Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Troubleshooting Audio Dropouts - ugh!!!

PapaDrew 5:21 PM - 29 October, 2017
I've been trying to troubleshoot random dropouts with Serato DJ and a DDJ-SX. Macbook Pro mid-2012. More specs at end of post...

Support has been unhelpful, they take days one end to reply and in fact, I think they've abandoned my ticket. The last thing I was instructed by them was to create a new database file, which I had earlier in the summer, I believe, by consolidating my music library to only tracks that were in my crates. This link they gave me suggests dragging all your tracks only but then your crates would all be gone after the new database. Can one follow this procedure by dragging all of your crates to the 'Backup All' crate? support.serato.com

The weird thing about my support ticket is they initially said it could only be one of a few things. But they didn't tell me what those things could be. When I asked, they said it's complicated etc and that I needed to follow their suggestion first, test and then report back in order to hear what's next. The problem with this is, the dropouts only occur over a 4-6 hour set and I can't just DJ all day to see if it will happen again. I just want to do whatever I can to make this problem stop. It's really affecting my gigs when the music just stops for 3-6 seconds in the middle of a big tune! I don't see why they have to only tell me their tips in this slow, drawn out drip support.

So far, I've reformatted my Macbook with a clean wipe, reinstalled only Serato and setup everything as per their specs. Large usb buffer setting (10), no wifi or bluetooth when performing and all that. Still have the dropouts. Swapped usb cables of course, same issue. Could it be the DDJ-SX? When the problem occurs I don't see any usb warnings and the music appears to be playing, it comes back in where the song would have been if kept playing. Any ideas, solutions to the vexing issue?

MB Pro 13 inch, mid 2012, OS 10.11
Processor: 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
External HD: WD My Passport USB 3
Serato: 1.9.6
Pioneer DDJ-SX
938MyDJ 1:59 AM - 30 October, 2017
My first suggestion is...

Leave EL CAPITAN - Either upgrade to Sierra or downgrade to Yosemite.

Then try your old library (hopefully you have back up) or test your new library.
pdidy 2:00 AM - 1 November, 2017
^^^agreed avoid El Capitan at all cost and use Yosemite. Then install smcFanControl as it may be a heat issue which generally shows itself over a long time of use similar to what you are experiencing.
pdidy 2:09 AM - 1 November, 2017
Dirty fans can also cause overheating and the issues that you were experiencing so a little maintenance would be helpful. It’s quite easy to do yourself and does not require a technician. Watchm.youtube.com
pdidy 2:13 AM - 1 November, 2017
Also when installing Yosemite it must be a clean install so the computer must be wiped clean prior to Yosemite Install.
DjSyndic8 2:33 AM - 1 November, 2017
Quote:
Dirty fans

lol yer them Dirty fans always hatin on somebody