DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best Serato compatible alternative to DDJ 1000...?

DJ Nostalgia 11:58 AM - 26 May, 2018
I was really interested in Pioneer's DDJ 1000 controller, until I read it is tied to their own Recordbox software (bad move from Pioneer!)...

So, my question is - and I know it is highly subjective - what's the best Serato DJ Pro compatible alternative to the DDJ 1000, for around the same money? Industry-wide pricing for the DDJ 1000 seems to be 1,059GBP at the moment.
Gio Alex 4:48 PM - 26 May, 2018
Does the alternative to be Pioneer? Also, I don't necessarily think it's a bad move on their part. At the end of the day they have to support their own software.

If we're talking Pioneer controllers the DDJ-SZ/SZ2 would be the closest I guess. Otherwise, there's the Denon DJ MCX8000. It's still hard to say though without knowing the exact features you're looking for.
dj_soo 5:43 PM - 27 May, 2018
Nothing. The 1000 is unique and has cdj2000 style platters, a magvel crossfader, and djm style effects.

Everything else is going to be some variation of the sx in layout and controls.

It's a shame because the 1000 is absolutely awesome as a piece of hardware. Rekordbox performance mode, not so much.
Aptidda 6:41 PM - 29 May, 2018
Rane 72 and 12's. You cant lose.
Just Mike 11:37 PM - 26 June, 2018
Quote:
Nothing. The 1000 is unique and has cdj2000 style platters, a magvel crossfader, and djm style effects.

Everything else is going to be some variation of the sx in layout and controls.

It's a shame because the 1000 is absolutely awesome as a piece of hardware. Rekordbox performance mode, not so much.



+1
RR437T 3:21 AM - 28 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Nothing. The 1000 is unique and has cdj2000 style platters, a magvel crossfader, and djm style effects.

Everything else is going to be some variation of the sx in layout and controls.

It's a shame because the 1000 is absolutely awesome as a piece of hardware. Rekordbox performance mode, not so much.



+1


If you already have a Serato enabled controller/mixer, or are willing to buy a cheap one, you can use it to unlock Serato. Once unlocked, you could get a ddj 1000 and map all the functions to it. Its not the cleanest solution, but if you really want a 1000, you should be able to make it work.
lofty 2:27 PM - 28 June, 2018
Quote:


It's a shame because the 1000 is absolutely awesome as a piece of hardware. Rekordbox performance mode, not so much.


hey Soo,
What issues are you having with RB?
I've jumped over to the DDJ 1000 and after a little tweaking RB the workflow is very fluid.

a few things I've done

- biggest issue was mixed media playlists ( mp4 and mp3 ) - there is a very easy way to allow this - just load mp4 in an older version and then when you open the new version you have mixed playlists! ( i posted a vid of this on youtube )

- I deleted ALL keyboard shortcuts and added back the few I like to use,

- also made a "prepare crate" (cmd P ) and "requests crate" (cmd R ) - using the playlist shortcuts - it works GREAT! as the tracks don't disappear from the prepare list when you load to a deck

- also I find the playlist pallets amazing when playing live - I just dump several lists I'm working out of for the set and it's really easy to jump a few lists

- also the related tracks is a really fun feature - I keep finding songs I have but totally forgot about.

for me , the first few events after changing over took a little looking and remembering where things are but after that, it's all second nature. it's like in the past when you show up at a club and they have a mixer you haven't been on in a while - it's like working in a djm 1 night and a rane the next. it takes a minute but it all works

Cheers
thorissr 3:29 PM - 28 June, 2018
I use RB DJ quite frequently with the DDJ RZX, DDJ 1000, and S9 (DVS) and it has made great strides in regards to stability and features. The only drawback I’ve experienced is that depending on what hardware you use with it, you get mixed results. Example I can run RBDJ without a hitch with my S9 setup and DDJ RZX but my DDJ 1000 presents some issues. I’m hoping it’s a firmware tweak that’ll eventually fix it.

I can say this....moving back and forth between RBDJ and Serato is more seamless than I initially thought. Being that RBDJ is mimicking Serato makes it easier. Now moving Traktor and others may present its problems.

Plus moving my library over to RBDJ made me hesitate for a while, but Rekkrdbuddy fixed that concern. Every time I add music to Serato and after analyzing and hot cueing, I simply run Rekordbuddy and within a minute all metadata transfers over to RBDJ. My Serato and RBDJ folder structure are identical, and this saved me countless hours that’s usually involved when migrating your music library over to another application.
Garry F 9:17 PM - 13 August, 2018
serato and ddj1000 would be the perfect combo
DjWoody 5:04 PM - 16 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
It's a shame because the 1000 is absolutely awesome as a piece of hardware. Rekordbox performance mode, not so much.


hey Soo,
What issues are you having with RB?
I've jumped over to the DDJ 1000 and after a little tweaking RB the workflow is very fluid.

a few things I've done

- biggest issue was mixed media playlists ( mp4 and mp3 ) - there is a very easy way to allow this - just load mp4 in an older version and then when you open the new version you have mixed playlists! ( i posted a vid of this on youtube )

- I deleted ALL keyboard shortcuts and added back the few I like to use,

- also made a "prepare crate" (cmd P ) and "requests crate" (cmd R ) - using the playlist shortcuts - it works GREAT! as the tracks don't disappear from the prepare list when you load to a deck

- also I find the playlist pallets amazing when playing live - I just dump several lists I'm working out of for the set and it's really easy to jump a few lists

- also the related tracks is a really fun feature - I keep finding songs I have but totally forgot about.

for me , the first few events after changing over took a little looking and remembering where things are but after that, it's all second nature. it's like in the past when you show up at a club and they have a mixer you haven't been on in a while - it's like working in a djm 1 night and a rane the next. it takes a minute but it all works

Cheers


Thanks for this post. After 14 years of heavy use, my OG CDJ's broke. I've been looking at the DDJ 1000 but since I've never used Rekordbox I've been hesitant. This post definitely helped me and it doesn't seem like a deal breaker. What other issues do you have with the 1000? How's the sound quality?
lofty 12:22 PM - 17 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's a shame because the 1000 is absolutely awesome as a piece of hardware. Rekordbox performance mode, not so much.


hey Soo,
What issues are you having with RB?
I've jumped over to the DDJ 1000 and after a little tweaking RB the workflow is very fluid.

a few things I've done

- biggest issue was mixed media playlists ( mp4 and mp3 ) - there is a very easy way to allow this - just load mp4 in an older version and then when you open the new version you have mixed playlists! ( i posted a vid of this on youtube )

- I deleted ALL keyboard shortcuts and added back the few I like to use,

- also made a "prepare crate" (cmd P ) and "requests crate" (cmd R ) - using the playlist shortcuts - it works GREAT! as the tracks don't disappear from the prepare list when you load to a deck

- also I find the playlist pallets amazing when playing live - I just dump several lists I'm working out of for the set and it's really easy to jump a few lists

- also the related tracks is a really fun feature - I keep finding songs I have but totally forgot about.

for me , the first few events after changing over took a little looking and remembering where things are but after that, it's all second nature. it's like in the past when you show up at a club and they have a mixer you haven't been on in a while - it's like working in a djm 1 night and a rane the next. it takes a minute but it all works

Cheers


Thanks for this post. After 14 years of heavy use, my OG CDJ's broke. I've been looking at the DDJ 1000 but since I've never used Rekordbox I've been hesitant. This post definitely helped me and it doesn't seem like a deal breaker. What other issues do you have with the 1000? How's the sound quality?


The only other issue I had was a random crash on 5.3 - mind you I'm running a 2012 MBpro - that's also my full time laptop for work - it's got lots of hours of use ( over 9000 hours on the current logic board )
on RB 5.1 - it was pretty much rock solid

as for sound quality - I like it better than my old SX2
DjWoody 5:53 PM - 17 August, 2018
Thx... Last night I got a chance to mess around with Rekordbox for about 30 min on a DDJ SR. Mind you, I've never used it in my life before and to me, TBH, it was 2nd nature. Everything I was doing felt right at home like if I was using Serato. Even the shortcuts were the same. I am a very techy person, so learning new software is not an issue to me.

Off course there are some differences, but for the major functions, I had no issue with and all the major functionalities are there. What I did have an issue with, is that my mind kept thinking I was using CDJ's, since I was using a DDJ SR, the layouts and some of the functions are completely different. Specially the way you do loops. That is a huge reason why I'm attracted to the DDJ 1000 - because of the similar layout to my club set ups.
DJ Merci 2:31 PM - 1 December, 2018
Bought the DDJ-1000 its a great machine, just have to get use to rekordbox
pdidy 10:34 PM - 3 December, 2018
The DDJ-1000 is so badass it has no alternative. If it were compatible with Serato it would already be the New standard and KING of controllers. But since it's not compatible with Serato, the DDJ-SX2-3 will remain the official KING of controllers.

I think most dj's have decided that NO FUCKS will be given to the DDJ-1000 until its Serato compatible.
Garry F 10:38 PM - 3 December, 2018
Parked my ddj1000 and gone back to DDJ-SR till it’s serato compatible
Culprit 11:15 PM - 3 December, 2018
Thats the reality of it. The DDJ-1000 would be the king if it were serato compatible. I had four friends of mine hmu because they couldn't get the DDJ-1000 to work and i sent they asses back to Guitar Center and return the units. The rest hit me up before going and making the mistake. I have one client of mine who actually made the switch to Rekordbox because he liked the controller and has not returned to Serato since the controller came out.
dj_soo 11:34 PM - 3 December, 2018
DDJ-1000 is the best all in one controller on the market in pure hardware terms imo. Between the platters, the hardware fx, and the crossfader, nothing comes close to the feel and featureset.

Too bad it's Rekordbox only. I hate Rekordbox about as much as I love the actual controller.
deejmar 2:32 PM - 17 December, 2018
Hola, amigos

Alguien sabe si en algún futuro cercano saldrá para usarlo con serato, o definitivamente no saldrá. He visto que es una excelente maquina, espero que pueda responder alguien que trabaje para la compañia serato, ya que quisiera adquirirla pero siempre y cuando salga para serato en un futuro no muy lejano

Saludos
SELECT 7:42 PM - 17 December, 2018
Quote:
The DDJ-1000 is so badass it has no alternative. If it were compatible with Serato it would already be the New standard and KING of controllers. But since it's not compatible with Serato, the DDJ-SX2-3 will remain the official KING of controllers.

I think most dj's have decided that NO FUCKS will be given to the DDJ-1000 until its Serato compatible.


Exactly, I would have sold it all for this controller.
Mr. Goodkat 8:44 PM - 17 December, 2018
a ddj sx2-3 would never deserve the title 'the king' of anything.

its ok, it works, but 'king', nah
DJ Intrigue 12:15 AM - 19 December, 2018
we all very WELL know who the REAL KING around here is. The RANE 72!
SELECT 3:37 PM - 19 December, 2018
Quote:
we all very WELL know who the REAL KING around here is. The RANE 72!


Sold mine after a months use. Loops were placed incorrectly into a bank and unusable in real time. Now they fixed it by adding it to the waveform screen. Still for a 2000.00 mixer that was a huge oversight. Every mixer and controller on the planet has the loops section separate from the cue points for a reason. The sound was way to robust and unappealing for me. Tons of feedback from mics on stage. Never a problem with the 62. The layout is ehh for me. 99% of people buying it only use the echo and cue points basically wasting there money to do the exact same thing this did with their old mixer.
DJ Intrigue 4:14 PM - 19 December, 2018
Pockets must have been hurting after the purchase eh?

So you basically just said the only issue you had with the mixer was updated recently...

Tons of feedback on mics? Well that is most certainly user error.

Now the real question is, what did you "go back" to using? Wait..... let me guess, its gotta be the Pioneer DJM S3 LMAO!
Logisticalstyles 4:24 PM - 19 December, 2018
Quote:
the DDJ-SX2-3 will remain the official KING of controllers.


What about the SZ2?
SELECT 5:08 PM - 19 December, 2018
Quote:
Pockets must have been hurting after the purchase eh?

So you basically just said the only issue you had with the mixer was updated recently...

Tons of feedback on mics? Well that is most certainly user error.

Now the real question is, what did you "go back" to using? Wait..... let me guess, its gotta be the Pioneer DJM S3 LMAO!


Nope. Sold for more that I bought it for LMAO!!!!!

The loop update is cool, but not worth it for a 2000.00 mixer.

Nope, I have tons of experience using mics, spent a summer working for boards for a band.

LMAO you sound so silly and immature. I have a 62 and currently debating whether or not to get an S9, SX3 or booth.

There is nothing in your profile. Please show yourself, I'm curious to see what your about.
SELECT 5:19 PM - 19 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
the DDJ-SX2-3 will remain the official KING of controllers.


What about the SZ2?


Its an older model and pretty big & heavy by today's standards for controllers. The SX3 is basically the same thing, but with a better layout IMO, lighter, smaller and more user friendly. I also like the fact of having 3 mics. While the jog wheels might be bigger and have the usual CDJ look they both function same. I used it for a while and didn't like it. I still am not a fan of that touch sensitive jog wheel. I prefer the standard CDJ feel hence why I wish they would make a DDJ 1000 for Serato.
Mr. Goodkat 6:16 PM - 19 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Pockets must have been hurting after the purchase eh?

So you basically just said the only issue you had with the mixer was updated recently...

Tons of feedback on mics? Well that is most certainly user error.

Now the real question is, what did you "go back" to using? Wait..... let me guess, its gotta be the Pioneer DJM S3 LMAO!


Nope. Sold for more that I bought it for LMAO!!!!!

The loop update is cool, but not worth it for a 2000.00 mixer.

Nope, I have tons of experience using mics, spent a summer working for boards for a band.

LMAO you sound so silly and immature. I have a 62 and currently debating whether or not to get an S9, SX3 or booth.

There is nothing in your profile. Please show yourself, I'm curious to see what your about.



its aptidda the troll that keeps getting banned but has no life so he trolls here.

this is 3-4th screen name, its sad.
Gio Alex 6:36 PM - 19 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
the DDJ-SX2-3 will remain the official KING of controllers.


What about the SZ2?



The SZ2 is massive! I kinda of look at it like a controller installation. It's like 2 cdjs and djm glued together lol
JDforKing 7:19 PM - 19 December, 2018
I'm still torn....I'd like to get the pioneer ddi sx3 but I've read people are having problems. I also like the denon mc7000 but I've had success with the original SX, SX2 so I'm holding out hope that they'll get their stuff together.
Gio Alex 7:23 PM - 19 December, 2018
Are there any issues with the SX2 like the SX3 has?
popnwave 7:56 PM - 19 December, 2018
Quote:
Are there any issues with the SX2 like the SX3 has?


SX2 has been rock solid, no recalls and outside of the mic and dual USB I think it's a great controller to find used for a nice price.
Logisticalstyles 8:35 PM - 19 December, 2018
Quote:
The SZ2 is massive! I kinda of look at it like a controller installation. It's like 2 cdjs and djm glued together lol


That's what I love about it. My personal controller is the SR2. I get to use the SZ2 at the club I work at and it's really spoiled me. Playing on the SR2 is boring now that I've gotten to use the jog wheels and customization on the SZ2. One night I had to do two clubs back to back. The first had the SZ2 and the second had the SX2. I still felt like I was missing out by using the SX2. I guess if I had to move the SZ2 around from gig to gig I would feel much different about it.
popnwave 9:28 PM - 19 December, 2018
The SZ2 is worth it if you are ok with the size.

I feel like we are due for a new iteration of it and I wonder if NAMM will introduce an SZ3 with a refresh. Not sure what they could really add to it, but it -is- their flagship controller.
Gio Alex 2:34 PM - 20 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
The SZ2 is massive! I kinda of look at it like a controller installation. It's like 2 cdjs and djm glued together lol


That's what I love about it. My personal controller is the SR2. I get to use the SZ2 at the club I work at and it's really spoiled me. Playing on the SR2 is boring now that I've gotten to use the jog wheels and customization on the SZ2. One night I had to do two clubs back to back. The first had the SZ2 and the second had the SX2. I still felt like I was missing out by using the SX2. I guess if I had to move the SZ2 around from gig to gig I would feel much different about it.


yeah, i definitely feel like it's a great installation for big bars or lounges, especially if they're two djs. using it for mobile though, i'm not so sure about. Reminds me of the one coffin joints people used for turntables and a mixer back in the day, but just less heavy.
Itchin_4_A_Scratch 3:16 PM - 7 January, 2019
I really tried to talk myself into the SZ2 because I love the appearance and feel but in the end I found it easier to talk myself out of it than into it.
Right now it just seems like the best thing for Serato users to do is be patient and wait to see what actually happens with the $1000 - 1200 price range for Pioneer DDJ S line.

We can only hope they are planning to make some variation of the 1000 for Serato or adding 1000 attributes to the next SX version.

One real drawback is that the SX3 is not that old so how long would we have to wait?
popnwave 4:44 PM - 7 January, 2019
Quote:
I really tried to talk myself into the SZ2 because I love the appearance and feel but in the end I found it easier to talk myself out of it than into it.
Right now it just seems like the best thing for Serato users to do is be patient and wait to see what actually happens with the $1000 - 1200 price range for Pioneer DDJ S line.

We can only hope they are planning to make some variation of the 1000 for Serato or adding 1000 attributes to the next SX version.

One real drawback is that the SX3 is not that old so how long would we have to wait?


I think something that is similar to the DDJ-1000 won't be associated with the SX line at all because of those nifty features like the displays in the JOGs. One thing I feel SDJ has NOT done well is displays via the USB connection. Otherwise the Numark NV would have made a much bigger splash. Even the Denon SC5000 decks only give you overviews and I think the 72 is the -only- thing providing cool, real time displays. That being said the DDJ-1000 job displays aren't showing THAT much info, so maybe PIO just sits on it a year and gives us a DDJ-1000 model that does it with SDJ with a name like the 1000S or something?
Gio Alex 4:51 PM - 7 January, 2019
Could it just be that Pio reserves the better features that benefit their brand and software?
Chino 5:09 PM - 7 January, 2019
Quote:
Could it just be that Pio reserves the better features that benefit their brand and software?


Pioneer has a decent strategy. They play the 'long game' very well!
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:50 PM - 7 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Could it just be that Pio reserves the better features that benefit their brand and software?


Pioneer has a decent strategy. They play the 'long game' very well!


I wonder what it's costing them in terms of revenue ...this long game.

Imagine the number of units they would have shipped if the bloody controller is Serato compatible even with a the Serato Tax on it.

They could even ship it with Serato Lite and pass the Serato Pro Tax to the buyer.
Gio Alex 9:04 PM - 7 January, 2019
They made a ton from the SB1/2/3 tho... most controllers you see are usually pio. At least from what i can see
Just Mike 9:28 PM - 7 January, 2019
I have owned the DDJ-1000 since it’s release. I also own the SX2, MCX8000, NS72 and the S9. The feel of the 1000 is the best...until you get to the software. If the 1000 in on Serato, it would be the best controller. Even above the SZ (I owned that one too. Platter wouldnt respond so I returned it). Rekordbox updates regularly but it’s not enough.....Yet. If Serato gets this controller, I’m getting it too!!
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:00 AM - 8 January, 2019
Great idea will be to hit up the Pioneer forums to let them know! I'm sure there are threads on it.

Even better if it's just one thread and not multiple posts.

It may have the exact opposite effect though knowing Pioneer they will probably dig their heels in...
RIDDIMNBLUES 1:58 AM - 8 January, 2019
Quote:
DDJ-1000 is the best all in one controller on the market in pure hardware terms imo. Between the platters, the hardware fx, and the crossfader, nothing comes close to the feel and featureset.

Too bad it's Rekordbox only. I hate Rekordbox about as much as I love the actual controller.


How is the sound quality compared to the SX3, SZ2?
Djkom 9:47 AM - 8 January, 2019
Quote:
Great idea will be to hit up the Pioneer forums to let them know! I'm sure there are threads on it.

Even better if it's just one thread and not multiple posts.

It may have the exact opposite effect though knowing Pioneer they will probably dig their heels in...


Highly doubt this way (make a ddj 1000 for serato), the other way makes more sense for Pioneer (make RKDJ as good as SDJ)
Itchin_4_A_Scratch 1:19 PM - 8 January, 2019
Pioneer is doing an incredible job at trying to takeover but I think they also realize that you can't make everyone change so hopefully they will continue to see Serato as an asset.

@popnwave, those nifty displays in the jog are probably the shortfall of the 1000.
You hit it right on the head with the fact they don't show that much info but to me it's worst because it also feels cluttered.

Do you really think Pioneer would make a Serato version of the 1000 instead oftrickling some 1000 features into the SX?
I suspect we will continue to see Serato products with their current layout and Rekordbox products with that Nexus layout they have gone to as a distinguishing point.

I loved using Kontrol D2s with the S4 because of the nice displays but because of how they use the computers GPU they didn't display properly with some setups.
On some computers they looked out of focus or fuzzy but they still managed to spoil me to working with screens at the controller.
Just Mike 2:03 PM - 8 January, 2019
NAMM 2019. I wonder what will be at the Pioneer DJ booth.
Djkom 2:16 PM - 8 January, 2019
Quote:
NAMM 2019. I wonder what will be at the Pioneer DJ booth.


Pioneer is massive this year at NAMM !!! They have 4 big stands but they are also suprisingly quiet....so don't know what's happening behind the scebe
Just Mike 2:48 PM - 8 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
NAMM 2019. I wonder what will be at the Pioneer DJ booth.


Pioneer is massive this year at NAMM !!! They have 4 big stands but they are also suprisingly quiet....so don't know what's happening behind the scebe



Yea, there is a Pioneer Booth, but there is also a Pioneer DJ booth. Interesting......
Gio Alex 4:24 PM - 8 January, 2019
Quote:
but I think they also realize that you can't make everyone change so hopefully they will continue to see Serato as an asset.


Yeah, I think they do. I good portion of their sales is Serato mixers and controllers. The S9 alone, and teh SB series sold a ton.
Just Mike 5:23 PM - 8 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
but I think they also realize that you can't make everyone change so hopefully they will continue to see Serato as an asset.


Yeah, I think they do. I good portion of their sales is Serato mixers and controllers. The S9 alone, and teh SB series sold a ton.



+1
djvtyme85 1:58 AM - 15 January, 2019
Quote:
I use RB DJ quite frequently with the DDJ RZX, DDJ 1000, and S9 (DVS) and it has made great strides in regards to stability and features. The only drawback I’ve experienced is that depending on what hardware you use with it, you get mixed results. Example I can run RBDJ without a hitch with my S9 setup and DDJ RZX but my DDJ 1000 presents some issues. I’m hoping it’s a firmware tweak that’ll eventually fix it.

I can say this....moving back and forth between RBDJ and Serato is more seamless than I initially thought. Being that RBDJ is mimicking Serato makes it easier. Now moving Traktor and others may present its problems.

Plus moving my library over to RBDJ made me hesitate for a while, but Rekkrdbuddy fixed that concern. Every time I add music to Serato and after analyzing and hot cueing, I simply run Rekordbuddy and within a minute all metadata transfers over to RBDJ. My Serato and RBDJ folder structure are identical, and this saved me countless hours that’s usually involved when migrating your music library over to another application.


Yep I do the same thing. RBuddy was a time/lifesaver. I use RBox with my CDJs and Mixars Duo in HID Mode its better than the same combo in Serato. But when it comes to DVS nothing beats Serato for me. So best of both worlds and only one minor step to make it happen.
NIC.E 5:03 PM - 22 January, 2019
for those who have asked, sound quality is supreme on this compared to the other pioneer offerings. on par with my mc7000 (which is an actual mixer, unlike the other pioneer controllers).

i refrained from any pioneer controllers before this, as they all sound like crap imo, especially the mic inputs. The ddj1000 is head and shoulders better... ive been using it for weddings and it sounds great to be honest

rekordbox def needs improvement - much slower to load tracks than SDJ (no chance I can load-drop mix second by second) - heard of others not having this issue but I am stumped... no video and audio playlists also sucks... but it is usable and i expect it will get better with future releases. i have a serato map but platters are sporadic, no led feedback, no platter feedback, and i wouldnt use it at a show
Culprit 6:25 PM - 22 January, 2019
Has Virtual DJ done it's own mapping for this yet? It's a good alternative to Serato DJ, and no I am not trolling I'm dead serious.
NIC.E 6:27 PM - 22 January, 2019
I'm told it works fully w vdj
Culprit 6:29 PM - 22 January, 2019
Quote:
I'm told it works fully w vdj


The native mappings vs serato dj are not 100 percent but after a day of working with it within that realm I think you would be convinced vs rekordbox. The video experience in Virtual DJ is only second to mix emergency, but works on both PC and OSX
NIC.E 6:32 PM - 22 January, 2019
yes have not even began to try video in rb - heard many horror stories... i use a serato controller or mixer when playing videos and serato video... not HUGE video guy

RB WILL be great - we are talking brand new in the realm of performance playing - not fair to compare to software developed over a decade ... IMO
DJs Inc 5:14 PM - 6 March, 2019
Hey Guys, just wondering if you guys could offer some advice. I am currently using a DDJ SZ2. I absolutely love it. The main reason I went for it was the nice full size layout and the full size CDJ style jog wheels.

I have been looking at the DDJ 1000. It seems to offer everything the SZ2 has.. but what's getting my attention is the fact it's a lot smaller and lighter. Is it worth switching over?
Culprit 5:24 PM - 6 March, 2019
Quote:
Hey Guys, just wondering if you guys could offer some advice. I am currently using a DDJ SZ2. I absolutely love it. The main reason I went for it was the nice full size layout and the full size CDJ style jog wheels.

I have been looking at the DDJ 1000. It seems to offer everything the SZ2 has.. but what's getting my attention is the fact it's a lot smaller and lighter. Is it worth switching over?


It all depends on how comfortable you would be with Rekordbox. Why dont you download Rekordbox and try it on your SZ before making the jump. The work flow isn't much different but the library management is definitely a major adjustment.

My personal experience with rekordbox is its a bit cluttered versus Serato DJ. Controller wise you got more landscape to operate with the SZ vs the smaller DDJ 1000. Going from bigger to smaller is always a trade from portability vs comfort.
DJs Inc 5:28 PM - 6 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Guys, just wondering if you guys could offer some advice. I am currently using a DDJ SZ2. I absolutely love it. The main reason I went for it was the nice full size layout and the full size CDJ style jog wheels.

I have been looking at the DDJ 1000. It seems to offer everything the SZ2 has.. but what's getting my attention is the fact it's a lot smaller and lighter. Is it worth switching over?


It all depends on how comfortable you would be with Rekordbox. Why dont you download Rekordbox and try it on your SZ before making the jump. The work flow isn't much different but the library management is definitely a major adjustment.

My personal experience with rekordbox is its a bit cluttered versus Serato DJ. Controller wise you got more landscape to operate with the SZ vs the smaller DDJ 1000. Going from bigger to smaller is always a trade from portability vs comfort.


Hey thanks for getting back so quick! I didn't even know you could run Rekordbox with the SZ2? I will definately try that out!

Would you say the DDJ 1000 still has the same build quality and is spaced out enough as it's using less space?
Culprit 8:57 PM - 6 March, 2019
I'm not sure to be honest. I've used a SZ and I like the size when playing it but wouldnt picture myself lugging it around. I own an sx and for the portability I love it
dj_soo 9:08 PM - 6 March, 2019
Having used both for a spell, I think the 1000 is unquestionably a better controller. Better platters, better crossfader, better effects. The only drawback is it’s rekordbox only - which I hate using with a passion.

I was testing the 1000 for a month for a review I did and I basically used it for every gig during that time.

The entire time I was using it, I kept wishing I were on serato, and once I returned the review unit and went back to my old controllers, I kept wishing I were playing on the 1000.
Just Mike 9:51 PM - 6 March, 2019
Quote:
Having used both for a spell, I think the 1000 is unquestionably a better controller. Better platters, better crossfader, better effects. The only drawback is it’s rekordbox only - which I hate using with a passion.

I was testing the 1000 for a month for a review I did and I basically used it for every gig during that time.

The entire time I was using it, I kept wishing I were on serato, and once I returned the review unit and went back to my old controllers, I kept wishing I were playing on the 1000.


+1 I went back to using my SX2. The 1000 is the best controller but Rekord Box makes it the worst.
NIC.E 3:48 PM - 8 March, 2019
I also bit into trying to switch to RB after using serato for over a decade... solely to have CDJ/DJM feel in a small package (ddj1000). Long story short, my 1000 has found a new home on ebay. I just could not get my flow going on RB and gave it a good solid 4 months straight of exclusive use. If I really need or want to play on CDJs, I just bring my CDJs.

For those looking for 'the best' controller... I have had them or worked extensively on all... I do not work for Roland or any company, but those looking for THE BEST should check out the roland dj 808. SUPREME sound quality, hands down best jogs (seriously amazing feel and response with precise LED feedback), made in Japan, light weight but weirdly solid.. I looked at it for a year or so, finally took a shot on a used unit, and WOW.
Just Mike 4:49 PM - 8 March, 2019
Quote:
I also bit into trying to switch to RB after using serato for over a decade... solely to have CDJ/DJM feel in a small package (ddj1000). Long story short, my 1000 has found a new home on ebay. I just could not get my flow going on RB and gave it a good solid 4 months straight of exclusive use. If I really need or want to play on CDJs, I just bring my CDJs.

For those looking for 'the best' controller... I have had them or worked extensively on all... I do not work for Roland or any company, but those looking for THE BEST should check out the roland dj 808. SUPREME sound quality, hands down best jogs (seriously amazing feel and response with precise LED feedback), made in Japan, light weight but weirdly solid.. I looked at it for a year or so, finally took a shot on a used unit, and WOW.


Nice, never even considered the Roland. Something to consider since NAMM 2019 didn’t produce much.
NIC.E 4:54 PM - 8 March, 2019
Nice, never even considered the Roland. Something to consider since NAMM 2019 didn’t produce much.


you wont regret it...
DJEASY 1:29 AM - 9 April, 2019
My point of view this all looks like every hardware co..//DENON//PIONEER//NATIVE// they are building there own controllers and software where as SERATO will just be left with NUMARK products and RANE !!!!!UNLESS SERATO COMES OUT WITH THERE OWN HARDWARE!!!!!!! SERATO is going to have to release that lock.. I mean this is my opinion..REKORDBOX not there for me yet but will say after all these updates its getting better..ENGINE PRIME ive have not used so much dont know how much there updated so far..but all these Hardware from these companies are some of the best controllers outhere..and also trying to get rid of laptops in the future with that DENON PRIME 4 coming other companies jumping on that..Hope im wrong but SERATO is not in a good position right now
Rebelguy 3:12 AM - 9 April, 2019
Then we move on and they go out of business. It is what it is. Adapt or die.