DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Inherited a sound system

Logisticalstyles 2:18 AM - 7 January, 2018
I recently inherited a sound system that came out of a club.
It consists of:
4 Community xlt-47 (3 with brand new crossovers)
2 Community cpl-24 (both blown)
1 Peavey 15" folded horn sub.(blown)

The amp rack has:
1 Furman power conditioner
1 Odyysey Rack light / Power strip
1 dbx 1231 EQ
1 dbx 266XL Compressor
1 dbx 223 Cossover
1 Symetrix 525 Compressor/Limiter
1 Behringer Composer Pro
1 Behringer Eurolive EP1500
1 Behringer Eurolive EP2500
1 QSC MX 700
1 QSC RMX 2450

Right now I want to be able to use just the 4 working Community XLT-47 speakers. I'll eventually get the Peavey sub and the CPL-24 fixed but for now the XLT-47 are enough for me to do some gigs with. Currently I'm just using the EQ and running it into the Behringer Eurolive EP1500. Where should I add the compressor? Does it go before or after the EQ? I'm not using the crossover since I don't have a sub but if I did where would that fit in the equation?
Logisticalstyles 2:20 AM - 7 January, 2018
*edit* CPL42 is the correct model number
fvckJuly 8:09 AM - 8 January, 2018
would much rather use the QSC's instead of the Behringers. no front, but I'd say apart from the dbx rack gear, they are about the only really good pieces in this setup. the peavey could be very nice for kick bass, but I'm not sure if you don't already have enough(/too much?) of that with the dual 15" tops. if I were you, I'd fix the blown CPL42s and flip all the Community speakers to get a sub/top combo, can't imagine gigging with 4x double 15"s and you could probably get a better sound using 2x 18" subs and 2-4 12" tops. this way, you can keep using the dbx gear to drive the QSC power amps. would sell the Symetrix as there's no real point in having dual compressors and the dbx is probably more reliable, given its age. would probably keep the Behringers for now as it's always good to have backups around and they're definitely not _that_ bad.
Logisticalstyles 3:35 PM - 8 January, 2018
Yeah, definitely looking to flip some of this gear. I can't imagine using it for regular gigs. I might look into doing some park jams this summer.

This is some very heavy gear and would probably do better as a permanent installation.
pdidy 1:50 AM - 9 January, 2018
Quote:
This is some very heavy gear and would probably do better as a permanent installation.

BINGO.....permanent installation.

pretty much everything is outdated and extremely heavy by today's standards. I just don't see this being a wise investment of your time and energy for mobile dj use, I would sell everything.
DJ Guayo 7:34 PM - 9 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

BINGO.....permanent installation.

pretty much everything is outdated and extremely heavy by today's standards. I just don't see this being a wise investment of your time and energy for mobile dj use, I would sell everything.

Shid... it was free equipment right? money in the bank .
Logisticalstyles 9:33 PM - 9 January, 2018
I've inherited the system but unfortunately I can't sell it. I can use it for whatever I want but I can't sell it. This definitely won't be my everyday mobile DJ system. I already have my own speakers so this would just be supplemental stuff for bigger gigs or if I should end up one day owning my own bar/club.