DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Is the Rane 62 worth buying today in 2018?

Flava Matikz 3:16 PM - 11 February, 2018
I see a used Rane 62 on sale for $1200. Is it worth buying in todays day and age? Is it a good buy? Pros and cons?
StylesD 3:39 PM - 11 February, 2018
yes but that's a bit steep. i wouldn't drop over 1k.

pros: can use both scratch live and SDJ, great onboard effects.

cons: not the best sounding mixer in the world. good for home studio use, not so much for the club. s9 sound is worlds better.
Flava Matikz 4:15 PM - 11 February, 2018
Quote:

cons: not the best sounding mixer in the world. good for home studio use, not so much for the club. s9 sound is worlds better.

Thanks for the reply. I got it down to $1,025 inclusive of a decksaver and a stainless faceplate. What ya think?
Mr. Goodkat 9:35 PM - 11 February, 2018
Quote:

i'd say that opinion is about 50/50 - personally think the rane sounds much better
lvmez 11:03 PM - 11 February, 2018
Quote:
s9 sound is worlds better.

LOL!! No way.

You cant't go wrong with the 62 but I would wait and get a 72 (I have see 62's for $900). Stay away from the S9, it's depreciating faster than Bitcoin.

Good luck either way.
dj_soo 11:16 AM - 12 February, 2018
yea, I think the 62 sounds better than the S9 as well
Aptidda 4:31 PM - 12 February, 2018
lowball the guy for $800. Good luck!
ral 4:39 PM - 12 February, 2018
$750 - lol

yep, rane sounds better than pio (i had 62, now s9, waiting for 72....)
R-Tistic 5:53 PM - 12 February, 2018
Wow. I tried to sell mine a year ago, maybe 18 months ago, and NOBODY would bite at $1,200. Some folks offered $800, and I told them no.
Mr. Goodkat 7:54 PM - 12 February, 2018
i sold my for 925 on ebay about 4 months ago
Mr. Goodkat 7:55 PM - 12 February, 2018
oh, but weirdly there are alot of 61's out there at GC's and other big name stores(sam ash comes to mind), but they all wanted around 900-100 for 61's which was weird. They wouldnt budge on the price either.
StylesD 8:53 PM - 12 February, 2018
i guess to each is own. love my 62 but no way the sound output is as nice as pioneer units. anyway, still a great mixer and worth it if you can get a nice price like the guys say.
Mr. Goodkat 11:36 PM - 12 February, 2018
s9 sounded better than the 900 but not even close to the rane.

put it on a big system, the bass don't lie
dj_soo 2:47 AM - 13 February, 2018
The s9 bumps up the highs a great deal so a lot of people think it sounds better just due to the illusion that louder = better. Listen on a bigger system, in headphones, or studio monitors and I think the 62 has a warmer, fuller sound across the spectrum while the pioneer sounds a little thin in the lows and low mids.
desmorider 3:08 AM - 13 February, 2018
Quote:

Huh? You think the s9 sounds better? Not to me, and I have both.
SG SOUNDS 3:10 AM - 13 February, 2018
Quote:

no way in hell the s9 sounds better than the 62...i have both and im telling you the 62 sounds better...there is no pioneer mixer in existence that sounds better than a rane mixer
Robbie O 3:28 AM - 13 February, 2018
Quote:
oh, but weirdly there are alot of 61's out there at GC's and other big name stores(sam ash comes to mind), but they all wanted around 900-100 for 61's which was weird. They wouldnt budge on the price either.

I just bought a 61 for $500 on ebay after unsuccessfully trying to low ball 62ers lol. I have an s9, but was looking for a only at home/backup mixer. I'm really curious to do a side by side analysis of both sounds now...
HighTopFade 3:35 AM - 13 February, 2018
If you get a 62, be sure it's manufactured 11/2013 and newer.
Mr. Goodkat 4:49 AM - 13 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I just bought a 61 for $500 on ebay after unsuccessfully trying to low ball 62ers lol. I have an s9, but was looking for a only at home/backup mixer. I'm really curious to do a side by side analysis of both sounds now...

get back to me, i ended up with 62s, which isnt exactly what i wanted, but it was 270$ so its a hold over until i see what happens with the 72 or used s9s
desmorider 12:17 PM - 13 February, 2018
You got a 62 for $270?
Gio Alex 4:08 PM - 13 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I'll buy that 61 back from you for 5 hunnid. lemme get that lol
Mr. Goodkat 6:52 PM - 13 February, 2018
Quote:
You got a 62 for $270?

opps i meant a 56s, i actually sold by 62
gfella 6:37 PM - 14 February, 2018
From all the battle mixers I've owned, the original 56 sounded the best to me.
Bass was awesome.
When playing out I linked my 909 through the 56 just to get better sound.
Altough this did not sounded as good as a 56 standalone, it sure did sound better than a 909 standalone.
But then again, the 909 had other qualities😉

I have the 62 five years now and really like the layout, soundwise I always found the bass on the thin side, to much for my taste, but nothing I can do about it.
Since almost everybody raves about the 62's sound, I just think I have a lesser unit, which can happen and explanes the subpar buildquality.
Never heard the S9 in direct comparisation.
But man, really regret selling the 56.
DJ Tracktion 1:05 AM - 28 February, 2018
I have the 62 and S9 (and a 57 collecting dust).

62 sounds better.

Def still worth buying but I wouldn't pay over 1k either (for a used one).

Got my 62 a couple years ago for that much and my S9 like one year ago for the same price.

Super interested in the 72. Not sure which one I'd get rid of though. S9 is my studio mixer and 62 is what I gig out with so may keep the S9 home, sell the 62 and make the 72 the gig mixer.....we'll see.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:11 AM - 2 March, 2018
Quote:
s9 sound is worlds better.

Wait, what? lol.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:13 AM - 2 March, 2018
Quote:

Say that again, they just don't understand.....

Had an S9 hooked up for a battle I hosted in January vs. my normal Rane 56S and SL3...

Good FUNCTIONING MIXER, but compared to a Rane? Man listen....
dj_soo 5:32 AM - 2 March, 2018
The pioneer feels like it has a shelf boost of the highs around 7 or 8k which sounds "brighter" immediately which is why I think some people think it sounds better, but the lows can't even compare to the Rane mixers.
WildcardX 12:03 PM - 2 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Say that again, they just don't understand.....

Had an S9 hooked up for a battle I hosted in January vs. my normal Rane 56S and SL3...

Good FUNCTIONING MIXER, but compared to a Rane? Man listen....

Glad it's not me alone (S9 vs SL3 for me).
Dj Ace 9:25 PM - 2 March, 2018
Rane hands down on a quality system
R-Tistic 12:31 AM - 3 March, 2018
I keep hearing that the 62 sounds better than the S9, but I haven't been able to tell the difference.

Does it only matter in huge venues with legit sound? Like, if I connect both to two Eons or something basic, can you tell?

I can say, I DJ at Silent Parties which use a RCA input for each DJ (which already sucks), and the S9 sounds WAY, way way way better than the 62 for some reason.
thorissr 12:03 PM - 4 March, 2018
Quote:
I keep hearing that the 62 sounds better than the S9, but I haven't been able to tell the difference.

Does it only matter in huge venues with legit sound? Like, if I connect both to two Eons or something basic, can you tell?

I can say, I DJ at Silent Parties which use a RCA input for each DJ (which already sucks), and the S9 sounds WAY, way way way better than the 62 for some reason.

Sounding good is more of a subjective term rather than fact, and it really depends on what you thinks sounds better. Now I will say that the 62 sounds “full” and “punchy” with the DJM series exhibiting more warmth. My DJM 900nexus2 is on another level as it has a sound that’s out of this world. It as if it has the right rails of the 62 all while sounding warm. Another mixer that’s on its level is the Denon x1800 prime....that mixer has phenomenal sound on par with the 900 mk2 or better...just my subjective opinion.
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:46 PM - 4 March, 2018
Quote:
I see a used Rane 62 on sale for $1200. Is it worth buying in todays day and age? Is it a good buy? Pros and cons?

What about future support. I haven't seen any firmware updates since Rane got bought.

That will be my biggest concern with buying the 62 in 18

I have both the 62 and S9

S9 is my road mixer as I like having all the pads without needing connect an extra accessory ie SP1.

Even though my 62 is meant to be the studio mixer i often swap it out for the S9.

The 62 is a bit limited feature wise e.g. I have access to 6 sampler despite Serato having 8. It doesn't have auto bpm detect for analogue sources e.g. playing regular vinyl or media players direct (via RCA)