DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

EV ETX18SP......Let's talk....

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:56 PM - 4 November, 2017
Who on here has a set?
desmorider 2:14 AM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
Who on here has a set?

Didn't you pick up a set of etx18sp's to go with you zxa5's? If so, how are they working out for you? Still happy with them?
577er 4:25 AM - 5 November, 2017
They have a pair at a spot I dj monthly. They bump pretty hard and deep. Not something I would pick up for a one man mobile operation, too heavy for me.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:06 AM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Who on here has a set?

Didn't you pick up a set of etx18sp's to go with you zxa5's? If so, how are they working out for you? Still happy with them?

I want to know other peoples opinions, as for the reason for this thread...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:07 AM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
They have a pair at a spot I dj monthly. They bump pretty hard and deep. Not something I would pick up for a one man mobile operation, too heavy for me.

They DEFINITELY aren't light, that's for sure...
DJ_Dad 11:29 AM - 5 November, 2017
I have ONE. I picked up a couple of FBT subline 118sa for almost all my mobile gigs because I hated moving the ETXs. Very clean and musical sound with the ETX, but heavy as crap and worse is that they are too wide and deep (TWSS) to easily carry for one person. Also, they sound great, but I wouldn’t say they are the hardest hitting speaker for the money. They limit a bit too quickly.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:21 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
I have ONE. I picked up a couple of FBT subline 118sa for almost all my mobile gigs because I hated moving the ETXs. Very clean and musical sound with the ETX, but heavy as crap and worse is that they are too wide and deep (TWSS) to easily carry for one person. Also, they sound great, but I wouldn’t say they are the hardest hitting speaker for the money. They limit a bit too quickly.

FBT?

Haven't heard of them, but haven't been looking.

What else does the FBT have over the ETX18SP, in your opinion?

BTW, I agree with the limiting too early, but VERY good sounding statement of those EV's.
kendoit 2:00 PM - 5 November, 2017
I like the ETX once you learn them you good to go
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:03 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
I like the ETX once you learn them you good to go

Are you talking about the ETX Series or the specific ETX18SP?
desmorider 2:37 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

FBT?

/quote] BTW, I agree with the limiting too early, but VERY good sounding statement of those EV's.

I'm sure that you probably know this already but most early adopters of the ETX18sp reported that they would limit early and were not loud enough. Owners stated later that the limit light on the etx's seemed to be more of a pre limit type warning, and the speakers could be pushed beyond that. I'm sure that your zxa5's could deal with 6-8 of the etx18's.

Definitely not trying to question your knowledge here because I know that you know your shit and your from the old school.
kendoit 4:03 PM - 5 November, 2017
ETX 18sp
kendoit 4:09 PM - 5 November, 2017
ETX 18sp or JBL srx18 same thing I have 4 ETX and 2 srx828s and think ETX might edge the JBL sometimes
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:13 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

FBT?

/quote] BTW, I agree with the limiting too early, but VERY good sounding statement of those EV's.

I'm sure that you probably know this already but most early adopters of the ETX18sp reported that they would limit early and were not loud enough. Owners stated later that the limit light on the etx's seemed to be more of a pre limit type warning, and the speakers could be pushed beyond that. I'm sure that your zxa5's could deal with 6-8 of the etx18's.

Definitely not trying to question your knowledge here because I know that you know your shit and your from the old school.

What's good?

Let's be clear, YES, these speakers sound dope all day. The clarity of the bass is unprecedented.

And yes, I'm aware of the "Pre Limit" warning, and have adjusted my ear as such.

HOWEVER, I've recently been put into a weekly situation where I'm bringing half of a PA setup (my ZXA5's) but coupled with QSC KW181's (my guy's subs), and I hope I'm not facing the reality that those QSC's are more bang for the buck.

For one they are smaller overall, easier to move, and seem to be putting out a better amount of bass for the dollar.

Now, I haven't done an A/B comparison YET, but it's getting to that point....

I have pushed those QSC's to certain levels, and it's MUCH easier to have my ETX limiter kick in versus the QSC's.

I just wanted to see if cats on here have had the same limiting issues as myself.

The ZXA5's obviously overpower everything, but I'm just talking about a single top/bottom setup per side, and the amount of bass that can be obtained per side.

Please don't let those QSC's kick that ETX azz, but if it's real, I'll let y'all know.

Stay tuned for more.
kendoit 4:33 PM - 5 November, 2017
I have 2 QSC KW181 also they are not as loud as the ETX or hit as hard but bang for the buck it's a winner
Mr.Dj-Jace 4:58 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

FBT?

What's good?

Let's be clear, YES, these speakers sound dope all day. The clarity of the bass is unprecedented.

And yes, I'm aware of the "Pre Limit" warning, and have adjusted my ear as such.

HOWEVER, I've recently been put into a weekly situation where I'm bringing half of a PA setup (my ZXA5's) but coupled with QSC KW181's (my guy's subs), and I hope I'm not facing the reality that those QSC's are more bang for the buck.

For one they are smaller overall, easier to move, and seem to be putting out a better amount of bass for the dollar.

I have pushed those QSC's to certain levels, and it's MUCH easier to have my ETX limiter kick in versus the QSC's.

I just wanted to see if cats on here have had the same limiting issues as myself.

The ZXA5's obviously overpower everything, but I'm just talking about a single top/bottom setup per side, and the amount of bass that can be obtained per side.

Please don't let those QSC's kick that ETX azz, but if it's real, I'll let y'all know.

Stay tuned for more.

When you run your etx18sp, are you running them on Music or Live mode?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:42 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

FBT?

What's good?

Stay tuned for more.

Music, and I've heard the arguments for Live vs. Music and Music has always sounded better to me, but I will go with LIVE the next time, just in case.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:46 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
I have 2 QSC KW181 also they are not as loud as the ETX or hit as hard but bang for the buck it's a winner

I have to do some A/B testing though. Fate has it that my monthly spot used to have another DJ use those 181's but was restricted from using them going forward because of noise complaints.

Now I'm in the SAME PLACE, using my ETX's and only had one noise complaint.

Now it could DEFINITELY be that the 181's kick harder in the mid bass range, but to be honest, that's what the people can feel, in the chest, versus the room shaking sub lows of the ETX.
J Hennessy 6:49 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:

Music, and I've heard the arguments for Live vs. Music and Music has always sounded better to me, but I will go with LIVE the next time, just in case.

I have an ETX-15SP and I find that the Music DSP setting gives you more of the lowest frequencies. This makes the sound richer and cleaner at more moderate volumes. The Live DSP setting is flatter and sounds louder when you're pushing the sub to it's limits. If you're worried about limiting using it in Live mode should definitely help.
kendoit 8:42 PM - 5 November, 2017
18sp Or the 181 both have different sounds with the18sp having a more thicker sound and it just fills up the room 181 hits hard to once you learn the 18sp it's hard to get them to clip
Mr.Dj-Jace 9:36 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I have an ETX-15SP and I find that the Music DSP setting gives you more of the lowest frequencies. This makes the sound richer and cleaner at more moderate volumes. The Live DSP setting is flatter and sounds louder when you're pushing the sub to it's limits. If you're worried about limiting using it in Live mode should definitely help.

+1
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:01 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Gonna definitely run on LIVE mode next time....actually this weekend...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:02 AM - 15 November, 2017
So I used the LIVE mode, set the input at what I usually use, and there was no Limiting action, but an occasional flash.

However, I'm still on the fence as I had a LOT going on and didn't really drive the sound I normally would, or don't think I did, but the initial indication was that there was no limiting, and it sounded pretty good...or at least there wasn't a noticeable difference....

Stay tuned.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:57 AM - 15 November, 2017
Quote:
So I used the LIVE mode, set the input at what I usually use, and there was no Limiting action, but an occasional flash.

However, I'm still on the fence as I had a LOT going on and didn't really drive the sound I normally would, or don't think I did, but the initial indication was that there was no limiting, and it sounded pretty good...or at least there wasn't a noticeable difference....

Stay tuned.

From my understanding Live mode has less processing giving you more headroom
kendoit 6:15 AM - 15 November, 2017
I push my Etx 18sp hard all night I don't even worry about no lights lol
kendoit 6:16 AM - 15 November, 2017
Ceiling tile and all is on my equipment
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:55 PM - 15 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Stay tuned.

Seems like it....

More to follow...
desmorider 1:52 AM - 16 November, 2017
Quote:
I push my Etx 18sp hard all night I don't even worry about no lights lol

Quote:
Ceiling tile and all is on my equipment

cool story
desmorider 2:57 PM - 24 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stay tuned.

Seems like it....

More to follow...

Any update Johnny? Are they working much better in live mode?

Hope so.
PurpleTeeth 5:35 PM - 14 November, 2019
Any thoughts comparing the new QSC KS11 to the EV 18sp or the YAMAHA DXS18XLF. I am looking into buying one or two subs and these all comparable in price.
pdidy 5:51 AM - 15 November, 2019
Quote:
Any thoughts comparing the new QSC KS11 to the EV 18sp or the YAMAHA DXS18XLF. I am looking into buying one or two subs and these all comparable in price.

Too soon to tell, the QSC KS118 is too new and the YAMAHA DXS18XLF is a unicorn.
PurpleTeeth 6:31 AM - 15 November, 2019
Yeah fair enough! The DXS18XLF is a unicorn in the sense that know one has ever seen it out in the wild? That seems like a bad thing perhaps? I do love the Yamaha monitors.
pdidy 6:47 AM - 15 November, 2019
Quote:
The DXS18XLF is a unicorn in the sense that know one has ever seen it out in the wild?

Yes exactly, we know people own them but actually seeing one live is extremely rare. The tops are a totally different story.
dj_soo 8:59 AM - 15 November, 2019
I have a buddy that just received a pair of the DXS18XLFs - haven't heard his take on it yet tho...
PurpleTeeth 4:33 PM - 15 November, 2019
Quote:
I have a buddy that just received a pair of the DXS18XLFs - haven't heard his take on it yet tho...

Awesome! Please let us know how they sound when he tests it out.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:02 AM - 17 November, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stay tuned.

Seems like it....

More to follow...

Any update Johnny? Are they working much better in live mode?

Hope so.

Eh, there's a tradeoff in low end in MY OPINION....

Regardless, I'll ultimately say these joints are DOPE from a sound quality perspective, but don't really bang the crowd the way I'd want...

And weight is now an issue...so I will be eventually downsizing...sigh.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:25 PM - 18 November, 2019
Quote:

At some point weight always becomes an issue.
pdidy 12:04 AM - 19 November, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

And that point is usually age which is why I hired a roadie. I was either that or hit the gym and drop 50lbs lol.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:58 AM - 20 November, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And that point is usually age which is why I hired a roadie. I was either that or hit the gym and drop 50lbs lol.

LMAO
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:06 AM - 25 November, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This...