Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

SERATO 1.9.10 LAGGING INCONSISTANTLY

anthony basile 8:15 PM - 5 December, 2017
Well, after my performances this weekend.....I have hit a peak of frustration with this software!

I am referring to the performance lag (or freeze) in Serato 1.9.10 and after 3 weeks of talking with serato users from all over, talking with apple, and researching issues...i just dont know if i can perform anymore with this software at this time. BUT, i am writing this to educate all those out there that are having the same problems and looking for solutions!

Please note the following...

- i have two setups and the problem occurs on both. An S9 with vinyls and the new denon sc5000s with the x1800 (which are great for performing without Serato hint hint**)- this tells me its not the hardware.

- I have a 2016 Macbook Pro. Constantly monitor disc and CPU usage and have reset SMC and RAM and problem still exists...This tells me its not the Mac's performance requirements

*** Only happenend AFTER i updated to High Sierra ( i would have never updated but i had to because i had the new denons and had to get the new serato 1.9.10 update to perform on them and i didnt want to run those two on an old El Capitan so i took the risk...) This tells me it's either High Sierra or the Serato App update.

- There is no consistency to this lag. For most people it comes and goes or it comes an hour into a gig and stays (or just lags all the time). This tells me it's again not the hardware such as an SMS or lose connection internally.

--I have a solid state hard drive..so turning off a motion sensor is not an option for me because i dont have one. Yes the lag does occur when i am around heavy bass and noise but it also does it at my house when i have no speakers attached. Again this must mean its a software issue...

-CPU usage is low when everything is connected. Im talking around 50% and plenty of disc as well. All of my music is on my hard drive, no external hard drives and yes i have the latest firmware on all my devices.

I know about minimizing the refresh rate and all those optimization suggestions...trust me, thats going to change very little. First question i ask to others who have this problem is "Do any of your other apps (preferably ones that use the graphics card) lag like this?" The answer is no. --This tells me this is not my Mac update.

Look, i'm 99% sure the serato update is whats causing this. Most of the time i cant even look at my screen because the lag is just awful. I just have to beatmatch and hope nothing worse happens. Maybe theres another forum where serato says it's a problem with their update...great. Even better... maybe someone can prove me wrong?! Then, Ill at least know! I have seen though that this type of lagging has been an issue in the past as well which is concerning.

The point is...i hope serato can fix this because my Serato Suite 14 day trial is down to a few days now and theres no way im giving them even more money with problems like this. Ill stand by my research...it's not our computers people, it's the serato update. Please fix asap...
DjSyndic8 1:58 AM - 6 December, 2017
firstly I think its High Sierra you should've stayed with El Capitan,
secondly if its lagging at certain times it tells me that you havent optimized your mac for serato and djing heres the guide---->support.serato.com

this will make sure that your mac is at high performance at all time and does not go into power saving mode after a certain time
anthony basile 2:20 AM - 6 December, 2017
Thanks for the response! Im not sure though if you read my full post, haha

I usually do not upgrade but since i got the new Denons (which are only compatible with 1.9.10) i thought it would be better to upgrade to High Sierra, since 1.9.10 is compatible with high sierra and also my denon setup. I do regret it though, haha

I also mentioned those optimizing steps and my CPU and disk usage is very low, i have a new mac that runs files internally and i keep my hard storage low. My ram is a beast. Those steps are for macs that are older and ones that have less ram and flash storage.

My automatic graphics switching is off because i always have my charger plugged in.
DjSyndic8 4:57 AM - 6 December, 2017
Quote:
usually do not upgrade but since i got the new Denons (which are only compatible with 1.9.10) i thought it would be better to upgrade to High Sierra, since 1.9.10 is compatible with high sierra and also my denon setup. I do regret it though, haha

you know you can install 1.9.10 on older version of OSX
heres a list of compatible Operating systems that can run 1.9.10 for your denons
Operating System

macOS High Sierra 10.13
macOS Sierra 10.12
Mac OS X 10.11
Mac OS X 10.10
Windows 10
Windows 10
Windows 8.1
Windows 7

Quote:
Those steps are for macs that are older and ones that have less ram and flash storage.

these settings are for new macs too, so you have to optimize the new macs as well
the reason for the optimization is to stop USB ports from going into suspend mode and also basically stops your Mac from going into power saving mode which is probably what your laptop is doing when you are lagging ( lagging usually means when your laptop is trying to use half its power etc, it doesn't matter if your machine is a beast, but I believe it should be optimized.
anthony basile 5:14 AM - 6 December, 2017
I'm considering going back to El Capitan. The steps to do this are a real pain but what choice do I have.

I did not know that about the USB ports so that is helpful! I did take the steps to optimize my mac and it still lags unfortunately.

People really seem to believe it's the OS so I'm taking another look at that even though I still think it's seratos update.

These posts though are helpful, keep them coming!
DjSyndic8 5:41 AM - 6 December, 2017
Quote:
I'm considering going back to El Capitan. The steps to do this are a real pain but what choice do I have.

I did not know that about the USB ports so that is helpful! I did take the steps to optimize my mac and it still lags unfortunately.

People really seem to believe it's the OS so I'm taking another look at that even though I still think it's seratos update.

These posts though are helpful, keep them coming!

why don't you partition your mac drive and install el capitan on one of those partions its easy to do and you can have the best of both worlds, you can grab El capitan off torrent plenty of seeds
anthony basile 5:58 AM - 6 December, 2017
I didn't think about that, but if the problem really is High Sierra, why should I keep that one too? Should I just use an older OS and wait for an update for high seirra (assuming that's what is causing the problem)?
DjSyndic8 6:03 AM - 6 December, 2017
Quote:
I didn't think about that, but if the problem really is High Sierra, why should I keep that one too? Should I just use an older OS and wait for an update for high seirra (assuming that's what is causing the problem)?

if you have the hard drive space then I would keep High sierra because Serato DJ Pro 2.0 is coming out soon and it might fix the bugs for high sierra cause I heard the new serato dj will have 64bit support
anthony basile 6:11 AM - 6 December, 2017
There are rumors as well that there will be a few updates before 2.0. Hope to see some performance enhancements!
DjSyndic8 6:15 AM - 6 December, 2017
Quote:
There are rumors as well that there will be a few updates before 2.0. Hope to see some performance enhancements!

64bit support is a big performance enhancement cause now you can utilize all that ram memory on your laptop
anthony basile 6:16 AM - 6 December, 2017
Agree 100%
CMOS 5:19 PM - 6 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

64bit support is a big performance enhancement cause now you can utilize all that ram memory on your laptop

What is your obsession with 64bit? Its not a fix for issues, it just simply allows the program to access more memory. When running serato the memory is not being maxxed out so im not sure what you expect to gain from this. Its not accessing large database files where it would need access to more memory.

I see you post this every day as if its a solution to all of the issues in Serato. I think your expectations about 64 bit are a bit off.
CMOS 5:21 PM - 6 December, 2017
People see 64bit and think "wow thats double 32bit" like the memory access has been some sort of bottleneck for serato and thats the only thing keeping the software from working properly.
DjSyndic8 6:49 PM - 6 December, 2017
Quote:
People see 64bit and think "wow thats double 32bit" like the memory access has been some sort of bottleneck for serato and thats the only thing keeping the software from working properly.

obviously in your world everything works so perfect and you have no complaint and your bored, and don't really know the benefits of having 64bit platform, so now you've found something to complain about good on ya mate, try and find something positive to contribute to this discussion please ok mate.
CMOS 10:23 PM - 8 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

obviously in your world everything works so perfect and you have no complaint and your bored, and don't really know the benefits of having 64bit platform, so now you've found something to complain about good on ya mate, try and find something positive to contribute to this discussion please ok mate.

You are giving people false expectations when you say 64bit is better. Thats all. You say it a lot.

In another post you just wrote that you can store more music because of 64bit. Thats nonsense.

Cmon son.
DjSyndic8 2:39 AM - 9 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You are giving people false expectations when you say 64bit is better. Thats all. You say it a lot.

In another post you just wrote that you can store more music because of 64bit. Thats nonsense.

Cmon son.

really bro you took time out of your day to get angry at me for my opinion Bahhaaaaa....
what kinda bullshit is that, you stood beside me and watched me when I was having issues is that what your saying cause you seem sure to know what Im on about daaam brah you mad?

tell me if 64bit is not an issue with Serato then why are they implementing 64 bit onto there new software common genius tell me ooooh please if its not a issue and in your world perfect, why is serato switching with the 64bit software?
DeeJay Fingers 3:20 AM - 9 December, 2017
(for Mac users ) they have to add 64bit cause High Sierra will be the last OS that will support 32bit ...to be honest unless "Serato 2.0 Pro" becomes a memory hog there's no real advantage of being 64bit. I just hope they finally take advantage of the retina display.
DjSyndic8 3:23 AM - 9 December, 2017
Quote:
(for Mac users ) they have to add 64bit cause High Sierra will be the last OS that will support 32bit ...to be honest unless "Serato 2.0 Pro" becomes a memory hog there's no real advantage of being 64bit. I just hope they finally take advantage of the retina display.

I think this will benefit Windows more then Mac users, maybe fix that jerky wave issue who knows
DeeJay Fingers 3:39 AM - 9 December, 2017
that would be great ...I've always had that jerky waveform since (scratch live days) it don't seem they will ever fix that...but to be honest I hardly look at the screen :) ...
anthony basile 12:06 AM - 13 December, 2017
UPDATE...

A friend of mine found the problem and it makes zero sense haha.

Lights are 100% what causes the lag. Any kind of stage light (or even the light from my iphone) causes it to lag like crazy. When shined anywhere near the computer.

Thoughts?! Ill even post a video online and provide the link to show everyone!
DeeJay Fingers 2:12 AM - 13 December, 2017
is your ambient light sensor disable?
anthony basile 2:16 AM - 13 December, 2017
I unchecked the "automatically adjust brightness" option under displays but the problem still occurs.

Is there another way to disable it?

Only way it doesnt lag is when you physically cover up the sensor.
DeeJay Fingers 4:25 AM - 13 December, 2017
not sure but have you try resetting SMC

osxdaily.com
anthony basile 4:28 AM - 13 December, 2017
Yes, i reset SMC and RAM often
DeeJay Fingers 4:38 AM - 13 December, 2017
could be a faulty sensor, try this

discussions.apple.com
The Beat Mechanik 9:59 AM - 18 December, 2017
try checking your locked files. when I unlocked some of them, a lot of them were corrupt and I didn't even know cause it only showed the padlock icon and not the corrupt file icon...serato needs to fix that, cause that's something that I discovered out of luck..
DjSyndic8 4:41 PM - 18 December, 2017
Quote:
try checking your locked files. when I unlocked some of them, a lot of them were corrupt and I didn't even know cause it only showed the padlock icon and not the corrupt file icon...serato needs to fix that, cause that's something that I discovered out of luck..

im not so sure that these files are corrupt, I have a lot of corrupt files and they play fine? Serato needs to define what is causing the file to be corrupt, I sometimes I think its a filename that's causing serato to say its corrupt
The Beat Mechanik 5:53 PM - 18 December, 2017
I’m considering going back to scratch Live... Serato dj is great! But I hardly use the features. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.