Serato DJ General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ, expansion packs and supported hardware

Rane 72 and pioneer s9

playerz 11:26 PM - 9 August, 2017
What are we supposed to call these mixers are they controllers?
DaltonSR20 1:30 AM - 10 August, 2017
uhhhhhhh.....................................
dj vernon nyc 2:10 AM - 10 August, 2017
The million dollar question is does this new mixer use both SL and SDJ just like the 62?
AddamXavier 2:11 AM - 10 August, 2017
They are MIDI enabled mixers. They wouldn't be considered controllers because they don't have a dedicated section for transport controls.
DJ Tecniq 2:55 AM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:
The million dollar question is does this new mixer use both SL and SDJ just like the 62?
No they confirmed it will only be compatible w/SDJ. SSL is long discontinued.
DJ Tecniq 2:56 AM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:
What are we supposed to call these mixers are they controllers?
Bruh it's really no different than a Rane 62 or 57mkII or even the old ttm57. They all do the same thing and have software built in.
Dave. 2:59 AM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:

SSL is discontinued software - we no longer develop this software so no new hardware will work with it :)

SDJ support coming in the future!
Detroitbootybass 4:57 PM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:

SSL is discontinued software - we no longer develop this software so no new hardware will work with it :)

Dave W - Does this mean the rumored re-release of the Rane SL4 will only have SDJ compatibility?
Dj Ricky Redz 5:46 PM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Dave W - Does this mean the rumored re-release of the Rane SL4 will only have SDJ compatibility?

Obviously!
Mr. Goodkat 7:32 PM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:
have software built in.

they have a soundcard built in
DJ Tecniq 8:15 PM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
have software built in.

they have a soundcard built in
Serato software/soundcard same thing right.
Rebelguy 9:02 PM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:

SDJ support coming in the future!

Wait so it's being released without SDJ support?

Regarding the MP2015 LE, is this a non-USA manufactured product now?
DJ Tecniq 9:56 PM - 10 August, 2017
Was wondering that myself but I thought it was a typoπŸ€” ^
Michael R 10:20 PM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:

The SL4 will work with Scratch Live, as the new ones are being built to the old spec :)
Michael R 10:21 PM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:
Wait so it's being released without SDJ support?

He means as the mixer is coming in the future, so is Serato DJ support :) The Seventy-Two will be supported by Serato DJ on launch.
Dave. 11:29 PM - 10 August, 2017
Sorry, I left too much room for assumption there guys.

As Michael said - new SL4 will work with SSL as technically not new hardware, just a re-release ;)

I'm sure you guys are aware the 72 isn't available for purchase yet. Once it is available in the future, it will be supported by SDJ.
djcrap 11:58 PM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:
Sorry, I left too much room for assumption there guys.

As Michael said - new SL4 will work with SSL as technically not new hardware, just a re-release ;)

I'm sure you guys are aware the 72 isn't available for purchase yet. Once it is available in the future, it will be supported by SDJ.

Since the new sl 4 is being released to old spec why not just throw us a born with a minor update for ssl compatibility ..say like windows 10 and the latest last release of mac os
djcrap 12:00 AM - 11 August, 2017
Born = bone

Lol

You what just for get that give me a post edit button!

I will be happy
SirForce 12:36 AM - 11 August, 2017
Will the original SL4's be worth more? Made in the U.S.of A.?
DJ Tecniq 1:24 AM - 11 August, 2017
I'm curious of this too. Will the SL4 be cheaper this time? A re-release for what exactly? So it will offer nothing new? I didn't think the SL4 was so high in demand and could still be bought today?
Mr. Goodkat 1:47 AM - 11 August, 2017
Quote:
I'm curious of this too. Will the SL4 be cheaper this time? A re-release for what exactly? So it will offer nothing new? I didn't think the SL4 was so high in demand and could still be bought today?

prob makes the most sense since everyone is going to two soundcard setups plus its the most exp and prob has the highest profit margin
DJ Tecniq 2:24 AM - 11 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

prob makes the most sense since everyone is going to two soundcard setups plus its the most exp and prob has the highest profit margin
Right i just don't understand though can't the SL4 still be bought today or was it discontinued or something? Lol oh duh Rane got bought out. So they are pretty much just rebranding it I guess.
Michael R 2:27 AM - 11 August, 2017
When InMusic purchased Rane they continued to sell the SL4 until they ran out of stock. This is new stock. No re-branding, just manufactured in a different place :)
DJ Tecniq 2:51 AM - 11 August, 2017
Quote:
When InMusic purchased Rane they continued to sell the SL4 until they ran out of stock. This is new stock. No re-branding, just manufactured in a different place :)
Gotcha so in a nutshell it will be the same price for something as old as what 5-6 yrs ago? Correct
Michael R 2:53 AM - 11 August, 2017
No idea about the price sorry, that's a question for Rane.
DJ Tecniq 3:22 AM - 11 August, 2017
Quote:
No idea about the price sorry, that's a question for Rane.
Hopefully it will be a bit cheaper for a product that came out in 2011. Let's hope it won't have as much connection issues as the other Rane products.
Rebelguy 4:15 AM - 11 August, 2017
Quote:

Is that the same for the MP2015 LE?
Michael R 4:21 AM - 11 August, 2017
Quote:
Let's hope it won't have as much connection issues as the other Rane products.

It's the same spec, so if there were problems then they would still exist. What connection problems are you talking about?
Michael R 4:24 AM - 11 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Is that the same for the MP2015 LE?

Not sure about the MP2015 sorry, but I imagine it's the same :)
DJ Tecniq 4:42 AM - 11 August, 2017
Quote:
What connection problems are you talking about?
I don't have any issues I use a Pioneer mixer but weekly I read topics on the forum "all the time" of connection issues with Rane products and usually the users have all drivers and firmware and "still" can't get them to connect and have to go through support every time. May want to tweak that as I have read tons.
Michael R 4:53 AM - 11 August, 2017
Hmm that could be a lot of things, not just one cause. We can resolve most connection issues if people reach out to us, as it can be a combination of things that can cause this (corrupt driver, conflicting devices etc.). As far as I'm aware there isn't a particular connection bug in Serato DJ causing any issues.
DJ Tecniq 8:53 AM - 11 August, 2017
Quote:
Hmm that could be a lot of things, not just one cause. We can resolve most connection issues if people reach out to us, as it can be a combination of things that can cause this (corrupt driver, conflicting devices etc.). As far as I'm aware there isn't a particular connection bug in Serato DJ causing any issues.
Really I see "failed to connect" like everyday on the forum lol.
Michael R 10:26 PM - 13 August, 2017
You may well, but you haven't read what I've said. What I said was as far as I'm aware there isn't a bug in SDJ that causes this. This issue can be caused by many, many different things so there's no fix that we can do. However if you get in touch with our Support Team we can resolve most connection issues :)
Ollie 12:45 AM - 30 September, 2017
Just heard the release date for the 72 got pushed back to Q1 2018. I wonder why and how this could affect any potential holiday sales they bring in. I was looking to get one before Thanksgiving and use it for my upcoming holiday events. πŸ˜•
Chino 2:10 AM - 30 September, 2017
Quote:
Just heard the release date for the 72 got pushed back to Q1 2018. I wonder why and how this could affect any potential holiday sales they bring in. I was looking to get one before Thanksgiving and use it for my upcoming holiday events. πŸ˜•

^^^ Is this news directly from inMusic Brand (RANE)? It would not surprise me if that is the case. Oh well, it gives inMusic Brand more time to make sure everything is working right & Ill have more $$$ to spend on Christmas gifts & other DJ/production 'toys'… I have my eye on the new Maschine MK3.
Dj Ricky Redz 3:05 AM - 30 September, 2017
For some strange reason I had a feeling that would happen... I went ahead and ordered a sz2 to use for this Christmas season!
Mr. Goodkat 6:39 PM - 30 September, 2017
i hate to say it, but i dont see inmusic rane ever getting anything close to Rane USA.

Theres so much going on with the 72, i just cant see inmusic getting it right
Aptidda 9:36 PM - 3 October, 2017
Interesting, my Pioneer DJM S9 has been so solid. The whole Rane driver issue is concerning, as I understand the DJM S9 is Natively supported in Mac OS? Is that the case?

I was going to get rid of the S9 for this, I figure I will wait it out to see if there are any issues at the first release. Once I hear it’s good, at that point I may go for it (could be well into 2018 eh guys?)
DJMIYAGI 9:53 PM - 3 October, 2017
Quote:
They wouldn't be considered controllers because they don't have a dedicated section for transport controls.

The 72 will have transport controls with the pads.
SirForce 2:44 PM - 5 October, 2017
I would hope the Rane 72, just like the Rane TTM57MKII and the newest Rane Rotary mixers use MacOS Core Audio and do not need specific audio drivers to function. As for transport controls, I look forward to what the Rane 72 might offer, for simple gigs it would be cool to use just the 72 to play music vs having another small controller.
Chino 5:16 PM - 5 October, 2017
Quote:
I look forward to what the Rane 72 might offer, for simple gigs it would be cool to use just the 72 to play music vs having another small controller.

I never even thought of using the RANE 72 like that. Good idea!
938MyDJ 10:45 PM - 5 October, 2017
You'll be better off using DJ2GO2 with those kind of gigs, LOL!
NUdisc0 1:20 AM - 6 October, 2017
Is future Rane gear going to be made in the USA? I can tell you that I will never buy Rane gear made overseas.
roy rohypnol 4:33 AM - 6 October, 2017
Overseas unfortunately.
playerz 11:02 AM - 6 October, 2017
Quote:
I would hope the Rane 72, just like the Rane TTM57MKII and the newest Rane Rotary mixers use MacOS Core Audio and do not need specific audio drivers to function. As for transport controls, I look forward to what the Rane 72 might offer, for simple gigs it would be cool to use just the 72 to play music vs having another small controller.

Read from the top of the post lol
Rebelguy 3:27 PM - 6 October, 2017
Quote:
Is future Rane gear going to be made in the USA? I can tell you that I will never buy Rane gear made overseas.

You must not buy any gear then because all of it is made overseas.
AKIEM 6:40 PM - 6 October, 2017
I wonder if Chinese hate buying shit overland.
NUdisc0 11:04 PM - 6 October, 2017
I expect Rane to be made in the USA; otherwise, it is not a Rane, but some Numark BS.
Aptidda 11:07 PM - 6 October, 2017
Quote:
I expect Rane to be made in the USA; otherwise, it is not a Rane, but some Numark BS.

Rane is "InMusic" Is Akai, is Numark, is Denon, is etc etc etc
NUdisc0 12:04 AM - 7 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Rane is "InMusic" Is Akai, is Numark, is Denon, is etc etc etc

Yeah, exactly. That's the problem.
dj_soo 2:09 AM - 9 October, 2017
So what are you going to get?

No pro DJ gear is made in the US anymore. Pioneer is made in Malaysia which is even cheaper than China/Taiwan.
NUdisc0 2:12 AM - 9 October, 2017
Duh
dj_soo 4:26 AM - 9 October, 2017
China manufacturing has gotten to the point where they can produce quality - Apple, IBM, Lenovo, any of the high end computers out there are chinese made.

There are plenty of cheap options in china, but just because it's made there doesn't automatically make it worse.

Hell, just because it was made in the US doesn't automatically make it better. Look at the automotive industry during the decline of US made cars. Hell, look at the Rane 6x gear - it wasn't exactly stellar in build compared to the older 54/56/57. Buttons failed, knobs got loose, faders broke, tons of shit went wrong with the 6x mixers and they were all made in the US.
Cnspeace 2:14 PM - 16 October, 2017
Anyone heard about a delay on these ?? I'm hearing different stories.
Aptidda 3:50 PM - 17 October, 2017
Quote:

I heard the same, from what I gather the twelve may still be released sometime soon.

However the seventy two is pushed into 2018...

Anyone from Rane care to chime in?
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:41 PM - 17 October, 2017
seeing as support wasn't added in 1.9.9 looks like its going to be in 2.0 which means probably a namm 2018 release , so jan 2018,

the fact we haven't even seen it running at all on serato means there is either production problems or they can't show sdj 2.0 till release
Mr. Goodkat 9:19 PM - 17 October, 2017
2017 odds 20-1
jan 2018 odds 8-1
by mar 2018 4-1
by june 2018 3-2

never 50-1
DJMIYAGI 6:10 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:

Release has been pushed back to Q1 of 2018. So release will be in between Jan-Mar
Herzl 7:10 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Release has been pushed back to Q1 of 2018. So release will be in between Jan-Mar

😩😩
How do you know?
DJMIYAGI 7:39 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

😩😩
How do you know?

Let's just say I know people lol. When you think about it, it makes more sense to release the new gear at winter NAMM(end of Jan). That's when I think we'll also see SDJ 2.0 with support for the new gear from Rane and Denon plus other surprises Searto has in store.
Chino 8:56 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:

Let's just say I know people lol. When you think about it, it makes more sense to release the new gear at winter NAMM(end of Jan). That's when I think we'll also see SDJ 2.0 with support for the new gear from Rane and Denon plus other surprises Searto has in store.

+1

My 'Nostradamus' predictions for SDJ 2.0…. 64bit, DAY MODE, & maybe sample editing functionality/direct record to pads (wishful thinking, I know!!)

Hopefully, inMusic Brand (RANE) uses the extra time to make sure that the RANE 72 & Twelve is STABLE & RELIABLE!!!
WildcardX 9:22 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
+1

My 'Nostradamus' predictions for SDJ 2.0…. 64bit, DAY MODE, & maybe sample editing functionality/direct record to pads (wishful thinking, I know!!)

Hopefully, inMusic Brand (RANE) uses the extra time to make sure that the RANE 72 & Twelve is STABLE & RELIABLE!!!

To add perspective to this, look how long the Denon Prime has been released and it still isn't supported yet publicly.
Chino 9:39 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:

To add perspective to this, look how long the Denon Prime has been released and it still isn't supported yet publicly.

Good point! Since the Rane Twelve is an 'OSA' device I would image that it should be supported at launch. The Rane 72 is also being advertised as officially supported by SDJ too.

Maybe there will be more info @ NAMM 2018.
popnwave 10:11 PM - 18 October, 2017
At this rate the Denon and Rane stuff will be added at the same time!
DJMIYAGI 10:35 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:

That's more than likely what's going on right now. When the 62 first came out I knew quite a few DJs who were having problems with the cross fader and Rane was using 68 faders as replacements. They're trying to avoid this and also line up the release of the new gear with the new Serato update. Nothing more disappointing than releasing a new software with no support for the latest hardware.
Cnspeace 12:12 PM - 20 October, 2017
So I got different info. That's why I posted. I know people too :) I was told it's 2 batches. One will be out this year...mid December. This batch was due on November 15th and now is about a month delayed. The second batch will ship out in February. This was confirmed by my source via Rane on 10/18. I know people are getting crazy mixed up info so I want to hear it from everyone else in addition to my source. Here is a message I got from Rane on Facebook (this was on the 13th and prompted me to post and follow up with my dealer):

Hello Cory. We understand our customers' situation very well; lots of us are DJs and eagerly wait for the newest gear to catch our eyes and take our money just like you. There are multiple factors that involve releasing a product; providing our customers with appropriately marketed material such as demo videos is not as easy as one may think. We here at Rane and our partners at Serato work together to get the Seventy-Two mixer 'battle-ready', with our customers' concerns in mind, and being hasty to please the masses is not how good quality products are made (I think you would agree). Any release dates that you have been given are not precise; we never gave an official release date to our dealers/distributors when we announced the new product. Once again, both us and our partners are working hard to make the Seventy-Two work right and work hard.

The 'waiting game' struggle is real Cory, and we are on the edge of our seats too

I don't believe anyone knows when this is coming out other than Rane ...
Aptidda 4:13 PM - 20 October, 2017
Quote:
So I got different info. That's why I posted. I know people too :) I was told it's 2 batches. One will be out this year...mid December. This batch was due on November 15th and now is about a month delayed. The second batch will ship out in February. This was confirmed by my source via Rane on 10/18. I know people are getting crazy mixed up info so I want to hear it from everyone else in addition to my source. Here is a message I got from Rane on Facebook (this was on the 13th and prompted me to post and follow up with my dealer):

Hello Cory. We understand our customers' situation very well; lots of us are DJs and eagerly wait for the newest gear to catch our eyes and take our money just like you. There are multiple factors that involve releasing a product; providing our customers with appropriately marketed material such as demo videos is not as easy as one may think. We here at Rane and our partners at Serato work together to get the Seventy-Two mixer 'battle-ready', with our customers' concerns in mind, and being hasty to please the masses is not how good quality products are made (I think you would agree). Any release dates that you have been given are not precise; we never gave an official release date to our dealers/distributors when we announced the new product. Once again, both us and our partners are working hard to make the Seventy-Two work right and work hard.

The 'waiting game' struggle is real Cory, and we are on the edge of our seats too

well said
Mr. Goodkat 1:23 AM - 21 October, 2017
Quote:

ill bet they dont know either
Aptidda 3:54 PM - 26 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Good point! Since the Rane Twelve is an 'OSA' device I would image that it should be supported at launch. The Rane 72 is also being advertised as officially supported by SDJ too.

Maybe there will be more info @ NAMM 2018.

What is an "OSA" device?

Thanks
Robb Royale 5:58 PM - 26 October, 2017
What is an "OSA" device?

Official Serato Accessory
WildcardX 5:58 PM - 26 October, 2017
Quote:

What is an "OSA" device?

Thanks

Official Serato Accessory example, SPI, AFX, Dicers etc.
DJ Matty Stiles 1:47 PM - 4 November, 2017
I think being able to see the waveforms on the mixer will be the deal breaker for me to buy the rane over the pioneer.

I mean, dont get me wrong, my 62 does the job its supposed to with no issues.

Do i need the 72? Probably not lol. Do I want it? Hell yeah!
Laz219 1:59 PM - 4 November, 2017
...Does deal breaker make sense in that?
Ragman 2:24 PM - 4 November, 2017
The hardware is ready. Waiting on SDJ 2.0 with 64bit architecture to be released. Serato is making sure "i's" are dotted and "t's" are crossed. 2.0 is a big undertaking for Serato so understandable about the delay. We just need to be patient as Jan is right around the corner at this point.
Cnspeace 3:15 PM - 4 November, 2017
Where did you get 64 bit from ? Heard noting about that from Rane. I hope so , but I haven't heard a peep on that
DJ Matty Stiles 11:53 PM - 4 November, 2017
Quote:
...Does deal breaker make sense in that?

the tipping point in terms of my preference of mixer
dj_soo 11:54 PM - 4 November, 2017
deal breaker is usually something that prevents you from doing something - like not being able to change the left and right controls independently on the S9 was a dealbreaker for me not buying it.
NUdisc0 3:01 AM - 5 November, 2017
Those waveforms on the 72 are pretty useless.
WildcardX 1:24 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
Those waveforms on the 72 are pretty useless.

Especially if they suffer that same jerky issue with the display. I don't really use waveforms except just to confirm that my ear hears drift and occasional confirmation of a cue point though i have noticed it, but trying to imagine that jerky waveform on that small screen would be something else. Let's hope the release that corresponds with the release of the hardware has addressed this.
Chino 3:03 PM - 5 November, 2017
Personally, I'm more interested in using the X/Y touchscreen for manipulating effects.

Obviously, the processor that RANE chooses to run the screens will have a big impact on how well the screen works & whether or not latency will be an issue.

The Rane 72 is NOT cheap so I hope inMusic Brand (RANE) puts top quality components in the 72.
Cnspeace 3:09 PM - 5 November, 2017
The waves are only useless if you don't use waves. I can't say I don't get serato face some days..so that is one of the main deal makers. It's also touch screen so I'm sure I'll think of more things to do with the waves. X/Y effects are the biggest perk for the screen, but now I don't need my laptop screen at all thanks to the waves on board. Considering the competition and their displays, I think it will display smooth.
J.J. 10:19 PM - 6 November, 2017
I would rather the RANE 72 screen display the Icicles (Tempo Matching Display) instead of the waveforms.

Quote:
Tempo Matching Display
The tempo matching display area provides a helpful tool for beat matching. Serato DJ detects the beats within the track and places a row of red peaks (for the track on the left deck) above a row of gold peaks (for the track on the right deck) in the tempo matching display area. When the two tracks are matched to the same tempo, the peaks will line up. This display does not show the relative timing of the beats, only the tempos of the tracks. The peaks will still line up when the tracks are playing at the same tempo, but are out of sync.
DJMIYAGI 12:26 AM - 7 November, 2017
Quote:
I would rather the RANE 72 screen display the Icicles (Tempo Matching Display) instead of the waveforms.

That's a waste of screen real estate. If the tempo match display was above the waveforms like in the software, that would be practical.
NUdisc0 12:27 AM - 7 November, 2017
Id rather it display the full waveform and playback position.
DJ Matty Stiles 1:36 PM - 7 November, 2017
Quote:

+1
Aptidda 4:03 PM - 7 November, 2017
whatever we say isn't going to matter until this is released. anyone doing beta on this?
Chino 3:22 PM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:
whatever we say isn't going to matter until this is released

What we say (suggestions & opinions) matter! inMusic Brand (RANE) needs to listen to their customers if they want the Rane 72 & Twelve to sell & be successful!!

If inMusic Brand (RANE) listens to their customers prior to product release then there will be little to no customer disappointment (hopefully) once the Rane 72 & Twelve are actually released.
popnwave 3:29 PM - 8 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
whatever we say isn't going to matter until this is released

What we say (suggestions & opinions) matter! inMusic Brand (RANE) needs to listen to their customers if they want the Rane 72 & Twelve to sell & be successful!!

If inMusic Brand (RANE) listens to their customers prior to product release then there will be little to no customer disappointment (hopefully) once the Rane 72 & Twelve are actually released.

That's a dangerous move for most business and leads to some horrible project creep. There's gonna be someone complaining no matter what you do.
Aptidda 6:13 PM - 8 November, 2017
the seventy two will sell itself, i'm getting one on release day. Serato is always there with great support no matter what, they are certainly going to be supporting rane's new flagship mixer- its on the hype.
DJ Matty Stiles 6:06 AM - 9 November, 2017
I wonder if the feel of the pads will be different to the S9
dj_soo 6:07 AM - 9 November, 2017
pads will definitely be MPC pads. So it'll likely feel the same as the pads on all the newer Numark and Denon gear.
DJ Matty Stiles 6:09 AM - 9 November, 2017
ooh I hope they have a click. Something I'm definately missing on my SP-1 (which I assume is the same buttons on the S9). I don't mind them a little squishy, like the dicers.
J.J. 6:40 PM - 9 November, 2017
Pressure sensitive Pads rarely come with a click. I love the Pads on my NS7ii thanks to Akai.