Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DJM S9 Setup 2 turntables 2 cdjs

DJ_Clippz 2:21 PM - 2 December, 2017
Hi

I got a gig coming up where I am going to bring my DJM S9 to the bar and use their setup. the plan is to connect to their 2 technics turntables and run serato DJ as normal on my laptop (my normal setup) - and then connect their CDJ900s too for another DJ using his own laptop.

Is it possible to set it up so I use Channel A 1&2 for my laptop and turntables and then use Channel B 3&4 for the CDJ900s with the other DJs laptop?

I've played in the past with 2 laptops connected and we used the turntables set up - which worked fine - but never tried with the other DJ using CDJs set up.

Any advice guys? Does the S9 detect the CDJs for the other laptop?

Cheers
raedonquan 5:45 PM - 2 December, 2017
set it up as usual for turntable setup...

as for the second dj will run in HID mode .. all he/she has to do is just make sure they have the cdj900 usb's connected to their computer..... and just switch over to usb B... there is no audio connection because of HID.

make sure the other laptop is ready for the S9 and the cdj's have been updated
DJ_Clippz 10:00 AM - 4 December, 2017
Quote:

as for the second dj will run in HID mode .. all he/she has to do is just make sure they have the cdj900 usb's connected to their computer..... and just switch over to usb B... there is no audio connection because of HID.

Thanks @raedonquan I was looking up on Hid mode but I haven't tried it myself so was unsure. Is this a proven set up for the 2 laptops running 2 different setups on the s9?
raedonquan 11:47 AM - 4 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks @raedonquan I was looking up on Hid mode but I haven't tried it myself so was unsure. Is this a proven set up for the 2 laptops running 2 different setups on the s9?

When setting up 1 set of cdjs to use with 2 laptops one laptop has to run with time code and the other in hid mode... that is a drawback in this situation as the mixer does not have an internal usb hub...

The rane 72 can do this...

Hid mode is exactly like using a controller... has no latency...
DJ_Clippz 1:17 PM - 4 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When setting up 1 set of cdjs to use with 2 laptops one laptop has to run with time code and the other in hid mode... that is a drawback in this situation as the mixer does not have an internal usb hub...

Hid mode is exactly like using a controller... has no latency...

Ah ok good to know if I ever do that set up for Cdjs. Thanks for your help!!
Aptidda 9:13 PM - 4 December, 2017
Quote:

quote]

Time to get rid of that S9!
DJ_Clippz 7:44 AM - 5 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
quote]

Time to get rid of that S9!

That will not be happening lol the S9 is a beast
dj Krazey leo 8:30 AM - 5 December, 2017
+1 i know the the 72 is right around the corner and I'm definitely thinking of getting it but with that being said there's no way I'm getting rid of my s9.
DJ_Clippz 9:34 AM - 5 December, 2017
Quote:
+1 i know the the 72 is right around the corner and I'm definitely thinking of getting it but with that being said there's no way I'm getting rid of my s9.

I'll take a look too buti defo can't get rid of the S9
Aptidda 6:30 PM - 5 December, 2017
ya guys you think I wanted to sell my S9? no way! Just had to get rid of it in fear that the S9 Value is going to drop as the market floods with them once the 72 comes out and everyone is trying to cop one.

Im going to have to use my pt01 scratch for a few months now I guess :-(
DJ_Clippz 6:35 PM - 5 December, 2017
The 72 layout looks crowded though but the USB feature is a big plus.
dj Krazey leo 1:24 AM - 6 December, 2017
@ Aptidda Yae you're probably but we don't know what issue the 72 might have at least we know the s9 bugs are all or mostly worked out I love my s9 I won't sell it but definitely gonna get that 72.
Aptidda 3:54 AM - 6 December, 2017
Ya I would say the bugs will be at a minimum given seratos lead time on the 72 and 12. However I'm game to see if there are any bugs and am stoked AF for this mixer
DJ_Clippz 7:20 AM - 6 December, 2017
So the Set up I originally posted about would work easier on the 72?
raedonquan 1:30 PM - 6 December, 2017
2 turntables time code USB A ......2 cdjs in internal mode no rca needed (unless playing off a usb stick) USB B
raedonquan 1:33 PM - 6 December, 2017
the 72 will work only work if you are sharing usb devices like 2 cdjs in HID mode
raedonquan 1:45 PM - 6 December, 2017
damn no edit button on here

72 will run 2 turntables if you have another dj that wants to switch over using the same turntables no problem..

on USB A . now lets say you have a setup where the 2 turntables are the Reloop 8000 with the midi buttons or have a set of dicers... the first dj will be able to control all the functions timecode and the midi buttons (because the usb for the midi control is connected to the first dj's laptop

now the second dj wants to go in..... the next dj switches one deck over to usb b ... he has only control of the turntable not the midi buttons... because one usb connected is the usb to the mixer from the second dj's laptop.

on the 72 it has its own hub.. so both computers will be able to use midi control.... thats one of the best selling points of the 72... real switch over no fumbling with usb plugs.... just plug one usb and start playing
DJ_Clippz 9:53 AM - 20 February, 2018
Quote:
damn no edit button on here

72 will run 2 turntables if you have another dj that wants to switch over using the same turntables no problem..

on USB A . now lets say you have a setup where the 2 turntables are the Reloop 8000 with the midi buttons or have a set of dicers... the first dj will be able to control all the functions timecode and the midi buttons (because the usb for the midi control is connected to the first dj's laptop

now the second dj wants to go in..... the next dj switches one deck over to usb b ... he has only control of the turntable not the midi buttons... because one usb connected is the usb to the mixer from the second dj's laptop.

on the 72 it has its own hub.. so both computers will be able to use midi control.... thats one of the best selling points of the 72... real switch over no fumbling with usb plugs.... just plug one usb and start playing

They need to update the S9 so you can do that. All these USB connections is a pain. Lol.

Thanks for your help though @raedonquan
DJ_Clippz 8:13 PM - 4 March, 2018
Big thanks @raedonquan this set up worked like a charm!