DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Technics sl-1200 platter cleaning or polishing... help!

Xavuli7 10:53 AM - 30 October, 2017
Hi there,

Recently I ve bought second hand technics sl 1200 mk2. I´ve tried to clean, but it seems that I cannot get the platter shinny again. Please see the attached file ( ibb.co )

Until now i ve tried only with warm dish soap and tooth paste. It looks cleaner than before for sure, but the surface is not clean enough as you can see. Maybe i need more brushing or other any product. Or maybe is corrosion... i don´t know.

Before I apply any product or do something wrong, I would like to see your comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Xavi
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:07 AM - 30 October, 2017
if you cleaned it already and its not coming off it's probably oxidation, you could get a stainless steel scotch brite thing and scrub the fuck out of it and then buff it or use some aluminum polish
DJBotz 12:34 PM - 30 October, 2017
Quote:
if you cleaned it already and its not coming off it's probably oxidation, you could get a stainless steel scotch brite thing and scrub the fuck out of it and then buff it or use some aluminum polish

Or just man up and dont even worry about it.
Xavuli7 2:29 PM - 30 October, 2017
Quote:

If I scrub with a stainless steel scotch brite, I wonder if I will damage the surface. Don´t know if stainless is harder than aluminium... i don´t want to screw it up

thanks for your feedback Sparky i appreciate it, but I would like to hear more expierences...
Robejz 10:16 PM - 30 October, 2017
If you used toothpaste you might already have seen Viper Frank’s videos. I followed his method (minus the Brasso) and it worked a treat for me.

youtu.be
Detroitbootybass 5:48 PM - 31 October, 2017
First try using a Magic Eraser (which is really just a piece of melamine) as it wouldn't damage the platter. If that doesn't work, then step up to some more intensive methods.