Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Numark NS6ii Jog Wheels

jimiBARRZ 4:22 PM - 18 October, 2017
What up everybody,

I recently purchased a Numark NS6ii. I come form a turntable background tracing back to 1993. I've used other controllers like a: VCI400, VCI380, DDJ SR, DDJ SX2, NS7iii, and others. Upon receiving this device, I really dug the look and feel. After using it for a week, I noticed that when scratching, the sensing of my hand would go away. I lowered my buffer settings and refresh rates, but the problem still occurred. Also, the lag on the wheels is kinda unbearable. Grabbing a snare or kick is really unnatural in feeling. Compared to the above mentioned controllers, I feel that I would need to go back to a DDJ controller, since my budget is under $1K, and 2 channels are preferred. Maybe a DDJ-SR2

I will try to use this controller on a newer machine this week, and report back.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Peace, and hope everyone is good!
DJ Tecniq 5:17 PM - 18 October, 2017
What are the specs of your machine you used it with? The NS6II is actually a really solid controller I've seen DJ's scratch perfectly fine on them.
jimiBARRZ 5:29 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
What are the specs of your machine you used it with? The NS6II is actually a really solid controller I've seen DJ's scratch perfectly fine on them.

iMac 27" Desktop
OS 10.12.6
3.2GHz Intel Core i5
8GB RAM
DJ Tecniq 5:55 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

iMac 27" Desktop
OS 10.12.6
3.2GHz Intel Core i5
8GB RAM
Did you make sure you have the correct drivers/firmware for the controller? Have you read the manual? There may be a setting to adjust the jogwheel sensitivity. I have the SR2 and it's pretty amazing for a 2 ch w/DVS support. It is much more smaller and compact as I thought about the ns6ii but it's too big and I don't really need a 4 channel.
jimiBARRZ 6:19 PM - 18 October, 2017
great idea! i read the manual, but calibration does not seem to be a topic.
Efrén 11:24 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
What up everybody,

I recently purchased a Numark NS6ii. I come form a turntable background tracing back to 1993. I've used other controllers like a: VCI400, VCI380, DDJ SR, DDJ SX2, NS7iii, and others. Upon receiving this device, I really dug the look and feel. After using it for a week, I noticed that when scratching, the sensing of my hand would go away. I lowered my buffer settings and refresh rates, but the problem still occurred. Also, the lag on the wheels is kinda unbearable. Grabbing a snare or kick is really unnatural in feeling. Compared to the above mentioned controllers, I feel that I would need to go back to a DDJ controller, since my budget is under $1K, and 2 channels are preferred. Maybe a DDJ-SR2

I will try to use this controller on a newer machine this week, and report back.

I´ve had a Numark Mixtrack Pro 3 with the same problem. I belive its a common issue amongst the Numark controllers with capacitive jogwheels, because there are similar reports into their help forum.
Also, when i connected the controller to my speakers amp, the jogs became unresponsive, as a grounding issue. I ended selling it because of that.
NorrisL 2:38 AM - 6 November, 2017
Quote:
What up everybody,

NorrisL 2:41 AM - 6 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
What up everybody,

What's up jimiBARRZ. YES! I'm having the same issue. I've been in contact with Numark already and they have sent me a replacement controller and both of them have the same issue that you're experiencing where the jog wheels aren't responsive to scratching. It's really intermittent for me and most of the time, when I try to scratch on the jog wheels, it changes the song's tempo, instead of scratching. I think I will return this and stay clear of the NS6ii, even though I was a long time fan of the NS6.
dj snow 5:04 AM - 6 November, 2017
Quote:

Having same problem with Jog wheels also.
NorrisL 3:01 PM - 6 November, 2017
I'm running Serato 1.99 on:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

I will try a new USB cable to see if that resolves the issue.
jimiBARRZ 3:26 PM - 6 November, 2017
Hey everybody,

Thanks for getting back. Sorry to hear that the problem persists for you guys.

I ended up returning my NS6ii, and got the DDJ-SR2. I truly love this machine.

I don't need 4 channels, and 2 USB ports. The controller is DVS ready so i'm good for now.

The jog wheels feel good and responsive, and the display missing on the platters is not a deal breaker for me.

Hope you guys find a good machine of your own.

Peace y'all.
DJ Tecniq 5:30 PM - 6 November, 2017
Quote:
Hey everybody,

Thanks for getting back. Sorry to hear that the problem persists for you guys.

I ended up returning my NS6ii, and got the DDJ-SR2. I truly love this machine.

I don't need 4 channels, and 2 USB ports. The controller is DVS ready so i'm good for now.

The jog wheels feel good and responsive, and the display missing on the platters is not a deal breaker for me.

Hope you guys find a good machine of your own.

Peace y'all.
Good choice I have the SR2 and love it. Just to clarify though it's not DVS ready it's DVS upgradable. Disappointed in Numark
Dysquo 12:52 AM - 29 November, 2017
Just got one yesterday. Tried it at Guitar Center and noticed a left Jog wheel issue. When I opened the box today the platters were basically unresponsive to any touch. I read on a forum that you had to have shoes on because the jogwheels and grounding. I also did a firmware update and it helped, but still think i'm going to return for a different unit.
Efrén 1:24 AM - 29 November, 2017
Quote:
Just got one yesterday. Tried it at Guitar Center and noticed a left Jog wheel issue. When I opened the box today the platters were basically unresponsive to any touch. I read on a forum that you had to have shoes on because the jogwheels and grounding. I also did a firmware update and it helped, but still think i'm going to return for a different unit.

Try grounding the unit to the amplifiers ground screw (if avaible). Something similar happened to me with a MTP3, and only with my laptop, not with the desktop pc. That was because of the 500 watts PSU installed on it. I know the amplifier is the culprit, cuz i read before that some amplifiers create an impedance difference between the audio cable plugs: the amount of current on the controller is very low in comparison to the amp which is more powerful, so grounding them togheter may help. Or buy a power conditioner, like the Furman M8DX.
NorrisL 1:24 AM - 29 November, 2017
Didn’t think to try it with shoes on but these symptoms happened with 2 units. Returned them both and got the Denon MC7000 instead.
MixmasterKemoyBrown 9:20 PM - 4 December, 2017
I had a mixtrack pro II in 2014 that had that same issue with the left jog wheel when u press the scratch mode it will only speed up and slow down the track playing.when i press down on the jogwheel and try to scratch it will work the way i resolved this was disassembly the controller remove the jog wheel and there is a same plastic washer that stop the connect to the metal if it worn down or not touching the metal it won't scratch at all so it is a grounding issue.I sold mine after fixing it and bought a SB2 and had no issues like that sold my SB2 and purchased a SR2.
Efrén 12:00 AM - 6 December, 2017
The MC7000 also suffer from touch sensitivity issues, if you aren't using well closed shoes, like tennis or flip flops, you'll feel a small electricity static on the jogs surface, like in a stove. And when the unit is plugged to an amplifier, its magnetic field increases the jogs sensitivity at the point that just hoover the hands over, stops the music.
DJ Tecniq 1:14 AM - 6 December, 2017
Damn none of this shit happens with my Pioneer deck. Feel bad for you all.
WildcardX 3:17 PM - 6 December, 2017
Does the NS6II have a grounding post on it that can allow you to connect it to some proper ground on the room or even the amplifier? Sounds like the controller is using our body as a grounding point and it could be worth a try.
v@l 3:44 PM - 6 December, 2017
Never had issues with my mc7000..
DJ Danger Tone 2:42 AM - 8 December, 2017
Im having the same problem with my ns6ii. Wearing shoes did work but its not practical at home, however that was when i was use a blue tooth speaker connected with rca leads. when i connected to my power speakers with xlr leads the problem is gone. That somehow grounded it.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:32 PM - 11 December, 2017
Hi all,

I've spoken with Numark about this issue and they have requested for anyone who is having this issue to please contact their Support Team and they'll work with you on resolving this. You can contact them here -> www.numark.com

Cheers,
Michael.
Efrén 11:21 PM - 28 December, 2017
About the grounding, I've been suffering from jog's static with two controllers; A Numark MTP3 and the Denon MC7000. At least in my case, this happens when i plug them to the power amp, but i' found that is due by the house wiring. there's only two wires (hot and neutral) and the lack of ground is the reason why my amp energizes my controllers, because it needs a ground, its three prong cable, the denon is double insulated so no need of ground, and my laptop's adapter works on both situations it is grounded and double insulated.
I warn people suffering similar issues to check the electrical wiring wherever you're gonna plug your gear, because three prong equipment always cause this kind of problems.
schmapps 1:44 PM - 29 December, 2017
Hey all.....just wanted to give my perpective on the NS6ii....I received mine about a week ago and it is working great. I love this controller!

The jogwheels work perfectly for me...I tried shoes on, shoes off, barefoot, etc. and it works great no issues. Btw I am connected through a home stereo amp with RCA cables.

Not trying to rub it in to people that are having issues, just wanted to give an alternate perspective to folks who may be thinking of buying one.

I wonder if there is some kind of strange thing going on where the capacitive jogwheels just don't react well to certain people's body chemistry/electricity or something like that?
DJ Lalit 7:31 PM - 3 January, 2018
schmapps, thanks for your input. I'm also on the fence about getting the NS6ii and the issues noted was deterring me away from it. How's the build quality? Do you have it in a case? I'm a mobile DJ so I would be using this for Mobile events.
schmapps 1:22 AM - 4 January, 2018
DJ Lalit, did you ever have the original NS6? The build quality seems very similar to that one. Nice and sturdy feeling, brushed metal body not plastic. Obviously I haven’t played with it over a long period of time but the knobs and faders feel solid. The pitch fader has a nice weight to it. I also love the filter roll/filter effect and touch effect features.

It feels good in the hands and I have full confidence in it. I had the original NS6 for 4 years and never had an issue with its build quality so I expect the same from this one.

I am just a bedroom DJ, and a few parties so I have never had a case. Bottom line, based on my experience I would recommend it for sure
DJ Lalit 5:25 AM - 4 January, 2018
No I haven't owned the original NS6 but did test it out at a local retailer. How does the jogwheel feel? I like the jogwheels of the SX2 and SZ as I have they have a little bit of tension to them. I tried going the route of the Denon MC7000 but didn't like how "loose" the jogwheels were. From what I remember of the NS6, I believe it also had loose jogwheels.

How are the up faders? Are they loose too or do they have a bit of tension. I prefer to mix using the up faders rather than the crossfader. Have you encountered issues with the jogwheels becoming unresponsive? There is a thread on here and it seems to be a common problem due to the capacitate buttons.
DJ Lalit 2:14 PM - 4 January, 2018
Schmapps, I may be able to get a good deal on a NS6. I was thinking I could purchase both the NS6 and NS6ii just so I can have a controller as a backup. The seller's best price is $500 with box and accessories and he states he only used the NS6 twice and its in mint condition. I'm thinking that's a bit too high. What do you think I should offer?
schmapps 2:55 PM - 4 January, 2018
The jogwheels on the NS6ii feel very similar to me to the original NS6....they feel like they have decent weight but are fairly loose.

The up faders are loose too. They do not have the tension like the pitch slider does.

I have not encountered any issues with the jogwheels becoming unresponsive.

$500 seems high to me for an original NS6. (especially if it is American $) Unless "with box" means a case of some kind?

If there is no flight case included I would say you wouldn't want to pay more than $350 US for an original NS6 but that's just my opinion
DJ Lalit 3:18 PM - 4 January, 2018
Thanks. He has no case but does have the original packaging with box.
DJ Special K 8:41 PM - 10 January, 2018
I just got my n6II yesterday and banged out 4 radio mixes barefoot. I have one issue that may be user related and one gripe. The play/pause buttons are pretty close to the cross fader, I had to learn not to incidently hit the pause button. However, it is not a large controller. My issue is the jog wheel. I don't see the catch up arrows within the display. Not a big deal, just a lazy way of mixing. I had the Ns6 before and the left turntable does slip quite a bit. I bought it from a pawn shop so I was happy it worked at all! Usually when i hear an S2, I don't care for the sound quality, does pioneer use 24bit sound in their controllers? CDJ wise, I was pioneer only but never cared the sound output on the controllers
Serato, Support
Sam GG 8:36 PM - 29 January, 2018
Hey Everyone,

Numark have put together a firmware update that should resolve the platter touch problems with the NS6II. Please download the new FW installer here: www.numark.com there are separate versions for Mac and Windows.

If you have any trouble with the installer or experience any platter issues after the update, please get in touch with Numark support staff to let them know.

Cheers,
Sam