Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Sync button with an increasing BPM

Nuciferous 5:30 AM - 2 May, 2018
I have a song which increases in BPM throughout the first half. When I use Sync, the song's BPM, instead of increasing, doesn't change which, in turn, distorts the song. Is this the intended functionality or is there something I'm doing wrong?
DjSyndic8 7:25 AM - 2 May, 2018
Quote:
I have a song which increases in BPM throughout the first half. When I use Sync, the song's BPM, instead of increasing, doesn't change which, in turn, distorts the song. Is this the intended functionality or is there something I'm doing wrong?

I take it one of your tracks is what you call a transition track The Bpm changes throughout the track,
also you have to correct your beat markers on both tracks for Sync to work properly

there's nothing wrong with Serato its the beat-markers that's out

heres a tutorial -->Watchwww.youtube.com
Nuciferous 3:37 PM - 2 May, 2018
Not really a transition song. My test case is Opus by Eric Prydz if you're familiar with it. I have set up the beat grids actually so if I let the track play without sync on, the BPM reader in Serato will reflect the increase as the song progresses. It's only when I hit sync that Serato will progressively slow the song down to keep the BPM from increasing.
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 8:20 AM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
Not really a transition song. My test case is Opus by Eric Prydz if you're familiar with it. I have set up the beat grids actually so if I let the track play without sync on, the BPM reader in Serato will reflect the increase as the song progresses. It's only when I hit sync that Serato will progressively slow the song down to keep the BPM from increasing.

When you engage sync it locks the beat markers to the bpm of the track on other deck. What you are seeing is not a fault, this is sync doing what you have asked it to do. This sort of behaviour is great for old funk tracks that don’t keep perfect timing.
The only way around your problem would be to disengage sync immediately after you mix it in then engage sync at end of track in order to mix out of track.
Or learn to beat match and turn sync off.
DjSyndic8 10:25 AM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

When you engage sync it locks the beat markers to the bpm of the track on other deck. What you are seeing is not a fault, this is sync doing what you have asked it to do. This sort of behaviour is great for old funk tracks that don’t keep perfect timing.
The only way around your problem would be to disengage sync immediately after you mix it in then engage sync at end of track in order to mix out of track.
Or learn to beat match and turn sync off.

agree +1
Nuciferous 3:15 PM - 3 May, 2018
Gotcha. Let me come at this from a different direction then, because my goal isn't really to sync up the beat on two songs. I want to use Link to sync the beat of my Serato song to my visuals via my VJ software (Resolume). Do you know if there's a way of doing that while allowing the BPM to increase throughout the song?
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 4:04 PM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
Gotcha. Let me come at this from a different direction then, because my goal isn't really to sync up the beat on two songs. I want to use Link to sync the beat of my Serato song to my visuals via my VJ software (Resolume). Do you know if there's a way of doing that while allowing the BPM to increase throughout the song?

I would think not, although you could beat grid the track so that the grid remains at a fixed bpm and the down beat markers ignore the tempo change.
It depends what you are trying to sync visually. If your visuals have to be on beat then you may struggle.
Sphinx Sounds 8:29 PM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:

Therein lies your problem- don't use sync. SMFH. @#$@ Noobs
Nuciferous 8:42 PM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:

I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not, but I'll bite. Is there a way to use Link to sync the BPM from Serato to Resolume without using Sync?
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 8:55 PM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not, but I'll bite. Is there a way to use Link to sync the BPM from Serato to Resolume without using Sync?

Don’t bite, some are here just to feel they are better than others. But most of us are here to help if we can.
DjSyndic8 11:06 PM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

majority of DJ's here don't like Sync, and we feel that at least know how to beat mix first so you wouldn't have to rely on purely Sync to be able to Mix,
If you did know the basics of beat mixing then you be able to answer your own question on this thread, alls im sayin.
Nuciferous 11:48 PM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

majority of DJ's here don't like Sync, and we feel that at least know how to beat mix first so you wouldn't have to rely on purely Sync to be able to Mix,
If you did know the basics of beat mixing then you be able to answer your own question on this thread, alls im sayin.

Ya, I’m well aware of the debate. It’s just not relevant to this thread. If you read my clarifications, I’m trying to link serato to resolume via Link with a song whose BPM increases over time.
DjSyndic8 11:51 PM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
Ya, I’m well aware of the debate. It’s just not relevant to this thread. If you read my clarifications, I’m trying to link serato to resolume via Link with a song whose BPM increases over time.

cool you could suggest it in this section good luck.--->serato.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:50 AM - 4 May, 2018
I understand what you are saying regarding link. I think it's the way link was implemented in Serato DJ. I have tried using it for the same purpose and the bpm changes was the downside.

For now I think Serato doesn't transmit bpm changes in one track over Link.

I have abandoned the using link with Serato DJ altogether.
Cwite 4:09 PM - 5 May, 2018
I can way in on this a little. How much of this will make sense is another matter lol.
I can beat match by ear perfectly, but I use sync too for extra performance purposes and I am very used to setting up grids on weird songs like this and I'm very used to how sync behaves in all circumstances because I have taken the time to learn it after it has bitten me several times.

Problem number 1 with this particular song, it starts ridiculously slow. If you grid it properly (so it runs around 128ish) you will run out of grid markers about half way through the song, so you need to start at around 32bpm to be able to make it to the other end with markers peaking at 128ish at the height of the song.

You would have to manualy mix in the song at 128ish in a quad timing style. Double time from 32 to 64, then again from 64 to 128. But only the first bar would be usable in this song. Because of the tempo difference a 32bpm 4 beat loop will act like a 4bar phrase at 128bpm. After this first bar on Epic you will have to break the mix and carry on with Epic on its own as the song starts to build immediately. So you couldn't piggy back a beat to it with sync, this is because it will stay at what ever your original sync tempo is set at, self-eliminating the build up.

If you tried to auto sync at the mix in stage it will lock Epic at the other songs outgoing BPM and eliminate any kind of build too up as it self syncs, so if you start the grid it at 32bpm (so the markers run all the way through to the end of the song) it will sound like it's starting at the peak part of the song as it tries to match your outgoing track. I hope you can follow that?

The only other way to get the slow sounding intro using sync would be to beat grid the beginning of the song at full speed (I think it actually peaks at 126 from what I remember), and then grid the mix out point of choice too. Ignore the wave forms in between these points so the actual song playing increases in speed but the grid markers don't change in tempo and don't follow the changes in bpm. This will let you sync a mix at the very beginning and the very end, but nothing in between.

There isnt really any fix for this within the software. This particular song also compounds the problem because it starts VERY slow, peaks, then slows right down to 32bpm in real time at the outro.

I hope this kind of helps
Nuciferous 5:22 PM - 5 May, 2018
Thanks Cwite. That does actually help me understand some of the nuances of sync and manually setting grids. I didn't realize you could run out. I definitely started too high and would have run out but I only went through part of the song as I was doing my tests.

However, I'm not actually trying to mix this song in/out with anything else. This particular song I'm quite happy having sort of a break before/after. I'm trying to sync it with my VJ software so I really need a solution for having a dynamically changing BPM to the beat in Resolume increases exactly with the song. It's clear from your post, and others, that simply wouldn't work though as the software currently works. I did start a feature request. Maybe you'd be willing to have a look at my proposed solution and comment if you think there's a better way to make this work.

serato.com