DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Sennheiser EW100 series handheld (loud static issue)

BriChi 12:32 PM - 9 July, 2009
Anyone else have this issue?

I have 6 Sennheiser EW100 series mics, all handheld, reanging in the 500MHZ and 600MHZ channels. When I turn a handhelds power off I get this REALLY LOUD static thats shoots through the speakers. This is ridiculous because for 1, it scares the crap out of anyone in the room and 2, it can eventually kill my speakers. I have emailed Sennheiser and they claim it is just interference but that's bullshit, I run the scan on my receivers before every job for the cleanest channel and tune the mic to it. Even if the mc is walking far from the receiver or a little out of range the static shoots through also which is great when you are running like a montage or something and the mc happens to walk out of the room for a second with the mic in his hand and you get this loud blaring sound through the system

I have owned all Shure mics (about 20-25 of them) for 15 years and never had an issue, i started switching over to Sennheiser because of better sound quality and the mics seemed like they were built better, So far this has been a BIG mistake.

So any guys who have these mics, have you had similar issues or see anything like this. I have a lot of the mics and they all do it so it is not like it is related to just one unit that could be faulty
DeezNotes 12:58 PM - 9 July, 2009
Yup. The one we had would do the static thing if you turned it off. Other than that, it worked great! lol
DeezNotes 12:58 PM - 9 July, 2009
Mute switch FTW I guess? I used the Shure wireless one and I liked that as well.
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:44 PM - 9 July, 2009
I've had this problem once or twice with my wireless mic. I have a samson mic (forget which model) and I've had this problem a few times only when I have gone out of range. There was one time where I had the mic in my pocket and we were set up for dinner in another room. Someone comes running in to get us saying that there is this huge noise coming from the speakers. Naturally we walk in and there is no noise since we are back in range.

Do you get the problem only when you turn them off? Or only when out of range? I always turn the mic output on the mixer off first before I actually power down the mic. Kind of like turning your amps off before your mixer.

Ever since I know of that issue, if I have to leave the room (more than 100-150 ft) i leave the mic at the DJ booth.
DJ GaFFle 2:01 PM - 9 July, 2009
You have to adjust your SQUELCH settings...
BriChi 2:17 PM - 9 July, 2009
I've adjusted everything and tweaked the settings, even squelch, it's at maximum range. Still no luck.

The mute switch is useless when u go out of range. It's still gonna lose signal and cause static whether the mute switch is on or off
DeezNotes 2:26 PM - 9 July, 2009
I only see the problem when you turn the Senny OFF. If you leave it on and stay in range (and mute it) it works fine. But if you turn the mic off, it'll throw static. I've honestly never configured anything at all on it. Turned it on and got my Kid Capri on.
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:27 PM - 9 July, 2009
^ exactly. Mute won't do anything.

The only thing I can tell you is have your MC be careful when he is going around with the mic and not to take it out of range. You never had that problem with the Shures?
Culprit 2:28 PM - 9 July, 2009
mute button
sixxx 2:31 PM - 9 July, 2009
I've used Shure's.... never a problem. My friend decided to use his Sennheiser at the club.... wow.... he had nothing but problems with it. lol

From feedback to static.... it was horrible!
BriChi 2:41 PM - 9 July, 2009
same here Sixxx

[quote\]You never had that problem with the Shures?
Nope, when the Shures when out of range or are shut off, the receivers mute themselves and send no signal to the mixer
BriChi 2:41 PM - 9 July, 2009
quote fail!!! LOL
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:56 PM - 9 July, 2009
lol
Culprit 7:16 PM - 9 July, 2009
Quote:
lol

hey how do i get certified for quality entertainment?
DJ TLS 11:18 PM - 18 September, 2009
You have to change your frequency settings. One of the other transmitter/receivers has a frequency too close or is creating a 2nd or 3rd order harmonic. Also your squelch should be set to around 15.
BriChi 11:20 PM - 18 September, 2009
thx TLS,,

I change the settings every job by using the scan feature, it icks a frequency and I tune to it....

My squelch is on medium now and it has been better so far
DJ TLS 11:24 PM - 18 September, 2009
just remember as you do the scan for each unit. Leave the transmitters on and prefferably not near the receivers. you can overload the RF and they will go squirrly
BriChi 11:30 PM - 18 September, 2009
k, thx man
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:05 AM - 19 September, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
lol

hey how do i get certified for quality entertainment?

You have to be the first to think of a cool clever name...that's how! :)
L84work 1:01 AM - 17 February, 2013
Hi - I have the same problem with my Sennheiser. I think it might be a ground issue. when I turn the Mic off, the OL light on my ttm57 lights up instantly. If I touch the housing of the transmitter box, it stops immediately. pull my hand back and feedback returns... hmmm
JC3101991 3:54 PM - 6 December, 2015
I'm having the same issues with the Sennys. I have two of them going through the monitors pre fade, so even if I have it muted on the board, signal is still going to the monitor. Whenever the pack is turned off, I occasionally get a loud static in the monitors that startles everyone. I have to turn the actual receiver off at that point so that no signal is going through the board. I'm going to try to put some room in between the two receivers and see if that works.
JDforKing 4:38 PM - 6 December, 2015
Quote:
I'm having the same issues with the Sennys. I have two of them going through the monitors pre fade, so even if I have it muted on the board, signal is still going to the monitor. Whenever the pack is turned off, I occasionally get a loud static in the monitors that startles everyone. I have to turn the actual receiver off at that point so that no signal is going through the board. I'm going to try to put some room in between the two receivers and see if that works.

I kept having the same problem eventually giving up and stopped using it. I purchased some inexpensive GTD audio systems that work well for me.
Rebelguy 10:18 PM - 6 December, 2015
It's a known issue with the Sennheiser systems. I have the same problem occasionally and it is a real pain in the ass. No solution I am aware of but you can try giving Sennheiser a call. I am contemplating switching to the Shute QLX D line because of it
Scully DJ Services 2:44 AM - 7 December, 2015
@Rebelguy Why not one of these? www.zzounds.com
I own one and it sounds great, is super easy to use, and the range is very good. I also love the rechargeable battery that fits into the receiver and lasts for about 10 hours of use.
Rebelguy 3:11 AM - 7 December, 2015
Quote:
@Rebelguy Why not one of these? www.zzounds.com
I own one and it sounds great, is super easy to use, and the range is very good. I also love the rechargeable battery that fits into the receiver and lasts for about 10 hours of use.

Ive had bad experiences with 2.4 ghz systems. I deal with a lot of venues and events with heavy wifi activity.
Scully DJ Services 4:44 AM - 7 December, 2015
Ok that makes sense. Thanks for the info
wisenheimer 7:00 PM - 27 September, 2016
I had this happen to me with a filled room at my new job for my first week of working for a private boarding school. This was not a happy thing for me. I had NEVER experience this and was terribly embarrassed. I called Sennheiser and they said this:

"If you are on a frequency that has a background RF signal and that signal gets output by the receiver then it will come through as static.

If you are on a frequency that has no RF signal showing and are getting static then likely the AF Out level on the receiver is too high so you would need to lower the AF Out level."

However, this happens even when you do a scan for the best frequency. I have used Shure mics for years and this was NEVER an issue. WTF?
577er 7:16 PM - 27 September, 2016
I've had this happen with the Sennheiser SKP 100 G3 and EK 100 G3 receivers. It sucks but they work so well the rest of the time you just have to remember to never turn them off with the volume up on the receiving end. Major defect IMO.
Culprit 8:30 PM - 27 September, 2016
Quote:
I've had this happen with the Sennheiser SKP 100 G3 and EK 100 G3 receivers. It sucks but they work so well the rest of the time you just have to remember to never turn them off with the volume up on the receiving end. Major defect IMO.

Man, I always thought it was the way I was setting some of these microphones up. Only with the Sennheiser's too..
pdidy 10:38 PM - 27 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Man, I always thought it was the way I was setting some of these microphones up. Only with the Sennheiser's too..

OH SHIT ! i920.photobucket.com
This is happening to me too with my Sennheiser EW 135 G3 www.amazon.com

Had no idea till now it was a Sennheiser thing. I had a VERY LOUD and embarrassing moment with that at a wedding of all places. All this time i thought it was me setting something wrong on the mic or my new QSC touchmix 16 board i purchased with it.
Rebelguy 10:58 PM - 27 September, 2016
I am happy I just sold all my Sennheiser units. Got the new Shure units ready and they sound incredible. Thinking about using Sony for wireless speakers.
pdidy 11:02 PM - 27 September, 2016
Quote:
Thinking about using Sony for wireless speakers.

??
Rebelguy 11:39 PM - 27 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Thinking about using Sony for wireless speakers.

??

www.bhphotovideo.com

youtu.be
Culprit 2:39 AM - 28 September, 2016
www.guitarcenter.com

I have been using these. I set them up last and have had very little issues, even with wireless microphones.

Been waiting for the stealth pro series to drop but its been pushed back so many times.
DJ Guayo 2:41 AM - 28 September, 2016
I think rebel meant wireless lav mics. Lol
577er 2:43 AM - 28 September, 2016
Quote:
I am happy I just sold all my Sennheiser units. Got the new Shure units ready and they sound incredible. Thinking about using Sony for wireless speakers.

Which Shure units did you get? I've got the SLX and FP series and they work ok but they don't have a signal strength indicator like the Sennhiser.

This is a good video comparing the pros and cons of the Shure, Sony and Sennhiser battery powered wireless systems. Watchm.youtube.com
Rebelguy 3:56 AM - 28 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Which Shure units did you get? I've got the SLX and FP series and they work ok but they don't have a signal strength indicator like the Sennhiser.

This is a good video comparing the pros and cons of the Shure, Sony and Sennhiser battery powered wireless systems. Watchm.youtube.com

I recently switched over to the Shure QLXD series. I'm running Beta58 and SM86 handhelds and WL185 lav mics.

The video was interesting but I believe that is the older model of the Sony that I linked to.
Stu Beans 1:14 AM - 8 November, 2016
I have a ew172 g3a purchased 2 months ago on Amazon. Gigged with it no problems for a month....this past friday, im playing the hard rock cafe in tampa and that huge static sound happens WHILE I'M PLAYING (bass guitar). Had no clue what it was at first. Unplugged the whole unit, played wired rest of gig.

Sat night comes along, i plug it in, add fresh batteries, and right away, making the static noise. Can't remember if the transmitter was off, I was so miffed, i just played wired the whole night.

Tonight, at home...plug it in....same static sound. Changed frequencies, same static sound. Seems to ONLY happen when the transmitter is off. Turn transmitter on, all ok.

Changed the squelch to high, no static. Will continue to test, but it shure (no pun) as hell makes me nervous to gig with it again.
Rebelguy 3:57 AM - 8 November, 2016
Quote:
I have a ew172 g3a purchased 2 months ago on Amazon. Gigged with it no problems for a month....this past friday, im playing the hard rock cafe in tampa and that huge static sound happens WHILE I'M PLAYING (bass guitar). Had no clue what it was at first. Unplugged the whole unit, played wired rest of gig.

Sat night comes along, i plug it in, add fresh batteries, and right away, making the static noise. Can't remember if the transmitter was off, I was so miffed, i just played wired the whole night.

Tonight, at home...plug it in....same static sound. Changed frequencies, same static sound. Seems to ONLY happen when the transmitter is off. Turn transmitter on, all ok.

Changed the squelch to high, no static. Will continue to test, but it shure (no pun) as hell makes me nervous to gig with it again.

Yes...that is a known issue with the Sennheiser. They are well aware of it and was told by tech support to leave the transmitter on. I had it happen quite a few times because of guests that would turn off the handheld. It was one of the reasons I switched to Shure.
Stu Beans 4:13 AM - 8 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Yes...that is a known issue with the Sennheiser. They are well aware of it and was told by tech support to leave the transmitter on. I had it happen quite a few times because of guests that would turn off the handheld. It was one of the reasons I switched to Shure.

I saw all that....but this happened to me in the middle of a tune.
Kenny Ter 6:30 PM - 17 April, 2017
I have the same issue with the Sennheiser. When i turn off the mic a lot of static sound, because my battery is almost die or low, when i change batteries mic work good with no static)))) even if I turn it off.
Silverado 5:44 PM - 20 April, 2017
Had this happen twice at a wedding. So what I am understanding from the thread is to just not turn off the wireless mic at event and keep the volume on mixer off until you speak. Also what should my squelch be set at low, med or high. And what about the AF out what is an ideal DB setting. I have it currently at - 18db. Thanks.
Culprit 5:46 PM - 20 April, 2017
Sell them and go shure man. The shure don't do that.
Rebelguy 6:14 PM - 20 April, 2017
Quote:

That's what I did.
JDforKing 9:11 PM - 20 April, 2017
Quote:

Neither do my gtd audio wireless microphone systems.
DJ Guayo 1:40 AM - 21 April, 2017
I run the auto frequency to look for the clearest frequency and have the squelch set on hi. Haven't had issues since. Hope that helps.
Rick LaBeau 10:43 PM - 2 September, 2017
All this time I guess I was right in blaming Sennheiser mics for those embarrassing cracking noises and cacaphonistic static when the power was off on the mic! I also have a very old Shure wireless and it doesn't seem to have any of those problems! Sennheiser never again!
Hiprocboy 4:58 PM - 24 February, 2018
I have found this to be true mainly because from the factor on all 6 of the units they sent me they were set to +18. When watching the meters they would peak out causing the loud crackling static noise. I have currently not had any problems since adjusting the AF OUT to the right setting per the type of mic input or console I am using.
This is coming straight from Senny
sennheiserusa.happyfox.com
Hiprocboy 5:04 PM - 24 February, 2018
What adjustments can I do to improve sound quality?
There are two main settings that will typically affect sound quality:

MICROPHONE SENSITIVITY
This is how sensitive the microphone pick up is and this is adjusted on the handheld microphone, bodypack or SKP transmitter itself. Typically for general speaking the sensitivity should be set around -15 to -18 dB. You will need to adjust this depending on the exact application. Closer to 0 dB is more sensitive and further away from 0 dB is less sensitive. If the microphone is too sensitive the input will overload the microphone and the AF level will peak and the audio will be clipped. The sensitivity should be set so the AF PEAK indicator only lights up during the loudest passages.

AF OUT
This is how strong the final signal exits the receiver into the sound board/PA system/recorder etc. The "AF OUT" setting is found only in the receiver's menu settings. Typically this will be set around 0 dB or +6 dB if you connecting to a line level input on the sound board/speakers/etc. If you are trying to connect to a device which expects a mic level input, you will typically need to drop this AF output down to -24 dB or -30 dB.

NOTE: If the AF Output is too high it may overload the input (peak) on connected device and may create undesirable noise (distortion, rumbling, etc).