DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Equipment for a 180 person wedding in a 3,375 sq ft venue?

DJ Mittens 7:03 PM - 7 November, 2017
Hi. First post! I'm DJing my largest wedding so far in the next few weeks.

QUESTION: Will my speakers and sub provide enough quality sound? If not, should I rent 2 - 15 inch speakers?

MY EQUIPMENT:

2 12" EV-ZLX powered speakers - 1000 W (Class D); 126 dB max SPL; 50 Hz – 20 kHz

1 Harbinger Vari 18 in. Powered Subwoofer - 500 w/RMS @ 8 Ohms / 1500 watts peak power

Indoor venue with dimensions: 75' x 45' = 3,375 sq ft.

I appreciate your feedback.
dj_soo 8:03 PM - 7 November, 2017
Get better subs first.
Taipanic 8:29 PM - 7 November, 2017
My answer - barely to no.

The ZLX is a good speaker for it's price point but does not get very loud. That sub is not very good and I'm not sure if 3 of them would be sufficient.
Will you be set up next to the dancefloor or will the speakers be a distance away from it? If you're close to the dance floor I would say rent two good subs and make sure the ZLXs are high on speaker stands (the bottom of the speaker should be just under 6 ft. up in the air). If you are going to be farther away you might want a second pair of tops, in addition to the two subs. How the room is set up makes a big difference in how much gear you need.
DJ Mittens 2:06 AM - 8 November, 2017
Thanks, Taipanic.

I'll be set up right next to the dance floor and can set up the tops 6 ft up in the air. I'll look into renting two good subs.

I agree, for the price, the ZLX speakers sound pretty good but they don't get very loud.
DJ Reflex 2:41 AM - 8 November, 2017
You can make the subs more efficient with proper placement. If you can get them up against a wall, they will perform better. As a rule of thumb... Keep your subs within 2 feet of a wall or more than 8 ft away. Anywhere in between will cause quite a bit of cancelation.
DJ Mittens 2:50 AM - 8 November, 2017
DJ Reflex. Thanks for the tip!
Rebelguy 9:32 PM - 8 November, 2017
What is your goal for this event? Are you trying to make sure the crowd will hear the speeches and the dancefloor will have sufficient volume or are you trying to have the same volumes for the entire venue? If it’s the first you may be fine. If it’s the second you will need a lot more gear.
DJ Mittens 11:20 PM - 10 November, 2017
Thanks, Rebelguy. Yes, at this point without being able to get the equipment I really want, my goal is to have the crowd hear the speeches and have enough volume for the dance floor.