Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Allen & Heath Xone DB2 / Club Kit / DVS Help

Hmmz 9:06 PM - 3 January, 2018
Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I have latest Serato DJ + Club Kit / DVS activated and installed on Windows 10 system (Quad Core i7 3.6Ghz 16GB RAM) and connected via USB a Allen & Heath Xone DB2 (Serato DVS Ready Mixer) I have the latest firmware installed and the mixer shows up in Serato and the audio is coming through the channels fine but the crossfader is unresponsive ??

Have I something set up wrong?

Please help.
Clubber1970 3:14 AM - 4 January, 2018
Please check the position of the x/y fx-switches of each channel. Try for example channel 1 and 2 on position X and channel 3 and 4 on Y.
And check the settings in the configuration menu for crossfader behavior.
Also try a factory reset of the mixer which can be done over the config menu.
Hmmz 5:01 PM - 4 January, 2018
The position of the x/y switches is central. I've tried moving it to x/y but there is no change to the crossfader. Why would it be the x/y switch? my understanding is that the x/y switch is for filter effects selection.
Hmmz 6:09 PM - 4 January, 2018
OK ive now managed to get it half working but now its deck 1 constantly on and fades in the deck 2 channel. I must be missing something or have a set wrong somewhere surely? I can't mix like this :(
Clubber1970 6:45 PM - 4 January, 2018
The x/y switch is responsible for both fx assignment and x-fader assignment
Clubber1970 6:53 PM - 4 January, 2018
If you want to fade from channel 1 to channel 2 than you have the fx switch on channel 1 on ‚x‘ and on channel 2 on ‚y‘
Hmmz 7:06 PM - 4 January, 2018
when but the switch to 'y' on channel 2 I loose audio all together, the audio is only on x or mix. The same with channel 1.
Clubber1970 7:21 PM - 4 January, 2018
Hmm, that sounds strange. Did you checked the correct input settings on the top input Selection? If there is everything correct and you made already a factory reset i would suggest that contect the A&H support. Sorry I can not help you further.
Hmmz 2:56 PM - 5 January, 2018
I reinstalled the firmware again and it seems to of solved the channel issue but now when connected to serato i cannot get the mixers internal x/y effects to no longer work.

I cannot get the DVS to work with turntables connected either. Serato is a nightmare up to now
onthe1 3:02 PM - 6 January, 2018
I'm having issues with my db2 as well. The firmware breaks any program, including Serato, that I connect to. I can't reinstall or uninstall the firmware and it only functions as an analog mixer right now. I've been trying to resolve it through a help ticket with Allen & Heath or their local distributor but their service is not very helpful.

Their online forum, the Xone forum, seems to be offline for some reason as well.

The effects and routing on this thing are amazing but the software support seems to be lacking.

Anyway, did you check the cascade feature in advanced set-up? It might have turned off when you did the factory reset. You might want to try that. I don't usually use my crossfader and without my firmware working I can't check it in Serato right now but I think with that set-up you should be able to use both effects with the way you have it set up. Otherwise, yeah, you have to use the x/y switches to assign the crossfader OR the effects at any given time.
onthe1 3:18 PM - 6 January, 2018
*That is, the x/y switches control both
TimmyPell 7:35 PM - 6 January, 2018
Quote:
The position of the x/y switches is central. I've tried moving it to x/y but there is no change to the crossfader. Why would it be the x/y switch? my understanding is that the x/y switch is for filter effects selection.

The three way toggle on each channel will assign the channel to effects engine X or Y or none. But it also sets the side of the crossfader that the given channel is assigned to. X < >Y or in the middle of the toggle is Thru. (not assigned)

Update the firmware to v2.2.2. Then factory reset the mixer in the advance settings.
Update 2.2.2 is good because it allows you to setup each channel as either Filter or EQ. previously it was all channels are setup as filter or EQ.

Be careful with latency settings. I had some bad experiences when using it with SDJ using DVS in that if the latency is set too low. Below 256 samples on my Win10 laptop the audio would drop out and the playing deck would simply stop! it wouldn't just stutter.. It totally stopped.

I loved my DB2, but ultimately the whole it's and EQ or a Filter thing ended up being annoying and lead me to get rid of it in favour of a DJM-850.

Good Luck with it. ;-)
onthe1 8:54 AM - 7 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

The three way toggle on each channel will assign the channel to effects engine X or Y or none. But it also sets the side of the crossfader that the given channel is assigned to. X < >Y or in the middle of the toggle is Thru. (not assigned)

Update the firmware to v2.2.2. Then factory reset the mixer in the advance settings.
Update 2.2.2 is good because it allows you to setup each channel as either Filter or EQ. previously it was all channels are setup as filter or EQ.

Be careful with latency settings. I had some bad experiences when using it with SDJ using DVS in that if the latency is set too low. Below 256 samples on my Win10 laptop the audio would drop out and the playing deck would simply stop! it wouldn't just stutter.. It totally stopped.

I loved my DB2, but ultimately the whole it's and EQ or a Filter thing ended up being annoying and lead me to get rid of it in favour of a DJM-850.

Good Luck with it. ;-)

Care to comment on how do you like the 850 in comparison? Do you miss the db2 effects and versatility? I'm planning on using mine with production in the future and don't use dvs so there may be some differences with usage, but even just as a serato mixer, any regrets?

It would be good to have the same gear that is in all of the clubs.
TimmyPell 11:38 PM - 9 January, 2018
The input versatility on the DB2 is phenomenal! without a doubt, it's a complex beast!
After the V2.2.2 firmware I found myself using the same input source on two channels.

for Example, input 2 (phono) on the rear panel would be mapped down channels 1 & 2 with channel 1 setup as filter mode and channel 2 setup in EQ mode. Then assign Both those channels to FX /crossfader - X. you can then play the upfaders on channels 1 & 2 with the same source making use of the EQ and Xone Filter.

The downside of this is you then end up only mixing 2 sources because your using 2 channels per source.

Allen & Heath did put a HP/LP dedicated filter with fixed resonance at the bottom of each FX engine which kind of allowed you to chain EQ with filter. But this isn't as intuitive as the colour FX per channel filter option on a DJM to use in my opinion.

You also have equally powerful mapping of the 8 channels of the sound card. Which is great for DJ Software and DAW applications. But sighting my second reason for ditching my DB2 was the fact that the sound card when used with Serato DJ on my Windows 10 laptop at the time would suffer audio drop out and I lost confidence in using it in a live environment.

I did like the way that Allen & Heath genuinely improved the mixer with every firmware update. Adding new features and functionality. You never see that with Pioneer Stuff. The only update I've got on the Pioneer DJM-850 is the addition of a peak limiter and bug fixes. Nothing genuinely functionally new!

One of the reasons I think this is the case is because Pioneer mixers have allot of physical buttons on the mixer top plate to do things. E.G. changing signal from Stereo to Mono or panning sound from left to right. This stuff is all done in menu's on the DB2. These menu's can easily modified by firmware. The Advanced Settings in the menu's of DJM mixers are really for installers only. They don't much apply to the DJ. When it comes down to use for DJ'in, having fast access to a few common FX and commonly used functions for me is better than having a shit load of functionality and settings buried in menu's that I can't access quickly.

Long and the short of it, I brought a DB2 to use for DJ'in with both real vinyl (as a standalone mixer it is great and the pre-amps sounded superb!), DVS with Serato club kit and occasionally with controllers with Traktor Pro 2. The audio dropout issue with the on board sound card on a mixer that cost just shy of a grand Sterling at the time of ownership was too much of a waste.

I was sold on the DJM-850 for these reasons...

1 - The Sound Card is solid - despite the fact that the audio routing is done in software on the PC I have never had any audio dropout when set to 128 sample buffer - 2ms latency.
2 - Its Serato DVS ready with Club Kit.
3 - It's Traktor DVS Certified (You could hack early versions of Traktor Scratch Pro 2 to use DVS with a DB2 but it was never certified and after TSP 2.7 there was no possibility of DVS use.)
4 - EQ & Filter (Pio Sound Colour FX per channel are Filter, Noise, Gate & Crush) on each channel.
5 - And this is a fickle one!! But, No other DJ has ever had an issue using it when we share a setup at a gig. It can be the main mixer and everyone will work back to back on it with no issue whatsoever, coz ultimately it's easy to use!

Bit of a long winded reply.. But hey you asked!

Be lucky

Timmy.
onthe1 1:42 PM - 11 January, 2018
Hi Timmy,
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm having a similar problem with mine. I got it working now with Serato using this firmware downgrade followed by reinstalling the newest version:

support.serato.com

That seems to be the only way to uninstall/reinstall the firmware and it's not even on A&H's site.

But now I'm getting freezing tracks and Serato often freezes completely and then has to be force closed and restarted, and not only occasionally. Hopefully since this is a known issue it will be eventually fixed by Serato and/or A&H although this mixer has been around for a while now so we'll see.

The sound quality of both the audio interface and the effects on this are so good it's hard to imagine giving it up. It blows my Roland gear away in those respects. It might just end up serving as a production tool for me eventually but hopefully not. I'll probably try it out with Traktor at some point.

You didn't happen to ever try out the software MIDI functionality, did you? I'm going to try that out with Ableton next.
onthe1 2:34 PM - 11 January, 2018
^edit: I mean the MIDI clock functionality, (firmware v2.2.2) not the MIDI shift/MIDI controller functionality