DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

New competitor... Electrovoice Evolve 50 Column Speakers

DJ GaFFle 8:07 PM - 11 August, 2017
Is EV too late to the game and playing catch up or nah?

Watchwww.youtube.com
Rebelguy 10:02 PM - 11 August, 2017
I think they may be too late.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:32 PM - 16 August, 2017
They will be right on time if the price is right.
Gio Alex 5:45 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:
They will be right on time if the price is right.

True. Would be nice to have options, especially since EV is reputable with great price points.
Gio Alex 5:48 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:
I think they may be too late.

They mentioned they've been working on it for 3 years. From the ground up, apparently.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Taipanic 5:57 PM - 16 August, 2017
There's always people needing P.A. so if they make a good product at a decent price they will just move ahead and reap profits from here on out. They have the name & reputation that they can sit back on the "Next Big Thing" and tweak and develop a better version a year or two out. Sure, you lost the first adapters, but if the result is a better product that resolves mistakes of the competitor's models than they will sell even more.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 6:18 PM - 16 August, 2017
EV just secured a win with that new ELX200 line. Great entry level product with DSP & Bluetooth.
Rebelguy 7:17 PM - 16 August, 2017
Why do people get so excited about Bluetooth. The range and reliability it pretty bad and something that should not be used in a professional environment. One wedding coordinator I work with frequently told me that a DJ had set up a Bluetooth speaker for a couple's wedding ceremony. He was 25 feet away. Everything tested well until guests started showing up. It was dropping out all through the ceremony.
Gio Alex 7:19 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:
Why do people get so excited about Bluetooth. The range and reliability it pretty bad

This I do agree it. I think bad is an understatement. I think it's awful. Even at home I play music wirelessly through wifi as opposed to bluetooth.
Gio Alex 7:29 PM - 16 August, 2017
HOWEVER

You will be able to adjust the speaker settings (bass, treble, dsp) via bluetooth those, and select which speaker. That's pretty cool.
Taipanic 8:16 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Why do people get so excited about Bluetooth. The range and reliability it pretty bad

This I do agree it. I think bad is an understatement. I think it's awful. Even at home I play music wirelessly through wifi as opposed to bluetooth.

The Bluetooth is for controlling the settings of the speaker and receiving alerts when they are overdriven, it is not being used for transmitting audio signal, I believe.
Gio Alex 8:19 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:
The Bluetooth is for controlling the settings of the speaker and receiving alerts when they are overdriven, it is not being used for transmitting audio signal, I believe.

I just wrote that above you lol. But the app isn't available yet.

However, it is ALSO used for playing audio via ipod/iphone.
Taipanic 11:09 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

OK, cool, couldn't find that in the specs I found so far.
Gio Alex 11:50 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

OK, cool, couldn't find that in the specs I found so far.

Yeah I watched a demo of it. I can share the link, just gotta look for it.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:44 PM - 17 August, 2017
Quote:
HOWEVER

You will be able to adjust the speaker settings (bass, treble, dsp) via bluetooth those, and select which speaker. That's pretty cool.

Ding Ding Ding!!!

Not to mention streaming from a media device is a big win for some people.
dj_soo 10:34 PM - 17 August, 2017
Retail $1599 I've been told.
Gio Alex 2:10 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:

hmmm, so about the price of an evox 8 give or take
Gio Alex 2:13 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:

You were right! B&H has em on preorder for $1599 and they drop in OCT

www.bhphotovideo.com
Mike Sinclair 9:46 PM - 22 August, 2017
Evolve 50s look pretty cool. I have a few problems with the design though. For me, I'd be afraid some dumb-ass drunk would trip and fall into the column sideways and bend it. Plus, I don't like that you can't choose the height. It's locked at "one size fits all" and you can't turn them. I have the Evox 8s right now and absolutely love everything about them. The Evolves do look pretty sleek though.
Mike Sinclair 7:24 PM - 12 October, 2017
I bought a pair to compare to the Evox 8s. One of mine was defective, but aside from that, they have a harshness to them. It has onboard DSP, so I'm sure some tweaking could clean up the sound, but I like the way the RCFs sound, right out of the box. There are pros & cons to both, but for me, the Evox 8 is still the best speaker (of this style).
dj_soo 9:49 PM - 12 October, 2017
how'd it compare volume and throw-wise?
Mike Sinclair 9:52 PM - 12 October, 2017
Quote:
how'd it compare volume and throw-wise?

I didn't have them in a big room. The Evolves did seem a little "fuller" but "harsher" after a few songs, I had ear fatigue with the EV, where I can listen to the Evox 8s for hours. I know everybody looks for something different in speakers, so maybe it's my ears. I can tell you the Evox actually has a decibel or 2 higher SPL but the EV has bigger top drivers. (3.5 vs 2). I think the Evox sounds smoother and has a little punchier bass as well.
Rebelguy 10:05 PM - 12 October, 2017
Quote:
I bought a pair to compare to the Evox 8s. One of mine was defective, but aside from that, they have a harshness to them. It has onboard DSP, so I'm sure some tweaking could clean up the sound, but I like the way the RCFs sound, right out of the box. There are pros & cons to both, but for me, the Evox 8 is still the best speaker (of this style).

What defect did You have. My friend tested on that would mute whenever the speaker would clip.
577er 10:26 PM - 12 October, 2017
The tops don't rotate or adjust by height, that's a huge fail. I do like the uneven surface of the top, that would probably keep anyone from placing a drink on the sub which is a problem with the EVOX. With a 12" sub it's more in line with the Turbosound ip2000 which is $500 less.
Mike Sinclair 7:05 PM - 13 October, 2017
Quote:
The tops don't rotate or adjust by height, that's a huge fail. I do like the uneven surface of the top, that would probably keep anyone from placing a drink on the sub which is a problem with the EVOX. With a 12" sub it's more in line with the Turbosound ip2000 which is $500 less.

I keep drinks off Evox subs with these: subsafeaudio.com ... they work perfectly :)
Mike Sinclair 7:07 PM - 13 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

What defect did You have. My friend tested on that would mute whenever the speaker would clip.

Mine would cut out randomly. Not over-driven, so not sure why. It was strange. I sent them back and they're gonna test them out. But, I'm sticking with the Evox 8s... had them for a few years and they haven't let me down.
Gio Alex 6:05 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I keep drinks off Evox subs with these: subsafeaudio.com ... they work perfectly :)

Nice!
pdidy 9:32 PM - 16 October, 2017
I tried so hard to like the Evox8 but it just was not for me. I demoed 4 or more pairs at different locations just to be sure but they were all the same. At the time I owned a pair of ev etx15p tops which were to heavy so I figured the evox would make an perfect replacement to your standard good quality 15inch tops on poles for small events that didn't require subs but I was completely wrong. My problem is they clip just before they get loud enough for my personal taste. :(
Mike Sinclair 9:34 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
I tried so hard to like the Evox8 but it just was not for me. I demoed 4 or more pairs at different locations just to be sure but they were all the same. At the time I owned a pair of ev etx15p tops which were to heavy so I figured the evox would make an perfect replacement to your standard good quality 15inch tops on poles for small events that didn't require subs but I was completely wrong. My problem is they clip just before they get loud enough for my personal taste. :(

That's weird. I couldn't get the Evox 8s to clip. My old QSC K subs clipped much easier.
pdidy 10:08 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
That's weird. I couldn't get the Evox 8s to clip. My old QSC K subs clipped much easier.

"That's weird" that's exactly what I was thinking considering EVERYBODY freakin loves them. Now I've "listened" to them on many occasions but it wasn't until I was ready to buy them that I really pushed them to their max. But this is not a negative shot at the evox as I thing they are a great speaker with an excellent design for dj's in the wedding/corporate market.
Akosvincze 7:10 PM - 31 October, 2017
Hello guys, I just discoverd the new colum series from evolve50, db es1203, rcf evox 12.
I usually play on fashion partys but also and small electronic music events where the playlist is disco, deep house, house and sometimes techno. Not more than 300 people.(usually200)
I prefer to have a surrounded danceflor and I'am thinkin to buy 4 colums.
What do you suggest ? Sholud I get 4 colums? Are the 4 colums powerfull enogh for 300people? Or should I get a stronger mobile active PA, and second one sholud be a colum?
Thanks guys!
pdidy 11:48 PM - 31 October, 2017
WOW, just did some research on the db es1203. That system is so customizable and scaleable it kills everything out. If I were in the market for one of these mini column array systems I would literally buy it site unseen.
dj_soo 4:58 AM - 1 November, 2017
Wow, you can buy additional tops for the ES1203 so you can essentially have 4 columns above each sub giving you an array with 16 drivers on each side...
577er 1:25 PM - 1 November, 2017
Quote:
Hello guys, I just discoverd the new colum series from evolve50, db es1203, rcf evox 12.
I usually play on fashion partys but also and small electronic music events where the playlist is disco, deep house, house and sometimes techno. Not more than 300 people.(usually200)
I prefer to have a surrounded danceflor and I'am thinkin to buy 4 colums.
What do you suggest ? Sholud I get 4 colums? Are the 4 colums powerfull enogh for 300people? Or should I get a stronger mobile active PA, and second one sholud be a colum?
Thanks guys!

For fashion shows the column speakers would be ideal but for 300 techno heads they absolutely wouldn't deliver the impact people would expect. Your probably better off with a traditional system of 4 dual 18" subs and matching 15" tops. That way you can do house, disco & techno parties and lower volume fashion shows without the subs.
DJ GaFFle 9:42 PM - 3 November, 2017
Quote:
WOW, just did some research on the db es1203. That system is so customizable and scaleable it kills everything out. If I were in the market for one of these mini column array systems I would literally buy it site unseen.

Yeah... this is the one as far as I'm concerned. The dual 12's trumps Evox's, Bose B2's bins and all these other transit-column speakers it seems: Watchwww.youtube.com

I'm a fan...
dj_soo 10:22 PM - 3 November, 2017
Get 4 sets and you have two stacks of double 12" subs with 4 columns on each side.

I think that would be the one for me too if I was going to mini array route...
dj_soo 10:22 PM - 3 November, 2017
That 15 second setup time for the ev tho...
KAHLUA1 7:44 AM - 18 November, 2017
Has anyone done a comparison between the Evolve 50 Subs, Zxa-1 subs, & the new ELX200 12Sp Sub?
And can you compare them to the Bose B2 which I currently run (3 of them)
Rebelguy 3:48 AM - 19 November, 2017
Quote:
Has anyone done a comparison between the Evolve 50 Subs, Zxa-1 subs, & the new ELX200 12Sp Sub?
And can you compare them to the Bose B2 which I currently run (3 of them)

I doubt anyone has yet.
DJ GaFFle 11:59 PM - 19 November, 2017
I will say, the Evolve 50's look more visually impressive in person in comparison to the new JBL EON, Turbosound and even < Bose L1 Model I models. They had them all in a row (-Turbosound) at my local GC and the EVs just "looked" the part.
Johnnynights 2:57 AM - 5 January, 2018
Do any of you guys that own any elx200 tops know if they have Bluetooth audio streaming like to play a song from the phone and not just connect to the ev app?

Seems like the only one that has it is the evolve 50?
ParisCreative 8:36 PM - 5 January, 2018
Here is my review... pariscreative.com
Gio Alex 7:17 PM - 9 January, 2018
Quote:

Watching right now. Thanks for the super detailed review.
ParisCreative 7:48 PM - 9 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Watching right now. Thanks for the super detailed review.

Anytime. I have other reviews and other videos up there as well. :)
djhuffjr 1:04 AM - 14 February, 2018
i saw this unit last Saturday in sam ash i was feeling it i currently use 2 15 jbl's and Samson 1800 amp which i been using for couple years no sub but i need that lil thump was searching for a mid size pa system this thing rocked wow it sounded incredible and the tech was using his Bluetooth phone very little wire clutter just clear bass was on point and he barley had it up loud had the store rocking this am going get soon
DJ GaFFle 10:38 AM - 14 February, 2018
I will say, it’s one of the best “looking” column array units out there. What size crowds will you generally be playing for?
ParisCreative 11:47 AM - 14 February, 2018
For me I’d say about 150. I could see it going over some, like 175, before you’d need reinforcement.
Brian M 3:48 PM - 14 February, 2018
I'm picking up a set of these since I already have some powered 15 in subs. Gives me that column look, decent sound for wedding of 200 or less people. 399.00 ea

media.music-group.com
Mr.Dj-Jace 12:38 AM - 22 July, 2019
Just wanted to bump this thread instead of creating a new one. I have a few questions here about weather the ev evolve 50 is worth getting.

I currently own a QSC set-up. I have a pair of the k10.2 and 1 kw181. I love this set-up, I want to keep it compact as possible.

I never heard the ev evolve 50, not until today. I gave it a quick listen at Guitar Center. I did some research online after being somewhat impressed with the sound. I've watched some YouTube videos and what intrigued me the most is being able to set-up and breakdown just a matter of minutes. The portability is a big plus.

My question here is for the pros with experience. You think it's worth selling the Qsc system for a pair of the Ev Evolve 50? My shows on average normally has 125 to 150 people. Rooms are mid sized, sometimes large. Occasionally I can be outside. Might have to go up and down stairs but it's rare. I play all walks of music including hip hop with deep bass. I do weddings and sometimes school dances.

What's your take? Is a pair of evolve 50 worth the investment or keep my Qsc set-up? Which is better? Thanks
dj_soo 9:33 AM - 22 July, 2019
I think the QSC system is going to be overall superior in punch and overall volume, but if you're looking to shed some weight and you don't think you're really going to get larger gigs, then the EV or something like the RCF EVOX stuff isn't a bad buy.

I think you'll get better throw from these mini line arrays, but you'll get less low end from the pair for 12" subs as opposed to the 18" sub.
577er 2:27 PM - 22 July, 2019
The evolve aren’t my choice but combined with a kw181 they would be faster to set up and project further / better than the k10s.

Going from an 18” to two 12” you are going to noice a huge drop in bass.
Mr.Dj-Jace 3:31 PM - 22 July, 2019
Yeah I kinda figured I would lose some bass. The guitar center salesman was telling me the ev evolve 50 would throw much further including the bass because it's an array system. I take their words with a grain a salt. I don't always trust GC salespeople, I know they want a quick sell. I know 18 inch subs will move more air.
Thank you everyone for your input. I'm just going to stick with my QSC stuff.