Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

This is the best they could do?

BattleFunk 4:34 PM - 11 June, 2017
I've played with Serato Video today and my opinion is:

Serato Video is garbage. When was the last time they added anything useful to this plugin?

If you use a PC - and benefit from a powerful and cost-effective laptop (something a video DJ might want to use?)

No Spout support
No MixEmergency
No using Resolume - which a lot of VJ's already use

The effects are terrible and non editable?
You cant add folders to the media crate so the random feature is useless - unless you like playing slow songs with coma inducing visuals - you cant adjust the tempo of the video?

The position feature for the text is fiddly - using a mouse it was a pain, I would hate to try and centre text with a trackpad?

I could go on, but as I've already wasted several hours trying to find workarounds for this plugin, I wont bother.

Let me know if I got any of this wrong?

Before any of you clever fuckers tell me to get a Mac, I couldnt get one that had anywhere near an up to date gpu and still pay £2500. Fuck that.
slimmjimm 8:17 PM - 11 June, 2017
Options with a PC are: VDJ.
BattleFunk 8:18 PM - 11 June, 2017
Haha thanks!
DJ Tecniq 9:16 PM - 11 June, 2017
Any 15" 2012 MacBook Pro is plenty efficient for video use as long as it's got a secondary dedicated video card you should be fine and it won't cost $2500. Mine was actually a 2014 model and I paid $2400 but it also has the best specs with a 2 gig nvidia graphics card. Serato video is risky on a pc those are just the facts.
BattleFunk 9:20 PM - 11 June, 2017
Like I said, it's garbage.

Do I have to go and find a second hand computer to be able to use the software?

2gb gpu ram is nothing these days. What if I want to use the laptop for Resolume as well - or shall I buy two laptops to be able to do one job?

It's a joke, its garbage.

I had a problem with my library a couple of weeks ago and I had to install Scratch Live to fix it. It really speaks volumes about the company now.
Laz219 7:20 AM - 12 June, 2017
I'm lost as to how it's Seratos' problem that there is no mixemergency support on PC?
BattleFunk 7:42 AM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:
I'm lost as to how it's Seratos' problem that there is no mixemergency support on PC?

Can you offer a solution to any of my problems?
BattleFunk 4:35 PM - 12 June, 2017
... And it crashes if you scratch with it.

It just keeps getting better.
popnwave 9:33 PM - 12 June, 2017
Yeah $299 for VDJ seems like an easier option to me.
DJ Baby Boy 9:09 AM - 13 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Can you offer a solution to any of my problems?

Yes buy a 2012 or newer 15" MacBook Pro with a dedicated graphics card and purchase MixEmergency that will solve your issues and you'll be able to run Arena also however if you want to keep using a PC then move over to Virtual DJ and you'll more than likely have a better experience
DJ Tecniq 12:39 PM - 13 June, 2017
Quote:
Yes buy a 2012 or newer 15" MacBook Pro with a dedicated graphics card and purchase MixEmergency that will solve your issues and you'll be able to run Arena also however if you want to keep using a PC then move over to Virtual DJ and you'll more than likely have a better experience
^^ he's right💯
BattleFunk 5:08 PM - 13 June, 2017
Great, so the best advice for anyone reading this thread would be to AVOID Serato Video and go with Virtual DJ instead.

Kinda wished I'd seen that before I got the S9 though.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:42 PM - 13 June, 2017
The S9 is natively supported with VDJ plus you can demo it for free. Granted it's only in 10 minute intervals but you can test it.

I for one have run Resolume into VDJ and vice versa on a PC so I know for a fact it can be done.

But yeah I agree if your not gonna buy a Mac then running VDJ is your best bet on the PC side....
DJ Tecniq 2:36 AM - 14 June, 2017
Quote:
Great, so the best advice for anyone reading this thread would be to AVOID Serato Video and go with Virtual DJ instead.

what are the exact specs of your pc? Does it only have an internal graphics card or at least a dedicated? Lastly have you updated any video card drivers from the manufacturer.
DJ Tecniq 2:37 AM - 14 June, 2017
You didn't specify what machine you are using or the full specs. Us having this information will better help us help you. Cheers
BattleFunk 6:26 AM - 14 June, 2017
Quote:
The S9 is natively supported with VDJ plus you can demo it for free. Granted it's only in 10 minute intervals but you can test it.

I for one have run Resolume into VDJ and vice versa on a PC so I know for a fact it can be done.

But yeah I agree if your not gonna buy a Mac then running VDJ is your best bet on the PC side....

Thanks for the heads-up, I appreciate that

Quote:
You didn't specify what machine you are using or the full specs. Us having this information will better help us help you. Cheers

Tecniq, thanks for still trying to help

The laptop specs are

i7 7700hq
16gb ddr4
gtx1070
512 m.2 samsung 950
1tb samsung 840

I reckon it should be able to cope with a bit of video :/

Anyway, since my rant (sick of being a beta tester for software companies) I've read some of this forum. It seems like there's not many good comments about Serato full stop. I was a Scratch Live user for a long time and took a break in 2012 - returning late last year. Seems like I should have looked in to Rekordbox instead?

Did Serato change hands after 2012 or something? This isnt the SSL forum I remember from a few years ago - no employees from Rane or Serato helping out :/

Thanks again for trying to help out lads
DJ Tecniq 5:08 PM - 14 June, 2017
Quote:
Did Serato change hands after 2012 or something? This isnt the SSL forum I remember from a few years ago - no employees from Rane or Serato helping out :/

Thanks again for trying to help out lads
To answer your question yes things have changed. Rane got bought out by InMusic(Numark) and their mixers are no longer being manufactured. As for your specs you are right you shouldn't have much difficulty. Here's some helpful info. Make sure you have updated any video card drivers from the manufacturer (graphics card) then try Serato video again. It may help cause it's prob just a driver issue. Lastly make sure your pc is using the dedicated graphics card for best performance when VJ'ing.
skinnyguy 6:41 PM - 15 June, 2017
Quote:

that's been said for YEARS. mac + ME or PC + VDJ.
Culprit 2:30 AM - 16 June, 2017
Vdj 8 is hella solid and has features Serato DJ needs like Spotify support, built in Twitter text integration and such.

Also Content Unlimited Video service is serviced by Vjpro/smashvission.

I am 100 percent on Serato dj and mix emergency but VDJ is a major player now.

Make sure you are using ffdshow codecs, might yeild better results.

support.serato.com
Mike Boogie 2:57 AM - 17 June, 2017
My experience with Serato Video has been very hit and miss as my previous post would reveal. But one thing I will say about Serato Video on PC. It CAN be ran flawlessly. But there are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Your off the shelf PC even with some of the most expensive hardware will run SV like crap... (for the lack of a better term)

2. Be mindful of the level of hardware that our Mac counterparts are using.

3. If you spec a Windows laptop with Mac level spec, you CAN in fact, run Serato Video at a comparable level. But it is all based on what CODEC you have and configure.

After a VERY painstaking and laborious process over many man hours, I found a config that works for me with GREAT results.

I want to know some of our Mac users input as well.

My Current Setup:

Msi GS63VR 7RF
CPU: i7-7700HQ (Kaby Lake)
GPU: Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 1060
6GB GDDR5
RAM: 16GB
SSD/HDD: 256GB + 1TB

Controller: Numark NS7 mk3

With LAV filters....I am able to run SV with ZERO ISSUE at Best Quality 1080P. I can even capture performance with BandiCam at 60 fps.

Cons:
You cannot record a Video Mix via Serato Video! Because Mac Users can't even do it without Mix Emergency.

Note: I have run into some minor issues (green/white blank screens) after leaving Serato Video sitting idle for HOURS and attempting to pickup a mix. I suspect a memory leak somewhere but it has never "wet the bed" in a performance.

This is from my personal experience so, of course, your mileage may vary.
DJ Tecniq 1:51 PM - 17 June, 2017
I have a Mac and have no problem recording with Serato Video w/best quality. It's has a nvidia graphics card.
phaeton 9:46 AM - 10 July, 2017
Quote:
My experience with Serato Video has been very hit and miss as my previous post would reveal. But one thing I will say about Serato Video on PC. It CAN be ran flawlessly. But there are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Your off the shelf PC even with some of the most expensive hardware will run SV like crap... (for the lack of a better term)

2. Be mindful of the level of hardware that our Mac counterparts are using.

3. If you spec a Windows laptop with Mac level spec, you CAN in fact, run Serato Video at a comparable level. But it is all based on what CODEC you have and configure.

After a VERY painstaking and laborious process over many man hours, I found a config that works for me with GREAT results.

I want to know some of our Mac users input as well.

My Current Setup:

Msi GS63VR 7RF
CPU: i7-7700HQ (Kaby Lake)
GPU: Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 1060
6GB GDDR5
RAM: 16GB
SSD/HDD: 256GB + 1TB

Controller: Numark NS7 mk3

With LAV filters....I am able to run SV with ZERO ISSUE at Best Quality 1080P. I can even capture performance with BandiCam at 60 fps.

Cons:
You cannot record a Video Mix via Serato Video! Because Mac Users can't even do it without Mix Emergency.

Note: I have run into some minor issues (green/white blank screens) after leaving Serato Video sitting idle for HOURS and attempting to pickup a mix. I suspect a memory leak somewhere but it has never "wet the bed" in a performance.

This is from my personal experience so, of course, your mileage may vary.

Are you able to post up your settings....what filters did you use, Ive got a msi ge72vr with similar specs...when i first got it i did all the lav filters "use directx" reg edit tool optimised the graphics card etc...but some of the videos would play upside down...to far the left and not centered....but then i reinstalled windows and used the original settings (quicktime) and its goin good now, apart from some 1080p videos being a bit laggy...otherwise im getting 60-80 fps.

Msi GE72vr
CPU: i7 770HQ
GPU: nvidia 1060 6gb
Ram: 16gb
SSD/HD 256gb + 2tb + 1tb (optical drive)
Mike Boogie 8:55 PM - 17 July, 2017
@phaeton

imgur.com

Take a look here. Let me know your findings. I want to escalate a case to Serato about parity.
phaeton 9:23 AM - 18 July, 2017
Quote:
@phaeton

imgur.com

Take a look here. Let me know your findings. I want to escalate a case to Serato about parity.

Did you run the regedit tool or did you just install lav filters, Thanks.
phaeton 9:43 AM - 18 July, 2017
Quote:
@phaeton

imgur.com

You the man!! wow...originally playing 2 x 1280x720 videos i was getting 7-10 fps...Now im getting 90fps! videos are playing smoothly now, and i can use 2gb buffer without white flashes! Thanks!
Mike Boogie 4:10 AM - 27 July, 2017
All good man! Glad to see you got it rolling...

I am still taking issue with Serato because, I want Mac level parity! I'm talking 1080p files recording at Best Quality w/ effects and recording it all with ZERO dropouts like so many Mac Users claim.

I shouldn't have to compromise just because of my native OS, my hardware is WELL over spec.
Marcelo santana 7:35 PM - 26 February, 2019
Alguma sugestão do serato vídeo com o spout em 2019 JÁ?
Dj Voicy 4:29 AM - 8 April, 2019
Hi need help with mixemergency setup for it to display video.. Am using serato Dj pro and Ddjsz2 what seems to be the problem with compatibility
popnwave 5:05 PM - 8 April, 2019
Quote:
Hi need help with mixemergency setup for it to display video.. Am using serato Dj pro and Ddjsz2 what seems to be the problem with compatibility

What's the problem? I have no issues with that setup.
DJ Branca 9:32 AM - 20 August, 2019
Quote:

Laz219 unfortunately DJ on a Windows PC laptop you will have to use other plugin solutions, or video software.

I say this because MixEmergency is software for Mac OS X, or macOS and Inklen the manufacturer doesn't care about porting their software to Windows.

So your only quality options would be to use Virtual DJ 8 2019, or Resolume Arena, or Arkaos Gran VJ.

So if you want to use MixEmergency you will have to buy an Apple laptop running macOS, or at least if you have the patience and knowledge to make an excellent Hackintosh.
Laz219 11:03 AM - 20 August, 2019
I know that, my point was the OP was bitching about how he doesn't want a mac....when it's nothing to do with Serato that ME isn't available on PC.
BattleFunk 6:38 PM - 23 December, 2019
Quote:
I know that, my point was the OP was bitching about how he doesn't want a mac....when it's nothing to do with Serato that ME isn't available on PC.

That wasn't the point I was making - I was trying to convey that I already know that Serato Video works great with the ME plugin, so that wouldn't be a solution for me - using a PC. The guy from Inklen was the guy who started Serato Video (VSL) in the first place and then left to do his own company (from what I remember).

=)
Culprit 2:23 AM - 24 December, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

That wasn't the point I was making - I was trying to convey that I already know that Serato Video works great with the ME plugin, so that wouldn't be a solution for me - using a PC. The guy from Inklen was the guy who started Serato Video (VSL) in the first place and then left to do his own company (from what I remember).

=)

He was also part of the original scratch live team from version 0 to 1.5