Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

NS6ii Jog Wheels - Scratch mode not working

NorrisL 2:51 AM - 6 November, 2017
Hi all! I've been in contact with Numark regarding my NS6ii responding to scratching intermittently even though scratch mode is enabled. . When I try to scratch on the jog wheel, the controller responds as if it is a tempo control instead of scratching. Scratching maybe works 3 out 10 times when I try to scratch and the other times, it makes slight tempo changeThey've sent me a replacement controller while my first controller had an issue and the second controller is having the same issue. Is anyone else experiencing this?
DjSyndic8 6:28 AM - 6 November, 2017
Quote:
Hi all! I've been in contact with Numark regarding my NS6ii responding to scratching intermittently even though scratch mode is enabled. . When I try to scratch on the jog wheel, the controller responds as if it is a tempo control instead of scratching. Scratching maybe works 3 out 10 times when I try to scratch and the other times, it makes slight tempo changeThey've sent me a replacement controller while my first controller had an issue and the second controller is having the same issue. Is anyone else experiencing this?

have you updated your serato to the new version either Serato DJ 1.98 or 1.99

also try a different USB cable

what kind of laptop and operating system do u have??
NorrisL 3:00 PM - 6 November, 2017
Hi,

I'm running Serato 1.99 on:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

I will try a new USB cable to see if that resolves the issue.
Dj Rayfunk 4:56 AM - 4 December, 2017
Was the issue ever resolved? I’m having the same issue as you did. I really want to like this unit but the jog wheels not working like they should is a bummer.
NorrisL 5:29 AM - 4 December, 2017
Quote:
Was the issue ever resolved? I’m having the same issue as you did. I really want to like this unit but the jog wheels not working like they should is a bummer.

Nope. Never got it resolved. Happen on. 2 different units. Something about my electrical “conductivity” in my body that the controller didn’t like. Same controller worked with my wife. Just not me.
Mig1991 7:19 AM - 4 December, 2017
Mine is doing the same thing! I exchanged it for another one, lets see how its gonna work.
NorrisL 3:01 PM - 4 December, 2017
Quote:
Mine is doing the same thing! I exchanged it for another one, lets see how its gonna work.

Let us know. Numark needs to know about this and fix it! I feel bad for all the other DJ's out there who want to like this thing but can't. =(
Mig1991 12:33 AM - 5 December, 2017
Honestly i think Numark dropped the ball by changing the IEC 3-prong power cord down to one of those cheap ac/dc two-prong power plugs. Thats probably where the problems lies and the controller isnt grounding correctly. My original NS6 didnt have a problem, and i think its because it had an IEC style power connection with 3 prongs.
DJ Fluke 613 1:54 AM - 5 December, 2017
Quote:
Honestly i think Numark dropped the ball by changing the IEC 3-prong power cord down to one of those cheap ac/dc two-prong power plugs. Thats probably where the problems lies and the controller isnt grounding correctly. My original NS6 didnt have a problem, and i think its because it had an IEC style power connection with 3 prongs.

The original had the same plug and issues. Just turn the jogs cw before you start mixing , problem solved.

Otherwise guys contact numark , you are bitching about a hardware issue on a software forum of a totally different company.
DJ Danger Tone 2:09 AM - 5 December, 2017
I am having the same problem with my ns6ii. only had it for a week and it spent most of the time in the box because the problem became extreme from the second day. I took it back to the shop that i bought it from and they tested it and it worked perfectly, leaving me feeling stupid. when i came back home i tested it and same problem. i remembered reading that it is an grounding issue and you should wear shoes, so i tried again with my shoes on and it worked i had control again but its not normal and very annoying to have to wear shoes at home. try this and let me know if it works for you guys.
Mig1991 3:29 AM - 5 December, 2017
Fluke, the forum says talk about supported hardware, we are here to help eachother out. Looks like youre the one bitching and not doing anything to help either. So why are u even on here.
DJ Fluke 613 11:41 AM - 5 December, 2017
Did you read what I told you about spinning the wheel before you start ? Did you read that I told you the first gen had this issue and that's what fixed it ? Did you not read me telling you to contact Numark? You know the manufacturer of the product you are talking about. Instead of your bitching on a software forum, are you looking for Serato to release an update to fix an issue caused by the manufacturer??? What are you looking for exactly ?
Mig1991 3:08 PM - 5 December, 2017
Lmao youre an idiot. Obviously you dont understandthe concept of troubleshooting. And it seems like youre unhappappy about your life or maybe your girlfriend left you or something. Cause you sound depressed lmao. Go get some psychological counseling before you get back on the internet. Lmao cause youre doing bad homie. Its just serato. They dont care wat we talk about. As long as their page is getting visits
DJ Fluke 613 4:21 PM - 5 December, 2017
LOL. Troubleshooting?? You are wasting your time on this page, thats my point. The first post was Nov 5, we are not Dec 5, what has changed in month?

I am unhappy with my life?? LOL.

K. Keep writing yourself messages on a forum about irrelevant stuff. Keep waiting for an answer, someone will answer you eventually. Oh wait, you're on the wrong companies forum, but keep waiting, someone from Serato will release a patch for you.

Your a monkey my friend :)
DJ Fluke 613 4:21 PM - 5 December, 2017
We are now Dec 5 i meant.
DJ Danger Tone 12:20 AM - 6 December, 2017
No time for stupid talk. did any one see the difference with shoes on??????? And i know Numark people read this site but they always wait for someone else to discover the solution before they comment.
try with shoes!!!!
DjSyndic8 1:49 AM - 6 December, 2017
i need more popcorn this is getting good lol
Michael R 10:32 PM - 11 December, 2017
Hi all,

I've spoken with Numark about this issue and they have requested for anyone who is having this issue to please contact their Support Team and they'll work with you on resolving this. You can contact them here -> www.numark.com

Cheers,
Michael.
DJ Danger Tone 1:00 AM - 13 December, 2017
what did Numark say about it?
Michael R 2:11 AM - 13 December, 2017
They asked for users to contact them directly so they can try and work out what is happening. This is not an issue which came up in either their or our testing during development so they need more information.
DJ Danger Tone 3:20 AM - 13 December, 2017
ok thanks Michael. i will try my luck
Dj Rayfunk 3:51 PM - 13 December, 2017
I found out my issue...It is a grounding issue. It works great when grounded.
DJ Danger Tone 12:32 AM - 14 December, 2017
How did you ground it?
DJ Lalit 9:21 PM - 14 December, 2017
I am in the market looking for a DJ controller. I decided it will be either a Denon MC6000 mkII or Numark NS6ii. I was ready to purchase the Numark until I researched the jogwheel issue. Now I'm not so sure if I want to go this route. I'm mostly a mobile DJ. In terms of grounding, does this mean we have to do this each time? And like Danger Tone mentioned, how do you ground it?
DJ Lalit 3:25 PM - 15 December, 2017
Anyone have a update with how to ground? I saw a great deal with Denon MC6000 mkII but want to see if the jogwheel issue is something I can live with or not. Any update would be great!
DJ Danger Tone 3:30 PM - 15 December, 2017
With xlr cables its grounded. but i dont want to have to use them all the time
DJ Lalit 3:35 PM - 15 December, 2017
So are you saying that if I connect xlr cables from the master out into my speakers I should be good? I have two sets of xlr cables, one is xlr to xlr, and the other is xlr to 1/4.
DJ Danger Tone 3:39 PM - 15 December, 2017
Yes it seems that way. the xlr cables are grounded but not the rca. I had zero problems when connected with xlr.
I yet to test it at the clubs because most clubs you connect to thier mixer via rca so dont know if it will work or not but with shoes on its also ok.
DJ Lalit 3:44 PM - 15 December, 2017
Okay. I am a mobile DJ so I always use xlr cables. I also read that the first generation NS6 had the same issue. Another recommendation is to calibrate the platters.
DJ Danger Tone 3:46 PM - 15 December, 2017
Its definatly a grounding issue
DJ Lalit 4:13 PM - 15 December, 2017
That is a shame that you have to ground the controller each time. Being DJs we rely on our equipment 100%. One shouldn't have to worry about these things. I wonder if I should go ahead and get the MC6000 mkII instead. Anyone have experience with this controller?
DJ Danger Tone 4:18 PM - 15 December, 2017
To me the layout on the mc6000 is old school controller. Not in the same class as the Numark ns6ii. if you go Denon better go for the mc7000.
DJ Lalit 4:22 PM - 15 December, 2017
It is a older controller but I've heard its a workhorse and built like a tank. Also being a mobile DJ I don't know if I will need the additional effects and all. If I go the route of the NS6ii I was thinking it would be a nice addition should I need those functionalities.
DJ Lalit 3:02 PM - 18 December, 2017
Mig1991, any update with your NS6ii controller? Are you still experiencing the same issue?
Chino 6:38 PM - 18 December, 2017
Quote:
I wonder if I should go ahead and get the MC6000 mkII instead. Anyone have experience with this controller?

I own a MC6000MKII. It is a workhorse! Its VERY reliable & just works like its suppose to.
DJ Lalit 7:30 PM - 18 December, 2017
Thanks Chino! How long have you had it? Any specific issues one should be aware of? Does it work flawlessly with SDJ? I've heard the controller is a bit cramped. Do you feel the same way?
Chino 7:44 PM - 18 December, 2017
Quote:
How long have you had it?

I bought it as a back up for my MCx8000 back in March. I had so many issues with the MCx8000 that I sold it but I still kept the MC6000mkII.

Quote:
Any specific issues one should be aware of?

The MIC channels run a little hot but you can just turn the volume down.

Quote:
Does it work flawlessly with SDJ?

I use it weekly with absolutely NO problems on SDJ 1.9.6

Quote:
I've heard the controller is a bit cramped. Do you feel the same way?

I'm 6ft 3inches tall with big hands so it does feel a little cramped. The portability, sound quality & feature set is worth the trade off, though!

The bottom line is that it is an EXTREMELY dependable controller that is very portable & sounds GREAT!!
DJ Lalit 8:12 PM - 18 December, 2017
Thank you! Lastly, if you were debating whether to get the Numark NS6ii or Denon MC6000mk2, which one would you prefer? I understand you already have the Denon but say you did not. My only fear is the issue with the jogwheel becoming unresponsive. Yes I understand one has to ground the unit but I don't think we should do this each time.

I've never owned Numark equipment so how does it compare in terms of reliability. I'm strictly a mobile DJ and do some beatmixing but my focus is more on entertaining guests and being interactive. While it would be nice to have all the cool filters and effects of the NS6ii along with the information displayed in the jogwheel, my biggest concern is reliability and making sure its a workhorse that I know Denon products for. Portability and weight is another factor.
Chino 8:21 PM - 18 December, 2017
Quote:
my biggest concern is reliability and making sure its a workhorse that I know Denon products for. Portability and weight is another factor.

I am also primarily a mobile DJ. If reliability/dependability & portability/weight are your main concerns then the Denon MC6000MKII is what I would recommend.
DJ Lalit 8:25 PM - 18 December, 2017
Okay. Do you have a case with the controller? How many lbs total does it weigh?
Chino 10:05 PM - 18 December, 2017
I use a SKB 'soft' case. It's a little over 3.5 lbs. At gigs, I take the controller out and put it on top of the SKB case to give me more height. The link is below:

www.bhphotovideo.com
DJ Lalit 3:39 AM - 19 December, 2017
Ok. B&H currently has a package which includes the MC6000 mkII and case:

www.bhphotovideo.com

Can anyone else chime in with the Denon or Numark NS6ii
dj_soo 4:08 AM - 19 December, 2017
never used either, but keep in mind that the MC6000 will require the paid Serato DJ update while the NS6 MKII does not.

I don't like the layout of the MC6000 myself as I'm fully on board with the current standard of the 8 pads on either side, but the platter issues with the Numark would probably be very annoying as there are some gigs where I just plug in via RCA.
DJ Lalit 4:22 PM - 19 December, 2017
Actually the MC6000 mkII does come with a full version of SDJ. You get a voucher to upgrade from Intro to SDJ for free. I don't plug in via RCA and always use XLR so I wonder if I should be okay with the NS6II.

Anyone else who has the NS6II please post your thoughts and what you like and dislike.

Thank you!
Dysquo 9:36 AM - 21 December, 2017
Had two ns6ii. Returned them both due to the jog wheels, was looking to replace my pioneer sx2. Had a ns6 previously that worked great. Was really hoping it would work out, but the second one stopped working and entered into a lightning loop where everything flashed and nothing worked. First thing I did was update the firmware on both, and tried with shoes to ground myself.

The only day it worked, it was decent. But it seemed kind of toyish compared to the SX2. Think its all the red lights, and it's missing buttons I'm used to having. The info on the jog wheels was great. And I found myself looking at the computer less. I kind of hated the filter knob under the bass. I use sweep a lot and it doesn't sound or feel good. But maybe I didn't get a chance to play with it enough.

Anyway now I'm still looking for another controller because my sx2 is wearing down after using it almost daily for 2 years. Was looking at the Denon MCX8000, but I'm reading that it also has a lot of problems, looked at the Roland 505, and the build quality is cheap AF. The Roland 808 felt good at guitar center but I don't need the drum machine. Don't want to downgrade to the Pioneer SR2, so right now I think my option is another sx2.

I tried out a Pioneer XDJ-RX2 yesterday and it felt great, but it was weird not having my macbook and Serato for track selection. I switch tracks quickly and like to juggle, so I wasn't sure if it would work for me. Luckily it had instant doubles, or it would've been an instant no go. I keep a rekordbox usb, back up of my Serato crates so I was able to test it pretty thoroughly. It seemed like it could handle what I do, but I just wasn't comfortable with the menu yet. I might pick it up to try it out, and just take it back if I can't get comfortable on it. When I was sponsored by Stanton they gave me a SCS.4DJ and it had a similar feel. I always thought it was cool, but it needed more, so the rx2 is that on steroids.

Just thinking about having to redo all my Serato cue points is already giving me a headache...
DJ Danger Tone 1:51 AM - 28 December, 2017
I returned 2 ns6ii. I tried everything but it does not work. I emailed Numark but no resonse. i advice is mot to buy the ns6ii. the jog wheels dont work. If its this big problem when its new then after a year you will ne
ed to bin it i guess
DJ Tecniq 2:29 AM - 28 December, 2017
Quote:
I returned 2 ns6ii. I tried everything but it does not work. I emailed Numark but no resonse. i advice is mot to buy the ns6ii. the jog wheels dont work. If its this big problem when its new then after a year you will ne
ed to bin it i guess
Glad i got the SR2 then. Never liked the black/red LED’s anyways.
DJ Lalit 3:59 AM - 28 December, 2017
Danger Tone,

As per Numark they instructed to do the following:

1. Calibrate the jogwheels by placing your hand over the top, bottom, and sides of platter

2. Ground the unit. They suggested a unit can be grounded using XLR cables and plugging the unit into a surge protector

3. They recommend not to utilize the unit in a highly carpeted area

Did you have a chance to run through the above steps? Apparently the issue doesn't only apply to Numark as any controller that utilizes capacitate touch has issues.

I'm still on the fence whether to get this controller or Denon MC6000mk2.
DJ Lalit 7:28 PM - 3 January, 2018
Danger Tone, any update? Did you run through the steps above?
DJ Danger Tone 1:13 PM - 4 January, 2018
I tried all of the above. the only thing that worked was to connect with xlr but as i said its not practical for me to be using power speaker late night if im preparing a set of practicing. i also do club nights and will have to connect to there mixer using rca cables but then the controller wont work. to much problems for me. i returned mine and got the DENON mc7000. great controller. very happy with that. the Pioneer sr 2 is also a good controller. i still say dont buy the ns6.
DJ Lalit 2:06 PM - 4 January, 2018
Thanks for the update. For me I'll be using XLR since I will be using this for mobile events. Hoping all goes well.
DJ Danger Tone 2:20 PM - 4 January, 2018
Good luck
Sam GG 8:36 PM - 29 January, 2018
Hey Everyone,

Numark have put together a firmware update that should resolve the platter touch problems with the NS6II. Please download the new FW installer here: www.numark.com there are separate versions for Mac and Windows.

If you have any trouble with the installer or experience any platter issues after the update, please get in touch with Numark support staff to let them know.

Cheers,
Sam
Solidsnake 1:16 PM - 5 February, 2018
So, just got my NS6II after debating between it an the SR2. The only controllers I’ve owned in the past were the VCI-300 and the VCI-380, and with Vestax going under, and wanting to be proactive, I decided to go with NS6II. The platters work fine... however... I am getting another strange issue and am not sure if it is hardware or software related. I’ll be opening a support ticket with Numark, but this is literally out of the box -> Updated firmware. Not sure if I should have started another thread, but this thread seems to have several NS6ii owners who might could shed some light?

Watchm.youtube.com

This is only happening when the left deck is on Deck 1, if it is set to Deck 3, pitch works normal and... it doesn’t affect the other deck.
schmapps 6:17 PM - 5 February, 2018
I have an Ns6ii and that has never happened to me....I’m no expert but the first thing I’d suggest is going to the numark website and getting the latest firmware, and also make sure your windows Ns6ii drivers are updated, I believe those come from the serato website. Cheers
Solidsnake 9:50 PM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
I have an Ns6ii and that has never happened to me....I’m no expert but the first thing I’d suggest is going to the numark website and getting the latest firmware, and also make sure your windows Ns6ii drivers are updated, I believe those come from the serato website. Cheers

Yeah I updated the firmware right out of the box and made sure my Serato was up to date. Going to try installing firmware again and see what happens.

Hope I can get everything resolved before this wedding season. Really want to do the controller for mobile and TT’s for the club. The NS6 II is one of the few controllers with a dedicated mic volume control. My first Numark product since the V7’s which I loved.
dj_soo 10:14 PM - 5 February, 2018
I'd call inmusic and see if they can get you sorted with a replacement - that shit shouldn't be happening
schmapps 12:11 AM - 6 February, 2018
Yeah that sounds like a defective unit.
Solidsnake 8:32 PM - 7 February, 2018
Contacted the seller for an exchange, Numark support has yet to get back to me. Just a few hours away from the up to 72 hour mark. Going to give a second unit a shot, but the experience so far has been sub par, and currently not very confident.
dj_soo 8:59 PM - 7 February, 2018
Call them - I haven't had the best response time for sub brands when it comes to emails, but they are very prompt on the phone.
Solidsnake 12:37 AM - 6 March, 2018
Ended up having to reset the MIDI profile in Serato. Even swapped out controllers, created a 2nd midi profile using the macOS MIDI tab. Everything works now :)
dekoncep 3:30 AM - 26 June, 2018
Hi all just got my ns611 and having the same platter issues want to update firmware but there is no instructions on how can someone pls help?
Michael R 4:08 AM - 26 June, 2018
Hi dekoncep,

First of all, go here -> www.numark.com (click link).

On the right hand side of the page under the Downloads section. you'll see links for the Windows and Mac firmware updaters. Just download the version you need and run it, and the installer will walk you through what you need to do :)
dekoncep 4:13 AM - 26 June, 2018
I downloaded but all it did was say it download no further instructions on what to do
Michael R 4:55 AM - 26 June, 2018
You'll need to go to where the file was downloaded and then run it :)
dekoncep 10:07 AM - 26 June, 2018
I extracted it and run it it said download finished but there is no change with platter they just not responding
Aptidda 9:24 PM - 26 June, 2018
a NS6ii has bootsy "static" platters. You will never be able to truly "scratch" on a controller unless it is a NS7 i /ii / iii . Get yourself some real scratch equipment, no one is going to kick it and "scratch" on your silly plastic jogs.
RR437T 2:21 AM - 27 June, 2018
Quote:
I extracted it and run it it said download finished but there is no change with platter they just not responding

Check the manual. You may need to put your controller in service mode. I have to do this on my pioneer.
Michael R 4:11 AM - 27 June, 2018
Quote:

That's odd! I'd recommend you get in touch with Numark support and they'll be able to help you with this: www.numark.com (click link).
DJ MIRAH 11:22 PM - 22 September, 2018
Quote:
With xlr cables its grounded. but i dont want to have to use them all the time

Fam, you were right!
Grounding the kit seems to sort out any jogwheel sensitivity issues.
I thought for months it was me. Coming from the original NS7 where I was used to a larger scratching surface, I thought perhaps I was touching the sides of the jogwheel or sweaty, damp hands where jacking up my scratches.

For months I ignored it and earlier today decided to research and low and behold, I found your post on grounding.
Which I did (room is very heavily carpeted plus I'm hairy af) and now it works beautifully!
So massive thank you Sir!

I will create another grounding cable to take with me on-site at live gigs incase I encounter the same issues on an XLR setup.