a little more specific info...
DjSyndic8 9:09 PM - 3 February, 2019
Quote:
I'm also inquiring about support for the SC5000M...And please don't use the word soon as my version of soon means tomorrow afternoon whereas your definition of soon may mean next October. Give us a little more specific info...

Soon bro😂😂
nymlb4 3:45 AM - 2 March, 2019
I spoke with Denon about the SC500M and they spoke to Serato. They said that it will be added, however that could be a year from now. They would not give even the slightest details of how long.
djgoldberg 10:02 AM - 4 March, 2019
...a year from now!! oh my god. Serato, please hurry up. I would combine the SC5000M with a new Xone 96. This mixer has not Serato-Support at this time. But i hope you can handle both: Please support the SC 5000 M + Xone 96....
HellNegative1 10:44 PM - 5 March, 2019
Quote:
...a year from now!! oh my god. Serato, please hurry up. I would combine the SC5000M with a new Xone 96. This mixer has not Serato-Support at this time. But i hope you can handle both: Please support the SC 5000 M + Xone 96....

If Serato supported the 96, Id be a super duper happy camper. Otherwise, you can use 3 SC5000's with the 6 channels ont he 96.
dj_soo 10:20 AM - 29 March, 2019
Received a 5000M for a review I'm working on. I've had it for 2 days and honestly, the majority of those two days has been spent struggling with Engine. What a piece of shit software - they really need to improve that and quickly.

Hardware is dope tho. Pretty much the closest to a full controller and laptop in terms of features in a standalone device. Hope they put some of the new features announced in the Prime 4 in the older 5000Ms cause I do find myself missing key shifting a lot.

7" platter is ok - I find myself missing the 9" platter on my SC3900s tho - it's just different enough that there's definitely some adjustment to deal with. I actually find myself preferring the low torque setting as the smaller platter doesn't seem to need the higher torque you'd find on something like a super oem or Twelve. Accuracy is way better than my 3900 tho and I haven't seen any sticker drift like I get on my 3900s. I'm usually not a fan of platters that don't have the dots, but the design of the edge of the platter is really nice with that little protruding edge under the ridges - it's the same as the VL12 and it's the first non-dotted platter I've really dug.

I only have the one and it's definitely a challenge keeping track of which side is using the controls, but I'm sure a few more hours under my belt will help.

Serato support would be dope for these, but I'm still holding out hope for a Rane Nine or something.
HellNegative1 4:19 PM - 29 March, 2019
Quote:
Received a 5000M for a review I'm working on. I've had it for 2 days and honestly, the majority of those two days has been spent struggling with Engine. What a piece of shit software - they really need to improve that and quickly.

Hardware is dope tho. Pretty much the closest to a full controller and laptop in terms of features in a standalone device. Hope they put some of the new features announced in the Prime 4 in the older 5000Ms cause I do find myself missing key shifting a lot.

7" platter is ok - I find myself missing the 9" platter on my SC3900s tho - it's just different enough that there's definitely some adjustment to deal with. I actually find myself preferring the low torque setting as the smaller platter doesn't seem to need the higher torque you'd find on something like a super oem or Twelve. Accuracy is way better than my 3900 tho and I haven't seen any sticker drift like I get on my 3900s. I'm usually not a fan of platters that don't have the dots, but the design of the edge of the platter is really nice with that little protruding edge under the ridges - it's the same as the VL12 and it's the first non-dotted platter I've really dug.

I only have the one and it's definitely a challenge keeping track of which side is using the controls, but I'm sure a few more hours under my belt will help.

Serato support would be dope for these, but I'm still holding out hope for a Rane Nine or something.

What issues are you having with Engine? Which OS?
dj_soo 5:56 PM - 29 March, 2019
Nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with design.

it's just missing way too much to be considered competitive at this point. You can get shit done, but it lacks in some basic features for track management - little things like the lack of batch tag editing, smart crates, easy grid adjustment.

The analysis is spotty as all hell where if your tracks even have a hint of syncopation, there's a chance it's just going to get it wildly wrong - moreso than any of the other software I've tried.
And due to the lack of user friendly grid editing, makes fixing things a pain and just super-slow. There's no easy grid anchor setting so you have slowly slide the markers around, and there's no grid expansion or compression other than a ridiculously slot bpm slider (that adusts at .001 resolution).

While I don't use grids to mix, it's useful for features like looping and beatjump so having to go into manually fix each wrong track is a pain in the ass.

Some better context sensitive menus would be nice too (which Serato also desperately needs).
HellNegative1 11:10 PM - 29 March, 2019
Quote:
Nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with design.

it's just missing way too much to be considered competitive at this point. You can get shit done, but it lacks in some basic features for track management - little things like the lack of batch tag editing, smart crates, easy grid adjustment.

The analysis is spotty as all hell where if your tracks even have a hint of syncopation, there's a chance it's just going to get it wildly wrong - moreso than any of the other software I've tried.
And due to the lack of user friendly grid editing, makes fixing things a pain and just super-slow. There's no easy grid anchor setting so you have slowly slide the markers around, and there's no grid expansion or compression other than a ridiculously slot bpm slider (that adusts at .001 resolution).

While I don't use grids to mix, it's useful for features like looping and beatjump so having to go into manually fix each wrong track is a pain in the ass.

Some better context sensitive menus would be nice too (which Serato also desperately needs).

Do me a favor and throw this down in the Denon forums por favor.

I play DNB and Jungle. The BPM/Grid analysis is only off on about 1 out of every 25 tracks after a batch analyze. I have found that adjusting beat grids is way easier on the players than in the software.

I do agree that adjusting the bpm when fixing the grid is a pita if you dont know the BPM of the track already or are not consistent on beat tapping. I've not had an issue with it, but I also fingerdrum constantly, so I am way outside of the norm.
dj_soo 5:04 AM - 2 April, 2019
They need an easy stretch/compress control using the platters like most controllers have.

I have linked up the rest of the Prime gear for it so I now have two the Ms and the x1800 for the next week at least to test out.

I had 5 gigs this last weekend and used the 5000Ms for every one - about 20 hours of DJing.

I did 2 gigs with a single and the 72, 2 gigs with a pair and the 72, and one with the x1800.

Would be really dope if you could plug the 5000Ms into the 72 USB ports and use the 72 controls to control the players - or at the very least sync up the bpms of playing tracks with the effects (the tapping detection on the 72 is not good).

The x1800 I'm a little meh on, but I generally don't like the standard 4-channel mixer layout that everyone seems to do now - especially the knob to control effects assignment. The color coding is cool, but not fully necessary and the LED ring changing colors depending on fader position gets a little distracting when scratching. Good sounding mixer tho. Nice, warm, clean sound. Nice to see a crossfader cut adjustment tho (something the pioneer 900s desperately need), but it's not quite tight enough for my liking.

There are a few things I found myself missing feature-wise: key shifting (hopefully they get it with the next update), Flip, and being able to search within playlists as well. It also doesn't seem like the search engine covers all the ID3 tags as searching within the genre tags is a big part of my process and the search doesn't detect things within the genre tags.

Overall tho, I like the player - it would be great as a serato controller if it ever gets the support, but if I was looking into a standalone player, the 5000M is probably going to be the only option I'd choose.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:56 AM - 2 April, 2019
Quote:
They need an easy stretch/compress control using the platters like most controllers have.

For grid n bpm adjust right?

Quote:
I had 5 gigs this last weekend and used the 5000Ms for every one - about 20 hours of DJing.

How did it perform with your library? Did it detect most BPM correctly?
dj_soo 3:31 AM - 3 April, 2019
Quote:
For grid n bpm adjust right?

Yup, you can do this on most Pioneer controllers on both Serato and Rekordbox and a few other controllers like the Roland ones - hey have a button for slipping grids and another for streting and compressing. Like the grid slipping function on the 5000s but also to stretch and compress the grids.

[quote[How did it perform with your library? Did it detect most BPM correctly?

I fixed all the wrong ones manually before playing on Engine so no problems. Keys are a little all over the place tho - some accurate, some wildly wrong. Only sporting a 16 gig drive right now, but that's enough to fit about 1300 tracks.
Hollywood Frank 1:27 PM - 3 April, 2019
Purchased my Denon SC5000M's and X1800 prime but can't use my Serato with my SC5000M's yet. Come on Serato, help us, sync it.
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:47 PM - 3 April, 2019
Quote:
Yup, you can do this on most Pioneer controllers on both Serato and Rekordbox and a few other controllers like the Roland ones - hey have a button for slipping grids and another for streting and compressing. Like the grid slipping function on the 5000s but also to stretch and compress the grids

Even the Prime 4 is the same in the videos watched. Just basic sliding no compress or expand to correct wrong bpm values

I raised this on their forums.

The Denon MCX8000 had the proper grid/bpm adjust button. How they decide to omit it in the newer gear workflow is mind boggling.

Hopefully they find a way to code it in with a long press + button combo.

Another thing that I dislike is the analysis range. If you choose low values all 128bpm gets analysed at half time and if you choose a high range, low bpm hip hop is analysed at double time.
dj_soo 10:01 PM - 3 April, 2019
put this together last night:

www.facebook.com

It's a fun setup - not sure if standalone is really for me, but this is the closest to a full controller setup in terms of features that you're going to find until maybe the Prime 4 comes out - but with the option for spinning platters.

Still not feeling the 7" platter as much as a larger one. A 9 or 10 inch platter would probably be preferred for me (my sc3900s have 9" platters and they feel good, but aren't anywhere near as accurate as these ones).
Edwin Altamirano VDJ 1:19 PM - 19 June, 2019
When will be support serato dj to Denon SC5000M
Here we really need because here are video djs and need serato dj

Thanks hope you can help us soon
I know SC5000 have support now it’s the same but with motorized platters

Thanks

Att:

Edwin Altamirano
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:03 PM - 19 June, 2019
Quote:
It's a fun setup - not sure if standalone is really for me, but this is the closest to a full controller setup in terms of features that you're going to find until maybe the Prime 4 comes out - but with the option for spinning platters.

After owning the units for close to 2 years, I decided to do a standalone mix.

Standalone is so much hassle especially without PC connect options.

You need to create a set list, bounce to USB, then set up audacity to record.

Its absolutely possible to do a hip hop quick mixing with the set up...provided your grids are tight and use sync...(an alternative to lining up waveform which most quick mixing djs do I presume)
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:03 PM - 19 June, 2019
Quote:

After owning the units for close to 2 years, I decided to do a standalone mix.

Standalone is so much hassle especially without PC connect options.

You need to create a set list, bounce to USB, then set up audacity to record.

Its absolutely possible to do a hip hop quick mixing with the set up...provided your grids are tight and use sync...(an alternative to lining up waveform which most quick mixing djs do I presume)
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:05 PM - 19 June, 2019
Quote:
When will be support serato dj to Denon SC5000M
Here we really need because here are video djs and need serato dj

Waiting as well.

Denon promised this.

I'm going to guess they may bring it in with the Prime 4 Serato support ...who knows.
Hollywood Frank 12:53 AM - 12 November, 2019
I have Serato DJ Pro, SC500M and X1800 and I can't get it to work. I already upgraded my players to 1.1.1. and I'm not sure if I upgraded my Mixer. I need help.
Hollywood Frank 12:57 AM - 12 November, 2019
I also have trouble locating a video online for the proper connections for my X1800 and SC5000M in order to use Serato DJ Pro
DaSpondent 4:58 AM - 12 November, 2019
Try plugging the X1800 and both SC5000ms directly into your laptop. I saw that on someone’s DJ website. DDJT I think.🤷🏿‍♂️
DaSpondent 5:23 AM - 12 November, 2019
You also have to download and install the latest Serato DJ Pro update. It’s the first version to support Serato on the SC5000Ms.
djgoldberg 7:16 AM - 12 November, 2019
Hi Hollywood Frank,

you have to install the new firmware v1.3.2 on the SC5000M, then you have to install the firmware v1.2 on the X1800 an the new serato dj pro version 2.3.1.

After upgrading the firmware you have to connect the mixer and both SC5000Ms via USB. Your Laptop needs three USB-Ports or a usb-hub.

For more information please check the user guide on denondj.com

Greetings from another Denon Prime User
Franz
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:43 AM - 12 November, 2019
Quote:
Hi Hollywood Frank,

you have to install the new firmware v1.3.2 on the SC5000M, then you have to install the firmware v1.2 on the X1800 an the new serato dj pro version 2.3.1.

After upgrading the firmware you have to connect the mixer and both SC5000Ms via USB. Your Laptop needs three USB-Ports or a usb-hub.

For more information please check the user guide on denondj.com

Greetings from another Denon Prime User
Franz

And you need a Serato DJ License as well.

Club kit or summat
Hollywood Frank 4:33 PM - 12 November, 2019
I'm working on it, thanx fellas! I do have the Serato DJ Pro kit.
Hollywood Frank 12:23 PM - 15 November, 2019
I got the Denon SC5000M and X1800 to work with Serato DJ Pro
I linked both Players to the Mixer.
I used 4 RCA cables and connected each player to the Mixer.
Then I connected each player through the USB out to a USB Hub.
Then I connected the Mixer from port 1 USB to the same Hub.
Then I connected the Hub to my MacBook Pro.
Wala! it works. The Serato DJ Pro (Laptop) controls both players and I don't have to stop a platter in order to scroll on the touch screen. Only one problem, as the record is counting down and I touched the screen to switch the count in the other direction it switches the other players time in the opposite direction. There must be a solution. Thank you for your help fellas and I'm glad to help you.
Hollywood Frank 12:35 PM - 15 November, 2019
I forgot. On the mixer, you must set the inputs on USB for the Players to work.
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:52 PM - 15 November, 2019
Quote:
Only one problem, as the record is counting down and I touched the screen to switch the count in the other direction it switches the other players time in the opposite direction.

Both players screen work as one by design. Eg if you are scrolling on Player 1 you will see Player 2 screen scrolling

It’s advisable to connect the X1800 directly to the Mac if you can. Of course you may not have the luxury of spare USB ports so you have no option but to use a USB hub.

But then again you could get the USB hub with charging ability, they tend to run hot though.
Edwin Altamirano VDJ 5:38 PM - 21 January, 2020
Hello Serato first thanks for your support SC5000M ....works great even i connect usb all in 1 SC5000M and only 1 USB cable to My Macbook pro and works great NO need HUB ..... My question is ...... I really will like screens work on serato like work on Standalone Unit ... Imean Big Waveforms on all Screen and all characteristics .......,
I am very happy with the work but only need this change please ......

thanks
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:56 PM - 15 October, 2021
The 5000m are $699 a pop

Worth a punt

www.americanmusical.com
DJ Delaine 6:56 PM - 26 October, 2021
Quote:
The 5000m are $699 a pop

Worth a punt

Bought two a few weeks ago and love them!

The waveforms when on Serato are horrible. I think this was done intentionally by Denon to push DJs to use the players without Serato.
HellNegative1 7:05 PM - 26 October, 2021
Quote:
Quote:
The 5000m are $699 a pop

Worth a punt

The waveforms when on Serato are horrible. I think this was done intentionally by Denon to push DJs to use the players without Serato.

The Serato Waveforms are actually on the Serato Team. They updated the Serato Waveforms on the 6000's. Denon has already confirmed it is Serato's choice to no longer update SerstoDJ for the 5000's.
DJ Delaine 10:34 PM - 26 October, 2021
Quote:
The Serato Waveforms are actually on the Serato Team. They updated the Serato Waveforms on the 6000's. Denon has already confirmed it is Serato's choice to no longer update SerstoDJ for the 5000's.

Serato must have made the choice to not update the waveforms on Denon DJ's Prime 4 also. The waveforms are equally bad.
dj_soo 9:03 AM - 28 October, 2021
Quote:
Quote:
The 5000m are $699 a pop

Worth a punt

check out VDJ's integration - puts Serato to shame honestly.
HellNegative1 5:09 PM - 28 October, 2021
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The 5000m are $699 a pop

Worth a punt

I concur, with the Rane Seventy Two as well.
DJ Delaine 4:33 PM - 29 October, 2021
Quote:

VDJ also incorporated the touchscreen better.
dj_soo 4:58 PM - 29 October, 2021
Quote:
Quote:

VDJ also incorporated the touchscreen better.

You mean like actually supporting it?
DJ Delaine 6:55 PM - 29 October, 2021
Yes DJ_Soo,
I think VDJ's support of the SC's touchscreen is far better than Serato's support.
dj_soo 7:19 PM - 29 October, 2021
yea, i was more throwing shade at serato because they basically don't support touchscreen at all.
DJ Delaine 8:00 PM - 29 October, 2021
LOL