Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ 2.0 update

U.D. 12:32 PM - 29 August, 2017
Dear Serato Team,

could you share any news regarding the Serato DJ product roadmap -
when can users expect a 2.0 update, before the end of the year??

Personally I would love to see an update to the UI and a improvements on core functionality
more than anything. The 1.9.xy series has been going on for over 18 months now.

Many thanks
mixgoonie 3:22 PM - 29 August, 2017
Is there really a 2.0 update planned ?
U.D. 3:28 PM - 29 August, 2017
Well the pace of innovation and progress has me wondering if Serato have a standing software development team on this at all. For a "world-leading" product, it's going a bit slow...
mixgoonie 3:45 PM - 29 August, 2017
When you see the leader DJ software Traktor hasen't provided any update since more than one year, why can Serato not do the same :)

More seriously, i hope you are right... So many feature which are missing.
Rebelguy 4:00 PM - 29 August, 2017
Quote:
When you see the leader DJ software Traktor hasen't provided any update since more than one year, why can Serato not do the same :)

More seriously, i hope you are right... So many feature which are missing.

So many? Such as what?

In regards to version numbers, many would consider Ableton world class software and they have been on version 9 since March of 2013.
DJ Matty Stiles 5:15 PM - 29 August, 2017
Quote:
Well the pace of innovation and progress has me wondering if Serato have a standing software development team on this at all. For a "world-leading" product, it's going a bit slow...

As the years went by I just gave up hope of waiting for decent updates. I mean look how long it took to develop a decent keylock, and even then it uses up a huge amount of horsepower. Still waiting for decent FX.

Call me old fashioned, but the updates were more steady, reliable and consistent in the scratch live era, before they worried about catering to every controller on the market. It seems when they streamlined into serato DJ it was one step forward and 2 steps backwards. When you have so many people complaining about stability, it has to count for something.
But hey, I guess you gotta make money. I just really miss those days
DJ Tecniq 7:35 PM - 29 August, 2017
Scratchlive was God...SDJ is the Devil
al83 9:28 PM - 29 August, 2017
Quote:

SSL is still god! Still use it everyday.

There's lots I like about SDJ but lots that I don't as well, lets hope the devs have been paying attention to long time users and finally bring SDJ up to scratch (pun not intended!) with V2.
alec.tron 10:13 PM - 29 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
So many feature which are missing.

So many? Such as what?

- stability / reliability, especially w DVS

- lightweight / not bloated, should run on a cheap laptop you don't mind having drinks spilled on... if you need a high end gaming PC to run half way smooth for a DJ software, something has gone wrong badly in product planning, management & development

- not archaic / limited / buggy library management, meaning
- - rating support
- - multi value metadata support (i.e. multiple genre tags)
- - custom metadata support (for all formats... via TXXX: for mp3 id3 standards)
- - multi format (mass) playlist handling. Mass importing/exporting playlists should have been standard from SSL day 1.
- - nice to have - metadata interpreter / user mapping (i.e. how rating values get interpreted & displayed for example...)

(- don't sound like a tin can without having Pitch&Time)

And these are just the top 3 for me... whereas all are dealbreakers in themselves and the reason I'm using SDJ at home only, as SSL at least has the first 2 covered...

My few cents.
c.
DjSyndic8 10:26 PM - 29 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

There's lots I like about SDJ but lots that I don't as well, lets hope the devs have been paying attention to long time users and finally bring SDJ up to scratch (pun not intended!) with V2.

we know that but do u guys know why Serato Scratch Live was better?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:48 PM - 29 August, 2017
Quote:

Probably because it was written to work with a few Hardware devices from a few companies and not every toy controller by MULTIPLE companies that are released every week???
Rebelguy 11:10 PM - 29 August, 2017
And the feature set wasn't as expansive as SDJ.
Rebelguy 11:13 PM - 29 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So many feature which are missing.

So many? Such as what?

- lightweight / not bloated, should run on a cheap laptop you don't mind having drinks spilled on... if you need a high end gaming PC to run half way smooth for a DJ software, something has gone wrong badly in product planning, management & development

- - rating support
- - custom metadata support (for all formats... via TXXX: for mp3 id3 standards)
- - multi format (mass) playlist handling. Mass importing/exporting playlists should have been standard from SSL day 1.
- - nice to have - metadata interpreter / user mapping (i.e. how rating values get interpreted & displayed for example...)

And these are just the top 3 for me... whereas all are dealbreakers in themselves and the reason I'm using SDJ at home only, as SSL at least has the first 2 covered...

My few cents.
c.

SDJ has the first two covered for me as well. #3 is way deeper than I would ever require for library management.
Telony Ex 1:02 AM - 30 August, 2017
Pioneer currently has its 5.0 in beta, slowly bating at serato users with a likely prospects of giving us what we desire from sdj. I love sdj but the writings are on the wall. Unless the come with a killer 2.0 rock solid and light weight. Then pioneer with there bag of money will be a force to rekon with in a couple years. Did u see dem ringside at the mayweather fight.
DJ Matty Stiles 4:46 AM - 30 August, 2017
alec.tron you hit the nail on the head
DJ Tecniq 5:53 AM - 30 August, 2017
Quote:
I can name a big reason why...master output level. The way it worked in SSL was so much better cause it would also affect the track gain levels in SDJ to resolve clipping..essentially auto gain was useless for that reason alone. However the master output level in SDJ does not work this way so if you track gains are clipping you manually have to do it yourself. Master output level in ssl was the bomb it corrected all the problems with redlining gain levels it was genius.
DJ Tecniq 5:53 AM - 30 August, 2017
Affect track gains in SSL* I meant
DJ Matty Stiles 9:05 AM - 30 August, 2017
^ I wonder why theres such a disparity. I also wonder, if they can get it working with SSL, why cant they get it working properly with SDJ?
U.D. 11:13 AM - 30 August, 2017
Quote:
Pioneer currently has its 5.0 in beta, slowly bating at serato users with a likely prospects of giving us what we desire from sdj. I love sdj but the writings are on the wall. Unless they come with a killer 2.0 rock solid and light weight. Then pioneer with there bag of money will be a force to rekon with in a couple years. Did u see dem ringside at the mayweather fight.

Yes Rekordbox is getting a lot of things right. Too bad I love my Vestax VCI 380 so much and the platters are not working there.

Another key feature to stick with Serato is how it deals with loops, giving the option
to jump the playhead to a loop or just activate the loop and come on when it does.
Exactly how Pioneer and N.I. can miss such a simple and effective DJing trick is a mystery.

And yes; Pioneer as ring sponsor wow!
That would have been a sponsorship bill north of $10mio.
DJ Tecniq 2:43 PM - 30 August, 2017
Quote:
^ I wonder why theres such a disparity. I also wonder, if they can get it working with SSL, why cant they get it working properly with SDJ?
No idea some numb nut thought a new master output level in SDJ would be better I guess...wrong cause now if your shits clipping you'll have to manually adjust track gain yourself. While in ssl lowering the MOL would also decrease the audio level for the track gains so clipping was hardly an issue now in SDJ I still get clipped gains even at 91db or lower auto gain and I'm always having to adjust the gain meters...it's a lot of work and didn't make things easier just more difficult...
R-A-C 6:50 PM - 30 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

me too which is why i don't care much about recent updates. especially since they usually mean more bloat and more load for no reason.

but it seems the controller kids are what brings the bucks so pretty much all companies try to please them ... and by that neglecting the serious stuff.
Phillip Icon 8:16 PM - 30 August, 2017
Hi. I'm looking to buy mixtrack pro 3 I've learnt I have to pay more to use the full software how much would the upgrade be and would I have to pay anything more after upgrade.
Culprit 8:26 PM - 30 August, 2017
in regards to ableton. Didnt some core members leave the company and form another company and create competing production software?
DJ Tecniq 8:51 PM - 30 August, 2017
Quote:
Hi. I'm looking to buy mixtrack pro 3 I've learnt I have to pay more to use the full software how much would the upgrade be and would I have to pay anything more after upgrade.
Your hardware is limited with Serato DJ intro software if you want to unlock it for full Serato DJ use it's only a one time fee of $99 or you can do the subscription fee for $10 month however I can't find the subscription option...did they get rid of that lol?
DJ Tecniq 8:53 PM - 30 August, 2017
Quote:
To purchase Serato DJ see here however you can also download Serato DJ and try the 14 day free trial with your hardware.
store.serato.com
Rebelguy 8:58 PM - 30 August, 2017
Quote:
in regards to ableton. Didnt some core members leave the company and form another company and create competing production software?

I think they started bitwig.

www.bitwig.com
kvnkrz 11:58 PM - 30 August, 2017
There was a livd video somwhere at djexpo. trying out the Prime series with serato 2.0..

Or more like
1.9.8 Denon Prime
1.9.9 Rane 12/72
2.0.0??
DJ Matty Stiles 12:37 AM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
No idea some numb nut thought a new master output level in SDJ would be better I guess...wrong cause now if your shits clipping you'll have to manually adjust track gain yourself. While in ssl lowering the MOL would also decrease the audio level for the track gains so clipping was hardly an issue now in SDJ I still get clipped gains even at 91db or lower auto gain and I'm always having to adjust the gain meters...it's a lot of work and didn't make things easier just more difficult...

I do notice a fair bit of redlining in SDJ. You'd think it would be an improvement from SSL...
DJ Tecniq 1:23 AM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
I do notice a fair bit of redlining in SDJ. You'd think it would be an improvement from SSL...
Shits been like that since the beginning of SDJ you'd think they'd fix it by now...#foreverredlining
al83 10:21 AM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
There was a livd video somwhere at djexpo. trying out the Prime series with serato 2.0..

Or more like
1.9.8 Denon Prime
1.9.9 Rane 12/72
2.0.0??

Got a link?

I'd say we're almost certain to get another 1 or 2 point release before the big 2.0 dropping for Namm 2018 in Jan.
dj zaza 4:27 PM - 31 August, 2017
In my opinion, they had to leave SSL for dvs, adding the mixers who arrived with time, like s9, Rane tt57mk2 and others, and convert ITCH to Serato dj for controllers, so the dvs software would remain performing without Require too many resources to computers, create two separate development groups for dvs and controllers, this was the way to go for me. I use rekordbox in beta 5 with a Surface Laptop i5 and it's fine. I hope I do not have to wait until January for a version 2.0. Another positive note of Rekordbox is that it runs perfectly on both windows and macs, waveforms are a pleasure to see as Serato Dj on Mac, instead Serato on WIndows is a sadness, we have been asking for years to solve lags on windows , But never succeeded, pioneer did not make a difference between the two systems, it brought the software to the same sandards on both platforms. We hope to have news soon.
DJ Genisis 5:11 PM - 31 August, 2017
PLEASE HELP! I had to switch my laptop because the motherboard went out on my old one. I deactivated and reactivated the license several times but my mix track pro 3 still won't connect with my Serato DJ. it just keeps saying "Mixtrack pro 3 hardware connecting this can take up to one minute". PLEASE HELP ASAP
John Calipari 6:41 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:

Yeah, and they totally took the Ableton Session View Interface with them then added infinite Groups within Groups and the ability to drag-n-drop everything, including full tracks.

But Ableton's Ace-In-The Hole is Push
John Calipari 7:20 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:

- - rating support

Some of these are subjective

-SDJ has been nothing but stable for me since Yosemite and I'm on macOS High Sierra Dev Beta 7

I do agree about the bloat that comes from being compatible with so many hardware skus, but Specs are high for most all professional Media Software/DAWs. Even a base install Serato is tasking a CPU to process multiple FX, filters, & waveform data, with multiple streams of audio . . all with latency settings as low as 1ms and 60fups and all simultaneously. Enable Sampler, Video and PnT and it gets even more intensive.

It's 50/50 crowd. Some want a slim clean stable basic interface, others want to add every feature that pops in their head. Serato, and Traktor, have walked this tightrope for years.

BTW- I don't doubt that Serato will overhaul their library management . . . in time
Head034 12:11 AM - 1 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, and they totally took the Ableton Session View Interface with them then added infinite Groups within Groups and the ability to drag-n-drop everything, including full tracks.

But Ableton's Ace-In-The Hole is Push

Speaking of Ableton / Searto.. Can Serato DJ 2.0 Bring back "The Bridge" in 2.0 or do something within the Serato Dj 2.0 software that can do similar (all the audio/midi editing feature are godsend!).

Sure would be nice to use all these controllers and new mixers with a "Bridge 2.0"

I havent updated my OSX operating system and Rane 61 because I use Scratch Live with "The Bridge" alot! It was a dream that came true, then vanished.
Dj Ricky Redz 12:57 AM - 1 September, 2017
people do remember, newer software usually needs a better system to run it!

more features = more resources used.

IMHO, a 2012 MacBook Pro with an i7 processor and an ssd should be the starting machine once u plan on using more than just the regular mixing features.
alec.tron 2:43 AM - 1 September, 2017
Quote:
-SDJ has been nothing but stable for me since Yosemite and I'm on macOS High Sierra Dev Beta 7

I do not doubt that & that's great.
But, for people on windows, that is not the case, whereas for SDJ, and SSL for a long time as well, the windows platform has been a second-class product, in terms of stability (obviously not by intend, but evident by SDJ releases & constant issues on Windows specifically).
And, this is only true for Serato as a developer & their products... and before anyone drags out the old 'but windows is always less stable' argument:
Other devs such as Native Instruments/Traktor as well as Pioneer/Rekordbox, as well as most DAW developers, do manage to ship equally stable audio software releases on both platforms for the last decade or so.

Quote:
BTW- I don't doubt that Serato will overhaul their library management . . . in time

I really do hope that time is soon... plus the stability issues being addressed.

Quote:
IMHO, a 2012 MacBook Pro with an i7 processor and an ssd should be the starting machine once u plan on using more than just the regular mixing features.

True for SDJ. Case in point.
As a general statement this is bs though imo.
A DVS / Digital DJ system does not have to be a resource hog. Period.
That's just another proof for a bad software framework imo (or rather no framework and probably, by the difficulties/fear to touch any moving parts in SDJ and/or do fundamental improvements for long standing issues, one monolithic code-block no one dares to touch...That's just speculation as I never worked at Serato though).

c.
kvnkrz 12:14 PM - 1 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Or more like
1.9.8 Denon Prime
1.9.9 Rane 12/72
2.0.0??

Got a link?

I'd say we're almost certain to get another 1 or 2 point release before the big 2.0 dropping for Namm 2018 in Jan.

youtu.be
DJ dVO 2:28 PM - 1 September, 2017
It's real funny reading this type of threads. One school don't want any features and love the stability of SSL and would love to stay in the past with it. The other wants more features than what they can actually do. In all honesty, if Serato recycles one of the old releases and label it as a 2.0, no one would know the difference. Ha ha ha.

BTW, stability and reliability are not features.
al83 5:21 PM - 1 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Or more like
1.9.8 Denon Prime
1.9.9 Rane 12/72
2.0.0??

Got a link?

youtu.be

From the very limited time the lo-res screen is visible it looks identical to SDJ as it is now, probably just 1.9.x with beta Denon support..
acemc 6:04 PM - 3 September, 2017
Quote:
From the very limited time the lo-res screen is visible it looks identical to SDJ as it is now, probably just 1.9.x with beta Denon support.

I also can't see anything of interest in that video.... Am I missing something?
WildcardX 7:23 PM - 4 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
From the very limited time the lo-res screen is visible it looks identical to SDJ as it is now, probably just 1.9.x with beta Denon support.

Latest Release Serato 1.9.7 doesn't have this listed Denon Prime series as supported hardware yet it was being used with Serato at DJ Expo.
dj_spark 9:06 PM - 5 September, 2017
Quote:

The screens of the SC5000 have the tracks of the Serato library displayed. This means HID or some other native support.
acemc 9:07 PM - 5 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Latest Release Serato 1.9.7 doesn't have this listed Denon Prime series as supported hardware yet it was being used with Serato at DJ Expo.

Aah - I get it now - Thanks.
kvnkrz 6:05 PM - 7 September, 2017
1.9.8 is out..
acemc 6:26 PM - 7 September, 2017
Lol - not much better than 1.9.7
popnwave 6:29 PM - 7 September, 2017
make it stop.
al83 7:19 PM - 7 September, 2017
1.9.9. Denon Prime players...
DJ TooHypE 7:41 PM - 7 September, 2017
2.0.0 Supports all Legacy Devices... (I wish hah lol)
acemc 7:42 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
make it stop.

Haha - that's good!!!
DJ Matty Stiles 3:56 AM - 8 September, 2017
all they do is support new shit and the software becomes more bloated
popnwave 5:10 PM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:

Such is life. Losing battle as with any technology.
Maverick the DJ 6:45 AM - 9 September, 2017
If they wanted to shock and bring loads of new customers I would think they make serato dj full work with other products that don't already have prepaid licenses. Like virtual DJ, this is one reason I haven't even tried rekordbox.
dj_spark 12:00 PM - 9 September, 2017
Rekordbox work with any soundcard in DVS. You can map a lot of thing too...
AddamXavier 12:30 AM - 10 September, 2017
Quote:
2.0.0 Supports all Legacy Devices... (I wish hah lol)

More likely, if the versioning follows the standard, it would be the opposite. In application versioning, a major version can indicate a significant change that breaks previous compatibility.

That being said, I seriously doubt Serato would even consider doing this. They didn't do that on SSL and there's no reason for them to do it when they eventually have a 2.0 release. As had been said elsewhere, they don't have to go to 2.0 after 1.9.9, it would go to 1.10 (See OS X/MacOS) onward.
maarawoe 1:10 PM - 11 September, 2017
Wondering why is anyone expecting 1.9 to be followed by 2.0 rather than 1.10...
Rebelguy 4:58 PM - 11 September, 2017
Quote:

Because they followed a similar numbering plan with scratchlive. Apples method really doesn't make much sense.
DjSyndic8 11:51 PM - 11 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Such is life. Losing battle as with any technology.

below zero reference :) love that show
DJ LIL M 12:44 AM - 12 September, 2017
They better fix the echo out thats been requested for more then a year now lol
DJ Tecniq 4:00 AM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
They better fix the echo out thats been requested for more then a year now lol
its been broke since the first SDJ release lol
Ragman 5:14 AM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:

Well it's because 1.10 comes before 1.90 (i.e. 1.10, 1.20, 1.30 etc.) :-|
Rebelguy 6:12 AM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly.
akakak 12:30 PM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly.

In versioning 1.9 is not the same as 1.90.

Version numbers for software are not decimal numbers. The dot is a separator, not a decimal place. 1.9.8 is obviously not a valid number (try it in a calculator). There's no reason not to go to 1.10 after 1.9.

The idea that when they get to 1.9.9 they can't release any more versions until 2.0 is ridiculous. Who would agree to being constrained like that?
AddamXavier 1:22 PM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly.

In versioning 1.9 is not the same as 1.90.

Version numbers for software are not decimal numbers. The dot is a separator, not a decimal place. 1.9.8 is obviously not a valid number (try it in a calculator). There's no reason not to go to 1.10 after 1.9.

The idea that when they get to 1.9.9 they can't release any more versions until 2.0 is ridiculous. Who would agree to being constrained like that?

This guy knows. And while Ragman is correct, we haven't gotten to 1.90 yet. we have, at a minimum 89 more releases to go before we get there. To add onto what akakak said, whenever someone says "1.9" the version can be inferred at least to be "1.9.0.0", but it could be something like "1.9.7.2901". A good way of thinking of all versions is with leading zeros, like 0001.0009.0008.0000 we just remove them for simplicity. If anyone is genuinely interested in the subject, wikipedia covers it pretty well: en.wikipedia.org
howard09 3:14 AM - 6 December, 2017
Quote:
PLEASE HELP! I had to switch my laptop because the motherboard went out on my old one. I deactivated and reactivated the license several times but my mix track pro 3 still won't connect with my Serato DJ. it just keeps saying "Mixtrack pro 3 hardware connecting this can take up to one minute". PLEASE HELP ASAP

Have you tried connecting to different usb on your laptop /computer .And do you have the updated drivers downloaded for your controller. I get the same thing sometimes and what I do is restart my laptop with the controller plugged into my laptop. If it still does the same thing I usely try different USB on my laptop I have 3 USB on my laptop if that doesn't work get back to me I will find out more for you
Dj G Slimm 8:50 PM - 14 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

When they decided to split from Rane and Launch Serato as its own with the new Serato DJ software is where the problem started...the only thing I can figure is there must be some patents that couldn't be brought over to Serato DJ in terms of the audio gains on the decks and the master volume and clipping issue....the other problem I seem to have with Serato is if Virtual DJ, Traktor, Pioneer RekordBox, and any other DJ software out there can get there key lock to work correctly why didn't they just fixed the key lock to work correctly instead the fix in in Pitch n Time and they made folks pay for something that should have been fixed in updates going all the way back to scratch live 1.4 or 5...any new features added Serato has made us pay money for and other software companies are adding the same features for FREE...I would have switched to RekordBox already but it loads the library too slow and I still can't figure out how to customize the library to resemble the way I have it in Serato DJ
popnwave 9:36 PM - 14 December, 2017
The software is still way cheaper than hardware, the cost of plugins is pennies compared to any hardware rig I've ever used.
Blank_Disk 8:59 AM - 18 December, 2017
Quote:
people do remember, newer software usually needs a better system to run it!

more features = more resources used.

agreed about a powerful system is required for stability, tried using laptops in the past, and you can go as low as a quad core 1.6 ghz as long as you clean install windows without all the bloatware manufacturers install, also a massive fix is use a minimum of 8gb of ram, an ssd rather than conventional hard drive or a hybrid ssd/hdd, as i have noticed almost all on road dj's put their library of tunes on external hard drive so you don't need a huge hard drive in a laptop to run serato, personally i run a desktop i74790, 16gb ram super m2 256ssd, pioneer sx2 & i never have hang ups or any stability issues.
dj_spark 5:07 PM - 18 December, 2017
So much power to just blend some mp3 files ?
There is a lack of optimisation somewhere here...
popnwave 5:16 PM - 18 December, 2017
Quote:
So much power to just blend some mp3 files ?
There is a lack of optimisation somewhere here...

It's not the music that takes the ooomph it's the selection and mixing itself that is going to take machine learning or AI improvements. Look at an app like Pyro, it's neat but some stuff it's just too dumb to account for key clashes and stuff where the bpm is just mismatched (not close to half beat and more than 8% +/-).

I'll worry when it will see a playlist and be smart enough that the next song is too different to pull off and grab something as an intermediate to be between it for a better transmission.
raedonquan 7:08 PM - 18 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When they decided to split from Rane and Launch Serato as its own with the new Serato DJ software is where the problem started...the only thing I can figure is there must be some patents that couldn't be brought over to Serato DJ in terms of the audio gains on the decks and the master volume and clipping issue....the other problem I seem to have with Serato is if Virtual DJ, Traktor, Pioneer RekordBox, and any other DJ software out there can get there key lock to work correctly why didn't they just fixed the key lock to work correctly instead the fix in in Pitch n Time and they made folks pay for something that should have been fixed in updates going all the way back to scratch live 1.4 or 5...any new features added Serato has made us pay money for and other software companies are adding the same features for FREE...I would have switched to RekordBox already but it loads the library too slow and I still can't figure out how to customize the library to resemble the way I have it in Serato DJ

DVS and Video is not free in Rekordbox... it is free to use on the 30 day trial