Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

First weekend with Rane Seventy Two

Aptidda 6:37 PM - 9 April, 2018
Hello friends,

Wanted to follow up with you fine folks and give some feedback after putting the Rane 72 through its paces this past weekend.

First off I want to mention the absolute amazing rock solid build quality of the unit, everything feels right. My friends and I performed a 9.5 hour set from 7pm-4:30am. We used my late 2012 Mac Mini i7 Fusion Drive fully spec’d Apple with 16GB of ram and NO SCREEN. We switched off between using DVS/ Phono/ CD Line in and the only thing we didn’t use was the mic.

Zero crashing, zero “screen lag”, buttery waveforms, latency set at 1MS, zero problems. I am truly impressed with this incredible mixer. Knobs feel solid. Was running 4 Effects on each channel (total of 8) simultaneously with zero issues.

I am so happy I got rid of my Pioneer DJM S9 for this, in addition the ability to just plug in my mac mini and turn it on without needing any screen whatsoever is absolutely breathtaking.

I believe the unit is worth every penny, and for those out there considering getting a 72- don’t hesitate I promise you ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.

Can I get an amen?
Digitron 7:37 PM - 9 April, 2018
Amen to that my online brother.

Spent all day yesterday with it and I'm very, very happy with it. Zero problems whatsoever. I was overwhelmed by all the features at first but quickly started making my way through all them.

I'm trying to figure out a way to load a sample and have that sample play through my turntable (1200) so I can have an on-demand sample for scratching (not via the pad). That way I don't have to load the battle record I have recorded every time (with cue points).

Fader is absolutely butter too, coming from an old Vestax its nite and day. Being able to adjust he cut-in from the mixer without any disassembly.

Love it so far!
Ollieboy 1:20 AM - 10 April, 2018
How's the Effects?
skinnyguy 6:25 AM - 10 April, 2018
is your mac mini set to auto start serato when turned on?
Aptidda 5:06 PM - 10 April, 2018
Quote:
is your mac mini set to auto start serato when turned on?

The effects are insane, just the fact that you can enable up to 4 at a time is quite mond blowing and overwhelming. And yes I set my mac mini to autoboot Serato when I turn it on and it been pretty flawless so far.
Dj Hedan 7:25 PM - 10 April, 2018
Can you disable the crossfader? Say that you do a typical club gig and don't wanna skratch or mix with the crossfader. Is it possible or are u restricted to have the crossfader in the middle between channel one and two.
DJMIYAGI 9:59 PM - 10 April, 2018
Here's the new case from Odyssey if anyone is interested
www.odysseygear.com
DJ Tecniq 5:41 AM - 11 April, 2018
You mean as expensive of a mixer it is it doesn’t detect auto bpm. Very disappointing😐
DJ Tecniq 6:47 AM - 11 April, 2018
Quote:
You mean as expensive of a mixer it is it doesn’t detect auto bpm. Very disappointing😐
As a stand alone mixer (non-DVS) i meant.
Giuliano 7:24 AM - 11 April, 2018
i read a post on facebook someone said that it only support post crossfader effects for the internal effects and not not for the serato effects. Is that true ?
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:48 AM - 11 April, 2018
Bit stupid that it cannot auto detect bpm for non dvs source
DJ dVO 11:38 AM - 11 April, 2018
Quote:
Here's the new case from Odyssey if anyone is interested
www.odysseygear.com

I don't buy shiny things without a proper case anymore.

You read my mind. THANK YOU for the link!
DJ dVO 12:28 PM - 11 April, 2018
Quote:
Hello friends,

Wanted to follow up with you fine folks and give some feedback after putting the Rane 72 through its paces this past weekend.

First off I want to mention the absolute amazing rock solid build quality of the unit, everything feels right. My friends and I performed a 9.5 hour set from 7pm-4:30am. We used my late 2012 Mac Mini i7 Fusion Drive fully spec’d Apple with 16GB of ram and NO SCREEN. We switched off between using DVS/ Phono/ CD Line in and the only thing we didn’t use was the mic.

I am very surprised. Your written words are not as foul as your spoken words on the unboxing vid! ha ha.

Good to know and thanks for the quick review.
Zero crashing, zero “screen lag”, buttery waveforms, latency set at 1MS, zero problems. I am truly impressed with this incredible mixer. Knobs feel solid. Was running 4 Effects on each channel (total of 8) simultaneously with zero issues.

I am so happy I got rid of my Pioneer DJM S9 for this, in addition the ability to just plug in my mac mini and turn it on without needing any screen whatsoever is absolutely breathtaking.

I believe the unit is worth every penny, and for those out there considering getting a 72- don’t hesitate I promise you ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.

Can I get an amen?
DJ dVO 12:30 PM - 11 April, 2018
^ okay something went really wrong there. My text was removed!

Here they are:

I am surprised. Your written words are not as foul as your spoken words in the unboxing vid! Ha ha ha.

Thanks for the quick review.

Cheers!
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:58 PM - 11 April, 2018
Your text was not removed you just don't know how to break up quotes
Aptidda 3:56 PM - 11 April, 2018
Quote:
^ okay something went really wrong there. My text was removed!

Here they are:

I am surprised. Your written words are not as foul as your spoken words in the unboxing vid! Ha ha ha.

Thanks for the quick review.

Cheers!

Yes sir, must show respect to the fine folks over at Serato and do my best to behave myself. Thank you!
YZ 4:06 PM - 11 April, 2018
Quote:
Can you disable the crossfader?

Stop there, this mixer probably isn't for you... say no more lol.
Aptidda 4:09 PM - 11 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

LOL. I am sure you could open up the faceplate and disconnect the crossfader. Or you could adjust the cut in settings in the menu to the center of the fader.

That would be my suggestion.
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:19 PM - 11 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Indeed
Jmoney$ 5:55 PM - 11 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LOL. I am sure you could open up the faceplate and disconnect the crossfader. Or you could adjust the cut in settings in the menu to the center of the fader.

That would be my suggestion.

Can you post a pic of the rane software to configure the mixer?
the pioneer software had lots of options in the config utility
DJ Tecniq 5:57 PM - 11 April, 2018
Quote:
Can you disable the crossfader? Say that you do a typical club gig and don't wanna skratch or mix with the Crossfader
What kinda club gig are you doing that doesn’t require a crossfader🤔
Andrei Matei 6:34 PM - 11 April, 2018
Quote:

Lots of mix DJs blend with the upfaders vs. the crossfader. On my house nights, most of the DJs just disable the crossfader altogether. I used to blend with the crossfader when I was a novice DJ, but Rane's digital mixers in the past (61, 62, 64, 57mkII, etc.) had crossfaders that did not have smooth fade in even on the least sharp setting. Has that been "fixed" with the 72 so its more in-line with the gradual slope like Pioneers or Rane's older analog units like the 56s?
DJ Tecniq 6:37 PM - 11 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Lots of mix DJs blend with the upfaders vs. the crossfader. On my house nights, most of the DJs just disable the crossfader altogether. I used to blend with the crossfader when I was a novice DJ, but Rane's digital mixers in the past (61, 62, 64, 57mkII, etc.) had crossfaders that did not have smooth fade in even on the least sharp setting. Has that been "fixed" with the 72 so its more in-line with the gradual slope like Pioneers or Rane's older analog units like the 56s?
If that’s the case why does he want to disable the crossfader? Just keep it in the middle and mix with the upfaders. I actually use both. For just dropping in or cutting i use the crossfader. For actual mixing i mainly use the upfaders.
Dj Hedan 7:14 PM - 11 April, 2018
I mainly play list house and don't use the crossfader in clubs. Would be nice just to switch it off instead have it in the middle position all the time. Nice to have good crossfader for cutting in the home ;-)
Andrei Matei 8:54 PM - 11 April, 2018
Quote:
If that’s the case why does he want to disable the crossfader? Just keep it in the middle and mix with the upfaders. I actually use both. For just dropping in or cutting i use the crossfader. For actual mixing i mainly use the upfaders.

Probably for fear of accidentally nudging crossfader and ruining a super sweet 2 min blend. I know its happened to me...after a few beers. :)

Can anyone speak to the crossfader curve on the 72 at its most gradual setting?
DJ Bully 10:33 AM - 12 April, 2018
Haven't used a crossfader in years, upfaders all the way for me. I am not a scratch DJ.

In the mix, you have a lot more control fidelity with the upfaders.
Dave-M 12:12 PM - 12 April, 2018
I prefer the channel faders for mixing, too. I use the crossfader as well, depends what is being mixed really.
Aptidda 4:29 PM - 12 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Probably for fear of accidentally nudging crossfader and ruining a super sweet 2 min blend. I know its happened to me...after a few beers. :)

Can anyone speak to the crossfader curve on the 72 at its most gradual setting?

I tried the cross fader on the smoothest setting last night, it was a smooth fade in with full volume reached just about in the middle of the fader. Hope that helps.
Andrei Matei 7:51 PM - 12 April, 2018
Quote:
I tried the cross fader on the smoothest setting last night, it was a smooth fade in with full volume reached just about in the middle of the fader. Hope that helps.

Thanks very much for this. Looks like they may have resolved the old issues from the 61/62/64 then where it would cut in from zero to volume too fast and un-smoothly on the most gradual curve setting.

Can't wait for my local rental shop to get the order in. I'm first up to take all of this for a spin and will probably do a month-to-month for a few months to make sure I'm ready to go all in on 72s and Twelves. :)
Mr. Goodkat 9:43 PM - 13 April, 2018
whats the sound like compared to the 62 and s9 - djm 900
Dave-M 10:39 PM - 13 April, 2018
Quote:
whats the sound like compared to the 62 and s9 - djm 900

Big step up from my 56s which I always thought sounded really good. No complaints here.
Herzl 7:38 AM - 16 April, 2018
Does anyone have a good adjustment für flex fx Echo and Rewerb. What adjustment do you use?
I noticed it is very quiet compared to Seratos Echo and Rewerb.
Giuliano 9:31 AM - 16 April, 2018
Quote:
Does anyone have a good adjustment für flex fx Echo and Rewerb. What adjustment do you use?

I noticed this too. Very quiet. But sounds good.

I have problems with the crossfader. Is so hard to move
Terrence Stokes 12:24 PM - 16 April, 2018
My wave display doesn't show the cue points or beat grids on my songs that were analyzed before SDJ Pro. I have to delete and reset the cues and manually set a beat marker for them to show up on the 72 display.
lazyellow.com 7:33 PM - 22 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I set the depth to 100%, high pass at about 300 and the feedback at 55%. Its a shame really as in comparison to my S9 the hardware flex FX just don't seem to have the same build/decays - hopefully this gets fixed in an update down the line. I did a side by side in my review: youtu.be
Aptidda 3:45 PM - 23 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I set the depth to 100%, high pass at about 300 and the feedback at 55%. Its a shame really as in comparison to my S9 the hardware flex FX just don't seem to have the same build/decays - hopefully this gets fixed in an update down the line. I did a side by side in my review: youtu.be

no one wants to see your terrible video, 72 is the king. Now do as your told and show the 72 some respect.
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:06 PM - 23 April, 2018
Having test driven the 72 over the weekend I have to say I agree with lazy yellow,

Very awkward adjusting the tension of the faders they could have had a small Allen key hole to adjust them, the reverse switches feel cheap for a nearly 2k mixer, the LP/hp filters get in the way that should have been to the left/right and the screen isn't really great,

Only 1 efx per deck on real vinyl, the other efx should allow you to have them on and which ever one is selected when using vinyl should be the one routed to the flex fx so you don't have to fuck around changing them you could have 3 ready to go,

And the mixer doesn't even auto bpm if your not using serato you have to tap in a value all the time it gets annoying
Aptidda 4:07 PM - 23 April, 2018
Quote:
Having test driven the 72 over the weekend I have to say I agree with lazy yellow,

Very awkward adjusting the tension of the faders they could have had a small Allen key hole to adjust them, the reverse switches feel cheap for a nearly 2k mixer, the LP/hp filters get in the way that should have been to the left/right and the screen isn't really great,

Only 1 efx per deck on real vinyl, the other efx should allow you to have them on and which ever one is selected when using vinyl should be the one routed to the flex fx so you don't have to fuck around changing them you could have 3 ready to go,

And the mixer doesn't even auto bpm if your not using serato you have to tap in a value all the time it gets annoying

how do you tap in the BPM value? Thanks!
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:16 PM - 23 April, 2018
Shift and tap button top right of screen, and as for the awesome rane build quality the mixer faceplate wasn't even flush, the bottom left corner of the right parameter side was raised above the fader face plate, it's the little things that should have been caught by QC
Aptidda 4:28 PM - 23 April, 2018
tap what on the top right of the screen?
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:33 PM - 23 April, 2018
The button that says tap retard, or did you already throw your 72 in the trash and move on
Aptidda 4:58 PM - 23 April, 2018
Gave up and threw it in the trash Sparky.
Ollieboy 6:45 PM - 23 April, 2018
Pretty much comes down to which mixer your upgrading from. The software has outgrown the 62 hardware so I upgraded to a 72. Only reason I see leaving an S9 is if you actually use all the extra features the 72 has to offer. (Which are amazing). The scary part with the 72 is that flexible and gets better in time cause it can be improved with firmware upgrades. That being said, all we really need is 2 TT and a 2 channel mixer to rock a party.
Mr. Goodkat 7:05 PM - 23 April, 2018
Quote:
The button that says tap retard, or did you already throw your 72 in the trash and move on

things i like on the serato board: reading a snarky sparky reply then immediately looking at his profile pic
R-Tistic 10:06 AM - 5 June, 2018
So I bought one today, and so far, the most important thing for me beyond the basics (crossfaders, channel faders, etc) are the effects....and I'm not at all satisfied.

I hate the Serato FX because they're not post fader, and only giving one option for Flex FX sucks, especially if you switch effects as fast as I do. It is not made for you to switch them extremely fast, and this is a maaaaaaajor issue with me. Even with all the added bonuses and advantages over the S9, I still may end up selling the 72 for the S9 because the effects are such a huge deal for me. I am coming from the 62, and I even prefer the simplicity of that over this. Putting them in the touch screen option was just a pitiful idea overall, even if it allows you to adjust each effect in a much more detailed way.

I'm not gonna give up on it overnight, but if I don't get used to it within a week or so, or just don't enjoy using it for the effects, I'm gonna have to exchange it.
Andrei Matei 9:39 PM - 5 June, 2018
Quote:
So I bought one today, and so far, the most important thing for me beyond the basics (crossfaders, channel faders, etc) are the effects....and I'm not at all satisfied.

I hate the Serato FX because they're not post fader, and only giving one option for Flex FX sucks, especially if you switch effects as fast as I do. It is not made for you to switch them extremely fast, and this is a maaaaaaajor issue with me. Even with all the added bonuses and advantages over the S9, I still may end up selling the 72 for the S9 because the effects are such a huge deal for me. I am coming from the 62, and I even prefer the simplicity of that over this. Putting them in the touch screen option was just a pitiful idea overall, even if it allows you to adjust each effect in a much more detailed way.

I'm not gonna give up on it overnight, but if I don't get used to it within a week or so, or just don't enjoy using it for the effects, I'm gonna have to exchange it.

This. Serato FX still don't sound good. Yes, the FX switching on the 72, plus the parameter switching, feels much slower than the 62/64/68.

Make sure you rent an S9 before you buy it. You may not care for it like I didn't. EQ curves, FX, etc. are all quite a bit different. I'm stocking up on on some new, inbox 62s since the 72 is nice, but I mix way way better on a 62 for some unexplained reason...
R-Tistic 7:04 AM - 11 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

This. Serato FX still don't sound good. Yes, the FX switching on the 72, plus the parameter switching, feels much slower than the 62/64/68.

Make sure you rent an S9 before you buy it. You may not care for it like I didn't. EQ curves, FX, etc. are all quite a bit different. I'm stocking up on on some new, inbox 62s since the 72 is nice, but I mix way way better on a 62 for some unexplained reason...

Yeah, the parameter switching is absolutely pitiful. Not only is it touch screen, but they have additional random options like 1/2D and 1/2T. It’s just not effective.

Overall, I love the S9 and should have just bought that instead. I wasn’t able to demo the 72 first, which was a huge mistake.
Aptidda 3:56 PM - 11 June, 2018
I have a friend that will give you his S9 + $1500 for the 72.
R-Tistic 5:38 PM - 11 June, 2018
Quote:
I have a friend that will give you his S9 + $1500 for the 72.

Ahh where at???