DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

do you do your own edits of songs using Live/Pro Tools/etc.?

Tunecrew 3:41 PM - 30 June, 2009
Just wondering how many people do edits of songs in advance to improve the intros, re-arrange the breaks and chorus, etc. and what do you use?

I've done it occasionally over the years, but started to do it more since I find there are some songs that I really like but that I don't play much because the available mixes are not as mix-friendly

Used to use Digital Performer, now using Pro Tools 8 and Live 8
AMF 3:49 PM - 30 June, 2009
If I'm doing a simple intro for a song, I'll use Sound Forge (ver 8). If I'm doing a mashup, I use protools (ver 8).
gotchuckz 4:14 PM - 30 June, 2009
I use Audacity for all of my own edits. It's free and easy to use once you get the hang of it.
terrible1fi 4:40 PM - 30 June, 2009
I make my own edits to countless tracks using Live 8
DVDjHardy 5:36 PM - 30 June, 2009
Quote:
I make my own edits to countless tracks using Live 8

+1 but still using 7.
matty-j 7:15 PM - 30 June, 2009
I am just starting to do re-edits and re-works. I like the style of Danny K, Dimitri, Terje and Eli Escobar. I have Protools 7.4 LE ( Digi 002 & Mbox1), Reason and Live 8 Suite. I am new to all of this as well as new to Scratch Live (former Torq user.) Do you guys have any tips,hints tutorials? Trust I am Googled out...lol.
Tunecrew 7:28 PM - 30 June, 2009
Quote:
I am just starting to do re-edits and re-works. I like the style of Danny K, Dimitri, Terje and Eli Escobar. I have Protools 7.4 LE ( Digi 002 & Mbox1), Reason and Live 8 Suite. I am new to all of this as well as new to Scratch Live (former Torq user.) Do you guys have any tips,hints tutorials? Trust I am Googled out...lol.

what i usually do is start in Pro Tools (8 M-Powered), normalize, trim the ends, and do basic re-arranging, just cause it is so much quicker to work audio-only in PT than Live (for me).

then I go into Live to add extra stuff- fx, more drums
DJ Benny B NYC 7:32 PM - 30 June, 2009
Quote:
I like the style of Danny K, Dimitri, Terje and Eli Escobar.

you have good taste in djs...

i would suggest finding someone who uses the software who will show you. otherwise you could buy a book for $40 or use online tutoriols to learn on your own.
matty-j 1:17 AM - 1 July, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
I like the style of Danny K, Dimitri, Terje and Eli Escobar.

you have good taste in djs...

i would suggest finding someone who uses the software who will show you. otherwise you could buy a book for $40 or use online tutoriols to learn on your own.

Thanx Benny B. I was a major label A&R guy & manager (which is also how I've been getting gigs,) so I am a lil spoiled by getting to work with some of the top DJ's & pick up stuff . I just met Eli but he has been very helpful as well, I guess I need to work my relationships better...lol.My goal is to be half as respected as these cats. I will hit up a few people and buy more books & attend a few more workshops. I am still open to anyone's input, as I just want to be the best I can.
DJ Benny B NYC 2:57 PM - 1 July, 2009
matty hit me up if you are ever in NY ok
terrible1fi 3:25 PM - 1 July, 2009
watch this to learn how to warp in live 8

www.mediafire.com
to rearrange and delete sections,
insert track on an audio channel on the sequencer
highlight section you want to delete or move,
then either click or drag, copy and paste somewhere, or delete it out completely.
its that easy
terrible1fi 3:25 PM - 1 July, 2009
oops wrong link!
remixmag.com
Audio1 4:09 PM - 1 July, 2009
Acid or Ableton Live.
DJ Benny B NYC 4:32 PM - 1 July, 2009
Quote:

www.mediafire.com
then either click or drag, copy and paste somewhere, or delete it out completely.
its that easy

You requested: Electrixx - Tetris.mp3 LOL
terrible1fi 5:54 PM - 1 July, 2009
long story!
matty-j 6:33 PM - 1 July, 2009
Quote:
matty hit me up if you are ever in NY ok

Will do Benny. I will be there around Labor Day.

Quote:

www.mediafire.com

its that easy

Good Looking out Audio1!
Dj Corleone508 9:40 PM - 9 July, 2009
can anyone help me with making pellas out of original songs i heard it can be done with audacity but i have no clue where to learn about it
terrible1fi 10:29 PM - 9 July, 2009
jprime 10:44 PM - 9 July, 2009
Another +1 for live. It's so easy to work with.
Audio1 11:55 PM - 9 July, 2009
Quote:
can anyone help me with making pellas out of original songs i heard it can be done with audacity but i have no clue where to learn about it
We called these DIY acapellas... From what Ive been told, You need both the Instrumental and Original version of track. The thing is, They need to be ripped from the same source and encoded at the same bitrate (preferably). Otherwise, It may not work so well (Dont quote me).

For some of my own remixes Ive posted online, My process is simple.

- Open up both Instrumental and OG tracks on Soundforge
- On Instrumental, Hit "Invert" and it performs an invert process on the Instrumental
- Copy Instrumental
- Mix Instrumental over Original track. This is where it gets tricky.

They have to lineup very close to see if it will work or not. Sometimes they will work, Sometimes they dont. Im not that great at EQing otherwise I'd have 100% better remixes and mashups.

Crash course in DIY. For more advice, Do what I did. Get on YouTube or research "DIY Acapella" or other similar terms on DJ google.

Class Dismissed.
CelebStreetDj 7:04 AM - 10 July, 2009
live and pro tools
DJ Bushido 2:14 AM - 13 September, 2010
Logic Pro 9