Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

CONTROLLER BACKUP?

djshawnclark 11:15 PM - 15 May, 2018
Hey Guys,
I’ve been a Serato user for years now and I am a mobile DJ. Weddings are my favorite. I got to thinking that I have backups to everything(hard drives,speakers,cables etc. ). My question is, if my controller craps out(for any reason), what do you use for a backup? Right now I have a small 4 channel
Mixer, but it does not have EQ adjustments. I’m curious to know what is out there that is not a large controller. I want a small and portable controller. I condidered Numark DJ2Go but theres no EQ. Thanks Folks 😀
Aptidda 11:28 PM - 15 May, 2018
Well I always use an iPad for every single gig regardless that I have a Rane 72/ 1200's etc. I just push play and head for the h'orderves
djshawnclark 12:03 AM - 16 May, 2018
I may need to be more specific. I’m at an event, my controller gets thrown through the window by John Cena lol. What doI do? An iPad wouldnt really worksince all my tracks are on a hard drive. Plus somesongs I need to turn the bass down etc. I’m leaning towards a small mixer withEQ controls.
Draven1327 12:08 AM - 16 May, 2018
I have a ddj-sx for my main, and an akai amx controller with a midifighter 3ds for cue points and loops. its small enough to fit in my backpack with my laptop, headphone and hdd's

I cant exactly do battle with my backup, but I can continue a party hard with a few minute intermission on the ipad to switch over the cables and sound check.
djshawnclark 12:38 AM - 16 May, 2018
I checked out the Akai AMX. This may be exactly what I’m looking for. Its got all the EQ knobs, headphones, crossfader etc. No mic though but thats ok. I’m only using it to get me through the event in case something goes. Def a contender.
RR437T 2:29 AM - 16 May, 2018
www.musiciansfriend.com

This is probably the best choice for what you want.
DJ Tecniq 4:12 AM - 16 May, 2018
You didn’t specify what controller you’re using. However i used a Pioneer SB2 as a mobile backup but I’ve since sold it and upgraded to the SR2 for more outputs and features. Solid controller i got it for $100 off💯👌🏼
djshawnclark 11:08 AM - 16 May, 2018
I use a Pioneer DDJ SX for my main setup. I love it. My ceremonies etc. , I use a 4 channel cheap mixer from Mackie(2 mic inputs),no EQ for the auxilary. I was looking at the DDJ SB2 last night due to the fact its cheaper than the Akai and it has gain knobs, EQ etc. it should fit in my bag easily. I did look at the Gemini Slate but they are a very very very basic controller so I will pass.
DJ Little Nemo 11:15 AM - 16 May, 2018
I use an AMX controller and it's perfect for Serato : mixer, Pitch, filter FX...

I use it also in conjonction with the AFX for Cue, samples, FX, Loops, etc

But indeed the AMX is the right choice of backup : light, cheap.
djshawnclark 11:36 AM - 16 May, 2018
This is tough. Being its just a secondary mixer. I like how small the Akai AMX is and I suppose the cue points arent really needed on the backup controller. As long as I can cue up the next track in my headphones I will be all set. Akai AMX vs Pioneer DDJ SM2. One is alotsmaller and more expensive. DDJ has cue points, mic, etc. I dont know yet.
DJ Tecniq 2:36 PM - 16 May, 2018
Quote:
I use a Pioneer DDJ SX for my main setup. I love it. My ceremonies etc. , I use a 4 channel cheap mixer from Mackie(2 mic inputs),no EQ for the auxilary. I was looking at the DDJ SB2 last night due to the fact its cheaper than the Akai and it has gain knobs, EQ etc. it should fit in my bag easily. I did look at the Gemini Slate but they are a very very very basic controller so I will pass.
There’s always the offline player or “practice mode” in SDJ Pro. I’ve used it before at wedding ceremonies where my main setup is usually at the reception. Works well just use a rca to aux cord for the speakers and laptop. Job done👍🏼
DJ Tecniq 2:41 PM - 16 May, 2018
It’s no backup by any means but if your controller dies you at least have music to play still.
RR437T 9:55 PM - 16 May, 2018
Quote:
This is tough. Being its just a secondary mixer. I like how small the Akai AMX is and I suppose the cue points arent really needed on the backup controller. As long as I can cue up the next track in my headphones I will be all set. Akai AMX vs Pioneer DDJ SM2. One is alotsmaller and more expensive. DDJ has cue points, mic, etc. I dont know yet.

Since the Akai is Serato enabled, you can use it with a small 2nd generic midi controller like some of the ones that Novation offers. You can probably get something for less than $100.
Logisticalstyles 2:04 PM - 20 May, 2018
I use the AMX with a Novation Launchpad mini. It's a great backup combo and has come in handy more than once.
577er 7:16 PM - 20 May, 2018
iPad with DJAY algoriddim and the matching Y cable. That way if serato or your laptop malfunctions or your controller dies you have a separate ecosystem you can rely on. Just plug it into your line mixer. You can load enough music / all of your playlists for a wedding on a iPad for each wedding. The SB2 is very capable of you want a second controller to play with.
DJ Trice 11:54 AM - 22 May, 2018
+1 Mister 577er :-) DJAY works perfectly, i use it sometimes with my Reloop RMX33i and an ipad air: this software is very good and stable. You can use it also with controller and turntables.

My alternative set-up is a Novation Twitch (but it's very difficult to find now "sold out since a few year"... but this is definitively my Favorite second set-up. The perfect controller to care when travelling.
deejayfatcat 9:46 PM - 22 May, 2018
Agree and will add that having Spotify integration is great for back up rig or one off requests.

Quote:
iPad with DJAY algoriddim and the matching Y cable. That way if serato or your laptop malfunctions or your controller dies you have a separate ecosystem you can rely on. Just plug it into your line mixer. You can load enough music / all of your playlists for a wedding on a iPad for each wedding. The SB2 is very capable of you want a second controller to play with.