DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Would my speakers do the job?

Sammy Shammy 8:09 PM - 22 February, 2018
Hello,

I’m still fairly new to DJing and on a low budget. I’ve just been asked if I could do a gig. He says the hall is “quite big, like a 5-a-side football pitch” and asked if my speakers and amps can play to it. And I’ve honestly no idea... I “think” it would but I don’t want to say it will then get there and find out it doesn’t and let them down

The occasion is an amateur boxing club’s home show, and the speakers and amp I have are these:
Speakers -> Malone 8 Inch Passive Speaker 1000 W Max Pair
Amp -> Skytec SPL500
I don’t really know what all this means, it was advertised as being able to play to small and medium sized rooms?

I have done 4 gigs in the last year (not a lot I know) with these speakers but they were in like small pub style wedding room rentals. The sound though, was brilliant and was only using the sound at the mid-range and that was loud enough. So I am unsure if they will reach around a hall “the size of a 5 a side football pitch” I don’t even know how big that means?

So do any experienced DJ’s know if my speakers would be loud enough to fill the room? I don’t want it to be as loud as it would be if you were a club or anything.

Also, I need to buy a microphone so I can announce the boxers to the ring and I haven’t a clue which kind would be best to get? Should I get wireless or corded? And would I need to get another set of speakers to use just for the microphone? Or could I connect it to the back of the amp to use with the current speakers I have? Like I said, I’m fairly new to DJing and only had 4 gigs which were just birthday parties and one wedding in a really small room.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. But like I said before, I am on a limited income at the minute, but looking to add to my equipment a bit so I can get more bookings to earn more so I can invest more into it and not just do small party rooms.

Thanks in advance :)
RANDYG 8:52 PM - 22 February, 2018
I would recommend that you rent some higher powered speakers for an event like that. 8" speakers and a 500 W max power amp will not cut it, especially when you get some bodies in there. We are 75% water and good at absorbing sound.

In regards to your mic, cordless is your best bet. Hook it into your mixer or controller and you can use the same speakers to play music and announce the fighters as they enter.

As far as limited income goes, this is an expensive hobby and even more expensive job once you get serious. If you can't swing the cost of equipment, see if you can find someone to do the gig with you that has adequate equipment and offer a percentage of the proceeds. Win win for everyone. You satisfy the client, you put someone to work and everyone gets paid.

Good luck!
dj_soo 10:47 PM - 22 February, 2018
It won't be enough. Rent the gear and include the rental fee - plus extra for labour and transport - in your quote.
desmorider 4:30 AM - 23 February, 2018
Quote:
Hello,

I’m still fairly new to DJing and on a low budget. I’ve just been asked if I could do a gig. He says the hall is “quite big, like a 5-a-side football pitch” and asked if my speakers and amps can play to it. And I’ve honestly no idea... I “think” it would but I don’t want to say it will then get there and find out it doesn’t and let them down

The occasion is an amateur boxing club’s home show, and the speakers and amp I have are these:
Speakers -> Malone 8 Inch Passive Speaker 1000 W Max Pair
Amp -> Skytec SPL500
I don’t really know what all this means, it was advertised as being able to play to small and medium sized rooms?

I have done 4 gigs in the last year (not a lot I know) with these speakers but they were in like small pub style wedding room rentals. The sound though, was brilliant and was only using the sound at the mid-range and that was loud enough. So I am unsure if they will reach around a hall “the size of a 5 a side football pitch” I don’t even know how big that means?

So do any experienced DJ’s know if my speakers would be loud enough to fill the room? I don’t want it to be as loud as it would be if you were a club or anything.

Also, I need to buy a microphone so I can announce the boxers to the ring and I haven’t a clue which kind would be best to get? Should I get wireless or corded? And would I need to get another set of speakers to use just for the microphone? Or could I connect it to the back of the amp to use with the current speakers I have? Like I said, I’m fairly new to DJing and only had 4 gigs which were just birthday parties and one wedding in a really small room.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. But like I said before, I am on a limited income at the minute, but looking to add to my equipment a bit so I can get more bookings to earn more so I can invest more into it and not just do small party rooms.

Thanks in advance :)

How much will this gig pay? Roll rental into the price you charge.
pdidy 4:49 AM - 23 February, 2018
Find someone who's qualified to do the gig and learn from them.......It only takes one FUCK-UP to destroy your career for many years.
eugguy 5:06 PM - 23 February, 2018
On the flip side, if you don't have a career to begin with, your fuck-up won't have anything to destroy. Would probably give the gig away, maybe take a finders fee. Or do it properly and invest or rent proper equipment.
Gio Alex 6:00 PM - 23 February, 2018
Quote:
On the flip side, if you don't have a career to begin with, your fuck-up won't have anything to destroy. Would probably give the gig away, maybe take a finders fee. Or do it properly and invest or rent proper equipment.

And that's the real spin on things folks. Pun intended.
Gio Alex 6:01 PM - 23 February, 2018
Quote:
It won't be enough. Rent the gear and include the rental fee - plus extra for labour and transport - in your quote.

This.