DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 72 / DJM S9 Review / Comparison Video

lazyellow.com 5:31 PM - 22 April, 2018
Hey Guys; did a little review/comparison of the 72 and my S9, very hard to choose between the two (IMO)! A few minor things on the 72 that I hope will be fixed in future updates:

- Touchscreen workflow changes/customisation; e.g. selecting a song and automatically jumping back to previous view would be nice!
- Touch sensitive scroll knows; can we switch this off!?
- Post Fader Serato FX routing?

Overall a worthy option but whether it takes the crown - I personally don't think you could call it, the S9 still holds its' own in my view, but check it out: youtu.be
dj_soo 9:13 PM - 22 April, 2018
really disappointed that they stayed with plastic pots as that was one of the biggest issues with the 60 series mixers for me.

As many problems as I often have with Pioneer gear, the pots are always on point and some of the best feeling in the industry imo.

Still sticking with the 72 eventually because the S9 has too many dealbreakers for me.
lazyellow.com 11:03 PM - 22 April, 2018
Quote:
really disappointed that they stayed with plastic pots as that was one of the biggest issues with the 60 series mixers for me.

As many problems as I often have with Pioneer gear, the pots are always on point and some of the best feeling in the industry imo.

Still sticking with the 72 eventually because the S9 has too many dealbreakers for me.

To be fair a lot of the gripes I found are very very minor and subjective; pretty much everything could get fixed with firmware updates (aside from the pots and tension adjust!) Who knows I might end up keeping both! Still a great update esp from the sixty two and as a first product of the “new” Rane it will be interesting to see what else they come up with..!
dj_soo 11:35 PM - 22 April, 2018
given the success of the launch so far, I think we'll definitely see more mixers at least.

I still think that we're eventually going to see a 72-style mixer with the SC5000 processor embedded inside that will allow for straight standalone mode with USBs and link to the Twelves and maybe even DVS.

I feel like that would make more sense than Twelves with USB standalone implemented in the player.
Aptidda 4:27 PM - 23 April, 2018
the S9 is pale in comparison to the 72. I have owned both, everything about the S9 is inferior hands down no questions asked.
Djkom 2:13 PM - 24 April, 2018
I own a S9 and finally I've just tried the 72 today...then I'm no longer that impressed by this Rane mixer !!!

Let me argue:

- The 72 is a monster by its size, its the biggest scratch mixer I've ever seen...not really a problem but not an advantage also...

- This famous screen...hum...at this stage it's a joke! the waveforms are very choppy, there's no Tempo Match Display, FX settings and workflows are a pain ! I'm not saying the screen is useless or cannot be a useful feature...but it's need a serious update.

- The MagThree faders...There are heavier and noisier than the Pioneer Magvel ones. It seems we can adjust the tension of those new Rane fader by removing the faceplate...cumbersome....

- Who's still using Serato FX when we have hardware FX ??? Who's using 2 different FX for each channel at the same time ??? Remove those 6 useless buttons and implement a Pad FX mode like Rekordbox ! Remove those 2 different FX banks and save space on the mixer ! Add standard quick FX access and BASTA, there's no better workflow !

- The browse (ugly) knob and FX bank (ugly) knob are too dangerously close each other....misleading and accidents guarantee !

For the first time since early 2000 after having SL1, TTM57, TTM62, TTM57mk2..., I will not jump into new Rane products (also the 12 btw)...
There's no real extra value compared to my current setup (sc3900 + S9) ... To me, Rane 12 + 72 could even bring more inconveniences than advantages...

Pioneer has a good small window of opportunity here to fix these issues and launch a perfect S9 mk2
popnwave 9:22 PM - 24 April, 2018
On the display thing..jeeze man it's a waveform display not a replacement for your laptop. That shouldn't even be a complaint.

Most of the knob stuff is work flow relearning, it comes with any new tool.
Mr. Goodkat 9:56 PM - 24 April, 2018
Quote:
On the display thing..jeeze man it's a waveform display not a replacement for your laptop. That shouldn't even be a complaint.

Most of the knob stuff is work flow relearning, it comes with any new tool.

seems like the waveform display would be a replacement for your laptop for people that dont want to stare at the computer or have it placed directly in front of them?

remember the 'serato face' cracks from the past?
popnwave 10:12 PM - 24 April, 2018
Yeah, but this is to reduce that, not replace it.

If you want waveform, tempo and all sorts of other stuff you're back to needing something using Rekordbox or a controller vs a standalone mixer with a smaller display.
So Fresh 3:06 PM - 25 April, 2018
if serato ever updated the ipad remote you could have the best of both with a S9 and touch screen.

They have kind of proved its possible with the 72

+ it would be nice to have the larger screen
So Fresh 3:15 PM - 25 April, 2018
infact any mixer
Jvine 4:57 PM - 25 April, 2018
Quote:

For the first time since early 2000 after having SL1, TTM57, TTM62, TTM57mk2..., I will not jump into new Rane products (also the 12 btw)...
There's no real extra value compared to my current setup (sc3900 + S9) ... To me, Rane 12 + 72 could even bring more inconveniences than advantages...

I feel pretty much the same. I've owned SL1, SL3, 56, 56s, 57, and a 61. I've been debating buying a 57mk2. I will never buy a Pioneer product unless I get it at a ridiculous deal(I think Pioneer is absolute junk after experience with the 909 and every piece of Pioneer gear ever looking like paint chipped trash after a while of owning it).

The 72 has actually pushed me closer to a 57mk2 or just sticking with my 61 or even getting another 61. The 72 is cool for sure, but it just seems like absolute overkill to me, that like you said, looks like it could bring more inconveniences than advantages.

I'm excited to see where it goes and what it pushes others to do though.
Ollieboy 5:42 AM - 28 April, 2018
Prior to the 72 I'm coming from the 62. Never really got to try the S9 so both are kinda a first hand experience for me.
S9: Very straight forward layout. EFx buttons are easy to hit the Auto loop is cool feature. You can pretty much do your set and figure the features out quickly. That being said. The bulid quality feels more like and $800 mixer. Very plasticy, if that is a word.
73: Similar layout the except the touch screen. Efx buttons are a but more complex. But if you have it already set. The trigger is the same. I can see why people are having an issue adjusting. Autoloop is on the pad. If you're doing a 4 count loop your hitting one extra button than the S9 but if your doing any other count your hitting the same amount. To be honest it's an easy mixer to use. You just have to get use to the inferace.
Feels like a solid build mixer and worth the $ you payed for it.
05spoof 6:59 PM - 6 May, 2018
Quote:
if serato ever updated the ipad remote you could have the best of both with a S9 and touch screen.

They have kind of proved its possible with the 72

+ it would be nice to have the larger screen

+100
Be even better if you could customize the layout. Like spliting the screen into 2, 3, or 4 sections. One for cues, another for fx, and one for library. An ipad vertically are like 4 of those 72 screens combined.
gfella 11:34 AM - 14 May, 2018
Lazyellow, thx for the video.

What did you think of the Rane 72 soundquality compared to the S9? I know this is subjective but I would appreciate your findings, because you have the 2 units next to each other.

If you ever played on a Rane 62, do you think the 72 is better build, because that is were my 62 lacks and is holding me against buying the 72.

Thx
lazyellow.com 11:56 AM - 14 May, 2018
Quote:

What did you think of the Rane 72 soundquality compared to the S9? I know this is subjective but I would appreciate your findings, because you have the 2 units next to each other.

If you ever played on a Rane 62, do you think the 72 is better build, because that is were my 62 lacks and is holding me against buying the 72.

Thx

The Pioneer S9 seemed to have more headroom and sounded punchy like any other Pioneer DJM, the Rane was a bit more flat but crisp and again typical Rane sound, both are hard to distort and will likely translate well on a a large system. You couldn’t really say one is better than the other but the S9 would slot in place of a club DJM easily whereas you might need to add a bit more low end to the 72, not that it’s accurate/right but it would be what the crowd/venue may expect.

Build quality wise, it feels like a step up from the 62 but the plastic pots on the knob was disappointing. I’ve not had any major concerns with the S9 personally but both the S9 and 72 if looked after and transported well will last. I had a Z2 and that had real issues with loose sockets and connections. People will moan about the paint on the S9 and in some cases the stem breaking (how i don’t know!) but the 72 and 62 have plastic carriers also so only time will tell. The 72 is huge and heavy so you just need to be weary of that. If you like the 62 the 72 will probably be a nice upgrade. Might be worth playing with both in a store but the feel of mixers is so subjective at the end of the day all the minor gripes aside both are very capable and worthy mixers. I ended up shifting the 72 as I just preferred the feel of the Magvel and workflow. In reality we don’t need all the bells and whistles in both, I mean look at the vestax PMCs, we have come a really long way!!
gfella 1:26 PM - 14 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Thx

The Pioneer S9 seemed to have more headroom and sounded punchy like any other Pioneer DJM, the Rane was a bit more flat but crisp and again typical Rane sound, both are hard to distort and will likely translate well on a a large system. You couldn’t really say one is better than the other but the S9 would slot in place of a club DJM easily whereas you might need to add a bit more low end to the 72, not that it’s accurate/right but it would be what the crowd/venue may expect.

Build quality wise, it feels like a step up from the 62 but the plastic pots on the knob was disappointing. I’ve not had any major concerns with the S9 personally but both the S9 and 72 if looked after and transported well will last. I had a Z2 and that had real issues with loose sockets and connections. People will moan about the paint on the S9 and in some cases the stem breaking (how i don’t know!) but the 72 and 62 have plastic carriers also so only time will tell. The 72 is huge and heavy so you just need to be weary of that. If you like the 62 the 72 will probably be a nice upgrade. Might be worth playing with both in a store but the feel of mixers is so subjective at the end of the day all the minor gripes aside both are very capable and worthy mixers. I ended up shifting the 72 as I just preferred the feel of the Magvel and workflow. In reality we don’t need all the bells and whistles in both, I mean look at the vestax PMCs, we have come a really long way!!

Thank you very much for this well explained post.
I really appreciate that👍

Thanks for mentioning the flatter sound of the 72, while alot of people like this, I personally don’t.
I’m still gonna check out the 72, but the S9 at this moment is more interesting to me, and you made some very good points about this mixer.
SG SOUNDS 1:43 PM - 14 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Thx

When I first powered up my 72 for the first time I immediately noticed a improvement in sound quality over my s9 and 62 mixers, I also found that the 72 had way more headroom than the s9 and more punchy low end than the s9...tested this on my srx and my jtr systems and I must say the 72 is the best sounding mixer I've ever own.

Imo and many others even the 62 sounds better than the s9..build quality the 72 is a freaking tank and I dont see nothing dissapointng in the plastic knobs..the efx paddles are die cast aluminum and just feels exceptional..

The 72 is by far a major upgrade over the 62 and the s9 period
Aptidda 3:40 PM - 14 May, 2018
Quote:

When I first powered up my 72 for the first time I immediately noticed a improvement in sound quality over my s9 and 62 mixers, I also found that the 72 had way more headroom than the s9 and more punchy low end than the s9...tested this on my srx and my jtr systems and I must say the 72 is the best sounding mixer I've ever own.

Imo and many others even the 62 sounds better than the s9..build quality the 72 is a freaking tank and I dont see nothing dissapointng in the plastic knobs..the efx paddles are die cast aluminum and just feels exceptional..

I experienced the same thing with my Rane 72. I have the option of owning any mixer on the face of this planet as I have a money tree in my back yard that is in full bloom year round. I have owned all flavors of Vestax Units, Allen and Heath Xone Mixers, Pioneer DJM everything, Rane mixers (not the 62 though) and even a Mixars unit. In my testing so far I have confirmed with myself as well as a half dozen other DJ friends that come over to mix who bring their controllers and mixers that the 72 sounds AMAZING and absolutely takes a hot steamy runny pile of brown all over the competition. My friend that I sold the S9 too asked to trade, my response was "Sure, trade and +$1899 and you have a deal".

This yellow character says he prefers the "workflow" of the S9. I say I prefer not needing a laptop and instead using my mac mini with NO SCREEN all day over hauling around a laptop. Byeeeee
gfella 5:18 PM - 14 May, 2018
RIDDIMNBLUES thx for your input.
SG SOUNDS 6:47 PM - 14 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I experienced the same thing with my Rane 72. I have the option of owning any mixer on the face of this planet as I have a money tree in my back yard that is in full bloom year round. I have owned all flavors of Vestax Units, Allen and Heath Xone Mixers, Pioneer DJM everything, Rane mixers (not the 62 though) and even a Mixars unit. In my testing so far I have confirmed with myself as well as a half dozen other DJ friends that come over to mix who bring their controllers and mixers that the 72 sounds AMAZING and absolutely takes a hot steamy runny pile of brown all over the competition. My friend that I sold the S9 too asked to trade, my response was "Sure, trade and +$1899 and you have a deal".

This yellow character says he prefers the "workflow" of the S9. I say I prefer not needing a laptop and instead using my mac mini with NO SCREEN all day over hauling around a laptop. Byeeeee

The yellow character had me worried about the work flow of the 72 when I first saw the video but when I finally got my 72 the work flow,use of efx, etc was easier than I thought..I actually had the whole mixer operation memorized in my head within a couple hours.

The one thing the yellow character war right about was the 72 efx compared to the s9..future firmware updates can fix that though..
SG SOUNDS 6:52 PM - 14 May, 2018
Quote:
RIDDIMNBLUES thx for your input.

No prob bro, if you had the 62 you're gonna love the 72..and by the way the 72 has the same soundcard as the rane MP2015 one of the best sounding if not the best sounding mixer to date..
thorissr 10:11 PM - 18 June, 2018
Ended up buying the 72 on a whim when visiting my local GC. My rep said they had received a unit they were holding for someone who never came in to pick it up. It wasn’t even in their inventory system because they were in the process of shipping it back to their warehouse.

Anyhow I have owned a S9 from the day it was released, and from playing around with the 72 for a day I will definitely have to retrain my brain (workflow wise). My initial impressions definitely echos other s9 owner’s comments when stated that the layering concept with the 72 isn’t as intuitive as the S9 when it comes to my preferred workflow. Coming from the S9 everything is cramped on the upper half of the mixer, and I do understand a mixer with as many inputs and features had to compromise on space. Especially given that it’s a battle mixer and the bottom half need to be clutter free.

I occasionally use effects and I can pretty much trigger, change, and modify effects with my eyes closed and in minimal time on my S9. As I stated earlier, I’m aware getting use to the 72s layout will come with time, and hopefully I’ll be able to embrace it for what it has to offer over the S9.

One thing that was blatantly obvious, and that is the sound!!! The sound from the 72 trumps the s9...and those who say that can’t tell the difference must be playing their sound on less than stellar sound gear. It’s on the same level as my Denon x1800 Prime mixer. The build quality is on par with what you’d expect from Rane product. The actual Flex effects pale in comparison to Pioneer’s effects.

If you have watched Yellow’s S9/72 comparison video, I agree 100% on every point he made. This isn’t to say the 72 is better than the S9 or vice versa, I think the 72 will mature over time with well executed firmwares. This will be the deciding factor on whether or not the 72 can dethrone the S9 king. If you are coming from a 62 you may have a different angle, but for a user coming from the s9 I’m eagerly waiting to see if Rane will fine tune their mixer.
Mr. Goodkat 1:00 AM - 19 June, 2018
anybody have thoughts on the sound differences between the 62-72-mp2015?
Niro 10:05 AM - 19 June, 2018
The 72 sound so much better than an S9.

The 72 uses the same processor as the 2014-2015. The 72 is currently the best sounding two channel mixer out.
WildcardX 12:30 PM - 19 June, 2018
Quote:
The 72 sound so much better than an S9.

The 72 uses the same processor as the 2014-2015. The 72 is currently the best sounding two channel mixer out.

I'd actually expect nothing less as Rane SQ has always been phenomenal.
Aptidda 6:09 PM - 19 June, 2018
Yes the phono input adjustments also are amazing, I was able to dial in my Q-Bert Ortofon's to perfection. 72 is the King no doubt about it.
DJ Jonasty 8:20 AM - 20 June, 2018
Every new mixer is always the best sounding of all time.
SG SOUNDS 10:55 AM - 20 June, 2018
Quote:

not true
Niro 5:00 AM - 21 June, 2018
Quote:

Yes, not true. This was intentional and was one of the features of the mixer, having the same sound quality as a high end rotary mixer. You can definitely hear the difference on a medium - big system. I'm wowed every week I play on it. The bass is amazing.
gfella 7:12 PM - 26 February, 2019
So I received my 72 today, and what can I say, the sound is really, really good.
Night and day compared with my 62.
This thing really delivers a fat sound, really impressed.
Vinyl preamps are no joke!
Built quality is superb, no loose pots or whatever.
Faders are also better on the 72 vs 62.
Stored cut-in value works also with vinyl, which is great, because I play a lot vinyl.

Only downside is the headphone output, that is very low, the 62 does this better, and sounds better.
I use the HD25 headphones.
In the German forum there is another user with this issue.
Is the HD25 not recommended with this mixer or is the headphone amp so weak?
dj_soo 7:32 PM - 26 February, 2019
the headphone amp is weak and dependent on the the channel gains to get more out of it. The 62 was the same imo.
gfella 9:25 PM - 26 February, 2019
Hey dj_soo

Yes, the 62 headphones amp is not the loudest but my 72 is really weak.
YZ 10:43 PM - 26 February, 2019
I mean... how loud do you guys need it? I have Technics headphones and they blast. Always keep master hovering around 75% and my channel faders at 4-5 to keep the sound clean and it's loud enough.
dj_soo 10:59 PM - 26 February, 2019
I find that it's fine if you have the gain closer to 11:00, but then you run the risk of clipping - although I never really hear audible distortion from the mixer even when hitting the reds.
YZ 3:39 PM - 28 February, 2019
Quote:
I find that it's fine if you have the gain closer to 11:00, but then you run the risk of clipping - although I never really hear audible distortion from the mixer even when hitting the reds.

Serato does a decent job of normalizing and compressing a bit to prevent clipping... if you don't crank it too high