Serato Sample General Discussion

Talk about Serato Sample

MIDI

AKIEM 7:26 PM - 15 July, 2017
Is there midi info someplace?
Are the knobs and other functions assignable, or is that coming later?
Serato, Support
Scott S 11:03 PM - 17 July, 2017
Hi AKIEM, exactly what kind of MIDI info do you need?

Most of the parameters are exposed to the host and assignable inside the DAW by selecting a parameter from the list of automatable parameters. Not everything is able to be mapped, let me know if there's something you think needs to be there!
AKIEM 10:44 PM - 18 July, 2017
Ok I see, you have to have an automation channel, then asign.

Hmmmm. What I was looking for is that I could asign one hardware knob to one paramiter knob on the gui. This way it takes 16 knobs, times 3 peramiters.... I don't have that many.

I think I understand why it's done this way, but would sure love 'super knob' or something that would let me control keyshift, stretch, and filter with just 3 knobs. Without 46 automation lanes.

I would really like midi for +/- , freeze and favorite. I'm doing a lot of mouse clicks on those.
Serato, Support
Scott S 12:00 AM - 19 July, 2017
Quote:
I would really like midi for +/- , freeze and favorite. I'm doing a lot of mouse clicks on those.

Thanks for the feedback!
CDK 1:02 AM - 19 July, 2017
I'd like to see the freeze function added as a right mouse click as well as an option for MIDI.
Serato, Support
Scott S 3:22 AM - 19 July, 2017
Do you mean just right-clicking on the waveform would enable/disable freeze?
CDK 3:51 AM - 19 July, 2017
Quote:
Do you mean just right-clicking on the waveform would enable/disable freeze?

Yes!!! Right now we can use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out of the waveform which is perfect. Adding the 'right clicking' on the waveform to freeze and unfreeze would be a major workflow enhancement!

😁🎹🔥🎧🎹🎶
AKIEM 6:16 AM - 19 July, 2017
Freeze which also jumps to cue would be good too.
AKIEM 6:27 AM - 19 July, 2017
In Reason Sample can recieve 8 CVs. I got a device which translates midi to cv as a work around.

Doesn't solve the issue needing an automation lane for each level/filter/etc per pad.
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:31 PM - 19 July, 2017
Quote:
Freeze which also jumps to cue would be good too.

Can you explain a little further on this? If Freeze is enabled, the playhead remains at the last selected Cue marker. Click another pad to select that cue.
CDK 11:28 PM - 19 July, 2017
Quote:

Can you explain a little further on this? If Freeze is enabled, the playhead remains at the last selected Cue marker. Click another pad to select that cue.

I believe AKIEM is referring to when you're zoomed in quite a bit on a waveform and click another pad, Serato Sample won't move to the next cue point at the same zoomed in level.

You have to manually drag the waveform over to the next cue point to see it. The view should jump automatically to the next cue point pressed and keep the same zoomed in state you're currently in, while in freeze mode.
Serato, Support
Scott S 11:48 PM - 19 July, 2017
Thanks, although I'm still a bit confused. The zoom level remains the same each time you click on a different pad, regardless of freeze mode. Are you suggesting that each pad should have it's own independent zoom level in Freeze mode?

Quote:
when you're zoomed in quite a bit on a waveform and click another pad, Serato Sample won't move to the next cue point at the same zoomed in level.

This should be the case - is it not for you? Can you record a quick video?
CDK 12:02 AM - 20 July, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply Scott. Glad to see the Serato Sample dev team listening to our requests and concerns :)

Each pad doesn't need its own independent zoom level in freeze mode.

I just played around with what we are discussing. Honestly, I never physically click the pads with a mouse. I see that when you do click a pad with a mouse in freeze mode the view moves as you stated but it doesn't play the next next cue. It just moves to that cue point.

However, when in freeze mode and pressing pads via MIDI (keyboard or MIDI controller) then the behavior is different. I'll hear the music from whatever cue point I press which is what I like but the view doesn't change.

Hope that makes sense.
Serato, Support
Scott S 12:26 AM - 20 July, 2017
Thanks for the clarification, yes I think I got you now. When the Freeze mode is enabled, clicking the pads only selects the pad so you can adjust the parameters, rather than triggering MIDI (so you hear the slice) like it does when Freeze is disabled.

You can always trigger each cue using a MIDI controller (or computer keyboard) but to select different pads while in Freeze mode you'll need to physically click on the pad to select it.
CDK 12:34 AM - 20 July, 2017
Gotcha!

Please consider implementing the right mouse click to freeze/unfreeze while the mouse is hovering over the waveform and/or make it a keyboard shortcut and/or MIDI mappable or DAW parameter control.
AKIEM 3:46 AM - 20 July, 2017
Ah ok, I didn't see clicking on the pad will move it. Same, I'm just tapping pads. It would be nice if the wave form moved in freeze while using midi pads.
Serato, Support
Scott S 4:19 AM - 20 July, 2017
Thanks AKEIM, essentially what you're asking is Freeze mode to be enabled for clicking on the GUI, but disabled for playing MIDI notes?

Quote:
It would be nice if the wave form moved in freeze while using midi pads.

This is pretty much the behaviour you get when Freeze is disabled.
AKIEM 3:01 AM - 21 July, 2017
Quote:
Thanks AKEIM, essentially what you're asking is Freeze mode to be enabled for clicking on the GUI, but disabled for playing MIDI notes?

Quote:
It would be nice if the wave form moved in freeze while using midi pads.

This is pretty much the behaviour you get when Freeze is disabled.

I think I meant 'jump' in that last sentence.

Unfroze:
The wave moves, playhead is still.
Mouse click selects and plays the sample.
The wave jumps to play position with a mouse click or midi pad tap.

Freeze:
The wave is still, playhead jumps.
Mouse click selects but does not play the sample.
The wave jumps with a mouse click selection but not with a midi pad tap.

The way I think Freeze should work is:
The wave is still, playhead jumps.
Mouse click selects and does play the sample.
The wave jumps with a mouse click selection and with a midi pad tap as selected.

The reason is with freeze enabled I would like to midi pad go from sample to sample making tight edits. As it is now I have to mouse click select the sample I want to edit instead of just using the midi pads. :)
Serato, Support
Scott S 10:55 PM - 30 July, 2017
Quote:
The reason is with freeze enabled I would like to midi pad go from sample to sample making tight edits. As it is now I have to mouse click select the sample I want to edit instead of just using the midi pads. :)

Thanks for the feedback! I understand this behaviour now, you want the MIDI to select the pad rather than just trigger it in Freeze Mode (just like it does when Freeze is off).

Freeze Mode was originally to freeze the parameters on screen as well as the waveform for an individual pad, so you're able to focus on one sample while playing others, but I can see where it would be good to have access to each pads parameters when playing MIDI and Freeze on!
AKIEM 6:48 AM - 31 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback! I understand this behaviour now, you want the MIDI to select the pad rather than just trigger it in Freeze Mode (just like it does when Freeze is off).

Freeze Mode was originally to freeze the parameters on screen as well as the waveform for an individual pad, so you're able to focus on one sample while playing others, but I can see where it would be good to have access to each pads parameters when playing MIDI and Freeze on!

Yes exactly.

Cheers!
BBN 4:56 PM - 9 November, 2017
+1 for custom Midi mapping!

Should be as easy as in Serato DJ.
I want to map all Serato Sample knobs and buttons to any controller I own.