Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Beat Jump Remapping

CristianoV 11:01 AM - 24 August, 2017
Hello, searched all the way in the forum but can't find any help.

Please, how do i remap the beat jump function in a ddj sz, so that the first row of the performance pads are +4, +8, +16, +32 and the second row are -4, -8, -16, -32?

Is it possibile?
Cwite 4:08 PM - 24 August, 2017
No you can't do that sort of mapping. The values can't be linked to the direction. I hate the standard controls too. The nearest I've come up with, is to map the pads in value to prime a jump, then use the parameters to jump forwards and backwards. This works quite well for me and it leaves the roll loop function alone.

I ideally I would want a separate pad mode with a pad value jumping forward, then a shift+pad doing a negative jump. But I can't do that either.
MutterOberin 2:29 PM - 1 September, 2017
I guess you could map that if you manipulate the xml file.

I have no hardware to test it, but the days when they manually mapped pitch play they used one button to trigger two midi events. This can be done in the xml not in the mapping UI.

Basically you have to map "set beat jump value = 4" and "perform jump back" to one pad and "set beat jump value = 8" and "perform jump back" and so on...
lindsaymar 12:01 PM - 30 October, 2018
Quote:

Please, how do i remap the beat jump function in a ddj sz, so that the first row of the performance pads are +4, +8, +16, +32 and the second row are -4, -8, -16, -32?

Is it possibile?

I wish it did.

I want to remap my S9 to do the same thing.
It's originally mapped to have 2 inside buttons adjust the beat jump size and 2 outside buttons to trigger the jump, backwards or forwards.
The issue is, I don't want to have to look at my computer to know my beat jump size, then adjust it, then trigger it.
If it was mappable how you suggest it would be a matter of pressing one pad and no need to check your laptop screen. SO MUCH BETTER!!!

CWITE idea is the next best option. It's just unfortunate to waste so many buttons to accomplish the work around.
MutterOberin 12:34 PM - 30 October, 2018
Quote:

I have no hardware to test it, but the days when they manually mapped pitch play they used one button to trigger two midi events. This can be done in the xml not in the mapping UI.

Since I do have the hardware now, I can have a look if the mapping can be done that way.
MutterOberin 6:46 PM - 30 October, 2018
I started putting some information and sample mappings together.

Find an example for beat jump here:

github.com
lindsaymar 10:31 PM - 1 November, 2018
Alt+Clicking while midi mapping will allow some extra functionality on some features, such as loops. Like mapping/triggering a defined Loop Roll length.

I know it's not a defined beat jump length, and a little off topic but it may help out with work arounds during mapping for some people.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:41 AM - 3 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Is it possibile?

I wish it did.

I want to remap my S9 to do the same thing.
It's originally mapped to have 2 inside buttons adjust the beat jump size and 2 outside buttons to trigger the jump, backwards or forwards.
The issue is, I don't want to have to look at my computer to know my beat jump size, then adjust it, then trigger it.
If it was mappable how you suggest it would be a matter of pressing one pad and no need to check your laptop screen. SO MUCH BETTER!!!

CWITE idea is the next best option. It's just unfortunate to waste so many buttons to accomplish the work around.

That cycling through loop/beat jump value is one thing that irks me about Serato DJ. I cant count the number of times during peak time that I've looped 1/4 or 1/8 by accident

Rekordboxdj implemented the beatjump differently. It's in fixed values.
MutterOberin 1:23 AM - 3 November, 2018
DJ Marv, I think the loops are fine, the auto loop pad mode is good. You get the loop you want.

For loop jumps you have to get creative with the mappings....

What hardware do you use?
dj_soo 7:59 PM - 3 November, 2018
I’ve gotten so used to the default controls that when I tried rekordbox dj, their controls really threw me off.

What I usually do is hit the cycle right a bunch each times to reset to 32 beats and just use that as reference to get to the length I want.

I do think maybe a color code or something would work better.
Cwite 1:04 PM - 7 November, 2018
The reason I remapped beat jump the way I did, is so I could do forwards and backwards jumps at different values very fast. Really mess with a song. I decided to use the sampler part of my pad modes because I always use a Reloop Neon to trigger my samples (It is much easier to see all the mode settings on one of those) so it was kind of a redundant section to me. Beat jump just isn't useable in a creative way in its standard mapping.
Glisco 11:57 AM - 7 March, 2019
Quote:
No you can't do that sort of mapping. The values can't be linked to the direction. I hate the standard controls too. The nearest I've come up with, is to map the pads in value to prime a jump, then use the parameters to jump forwards and backwards. This works quite well for me and it leaves the roll loop function alone.

I ideally I would want a separate pad mode with a pad value jumping forward, then a shift+pad doing a negative jump. But I can't do that either.

Is this seriously still an issue??!!!! The current beatjump is so confusing! Can anyone explain what Cwite means by "map the pads in value to prime a jump, then use the parameters to jump forwards and backwards."? I'm using an SX2.

Thanks,
Cwite 8:56 PM - 7 March, 2019
Glisco, I have mapped beat jump values to my sample pads when combined with a shift press.
So the samples work as normal when I need them, but holding shift and pressing a pad will then let me set a beat jump value.
I set the values like roll loop values. Going from 1/4 beat pad one up to 16 beats on pad 8.
Then pressing shift whilst pressing the parameter buttons will jump forward with > and backwards with <
Works great for me.
This let's me have decent beat jump controls without sacrificing full roll loops.
Glisco 3:22 AM - 2 June, 2019
Thanks Cwrite for the advice. Followed your advice about the shift but it was getting on my nerves having to use shift every time I needed to beatjump. Realised I don't even like loop roll so just mapped over that. It took me a while to get my head around what I needed to do so if anyone needs this in future, I'll explain how I did it for my ddjsx2. There's lots of youtube videos on how to midi map so just watch one of those if you're unsure.

Serato doesn't let you map a button as jump forward 4 beats, or back 4 beats. You can't only set the beatjump value (e.g. 4 beats) then use the beatjump back or beatjump forward buttons to go back or forward by that amount. Under the Roll pads, I used pad 1 for jump back and 5 for jump forward. This way they are accessible and easily to switch between. Then you need to map the beatjump values (numbers) to the remaining pads. I mapped pad 2 as 1/2 beat, pad 3 as 1 beat, pad 4 as 4 beats, pad 6 as 8 beats, pad 7 as 16 beats, and pad 8 as 32 beats. This set up is handy as when you click on your menu option (in my case, Roll), you can see what value is selected without having to check the screen, you can then easily change the value if you want or just use the back or forward pads (1 or 5) to use the current value.

Hope that helps someone out there. I know it's saved me from changing to rekordbox....
MutterOberin 1:15 PM - 2 June, 2019
Glisco, you can have a button "jump forward 4 beats" and another one "jump forward 2 beats" if you want. As I said earlier you have to to that in the xml file. The basic idea is use one midi event (press of a button) to trigger two actions (set value to n beats + jump forward). With this you can have both at once.

github.com

I think they are a bit unfinished but a good starting point.