DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mackie thump 15 Limiting early?

Gussy123 11:04 AM - 4 September, 2017
Hey, I recently bought one of the mackie thump 15s and was wondering why the speaker overload limiter was activated so early when the bass is slightly turned up?
Gussy123 11:06 AM - 4 September, 2017
PS: it is linked to a Behringer 802 mixer that is linked to my phone (I know this isn't exaclty a high end setup)
dj_soo 3:41 PM - 4 September, 2017
1) it's a cheap speaker that doesn't get loud

2) turning up the bass reduces headroom and will initiate limiting earlier.
Gussy123 5:27 PM - 4 September, 2017
Quote:

Okay thank you for the reply, do you recommend any other speaker under £400 that will be somewhat louder and that won't limit at lower volumes?
dj_soo 5:47 PM - 4 September, 2017
Yamaha dbr series is going to be the loudest entry level speaker on the market

That said, almost all speakers are going to limit earlier if you turn up the bass.

The question is why are you turning up the bass in the first place? If there isn't enough bass, you should be looking at getting a sub.
Gussy123 9:50 AM - 5 September, 2017
Quote:
Yamaha dbr series is going to be the loudest entry level speaker on the market

That said, almost all speakers are going to limit earlier if you turn up the bass.

The question is why are you turning up the bass in the first place? If there isn't enough bass, you should be looking at getting a sub.

That's actually what I was thinking also, would you recommend instead of buying another speaker just get an active subwoofer?
Logisticalstyles 1:54 PM - 5 September, 2017
Quote:

Quote:
would you recommend instead of buying another speaker just get an active subwoofer?

The only way I can get the Thumps to go loud is when I use them with an active sub. I have a Mackie SRM1801 sub. It has a full range pass through and a high pass through. I connect to the sub first then the connect the Thumps to the High pass output. Only then can I get a decent sound from them without clipping. I never use the Thumps alone for any gig that has more than 50 people. Otherwise they will clip really quick.
Gussy123 7:04 PM - 5 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
would you recommend instead of buying another speaker just get an active subwoofer?

The only way I can get the Thumps to go loud is when I use them with an active sub. I have a Mackie SRM1801 sub. It has a full range pass through and a high pass through. I connect to the sub first then the connect the Thumps to the High pass output. Only then can I get a decent sound from them without clipping. I never use the Thumps alone for any gig that has more than 50 people. Otherwise they will clip really quick.

I understand, is there any other active sub woofer you recommend that isn't as expensive?

Thanks.
Logisticalstyles 8:20 PM - 5 September, 2017
There are probably others on the boards that can give a better recommendation when it comes to subs. I got mine from a Guitar center outlet store for $350 brand new. I've been searching for another one but I can't seem to find one for less than $600 used, which is odd since it is a discontinued sub.

The cheapest I've seen decent subs go for is in the $800 range. Unless you find a deal.
dj_soo 4:19 AM - 6 September, 2017
most subs in the same quality level of thumps aren't really going to do much. tops in general have more headroom once you high pass them and subs are going to limit much faster when they're cheap.

Will it sound better than the thumps on their own? Absolutely. Will it make up for the beginner level of your tops? Probably not.

The DBRs will at the very least sound better on their own than the thumps and give you room to grow at least a bit.