DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Technics 1200s on a long flight

DJ Yagga 4:51 PM - 3 April, 2018
'Sup family,

I just came from Miami & took my Technics 1200 turntables on a flight with me, only to find out TSA & baggage handlers gave my babies THE BEATS rofl . . . luckily my decks worked flawlessly. What would you recommend a DJ who HAS TO TRAVEL cross country with this Technics 1200? - Renting is not an option: I love my decks, customized and I really give my all when I'm spinning on them...nothing can equate to "feeling at home" :D

- Have you traveled with your turntables?
- What kind of insulation did you use?
- Did your case take a beating like mines did? :D

Thanks,

Yagga.
deezlee 6:06 PM - 3 April, 2018
Use the cases with the two hard pieces of foam.
DO NOT use the kind with the soft foam ring.
It will compress and your tone arms will suffer.
DJ Yagga 11:44 PM - 7 August, 2018
Quote:
Use the cases with the two hard pieces of foam.
DO NOT use the kind with the soft foam ring.
It will compress and your tone arms will suffer.

Thanks for taking time to reply to this :)
RR437T 2:21 AM - 8 August, 2018
Remove the tonearm. Also the platter, if it comes off easy.
Aptidda 4:07 PM - 8 August, 2018
- Have you traveled with your turntables? yes

- What kind of insulation did you use? odyssey cases

- Did your case take a beating like mines did? yes

what kind of mindless post is this? put your turntables in "flight" cases. A "flight" case is meant to put turntables in and protect them.....
Ulrich von Hurtem 10:05 PM - 8 August, 2018
Most "Flight" cases are a joke.

Be sure to remove, and pack separately: Platter, mat, counterweight, headshell, 45 adapter.
Twist tie the tonearm to its perch.

Ensure that the bottom is resting on foam, not the feet. (the reverse is true, while playing)

The top of the deck must be supported, in a way that avoids contact with the tonearm, buttons, pitch, power knob... And, platter, but you're already packed it separately.
Aptidda 10:09 PM - 8 August, 2018
moving forward I refuse to use flight cases. Gives me a reason to buy the new Technics 1200's.
DJ Yagga 12:23 AM - 5 September, 2018
Quote:

what kind of mindless post is this? put your turntables in "flight" cases. A "flight" case is meant to put turntables in and protect them.....

I'm just trying to get other DJs' perspective on how to fly with their turntables :)
17tr2 11:56 AM - 5 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I'm just trying to get other DJs' perspective on how to fly with their turntables :)

Ignore him. They kicked him off this website a few days ago for all his helpful comments.
PumpkinHead 8:10 PM - 9 September, 2018
I've traveled with my 1200's on multiple 11+ hour flights. I have the Odyssey flight cases and my 1200's were just fine. I was worried the entire flight expecting the worst when opening the case, but each time they have been unscathed.
DJ Klyph 6:02 PM - 11 September, 2018
Always wondered about this, felt like I'd want to lock my cases but can't with TSA rules.
deezlee 7:52 PM - 11 September, 2018
However you pack them, make sure it's real simple. I packed mine complexly and they searched then repacked them sloppy and effed my tone arms.
SUBSTANCE 8:31 PM - 24 October, 2018
When I travelled with a band I padded out the flight cases out with a few t-shirts from the merch box.