DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Whoah! Possible game changing device here >>> PHASE

HARO 9:33 PM - 25 January, 2018
Logisticalstyles 9:53 PM - 25 January, 2018
Guess I won't be needing that Rane Twelve now.
HARO 10:17 PM - 25 January, 2018
Yep, same here I'm afraid since Rane decided for whatever unknown reason to 1) orient the TWELVE battle style only and not offer traditional style even though the overwhelming majority of DJs use TTs traditional style, and B) Rane also decided for whatever unknown reason to not recess the power and USB ports so it's impossible to rotate the decks traditional style and have the left deck butt up flush against mixer. How they missed these glaringly obvious design flaws I have no idea, but it's unfortunate and has cost them sales.
djcrap 10:31 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:

Wireless equals other devices interfering with other wireless devices which equals picking up wrong signals from other devices or problems! Or lags in hand to record movements
Let's hope that is not the case
dj_soo 10:33 PM - 25 January, 2018
While I plan on getting some if they work properly, I'd worry a bit about battery life as well as, to a lesser extent, the adhesive for sticking the unit to the vinyl. The big draw of the Twelves is having no more regular maintenance costs in regularly replacing needles and vinyl. If that switched to regularly replacing batteries and adhesive stickers, it will be cheaper, but still annoying.

Also hope the battery is user replaceable on the units and not hardwired like you'd see in a lot of newer electronics with rechargeable batteries. LI batteries eventually drain so what happens when the batteries go down in performance? Do you have to send it in to be replaced? Buy a new set?

I could see this being a godsend for touring DJs who still use turntables especially considering the shape of a lot of decks can be a crapshoot from club to club.

At the end of the day, this is still a timecode product and the Twelves are bringing things to HID finally which offers a bit more integration with the software than traditional timecode.

I still plan on picking this up if it reviews well cause I think this would be amazing for touring and festivals...
Mr. Goodkat 10:33 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Wireless equals other devices interfering with other wireless devices which equals picking up wrong signals from other devices or problems! Or lags in hand to record movements

the vids are from namm, they used them in a room full of wireless devices. DJTT said they wouldnt give much info other than they have some sort of bandwidth that others arent on, not sure what that would be
Mr. Goodkat 10:35 PM - 25 January, 2018
said it had a 10 hr battery life per use, but didnt see if it was replaceable or not
djcrap 10:42 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the vids are from namm, they used them in a room full of wireless devices. DJTT said they wouldnt give much info other than they have some sort of bandwidth that others arent on, not sure what that would be

Interesting

Still curious how heavy it is? In terms of how much weight does it put on the vinyl? If so would it change the feel a little bit into heavy handedness
dj_soo 10:44 PM - 25 January, 2018
My guess is that it isn't given the size of the units and the way the receiver also acts as the charger. That said, likely just the turntable unit replacements might be cheaper than having to buy a whole unit.

This article said they're using a proprietary wireless protocal so it might not be prone to interference.

djtechtools.com
djcrap 10:49 PM - 25 January, 2018
Never mind I like what am seeing so far

www.facebook.com
djcrap 10:54 PM - 25 January, 2018
What will be interesting is if there is away of slapping those phaser remotes onto my denon Dj 3900s

Now that would be heaven
lvmez 11:02 PM - 25 January, 2018
If these are priced at $150 each, Rane Twelves are going to tank in sales. Even the sales of M-44-7's will drop.
v@l 11:05 PM - 25 January, 2018
djcrap you just read my mind
djcrap 11:11 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
If these are priced at $150 each, Rane Twelves are going to tank in sales. Even the sales of M-44-7's will drop.

In an effort to save its hardware partners sales I think serato will find a way to block phaser is access to its software. Either that or phaser join the serato family and pay licensing fees for access or to use serato software
dj_soo 11:13 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
What will be interesting is if there is away of slapping those phaser remotes onto my denon Dj 3900s

Now that would be heaven

Why? Wouldn't it be doing the exact same thing as Hybrid mode only you have an additional piece of hardware you'd run through?
djcrap 11:13 PM - 25 January, 2018
^^^ just conspiracy theories might happen may not
dj_soo 11:15 PM - 25 January, 2018
it's doing the same thing as the denon players in that they aren't using the official Serato tone and using a recreation of it. At the end of the day, it's still timecode tho - just the method of delivery of timecode is different.

Since the Denon's already generate their own tone, it seems like you wouldn't get anything out of attaching the Phase to the 3900s other than maybe added latency and worrying about keeping them charged.
jprime 11:17 PM - 25 January, 2018
This looks like an incredible idea. Really excited to check this out.
djcrap 11:20 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Now that would be heaven

Why? Wouldn't it be doing the exact same thing as Hybrid mode only you have an additional piece of hardware you'd run through?

It would

But what I meant was for the phaser being able to fit on the 3900s
Would it fit in the 3900s spindle pole just like it does on tt
How much space would be left from the edge of the phaser remote to the denon vinyl
How would it fit
dj_soo 11:21 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

In an effort to save its hardware partners sales I think serato will find a way to block phaser is access to its software. Either that or phaser join the serato family and pay licensing fees for access or to use serato software

there's no way to really do that unless they change how the timecode works - which could render old control vinyl useless - which they aren't going to do. All this thing does is deleiver a timecode signal to the mixer/serato box. There's no direct access to the software.
dj_soo 11:22 PM - 25 January, 2018
What it could do is potentially eat into Serato's control vinyl sales tho...
djcrap 11:26 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
it's doing the same thing as the denon players in that they aren't using the official Serato tone and using a recreation of it. At the end of the day, it's still timecode tho - just the method of delivery of timecode is different.

Since the Denon's already generate their own tone, it seems like you wouldn't get anything out of attaching the Phase to the 3900s other than maybe added latency and worrying about keeping them charged.

There would be no latency if you don't connect the denons rca cables to the mixer. But instead replace that with the phase is connections. All you will be using the denons for is platter info.
popnwave 11:28 PM - 25 January, 2018
The TWELVES and these are great!!!

Already got TTs that you love? Hop on the Phase train!

Don't feel like messing with TTs period? Hop on the TWELVES!
dj_soo 11:34 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

There would be no latency if you don't connect the denons rca cables to the mixer. But instead replace that with the phase is connections. All you will be using the denons for is platter info.

you'd have more latency because you're relying on a wireless transmission of a signal rather than a straight audio signal from your denons to the mixer via rca cable.
dj_soo 11:35 PM - 25 January, 2018
I think I'd prefer to play on the twelves because I think HID has tighter integration, but I'd be more inclined to buy these.
dj_soo 11:36 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

basically you're replacing an RCA cable with a $200-$300 wireless transmitter and a receiver. Seems completely pointless to me.
popnwave 11:40 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:

basically you're replacing an RCA cable with a $200-$300 wireless transmitter and a receiver. Seems completely pointless to me.

Still less wear and tear on needles and scopes, in theory, would be a non issue in your setup. But if the latency isn't spot on (think of that lame ass laser controller we saw a while back) it will suck.
dj_soo 11:40 PM - 25 January, 2018
I'm specifically talking about using them on the Denon SC3900 - which already generates its own tone internally.

For turntables, this shit is incredible.
popnwave 11:42 PM - 25 January, 2018
Hmm I could see someone trying that, I guess as long as the RPM is right you could pull it off?
dj_soo 11:44 PM - 25 January, 2018
I'm sure you could make it work - the question is why?

The SC3900 already does what the Phase is doing but without having to introduce a wireless signal or an extra piece of hardware in the chain?
djcrap 11:47 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you'd have more latency because you're relying on a wireless transmission of a signal rather than a straight audio signal from your denons to the mixer via rca cable.

In This live stream of the phase on Facebook I don't see any latency issues

www.facebook.com
dj_soo 11:50 PM - 25 January, 2018
could be the difference between cutting at 1ms buffer and 5ms buffer. Might not affect some people, but might affect others.

But the crux of it is that there's absolutely zero advantage to using the Phase on a denon 3900 over just using hybrid mode. The Denon 3900 *already does what the phase does on its own.* The only thing you can do with the phase that you can't with Hybrid mode is pick up the record and shake it around and still have it send signal.
Illiment 11:51 PM - 25 January, 2018
this would definitely be a dope plan b to have in your bag if the tt's are a mess wherever you end up. I would think they probably charge via micro usb
dj_soo 11:52 PM - 25 January, 2018
the receiver box is also a charging station for the sticks
DJ GaFFle 12:17 AM - 26 January, 2018
So if you scratch only, the Phase seems great. But, if you cut, backspin, etc... you'll be apt to kick around the Phase dongle because it sits right where one usually rewinds the record. I wonder how you get pass this issue...

At this point, the Twelve seem like the best solution for turntable guys but this Phase product seems like a great idea.
DJ GaFFle 12:19 AM - 26 January, 2018
Seems like they'd need to make the length of the Phase plugs MUCH smaller (perhaps circular) to allow you to rewind the vinyl and not hit the plug.
DaltonSR20 12:56 AM - 26 January, 2018
Pioneer is totally going to jack this idea and create their own sensors or sensors built into Rekordbox vinyl and release all new mixers and controllers than can pick up the signals.
Mr. Goodkat 1:15 AM - 26 January, 2018
Quote:
Seems like they'd need to make the length of the Phase plugs MUCH smaller (perhaps circular) to allow you to rewind the vinyl and not hit the plug.

good point, only a matter of time im sure
djcrap 2:21 AM - 26 January, 2018
Quote:
I'm sure you could make it work - the question is why?

The SC3900 already does what the Phase is doing but without having to introduce a wireless signal or an extra piece of hardware in the chain?

Sticker drift on the 3900s is so damn annoying:D 👀👀
dj_spark 6:34 AM - 26 January, 2018
It will be going for a price of 250€ ($ too ?) for the box and 2 antennas.

The weight shouldn't be an issue as it is located in the center, so torque wise it won't be such an issue as if it was peripheral weight.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:24 AM - 26 January, 2018
Quote:
Pioneer is totally going to jack this idea and create their own sensors or sensors built into Rekordbox vinyl and release all new mixers and controllers than can pick up the signals.

Totally.
popnwave 3:34 PM - 26 January, 2018
That price point is NOT bad at all to be able to set up TTs that you are comfy on already.

I will give NAMM credit this year, seeing this and the TWELVES are two different angles that should get plenty of love.
HARO 3:51 PM - 26 January, 2018
Considering the overwhelming majority of turntables I've encountered at venues and events sadly look as if they've been dragged on a dirt road behind a truck, they're all suspect and I have zero confidence in their mechanical condition and calibration, so a device like this would eliminate much of that concern because it completely bypasses all the ubiquitous issues found out in the field such as abused tonearms, corroded headshell contacts, jacked-up calibration, janky RCA and grounding cables, resonance, feedback, etc.

If this thing does what they say it does without any hiccups, bravo to the developers.
DaltonSR20 5:50 PM - 26 January, 2018
If they can get this to the shape of a 45 adapter (yeah i know... pretty much steal the Rane Twelve's sensor physically lol) so it's smaller, symmetrical and, and functional (as a real 45 adapter) and put a laser target light like this:

www.senseihaus.com

Done!
jprime 6:41 PM - 26 January, 2018
Quote:
If they can get this to the shape of a 45 adapter (yeah i know... pretty much steal the Rane Twelve's sensor physically lol) so it's smaller, symmetrical and, and functional (as a real 45 adapter) and put a laser target light like this:

www.senseihaus.com

Done!

What about incorporating the technology inside it's own record :)
HK1200 6:50 PM - 26 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

www.senseihaus.com

Done!

What about incorporating the technology inside it's own record :)

And have lines that light up on the vinyl for cue points!
SUBSTANCE 2:46 AM - 28 January, 2018
Very very clever.
These will be great for backing live performances. Not having to fault check every 1200 you meet on the road is huge. Even established venues let their TT’s get into pretty bad shape, especially with the amount of DJs using controllers / CDJs. The technics are used more as laptop stands, if they’re even set up.
With these, you just have to make sure a deck goes around and check the pitch slider. Even a deck with a bent tone arm & faulty RCAs would be fine.
Without having to bring the needle back every 10-15 mins, or watch the grey tracking bar like a hawk, or remove fluff balls... you would be free to - just play music. Not revolutionary for HID users but pretty cool to open that up to rekkid players.
Chino 10:17 PM - 28 January, 2018
Quote:
For turntables, this shit is incredible.

+1
Chino 10:19 PM - 28 January, 2018
Quote:
If they can get this to the shape of a 45 adapter (yeah i know... pretty much steal the Rane Twelve's sensor physically lol) so it's smaller, symmetrical and, and functional (as a real 45 adapter)

This is a really good idea!!